Phils little civic ek3

For reviews / technical discussions on the other car.. using the knowledge of others on the forum
Pippypip
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black

Re: Phils little civic ek3

Post by Pippypip » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:21 pm

So I decided to buy a cheap eBay short shifter to give it a go because why not for £13....

The install was actually very easy apart from the stupid bolts Honda use to hold the shifter to the shifter linkage as they don’t have bolt heads. The result was me having to take the whole linkage out and using a pair of pliers and a ratchet to undo the bolts.

So far seems pretty good and has halved the shift distance, not that it’s going to make any difference really on my little d15 engine.

Also ended up removing the headlights and finding a bunch of messed up wiring which I will have to replace tomorrow when I get some new h4 connectors from amazon. Plan is to spray the lights in satin black like I did with my Rx8 Image

These users thanked the author Pippypip for the post:
MARKTHOMASBRAND (Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:51 pm)

Pippypip
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Pippypip » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:33 pm

So last weekend I decided I was annoyed with how tinny and loud the Japspeed exhaust I got was and remembered I still had the power flow muffler the previous owner had given me. So I got inspired and decided to buy a little sealey mightymig flux welder.

So this morning I got out my angle grinder and cut up both the backboxes and welded them together.

This was actually quite an easy process as the pipes had a big enough difference in diameter to slide over each other and both pipes also had a similar angle coming out of the muffler.

This is what it looked like after I had tacked the pipe in place. I don’t want to show my final welds as they are not pretty at all (and this was my first time welding Image) but I am happy enough with the strength and they should hold fine.

The hangers were a bit of a pain as the Japspeed hangers weren’t a straight swap due to the different muffler design, so I ended up grinding them back a bit and then welding them straight to the power flow box.

This is the bit that I’m not happy with as I didn’t get the position right and the muffler hangs slightly to the side. I will change this later but my it started to rain so I decided it’s good enough for now.

My goal for this whole little project was to make it a bit quieter... but obviously that didn’t happen but at least I’m now sounds a bit better I guess Image
MARKTHOMASBRAND (Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:54 pm)

Pippypip
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Pippypip » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:38 pm

Last night I also removed the headlights which due to previous bodge jobs were a pain. Ended up breaking one of the h4 connectors and am currently waiting for a new one to turn up today from amazon along with new bulbs.

After taking them out I whacked them in the oven and separated them, undid the 3 little torx screws, scuffed up the light surrounds and sprayed them black.

I then sealed the lights up again and put them back in the oven which produced this as the final result.

Once they are back in the car I will wet sand them back and polish them to get rid of the haze as well as a little bit of butyl that I got on the lenses as I was rushing a bit.
MARKTHOMASBRAND (Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:55 pm)

Pippypip
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Pippypip » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:01 am

So I woke up this morning with the intention of cutting and polishing the civic. However I forgot to remind myself how bad the paint was.

So after a quick clay bar and wash I started....

The result was.... well a lot of poorly applied clear coat flaking off of my roof and making a mess....

It’s such a shame as it’s a nice colour but the paint is in wayyy too bad condition to save so maybe an at home bodge respray is required after lockdown ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Pippypip for the post (total 2):
Vj4sothername (Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:13 pm) • MARKTHOMASBRAND (Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:33 pm)

MARKTHOMASBRAND
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MARKTHOMASBRAND » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:37 pm

If it's just the roof where the lacquer is peeling you could always have that wrapped in Black or carbon effect :colors:
These users thanked the author MARKTHOMASBRAND for the post:
Pippypip (Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:42 pm)
Mark's : 2020 Championship White Honda Civic FK8 Type R .

Mandy's : 2019 Mazda MX-5 30th Anniversary RF # 1761/3000.

Pippypip
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Pippypip » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:42 pm

MARKTHOMASBRAND wrote:If it's just the roof where the lacquer is peeling you could always have that wrapped in Black or carbon effect :colors:
That’s what I was originally thinking but it’s also on the pillars, bonnet and front and rear bumper. The doors are also caked in stone chips so it makes sense to just respray the whole thing. It’s not getting anything specially just a single stage job for now I recon.... just got to figure out the colour, right now I’m leaning towards anthracite grey or maybe even a dark blue/purple.

MARKTHOMASBRAND
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MARKTHOMASBRAND » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:49 pm

Aaaaah that's a shame & all because it's been left in the elements without having any polish/wax to protect it #-o

I know it's a fair few years old but no reason why that paintwork shouldn't still look presentable :p

Go Championship White like the EK9 Type R :colors:

Pippypip
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Pippypip » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:55 pm

MARKTHOMASBRAND wrote:Aaaaah that's a shame & all because it's been left in the elements without having any polish/wax to protect it #-o

I know it's a fair few years old but no reason why that paintwork shouldn't still look presentable :p

That was another consideration along with nardo grey but I don’t want to do something that’s so common or build a type r rep which has put me off going with white.

Well that and all the dirt that white cars accumulate ahah, after washing my dads white civic on the weekend the amount of dirt that showed up on it was incredible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goobie
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Goobie » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:57 pm

MARKTHOMASBRAND wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:49 pm
THIS!

MARKTHOMASBRAND
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MARKTHOMASBRAND » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:02 pm

Those "Work" alloys you have on there ATM could be repainted in Anthracite or Bronze for a nice contrast :colors:

These users thanked the author MARKTHOMASBRAND for the post:
Pippypip (Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:05 pm)

Pippypip
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Pippypip » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:05 pm

MARKTHOMASBRAND wrote:Those "Work" alloys you have on there ATM could be repainted in Anthracite or Bronze for a nice contrast :colors:

Hmmmm I mean that combo does look amazing so maybe I may have to reconsider aha

MARKTHOMASBRAND
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MARKTHOMASBRAND » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:13 pm

Of course your idea of a darker colour (Blue/Purple/Grey) with a contrasting white wheel would look awesome too 8)

Championship White is a doddle to keep clean :colors:

Much easier than dealing with annoying water marks on darker colours :nod:

The Crystal Black Pearl I had on the Black Edition was amazing but washing it in the hot Summer months & trying to dry it asap before the rinsing water baked on there was a pain :lol:

I've had White wheels too & you need to wash them like every other day :whistle:

Pippypip
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Pippypip » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:09 pm

MARKTHOMASBRAND wrote:Of course your idea of a darker colour (Blue/Purple/Grey) with a contrasting white wheel would look awesome too 8)

Championship White is a doddle to keep clean :colors:

Much easier than dealing with annoying water marks on darker colours :nod:

The Crystal Black Pearl I had on the Black Edition was amazing but washing it in the hot Summer months & trying to dry it asap before the rinsing water baked on there was a pain :lol:

I've had White wheels too & you need to wash them like every other day :whistle:
Yeah I have made up my mind on the wheel colour that I’m going for already which is basically a deep copper/bronze colour as black and anthracite wheels are boring to me. Issue is just figuring out the best colour to go with them as most colours work.
MARKTHOMASBRAND (Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:14 pm)

GreySilver Beast
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Phils little civic ek3

Post by GreySilver Beast » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:53 pm

I would prefer you to kept the original colour seeing there's likely to be very few left :(
GSB-TDU - Committee - Events Coordinator & Events Team Admin
RX-8OC Club Calendar
NPT Website
GSB III 03/08/13 - Present
New ****** 2021/22

Return to “The Other Car..”