Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: 192
Colour: Velocity Red
Has thanked: 0

double din

Post by chrisnclaire1 »

Hi all,

im looking to fit a double din kit, iv had a look around the forums and cant see if anybody has done it them self ie a step by step guide (if so if you could point me in the right direction Thanks) iv seen the metra kits and others but haven't seen any for the auto climate control. i have found this kit

https://incartec.co.uk/product/Mazda-RX ... t-with-SWC
and was wondering if this would work.

i would also like to know if anybody has done it successfully without a kit, extending wires ect as i know you can just pick up the fascia kit for £25. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

double din

Post by GreySilver Beast »

Hi & :welcome: to the RX-8OC :thumleft:

<<<<<< Please put your Location in your Profile Box, it will help us to know where you are, if required any help in the future :thumright:

Please check out the EVENTS SECTION's for anything coming up soon in your area :thumleft:

Events Team
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White

Re: double din

Post by HarSc »

Hi Chrisnclaire1! Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

Personally, I have changed my head unit to a double din touchscreen, however this is in the series 2 (R3) model, which I understand has the climate controls separated from the head unit, whereas the series 1 does not unfortunately. I think that if you were to retain climate controls, you would need an interface, generally including a Metra or connects2 faceplate.

The wiring to change the head unit is quite simple, I'm in the process of writing a small guide for the R3, however as you would need to retain the AC controls - unless you go for a custom Arduino/raspberry pi, an interface box is pretty much the only way to go, I know that Metra do an axxess box, and I think PAC do one too? I'll have a look around on the forum for a guide, I think there should be one somewhere! 8)
Some guy from oooop north ;) | Harry | Membership Secretary | Media Team

- My Main RX-8 R3 [MHZ 3800] thread here
- My Project Banana [GL04 MXU] thread here
- My Mazda 2 DE daily thread here
- My engine disassembly shenanigans here
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

If you are 100% sold on having a double din unit, then that is the only way to go unfortunately. If you're mostly wanting to gain aux or Bluetooth, there are cheaper adapters out there that will allow that functionality, however this is limited to certain firmwares of the S1 head unit. It can be checked as below, quoted from warpc0il:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=35768

"To get the firmware level, push and hold the TEXT button and then at the same time push the number 1 button on the stereo and hold ( make sure you are in FM mode)
If you do it right it will tell you your Firmware. If you do it wrong it will say CLEAR.

Lower than 9.55, or 9.81 or 10.01 do not support the AUX input option and are virtually worthless
Higher than 9.55, other than 9.81 or 10.01 are in demand for those wanting a replacement that does support the AUX input option."

YellowFish
Club Member
Club Member

Post by YellowFish »

HarSc wrote:Hi Chrisnclaire1! Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

Personally, I have changed my head unit to a double din touchscreen, however this is in the series 2 (R3) model, which I understand has the climate controls separated from the head unit, whereas the series 1 does not unfortunately. I think that if you were to retain climate controls, you would need an interface, generally including a Metra or connects2 faceplate.

The wiring to change the head unit is quite simple, I'm in the process of writing a small guide for the R3, however as you would need to retain the AC controls - unless you go for a custom Arduino/raspberry pi, an interface box is pretty much the only way to go, I know that Metra do an axxess box, and I think PAC do one too? I'll have a look around on the forum for a guide, I think there should be one somewhere! 8)
I saw your thread on this, I've got an R3 and the aux has died so I was thinking of putting a new HU in. Keen to see the guide when you get a chance to upload it, would also be good to know what wiring and facia kits were needed. I looked like you spliced into the line level input rather than using a converter box?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

I didn't end up using the line level outs from the head unit harness as I used the stock amp, I took a passthrough harness and canibalised it, soldered some RCA cables I had lying around into the custom harness so it was pre-outs.

I'll hopefully pull my dash apart this weekend to take some better photos, and I've started writing it up but I'm still to finish it. If the weekend is cold and wet it should be done soon, will probably not be in order at all but I'll try and organise it so it makes sense hah! ;) :D

chrisnclaire1
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
Colour: Velocity Red
Has thanked: 0

Post by chrisnclaire1 »

Thanks for the replies.

look like saving a few hundred pennies after xmas,

HarSc will look forward to reading your thread!
These users thanked the author chrisnclaire1 for the post:
HarSc (Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:38 pm)
WildMan10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by WildMan10 »

There's plenty of info on RX8Club.com on an R3 change, see forum here.

