EV the future ?

For reviews / technical discussions on the other car.. using the knowledge of others on the forum
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: EV the future ?

Post by warpc0il »

This was two years ago
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
YORKSHIRE777
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by YORKSHIRE777 »

Anyone see top gear Sunday? They have produced a petrol alternative that's eco friendly sadly says its expensive to produce £10 a litre but maybe 1 day🤞
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

I hope you don`t mean the two clowns plus one have produced a petrol alternative :shaking: You mean one day in the not to distant future past 2030 I might finally be able to brush the cobwebs off and run the RX-8 again. :yeah:

Del.
These users thanked the author Delanor for the post:
Milos_Balunovic (Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:22 pm)
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, K & N filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
Milos_Balunovic
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Milos_Balunovic »

Carbon neutral petrol/jet fuel(petroleum)/diesel has been around for at least 10 years in lab and 5ish in small scale production. Sadly they still haven't figured out a way to make it large scale.

They are capturing CO2 out of atmosphere and making fuel out of it.

But ofc you need energy to create that fuel, mainly electric where 100% of energy used is not transferred in to fuel chemical energy, and than you have the even more so inefficient engine.

There is no way to create fuel out of thin air. Energy has to come from somewhere.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Milos_Balunovic wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:26 pm
There is no way to create fuel out of thin air. Energy has to come from somewhere.
Well this is energy out of thick air, higher in CO2, so that's the energy source.

The current issue is that it takes more energy to produce the end fuel, than there is in that fuel.
However, this isn't an entropy problem, it's just an inefficient process, that doesn't scale well.

With sufficient encouragement someone will find a more efficient process and a real sustainable fuel source will emerge.
Most of the funding is currently coming from the commercial aircraft industry, as grown bio-fuel (e.g. corn-based) is even less sustainable than dinosaur souls.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Milos_Balunovic (Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:51 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Milos_Balunovic
Club Member
Club Member

warpc0il wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:07 am
The current issue is that it takes more energy to produce the end fuel, than there is in that fuel.
Well unless we are taking some grown bio product and only altering it by natural processes (oil alcohol etc) there is no way to make more energy out of it than we put in to it as that would break the energy conservation and create a perpetum mobile.

Ie, "bonding" CO2 (even if we neglect the capturing part) to Hydrogen molecules (which is also not really available in pure form) unless made by enzymes or plants will always use more energy than it can be stored in it.

Thus any energy used to create such fuel will be wasted by inefficient ICE engines.

A world where this would be good (imho) is only if we have an abundance of electricity becouse we have finally cracked "cold" fusion on large scale. And can use a very green energy source (as solar, water, wind etc are more rotten green than trully green) to create this fuel from all the CO2 in the air even if its in the end a very inefficient process to keep the ICE going.

Even more speculation for entertainment.
Cold fusion probably wont come online before all of the ICE vehicles (and we, our children, and probably grandchildren) have died.
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

Latest advice to EV owners due to the recent high temps - keep the car in the shade and don't exceed 80% on a charge as batteries don't like the heat! #-o

Del
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, K & N filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
GreySilver Beast
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

EV the future ?

Post by GreySilver Beast »

What utter rubbish :!: :!:
GSB-TDU (Nigel) - Committee - Events Coordinator & Events Team Admin

RX-8OC Club Calendar , Events and Meetings & My Website

My two cars = " Blue Beast " M3LR AB AWD
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

GreySilver Beast
Committee Member
Committee Member

EV the future ?

Most of the New EV's including Tesla's have what's known as "Cabin Protection", so providing you have it activated it will automatically cool the batteries down and then in cold weather, will warm them back up to operating temperature =D> =D> =D> =D>

So in the case of the Tesla Brand the "Cabin Protection" kicks in when the car reaches +40C hot weather and -20C[?] in cold weather and then starts to cool the interior and batteries back down again :thumleft:

Usual press scare mongering regarding EV's :evil:
These users thanked the author GreySilver Beast for the post:
Milos_Balunovic (Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:52 am)

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Tesla wrote:Note
Cabin Overheat Protection operates until 12 hours has elapsed since you exited Model 3, or until the Battery energy drops below 20%, whichever comes first.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
GreySilver Beast
Committee Member
Committee Member

EV the future ?

Dave mine has been switching on and off all the time =D> and I last drove the Tesla on Monday when I came back from Thruxton :thumleft:

Milos_Balunovic
Club Member
Club Member

I have my overheat protection off as it is sitting in the sun. And it is more for comfort as to when you sit in the car (you can turn on. The climate before that so...)
You can see my temp from 2 days ago and that while the car was charging and reached 90% SOC.

The cabin overheat protection has nothing to do with battery! It eill turn on no matter the SOC% if the battery is in danger (of overheating).
There is absolutely no danger of letting the battery cool down to -40°C appart from lost power at the moment it turns on. And it will take few minutes for electrolites to start flowing.

The battery however cannot be charged under 0°C so the car will always in firs hand heat the battery to safe temp and only than start charging it if there is enough power coming in vs power needed to keep the battery in safe temp range
Attachments
Screenshot_2022-07-19-16-05-50-533_com.teslamotors.tesla.jpg
These users thanked the author Milos_Balunovic for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:55 pm)
Milos_Balunovic
Club Member
Club Member

a fun fact since they have all the fing data pushed to them, so they know how much each one uses/produces...
"telsa solar panels have produced more energy so far than all the Tesla cars needed for manufacturing and operation/charging/suppercharging"
These users thanked the author Milos_Balunovic for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:00 pm)
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

Now I just need to be able to get my hands on some. Been trying for a year to buy Tesla roof tiles.

Return to “The Other Car..”