SprintRX8
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231

Re: RX8 for sprinting/hillclimbing

Post by SprintRX8 »

Steve.82 wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:29 am
It’s 1300, anything else is interpretation. Same as my 300 2 stroke not being called 600cc just because it fires twice as often.
So why where the early RXs 2300 and 2600.

What’s your 300 2Stroke.

On the other note.
Most modern petrol engine cars have wasted spark ignition systems.
So they fire both at TDC and BBDC
Does that make a 2.0 Focus a 4.0.
13BLT Renesis Rotary powered Dolomite Sprint in the making😏.
Balanced Lightened and Tweaked.and Supercharged.
Steve.82
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Steve.82 »

Trying to make it fit in so customers could understand what they’re like compared to other normal 4 stroke things?

A KTM EXC. crazy little thing with knobblies on… would love an old 250 twin, like an RGV or similar but they’re £££££ now - missed the boat….

Wasted spark is just that, wasted, not sure you could claim a 4L Focus from that :)
Steve.82
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Steve.82 »

Well, took mine up Shelsley yesterday. Going by GPS timing I wouldn’t have been last :) Some fresh tyres and race day commitment it shouldn’t be a million miles off.
These users thanked the author Steve.82 for the post:
30405 (Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:39 am)
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

divetrucker wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:01 am
Thanks Pete,
I will need to get very creative with weight saving to minimise their weight advantage, so single-skin plastic or alloy bonnet/boot will be an important step. This ain't gonna be a shopping car! :)
You might want to look at Clive's race car topic for ideas on weight saving: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=44482

The original RX-8 bonnet is aluminium, so little weight to be saved by changing it, but you could remove the sound insulation. I have a Seibon CF bonnet and it weighs pretty much the same as the OEM bonnet!

Clive fitted a plastic bootlid to save weight, plus recently fitted glassfibre (?) front doors. Plastic side windows. He's removed the very heavy PPF, but with the power he's running the diff braces failed in a race - now sorted.

You might want to contact him to discuss some ideas on weight saving.
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Those gf doors on Clive's car are scary, when you can see the light shining through and read the exterior graphics, backwards from the inside :shock:

You need a roll cage with full side protection before even thinking about those/
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Nanotrox
Media Team
Media Team
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Nanotrox »

Don't know how much my input will help here but I have an x type and RX8 and I don't know how much you can alter the car from stock

X-types 3.0 bad points in my eyes: 300 pounds heavier than the 8, the stock exhaust is really restrictive, aftermarket support is pretty much non existent bar Adamesh (Their performance exhaust is really nice, but you'd still need a custom solution to the downpipe) throttle and brake pedals have a big gap so not nice for heel/toel, the duratec engine can push a lot more power but the transfer case will eat itself up over 250hp I believe car is 231 stock? remap can get you maybe 10hp that's with a less restrictive exhaust and the seats are awful stock for even spirited driving

Good points for the X-type - good power, engine will keep going car will fall apart first as evident in our previous x-type, AWD is really good 60/40 split and the car grips like anything with good tyres, has a mint growl from a healthy engine @4krpm and above, cold air intake stock

I would personally choose the 8 over the X-type after spiritedly driving both but never used them in comps or on track

*btw if you do compete with an x-type brake upgrade is a must in my eyes
40th Anniversary Edition 369/400 203rwhp
Engine Rebuild + Street Port - 24/09/2021
Lightened and balanced rotors
Pettit Catback
Smoked Rear S2 Style Taillights
Exedy Clutch
CC Ultra Lightweight Flywheel
CC Counterweight
Tein S.Tech Lowering Springs
Racing Beat Ram Air Intake
Footwell LEDs

Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=83328
Soger22
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Soger22 »

Hello everyone.
I am looking to join hillclimb/sprint also and i want to set the question as simply as is....if you are a new driver you arent allowed to go above 2000l if i am correct with this will i be able to race with RX8 straight from start?
The reason i ask is i dont rly like the hatchbacks and i was thinking to buy an RX8 anyway cause i love rotary engines AND if i could also race it that could be the best thing for me (it looks awesome also).

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english is not my mother language.
Steve.82
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Steve.82 »

Interclub license limits you to certain championships but not aware of class limitations in road classes at least. Need signatures and a few ££ to upgrade to national if you want to after the 1st year.

Amazed there aren’t more RX’s about to be honest. Where are you looking at running?