There's plenty of info here on the S1 in the members' sections or on RX8Club.com here.
Ian
Now back to one, a white R3. Gone but not forgotten: 04 Tit Grey 231, 06 Copper Red Evolve (231), 09 VR R3, 10 Aurora Blue R3, 06 Black PZ; RX87 13BREW project car ;-( ; 04 White with Greddy turbo conversion ;-(

Buying a used RX8 turbo is like marrying a stripper.
Beware - older people may be cr@p drivers but they can afford better lawyers
SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by SmuttyHutty »

HarSc wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:59 pm
If you are 100% sold on having a double din unit, then that is the only way to go unfortunately. If you're mostly wanting to gain aux or Bluetooth, there are cheaper adapters out there that will allow that functionality, however this is limited to certain firmwares of the S1 head unit. It can be checked as below, quoted from warpc0il:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=35768

"To get the firmware level, push and hold the TEXT button and then at the same time push the number 1 button on the stereo and hold ( make sure you are in FM mode)
If you do it right it will tell you your Firmware. If you do it wrong it will say CLEAR.

Lower than 9.55, or 9.81 or 10.01 do not support the AUX input option and are virtually worthless
Higher than 9.55, other than 9.81 or 10.01 are in demand for those wanting a replacement that does support the AUX input option."
Hey Harry, are you totally sure about the 10.01 not having aux?

I've checked my PZ and its stereo has firmware 10.01 but it also has a working aux cable....
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

SmuttyHutty wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:21 pm

Hey Harry, are you totally sure about the 10.01 not having aux?

I've checked my PZ and its stereo has firmware 10.01 but it also has a working aux cable....
May well be wrong with that one - haven't had personal experience with firmware versions - I was pulling from another topic Dave (Warpc0il) had replied to. If you've had a 10.01 working on an aux then that's proof to that firmware being ok. Haven't explored how the S1s integrate with external inputs #-o :?

SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SmuttyHutty »

It might be some magical trickery and soldering in the back of the unit. I won't know until it is pulled from the car. I need to get it out and swap it with my minidisc enabled stereo.
Ollie
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Custom

Post by Ollie »

Depends on the aux method. I think 10.01 can have aux via some kits. I know my 10.01 stereo had a parrot Bluetooth system that had a few connections on it but can't recall if aux was one since I only used the Bluetooth.
Club Treasurer

Kentaro The Red - Sadly fallen...
Star Platinum - Work in progress

For whats pending... See here: viewtopic.php?f=204&t=86071
WildMan10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by WildMan10 »

Given the challenges and costs of getting a successful air con system working, if I had an S1 then I’d leave the existing HU in place and either:
A. put double din or single DIN with large flip-out screen where the sat nav housing would be, building a bespoke enclosure around it.
B. Get one of the HUs that have a display connected to a main unit hidden behind the dash, eg this unit , fixing the display either:
a. In front of the BOSE HU.
b. Cutting the BOSE HU fascia and putting the screen in the middle.
c. Put the screen on the dash On the dash.
d. Put the screen In a modified sat nav housing.

Many people have considered fitting a double DIN in an S1, either with the rest of the BOSE system or by replacing the lot. Few have done it, not least because the air con modification kits like the Metra are expensive and in short supply. It won’t take much for the stereo to be worth more than the car . . . .

There no plug’n’play option. A solution will require some effort, research and DIY aptitude.

PS if you’ve not looked at the links I posted above then please do so. That’ll save the time of members repeating the work of others.
Last edited by WildMan10 on Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ian
Now back to one, a white R3. Gone but not forgotten: 04 Tit Grey 231, 06 Copper Red Evolve (231), 09 VR R3, 10 Aurora Blue R3, 06 Black PZ; RX87 13BREW project car ;-( ; 04 White with Greddy turbo conversion ;-(

HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

It really is a shame that it was done that way with the aircon integrated. I know the R3 is so much easier for that, and makes it a lot more worthwhile mod to do. Literally just a harness and a fascia if you don't mind no steering controls and you can't reset the clock on the red screen. Past that, everything works easy peasy. It's not like having them combined like on the S1 saved mazda money really... :-k hey ho. Just got the PAC RP4-MZ11 on order now though, so will get that installed in mine to get my SWC in and some custom text on that red screen ;) oooooh yeaaah! :thumleft:

WildMan10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by WildMan10 »

No steering controls? Most HUs have an optional steering wheel-mounted controller that can replace the Mazda controls at a much lower cost than an adapter unit. Mine in another car was much more useful than the standard Wheel-mounted buttons.
Ian

HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

well, I was mostly meaning if just using a simple cut and solder harness like in my guide it will not retain SWC by default - there are cheap SWC adapters out there that work well and use the existing buttons on the wheel - main example I can think of is the ASWC-1, and proper interfaces that work with the red display and mimic what the original head unit did (the expensive ones you mention) also have SWC adapters built in. I'm not sure about the aftermarket wireless buttons though, not my style, but yeah - definitely are out there

WildMan10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by WildMan10 »

I bow to your greater experience/knowledge/aptitude. My research, limited by my preferring the manufacturers controller, didn’t find an inexpensive option. I can solder and fit integrated systems with the best of them but I’m best deferring the design to others.

Now, if I can find an HU and aftermarket speakers to cater for my tinnitus and love of bass with the aftermarket amps and speakers that I have, to replace the entire BOSE in my R3, then I’d be away.
Ian

HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

Can't blame you on that one! designing them things to work with so many different cars must be a pain :lol: I did the easy way of making my own harness but now decided to go the fancy upmarket route of an interface :lol: can't help myself sometimes :^o i'll give a lil' update when I get it installed too and let y'all know what it's like ;)

best of luck with the full bose-ectomy, I daren't go on that rabbit hole :giggle: While the stock speakers could be better, there was an improvement on HU change for me, be that placebo or not i'm not too sure, but it isn't earth shattering bass by any means :P the speakers are plenty good enough to my ears ;)

WildMan10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by WildMan10 »

I have experience. The first R3 that I had came with a full BOSEectomy, the previous owner using an HU with TV receiver to get Eastenders on the go (honest; he removed the TV receiver to transfer to his replacement car). He kept the sub from the boot but left the amp, which I was happy with as the sub enclosure left little space. He had the rear speakers in the ski hatch; I moved them to the original location and replaced the hatch with an 8” sub in a bespoke wood enclosure that I built. I have 165 components for the front doors but would like bigger ones for more bass. I removed the system on car sale, sold the HU but kept the rest and later fitted it to my second car, now scrapped and the stereo removed.

The system was far better than the standard BOSE, with or without updated tweeters.
Ian

HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

Eastenders on the go? Damn... sounds riveting :lol: definitely a cool party trick to be able to watch tv though 8) That does sound like a good proposal though - and as you've dabbled in it before with installs in the exact same car - I reckon that'd go pretty well. Would be interesting to hear the difference, i've never actually been in any car with an aftermarket sound system, but I guess each is different especially in the aftermarket side of things with all the combinations. Maybe I shouldn't let myself hear it or you'll be making me want to change mine up for better aftermarket kit :giggle:

WildMan10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by WildMan10 »

You’re safe in Doncaster, or the Finningley escape system as I used to know it. Everyone that heard the system said that it was far better than stock, although some may have just been polite.
Ian

HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

Hah!

To be fair, I reckon it definitely is possible to get a better sound system and pretty likely that yours is better, just personally in a car there is so much more noise coming from elsewhere that as long as it's decent/passable, that's fine by me. If I was playing music with the engine off I probably have more time to examine the sound and be unhappy with it :lol:

and even then, as much as I love listening to music, even that gets turned down for the exhaust noise when i'm giving it the beans :lol: :mrgreen:

WildMan10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by WildMan10 »

I know what you mean about general noise and the delights of exhaust sounds. I’m not sitting around in her as much as I used to now that I’m not travelling to my kids (divorced dad story). Covid has also limited my mileage. All of this and some personal factors mean I’ve not been motivated to change the system after I took it out of my now-defunct second car; maybe when visiting is opened up my priorities will change and I’ll replace the BOSE.
Ian

HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

I'm still to get over the honeymoon period with mine and i've had it months :lol: love it to bits 8) main aim it to get it good shape and then enjoy it!

That's a shame to hear :( I'm sure we all hope for some restrictions to be lifted or some more reasons to get out and enjoy the soon-to-be better weather and the outdoors and rack up some miles! :guns: and there's no harm in not putting it in - you'll still have it there for if you do decide to change it come better times :thumleft:

SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SmuttyHutty »

Just thought I'd post some images of the display on my PZ. I know you folks believe me, but I just wanted to show the MD in is lit and the firmware version. When I swap this stereo out and put the minidisc in I am sure I'll lose the aux but it will be interesting to see what is behind this.
MD In.jpg
Close up
MD In Close.jpg
Firmware:
Ver.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.