A chance to introduce yourself...
rs48635
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: Prospective Buyer
Been thanked: 0

Long time Rx8 admirer - serial MX5 owner

Post by rs48635 »

Always wanted the RX8 but didn't work out. Bumped into car plus two guys on Trackday and re-ignited my interest.
They are all 'getting on a bit now' so will do some careful looking. Always drawn to special editions and of course the 230PS engine.
Is the uprated suspension still a useful feature? Thinking that all cars might benefit from suspension refresh for spirited driving.
Perhaps buying the nest condition car in nice colour is the way to go. Is the suspension readily swapped out and served by aftermarket?
rs48635
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Re: Long time Rx8 admirer - serial MX5 owner

Post by rs48635 »

hmmmm. just read thread on PZ suspension group buy. Seems the original stock is depleted.
Going for a drive-by of RZ for sale near me in Leighton Buzzard. Could be a bargaining tool?
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Long time Rx8 admirer - serial MX5 owner

Post by GreySilver Beast »

Hi & :welcome: to the RX-8OC :thumleft:

<<<<<< Please put your Location in your Profile Box, it will help us to know where you are, if required any help in the future :thumright:

Please check out the EVENTS SECTION's for anything coming up soon in your area :thumleft:

Events Team
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

Hi, and welcome to the forum :D

You mentioned bumping into some RX-8 owners at a trackday - can I ask which one? Were you at the recent 4 Dec Brands day by any chance, as there were loads of us there?

Firstly, have you seen the buyers guide? viewtopic.php?f=25&t=24047

The PZ is great if you are thinking of trackdays. If the suspension is tired then, sadly, the club stock is gone, but there might still be members on here that bought a set, but have changed their plans and might be willing to re-sell. Otherwise, there are plenty of aftermarket options out there; Tein, Miester, Ohlins, BC, etc.

The critical issue now is becoming rust, so look for a good shell, as most other things can be more cheaply/readily fixed, Rear sills and wheelarches are usually the areas to go first.

The engine is the other critical factor in the price you are paying. Look for a car that has had a recent hot compression test with even numbers on all 6 readings, preferably in the 6's all round (high 6's even better). A strategy for many buyers now is to seek a car with a good shell and knackered engine. They can be bought for as little as £500. Then factor in a rebuild of the engine, from around £2,500 for a basic rebuild.

The "poor mans' compression test is to go for a spirited drive to get the engine hot, then switch it off, wait 10 minutes for heat soak to do its work, then re-start. It should start without any signs of struggling.

Also, have a look at the cars for sale on this forum. There are often some great, well looked after, examples for sale on here. If I didn't already have one (and 2 RX-7's!). I'd have snapped one up myself. Have a look here: viewforum.php?f=145

There is currently an absolute bargain PZ listed there (£1500), a sale forced by the unfortunate death of it's owner. I can vouch that the owner was a knowledgeable enthusiast so the car would have been well cared for.

There are some other stonking looking cars in the listing too!

Good luck, keep us updated on your quest ;)
These users thanked the author casey for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:37 pm)
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by SmuttyHutty »

casey wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:30 pm

There is currently an absolute bargain PZ listed there (£1500), a sale forced by the unfortunate death of it's owner. I can vouch that the owner was a knowledgeable enthusiast so the car would have been well cared for.
There WAS a PZ for sale but it is now in my driveway!

viewtopic.php?f=204&t=82867

The car is due a major service and BigPete and I are doing that this weekend. It has some dreaded rust and I have got to take it to a local body shop to get it checked out. Whatever the cost, I will bring this back to good order.
These users thanked the author SmuttyHutty for the post:
casey (Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:30 pm)
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

#-o I read your post about buying that PZ but promptly forgot! I have now added a note to say "SOLD" on the for sale topic.

:thumleft:
These users thanked the author casey for the post:
SmuttyHutty (Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:57 pm)
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SmuttyHutty »

:thumright: Hahahahaha It happens to the best of us.
These users thanked the author SmuttyHutty for the post:
casey (Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:21 pm)
rs48635
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by rs48635 »

Thanks for the welcome. Was at Brands yesterday Tuesday 9th December so missed the gang of you lot. Will catch up one day soon. So far have only booked one more 16th jan 2021 at Bedford.
Have got the general idea now will start visiting the local ones for sale. Nearby seen PZ that doesn't start but does have rust. Going to see standard car in MK that might be a project, advertised at 1300?
Good luck SmuttyHutty with that PZ. It was not meant to be for me.
Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Shagrington »

Hi and :welcome: rs48635. :D Happy hunting and good luck :thumleft:
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes (now finally retired) :cry:
rs48635
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by rs48635 »

