Just about to buy....

A chance to introduce yourself...
iebah
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Just about to buy....

Post by iebah »

Hello, I'm hoping to buy a 2008 231 RX8 in the next few days. At the moment it does not start. If I can start it up within one day of me working on it I will buy it (price already agreed).
The battery was shot, but I brought a recently charged battery with me. This failed to start it. In desperation I started flooring the accelerator while trying to start it, and this appeared to make a difference, but I didn't know what to do exactly and it still didn't start. BTW, my battery is lower rated than the standard RX8 battery, 44AH, 440CCA and had 13.0V according to my multimeter. I could probably recharge the owner's battery and try that, it's much bigger. I have a good charger.
When I got home and researched what might be wrong, it seems likely it is flooded. The owner had managed to start it off a jump start a week or so before (because he knew the battery was flat), but it conked out shortly after and he gave up. It had been standing a few weeks, and then effectively turned off while cold.
Do you all think it's flooded, and if so what should I take with me to make it work again? The owner said it always started hot or cold until it was left standing for a long time recently.
Thanks for any advice. If I have to spend more than a day getting it to start I don't have to buy it! MOT is good until April.
Cheers, Tom
Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Re: Just about to buy....

Post by Nickp47 »

Is it the black one with Anniversary wheels? If so, it is highly likely to be flooded.
iebah
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by iebah »

Silver ten spoke wheels. In Surrey.
iebah
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by iebah »

Sorry, yes, the car is black.
iebah
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by iebah »

and they are anniversary wheels, I just searched.
iebah
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by iebah »

Please tell me what you know Nickp 47! And thanks for the super-rapid response.
Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Nickp47 »

That’s the one, I sold it to the chap on a spares or repair basis a few months back as compression is pretty average .
Having said that, it started fine when hot, drove OK and has very good service history so will make a great usable project.
Just give it a tow if you can and I am confident it will be running soon enough.
These users thanked the author Nickp47 for the post:
iebah (Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:29 pm)
iebah
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by iebah »

How cool! The owner seems like a good guy, and he doesn't mind me working on it on his drive. I'm thinking I could pick up his battery one night, charge it, and then next day try one of the flooding procedures. Do you recommend taking the plugs out, and if so do you then try to start it without plugs in to get rid of excess fuel? Or have you never flooded an RX8?
Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Nickp47 »

I have deflooded many an RX-8 :) . Towing is quickest but if that’s not an option personally I don’t faff around with plugs or fuses, just put a fully charged battery in, hook it up to another running car with some chunky jump leads and turn the engine over with your foot down on the accelerator for ten seconds or so a good five or six times with gaps of a minute or so in between to allow battery to charge and starter to not take too much stress.
iebah
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by iebah »

Wow, if that works it won't take long. Great, I'll try that. Obviously I'll bring some tools in case that doesn't work, but I don't know what else is likely to stop it starting if the owner is being truthful about it.
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 30405 »

Nickp47 wrote:I have deflooded many an RX-8 :) . Towing is quickest but if that’s not an option personally I don’t faff around with plugs or fuses, just put a fully charged battery in, hook it up to another running car with some chunky jump leads and turn the engine over with your foot down on the accelerator for ten seconds or so a good five or six times with gaps of a minute or so in between to allow battery to charge and starter to not take too much stress.
Just to expand on nicks response.

"foot down on the accelerator" this cuts fuel delivery, so make sure you bury the accelerator when turning over. Image
These users thanked the author 30405 for the post (total 2):
iebah (Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:29 pm) • Nickp47 (Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:44 pm)
iebah
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by iebah »

Right, thanks.
These users thanked the author iebah for the post:
30405 (Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:16 pm)
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Just about to buy....

Post by GreySilver Beast »

Hi Tom & :welcome: to the RX-8OC :thumleft:

<<<<<< Please put your Location in your Profile Box, it will help us to know where you are, if required any help in the future :thumright:

Please check out the EVENTS SECTION's for anything coming up soon in your area :thumleft:

Events Team
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "