Previous owner problems…

A chance to introduce yourself...
Andy____
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
Has thanked: 0

Previous owner problems…

Post by Andy____ »

Car failed on emissions badly, something like 50x allowable. (See photos).
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UiZC5bMn1ci7L216A

There’s some photos above.
The plugs are in the position they are on the car. (ie top left plug is top left, etc).

2 plugs are in the wrong positions.

#1. Is there any reason / upgrade that would mean you would swap the plug positions (I assume not). I have not checked wire routing, but the top 2 plug leads had green and blue bands on them.

What damage has been done ?

New coils and plugs, or just put them in the correct cylinder.
I’m pretty sure my cats f*%led as the exhaust rattles.

Any ideas appreciated, I’ve got 10 days to fix and retest it before I have to pay again.
It’s an 2005 uk 5 speed (193 I think it’s called?)

To try and clear emissions the garage had me drive hard for a few minutes. Redline in every gear. No engine knocking etc.

Thanks for any help!!!
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Re: Previous owner problems…

Post by qwakers »

New cat from Ryan rotary performance or Mazda rotary parts, new plugs leads and coils, also from either the above and see where you are with that. It does sound like the cat is toast and the primary cause of that is a faulty ignition system.
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Previous owner problems…

Post by GreySilver Beast »

Hi Andy & :welcome: to the RX-8OC :thumleft:

<<<<<< Please put your Location in your Profile Box, it will help us to know where you are, if required any help in the future :thumright:

Please check out the EVENTS SECTION's for anything coming up soon in your area :thumleft:

Events Team
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
Andy____
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Andy____ »

I’m not really in a situation to be able to spend much more right now. Misses is already not happy that I bought it.
The plugs look ok, the leads were all around 2.4K ohms, I’m checking the coils tomorrow, I’m suspecting the front o2 sensor, it’s too rich all the time.
Found this, thought I’d post it.
Someone repost and host it, it needs to be google-able.

Rx8 coil test.pdf
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-XBVFH ... p=drivesdk
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

That document is already included in our vast technical library, available to all RX8OC Members.
viewforum.php?f=58
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Andy____
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Andy____ »

I get this when I click your link;

You do not have the required permissions to view or read topics within this forum.

I can’t afford to pay to join the club.
I can’t afford new parts, until it’s necessary.
Basic info like this should be available to owners who google it.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

It costs £31* to join the OC, https://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/members ... Select.php
which is less than half a tank of fuel, or one spark plug.

If you really can't afford that then you definitely bought the wrong car.

While this may sound harsh it's a reality that even a good one is a money-pit, and it doesn't sound like you have a particularity good one.

*£26 pa to renew
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post (total 2):
GreySilver Beast (Tue May 11, 2021 9:42 pm) • New Duke (Sat May 22, 2021 1:13 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Cscameron
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Custom

Post by Cscameron »

My 192 failed emissions at what looks like similar levels to you a couple of months ago. She needed a bit of everything done all at once and as I was on a budget and wasn’t prepared to scrimp on the more important parts (discs, pads, suspension, plugs) I went for a £150 fleabay special cat. Probably not the most popular or best option but I bought it just to get her through knowing it probably won’t last long and I am going to replace/decat in the not to distant future anyway

As for coils and plugs fingers crossed for you they’re ok but it’s really not worth the risk IMO. Might be worth asking if anyone’s got a decent used/unrequired set gathering dust they could sell you to save you a few pennies. Much safer to ask the lovely people (trying to butter them up just in case it helps 😉) on this forum than to risk buying cheap and cheerful online

As warpc0il suggest the best thing to do for a Rex is sort membership on her. Best decision I made - after buying her of course!
You can call me Madam Secretary 8)
Ollie
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Post by Ollie »

Andy____ wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:41 pm
Basic info like this should be available to owners who google it.
It probably is about on the US forums. But they have a lot less access to things than we do so their official Mazda stuff tends to be sparse and random alot of the times.

Access to that information is given to us by Mazda due to warpc0il once working for Ford. Its a privilege that we have access to the entire wealth of knowledge and is a huge benefit of joining the club.

As has been said, RX8s are a money pit even a good one... Fuel cost and tax can and does actually make the difference between people keeping it or moving it along.

Although you can't currently afford parts, you can purchase a Japspeed or similar £200~ hiflow cat that will pass an MOT. But if the rest of the ignition system isn't up to scartch then this could just be solving one thing and not the entire issue.
Club Treasurer

Kentaro The Red - Sadly fallen...
Star Platinum - Work in progress

For whats pending... See here: viewtopic.php?f=204&t=86071
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White

Post by HarSc »

It really is a tough call, as the ignition system to an RX-8 is a place not to skimp as it will not be kind to your engine, or your cat, as you have likely found. It's expensive too - but it's a sports car and comes with the territory of running one. :-k

If you go OEM Rev C coils or RRP MK3, NGK sparks and magnecor leads, you'd be looking at ~300 for coils, 80-100 for plugs and ~70 for leads, and getting a hi-flow cat is probably just over 200 as said. These are the parts that most will run, as they are quality and will work (as long as bought from reputable suppliers) for a long time to come. :D

As Warpc0il has said, it's not a car to take lightly, as it does need maintenance and care - and buy cheap buy twice has never been more true than with parts for an RX-8. The cost of entry to buy the car is so low (generally), but it doesn't mean they're kind to the wallet to run and this is well known - they are often money-pits. Tax, fuel, and general maintenance items as time goes on are not insignificant. There may be someone who has spares that can help you out, as suggested by Cscameron, but it's something to keep eyes open with for future :)

Hope you can get it sorted :thumleft:
Some guy from oooop north ;) | Harry | Membership Secretary | Media Team

- My Main RX-8 R3 [MHZ 3800] thread here
- My Project Banana [GL04 MXU] thread here
- My Mazda 2 DE daily thread here
- My engine disassembly shenanigans here