RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Re: Scottish member

Post by Dom-PZ »

Richrx wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:17 pm
SmuttyHutty wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:30 pm
There is a PZ for sale at a very good price from a member on here: viewtopic.php?f=145&t=83694&p=1324450#p1324450
Thanks for the heads up, I have been checking the forum classifieds/eBay/autotrader/gumtree/car and classic. It's definitely on the "of high interest" list ... Its a black PZ absolutely nothing not to love.

The distance is the initial issue. I have a full-time job and a young family. 6 hrs drive is probably too much( plus the return trip) I'm aware I'll need to wait a few months for the right car to come up. Or buy unseen, which will probably put me to a dealer.

Rich
If you want to know more about it, even if you're not intending to buy it I'm happy to help. It might give you pointers to look for in closer models, or at least give a reference point to compare against. Not sure if non-members can send PMs but if not, should be able to send an email through my profile.
These users thanked the author Dom-PZ for the post:
Richrx (Tue May 04, 2021 6:18 pm)
Richrx
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Richrx »

Hey folks,

With the Rx7 being dragged out from it's slumber in a weeks time I've seen a few R3's creep into budget.

How are the way R3's holding up rust wise, and what about under the side skirts which probably cover most rust issues up. Has anyone seen examples of common rust areas starting?

Rich
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White

Post by HarSc »

Common rust areas are the same as the S1's - where the rear of the sill meets the arch, and front arch. It can bubble and start on the top of the arches (mostly rears) too. These areas normally need to peel back the arch linings to get a good look at them and really see what's going one, and on the R3's, you can just see the metal from behind the skirts on the arches and you can see the sill lip too. There is a Krown rustproofing thread which shows a few undersides of the RX-8 (including mine) i'm not sure if that's locked or not? I don't think so, but the link is here

The skirts do cover a bit, but the problem areas are mostly visible with them still on. I have my side skirts off my R3 at the moment, so if you want any photos of how it should look (or at least how mine does hah!) let me know.

The next ones are only little ones and normally a little sand and some paint fixes these:
On the R3, around where the spoiler and skirts meet the paint, they can rub and cause rusting in very small areas, I think that is quite common and mostly the R3 only. Check for little pockets starting on the door jams too, as if the paint has cracked away there are sometimes little rust spots starting to show there too. I've seen it on a few bonnets too where on the bottom side it peels away where the striker is, worth a check :thumleft:

Just under the third brake light is another one, although that's an easy check hah! Just as long as it doesn't look like this one ;) ;) :lol:
boot rust.jpg

Below is my car - the front edge of the rear wheel arches, that's a very common spot
Rear inside of sills.jpg

Also the sills is a main one as per usual
NSF & R Sill Before.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author HarSc for the post:
Richrx (Tue May 04, 2021 8:00 pm)
Some guy from oooop north ;) | Harry | Membership Secretary | Media Team

- My Main RX-8 R3 [MHZ 3800] thread here
- My Project Banana [GL04 MXU] thread here
- My Mazda 2 DE daily thread here
- My engine disassembly shenanigans here
Richrx
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Richrx »

Great post, many thanks!

So yours is an R3, I had hoped they may be young enough not to suffer... These images are great for aligning my expectations with real cars.

I know photos from 10meters away will always look much better, so these shots are perfect.

I can't access that thread with being a paid member... Anyone else wish to share real world sills etc :lol:

Rich
Craig M
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Craig M »

I have a 10 plate R3 in mint condition that I may consider parting with. It has been fully underseald including arches and skirts.
Few tasteful mods too
Drop me a PM if you want to chat further.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Craig M for the post:
Richrx (Tue May 04, 2021 9:48 pm)
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White

Post by HarSc »

Richrx wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:07 pm
Great post, many thanks!

So yours is an R3, I had hoped they may be young enough not to suffer... These images are great for aligning my expectations with real cars.

I know photos from 10meters away will always look much better, so these shots are perfect.

I can't access that thread with being a paid member... Anyone else wish to share real world sills etc :lol:

Rich
I mean, ultimately, they're still getting on 11/12 years old now, so they're not that young in the scheme of things, and on UK roads, you've got to adjust expectations. You see some 06 cars that are completely gone on sills and arches rust-wise, and that's only 3/4 years ontop of what the R3's are. Just depends on how they're driven and when they're used, an R3 can still be a rust bucket - like the one I looked at before I bought mine. (SN09 LXP, I'm looking at you! :lol: :lol:)

I mean, some surface is to be expected like on mine, as long as the sills are in good shape and the arches are good, I'd call that a win, after all, we know the salt really hates them... Unless you're wanting a pristine perfect example, then you really will have to dig and be willing to travel to find the right one (and pay the good sum too :-k) And if you are dead set on getting it in ship shape, then you can always remove the surface stuff and give it a good lick of underseal/vactan or take it to the likes of Krown rustproofing and get that done. :-k plenty of options as long as the main structure of it gets the thumbs up :thumleft: that's just me, but the damn good examples are out there, it just takes some digging as there are fewer and fewer R3's and 8's in general :^o

If you see any surface rust from the outside or where the paint is supposed to be, that is indicative of a bigger issue underneath that spot or even the whole car, and i'd have thought that there are better examples out there. It's tough to judge as it's hard to really get to know the state of it unless you're under the car and have taken some trims off, but hopefully you can get a good idea for it as is :)
Some guy from oooop north ;) | Harry | Membership Secretary | Media Team

- My Main RX-8 R3 [MHZ 3800] thread here
- My Project Banana [GL04 MXU] thread here
- My Mazda 2 DE daily thread here
- My engine disassembly shenanigans here