Just back from one test drive and heading out to second.
This car drove well, brakes execellent, steering good and nice taut ride / handling. Slight stutter or hesitation going up the revs 5k or 7k but went past that point okay. Parked up and let it stand a few minutes while checking other stuff. Started okay twice more so some re-assurance about compression ?
Guess that any ignition components might cause stutter OR maybe it needs a longer run.
Any advice in case I go back for the longer drive the garage offered?
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by 79398 »

Just go with your gut feeling and be prepared for an initial spend of around £700 to replace all consumables and coils ect just so you know it's all fresh and you have peace of mind, factor that in with the cost be prepared for it and off you go.
So many people buy without thinking of what's needed to eliminate future issues and regret it
rs48635
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by rs48635 »

Thanks Simon.
Much like regular reciprocating engines, where sensible to budget for the cambelt change.
Been to see a "cheap one" that wouldn't start, 2006 evolve model near Milton Keynes via autotrader https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 9qd&page=1
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SmuttyHutty »

rs48635 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:13 pm
Thanks Simon.
Much like regular reciprocating engines, where sensible to budget for the cambelt change.
Been to see a "cheap one" that wouldn't start, 2006 evolve model near Milton Keynes via autotrader https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 9qd&page=1
I saw that a while ago on Autotrader but couldn't find its MoT history online
Screenshot 2020-12-10 at 20.20.32.png
https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

I'm guessing it's a private plate that's been "removed" from the car?
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SmuttyHutty »

Yeah I did wonder that. You'd think the trader would put the original plate on the car so this info could be found.
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by 79398 »

My advice would be to wait and buy off the club, unless you know the cars well, which I don't think you do, or ask someone to look over one, the more you read on here the greater your knowledge and confidence in buying one will be, lots of info on here.
rs48635
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by rs48635 »

SmuttyHutty wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:21 pm
rs48635 wrote:
Thanks Simon.

Wouldn't start - even with booster pack plus donor car jump leads.

The car is LR06 CMK :) Same advisory since 2017 radiator warning light on /coolant light on. Unloved
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SmuttyHutty »

Might be worth a punt with a daft offer and see if they'll take it - if the shell is sound.
rs48635
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by rs48635 »

SmuttyHutty wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:07 pm
Might be worth a punt with a daft offer and see if they'll take it - if the shell is sound.
Been thinking that too, about more than one car. Would need to arrange transport unless they get it started.
The dealer seller in each case confidently reported "started and drove really well when it arrived in part-ex". No reason to doubt them, but engines can expire at any point.
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by bigpete8 »

rs48635 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:39 pm
SmuttyHutty wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:21 pm
rs48635 wrote:
Thanks Simon.

Wouldn't start - even with booster pack plus donor car jump leads.

The car is LR06 CMK :) Same advisory since 2017 radiator warning light on /coolant light on. Unloved
Wouldn't worry about coolant light, it's a common fault as the sensor fails. Only fix is expansion tank replacement hence lots don't.
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Nickp47 »

I would bet at least 50p that Evolve is just flooded . Dealers who aren’t familiar with RX-8s shunt them round the yard quickly without realising they need to run for a little while, I remember it happening at the compound of the main dealer I used to work for.
If you could get it for around £800 that’s worth a punt IMO, assuming you are prepared for all eventualities of course (low compression etc)
rs48635
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by rs48635 »

Nickp47 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:04 am
I would bet at least 50p that Evolve is just flooded . Dealers who aren’t familiar with RX-8s shunt them round the yard quickly without realising they need to run for a little while, I remember it happening at the compound of the main dealer I used to work for.
If you could get it for around £800 that’s worth a punt IMO, assuming you are prepared for all eventualities of course (low compression etc)
Thanks Nick. Beginning to get a feel for the market now. Good cars with proven history and details of work are 'real money' in the thousands.
Everything else is a 'project' where I start assuming the engine might be ruined so worth hundreds of pounds. Basically the price of the car broken for parts.
Seen the same happen to Alfa 166 in the past, which is not pleasant. Wish I had kept my 3.0 V6 manual car but hey ho.
Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Nickp47 »

Alfa 166, now there’s a lovely car, some cars you remember driving just from having spent a short time doing so, the 166 V6 was one of them for me - think it was a 3.2 though
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SmuttyHutty »

rs48635 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:14 am
Nickp47 wrote:
Thanks Nick. Beginning to get a feel for the market now. Good cars with proven history and details of work are 'real money' in the thousands.
Everything else is a 'project' where I start assuming the engine might be ruined so worth hundreds of pounds. Basically the price of the car broken for parts.
Seen the same happen to Alfa 166 in the past, which is not pleasant. Wish I had kept my 3.0 V6 manual car but hey ho.
Might be worth looking in to. Compression numbers look good....
rs48635
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by rs48635 »

SmuttyHutty wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:06 am
rs48635 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:14 am
Nickp47 wrote:
Might be worth looking in to. Compression numbers look good....
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 6705082295
Saw that on Ebay - MOT checker does not find J555 KLF so guess it was on private plate.