Harry's blue Mazda 2!

For reviews / technical discussions on the other car.. using the knowledge of others on the forum
GreySilver Beast
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: Prospective Buyer
Colour: Custom

Harry's blue Mazda 2!

Post by GreySilver Beast »

Harry gets around :lol:
These users thanked the author GreySilver Beast for the post:
Whizzp (Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:13 pm)
GSB-TDU (Nigel) - Committee - Events Coordinator & Events Team Admin

RX-8OC Club Calendar , Events and Meetings & My Website

My two cars = " GSB III " --- " Blue Beast " ---- Chit Chat
ChrisHolmes
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: Harry's blue Mazda 2!

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Whizzp wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:41 am
ChrisHolmes wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:04 am
Confused here! You live in Doncaster and Ben in Lancaster yet you found yourself in his neighbourhood when you went to Newcastle. My brain cannot put that geography together!
Apologies Chris, this is my fault! :lol:

At the beginning of March I bought my first house and relocated myself to just south of Newcastle!
Since then I've been super busy so haven't had time to update my profile or do anything on the OC really. :(
But I will do it now to save people confusion :)
😆 no apology needed, bit of a pointless post by me really!
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post:
Whizzp (Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:13 pm)
AB Bucket seats & 5 point harnesses
Rebuilt 6 port
Pettit SC
Racing Beat alloy flywheel, oil lines & ARBs , REV 8 Full SS Exh
Stg1 Exedy Clutch
AEM Smart Coils & MSD leads
Remote oil filter
Tein MonoSports & EDFC
Fully polybushed
Racing Brake 4 Pot Calipers
LED Rear Lights
MazdaSpeed skirts & Rear Spoiler
Safety Devices Full cage
Lockwood SS Grills
Mishimoto Catch Tank
HarSc
Media Team
Media Team
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White

Post by HarSc »

Ok, so since I got the car, I noticed the clutch pedal was clicking almost every time it is pressed. Was expecting to need a new pedal assembly honestly but after some digging, it turns out it's not only a common issue, but generally seen as the normal for these things :lol: so - Mk. 6 fiestas and all of this generation of Mazda 2 have the same ford clutch pedal and accompanying parts, so that's a stupid amount of cars on the road with an annoying click it seems :giggle:

Anyways! Makes it easy for me because they make a little spacer specifically for this it seems, and it just fills up the entire gap that the clutch pedal plunger thing used to have to move across and make that click sound as you press it down. So pop that on, tighten the grub screw and pop the original C clip back on the end of the bar (probably not needed now and overkill, but might aswell!) so now it's all snug - buttery smooth and no click [-X :lol:

I mean, I just don't quite get how it got designed and left like that? Surely all the chaps testing them heard the click! #-o anyhoo, it's fixed now, and I can change gear in peace ;)

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Some guy from oooop north ;)

- My RX-8 R3 thread here
- My Mazda 2 DE daily thread here
- My Double DIN radio guide here
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

I suspect it relates to the length of your legs and whether your left knee hangs out when driving.
If so then the press action on the clutch has an element of side-thrust which would promote the clicking.

This is certainly a factor in RX8 clutch pedal assemblies cracking, as most Japanese has short legs and they assumed that the action would be straight down.

The fatigue test rig that does millions of operations, in preproduction testing, didn't have any side-thrust element #-o [-X
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
HarSc (Wed May 04, 2022 9:23 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
HarSc
Media Team
Media Team

Post by HarSc »

Yeah, now I think of it, I do tend to have my leg out to the left more, so inevitably i'll end up kicking it to the right slightly, aye. Probably do the same in the 8 too :lol: but! The clicks gone for now so that'll do, and hopefully shouldn't damage the plunger at least, even if my sideways kicking ends up being the demise of the pedal bracket. If I end up kicking the pedal into oblivion and damage it, i'll have to find a breaker and swap it out ;) :lol: not the end of the world hah! :p

- My RX-8 R3 thread here
HarSc
Media Team
Media Team

Post by HarSc »

Ok, so got a bit of time this evening to go over some bits on the 2! As per a couple of posts back, I had done an oil change where the old oil was seriously dirty/black, and so I grabbed another bunch of oil and whatnot, also recently got a stash of crush washers, only had one spare last time, so now I have a load as they work on both the 2 and the 8 8) :lol: living this lavish life I'mma be changing them every time I touch that drain plug! :thumright:

But yeah, back to the 2, got it up on stands, raised the front coilovers again to a more reasonable height, now it's roughly even with arch gaps on front and rear instead of being absolutely slammed at the front, (you can see how much clean thread is now exposed :lol: :lol:)

Really happy with the underside, as there's barely any rust whatsoever, and having covered just shy of 120k miles, it's doing good! :mrgreen:

I think my next job will be faffing in the rear drums, I have been noticing a pulsing sound from the rear when driving, no difference in feel and still drives/brakes well, but as I had it in the air I spun both rear wheels independently and they're both rubbing on part of the revolution. Never had to faff with drums, so Whether it just needs adjusting/cleaning or I need new hardware in there, not too sure. Need to do some research on that one before I let loose :-k :lol:

Anyways, here's some photos ;)

PXL_20220512_155528224.jpg
PXL_20220512_162911794.jpg
PXL_20220512_162916501.jpg
PXL_20220512_163606998.jpg
PXL_20220512_170621288.jpg
PXL_20220512_172303395.jpg
These users thanked the author HarSc for the post (total 2):
GreySilver Beast (Thu May 12, 2022 10:15 pm) • ChrisHolmes (Fri May 13, 2022 7:14 pm)

- My RX-8 R3 thread here

Return to “The Other Car..”