Colour: Galaxy Grey
Has thanked: 0

Re: On my third RX8

Post by Jays-231-5speed »

Scartlead wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:23 am
Jays-231-5speed wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:26 pm
Lost access to the other account, but this is the new one, so I'll keep posting. Car is now back on the drive after taking a break from it, got it all stripped under the bonnet, wings, bumpers, all off, all the other things under the boonet is off as well, brake pipes are gone, all wiring is gone, car is almost totally stripped.

I'm sending parts off to be shot blasted and then I'm getting them powder coated to make sure they last, I'm rebuilding the whole entire thing.
Get Ur membership sorted and get a build thread up. Would be good to see this type of restoration 👍
I'll get on it soon.
Jays-231-5speed
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: 231

Other news today guys, today was just spent playing around with the welder trying to get the hang of the settings (new welder, total horse poop) split all off the front subframe, shocks and stuff are jolly old buggered so that means I can't keep the car rolling as I had to drag the car onto my drive (Shock mounting at bottom of the passenger front snapped off)

Does anyone know of a place that you can buy bolts and nuts from? I don't want normal nuts and bolts, I want some that won't rust so stainless steel or something like?
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White

Post by HarSc »

Jays-231-5speed wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 7:34 pm
HarSc wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 12:58 pm
Jays-57-RX8 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:59 am

I think that is an MX5 steering wheel or maybe an R3 one? I'm not too sure....
Yup. MK3 MX-5 wheel without cruise control. Although they are nicer than the S1 RX-8 wheels IMO anyways hah! ;) :lol:

They're the same wheel as on the R3 too, just different stitching and plastics colours (and R3 has cruise control buttons on the right) :thumleft:
I wish I could say this is nice, from the car been used as a shed for many months the wheel has been slightly messed up so.... I'm just going race wheel. or rather when it comes time for a wheel then I'll get as I like then, haha

Is it too far past a quick clean up? ;) I mean, there are better wheels out there, but it's not a bad one in terms of standard ones :p

If you're getting rid, worth trying to convince an R3 owner to take it if they're wanting a steering wheel retrim. Cheaper to pick up an MX5 wheel and retrim it than source the rarer R3 ones, and I'd have thought someone will be planning a new wheel on here sometime ;) :lol: it's what I did with my wheels hah!
Some guy from oooop north ;) | Harry | Membership Secretary | Media Team

- My Main RX-8 R3 [MHZ 3800] thread here
- My Project Banana [GL04 MXU] thread here
- My Mazda 2 DE daily thread here
- My engine disassembly shenanigans here
Jays-231-5speed
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

I'm thinking of spraying the car this colour with a candy purple under the bonnet..... What you guys think?

I was torn with this and Phantom Blue Mica, and well, that's already on a RX8 cause that's how I got the idea.... Only one to be done this colour, will say that :P :P :P
Jays-231-5speed
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

HarSc wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 7:57 pm
Jays-231-5speed wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 7:34 pm
HarSc wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 12:58 pm

Yup. MK3 MX-5 wheel without cruise control. Although they are nicer than the S1 RX-8 wheels IMO anyways hah! ;) :lol:

They're the same wheel as on the R3 too, just different stitching and plastics colours (and R3 has cruise control buttons on the right) :thumleft:
I wish I could say this is nice, from the car been used as a shed for many months the wheel has been slightly messed up so.... I'm just going race wheel. or rather when it comes time for a wheel then I'll get as I like then, haha

Is it too far past a quick clean up? ;) I mean, there are better wheels out there, but it's not a bad one in terms of standard ones :p

If you're getting rid, worth trying to convince an R3 owner to take it if they're wanting a steering wheel retrim. Cheaper to pick up an MX5 wheel and retrim it than source the rarer R3 ones, and I'd have thought someone will be planning a new wheel on here sometime ;) :lol: it's what I did with my wheels hah!
I've been looking at a Sparco dished wheel, I gotta say I do like the look of them, that conbined with race seats, only problem I can't run stock seat belts which I really wanna do cause I don't want to have a harness bar across the back end I've worked so hard to keep functional
Jays-231-5speed
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Anyone know where I can get new bolts and stuff from? Is it direct to mazda? I dont see the point in rebuilding the car and not putting new bolts on, at least I can do my best to protect them from rusting.... 🤣🤣🤣🤣 it's a mazda, itll do that anyway! Even the plastic badges do.... 🤣🤣🤣🤣
pfletcher83
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by pfletcher83 »

Just been through all this myself and unfortunately mazda seems to be the best option.
I approached several manufacturers however all of them were unable to help with the most expensive control arm bolts.
Depends on which bolts you mean though. I bought replacements from mazda for all the subframes, suspension, control arms etc etc.
Total came to about £800.

As it happens, i may be selling them all if i cant get hold of a winning blue shell soon.

Paul
Jays-231-5speed
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

pfletcher83 wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 2:09 pm
Just been through all this myself and unfortunately mazda seems to be the best option.
I approached several manufacturers however all of them were unable to help with the most expensive control arm bolts.
Depends on which bolts you mean though. I bought replacements from mazda for all the subframes, suspension, control arms etc etc.
Total came to about £800.

As it happens, i may be selling them all if i cant get hold of a winning blue shell soon.

Paul
Keep me in mind pal, would be perfect for my project.
Jays-231-5speed
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Other news, little man was helping with the strip down, haha. Almost 7 month old now.

These users thanked the author Jays-231-5speed for the post:
30405 (Sat May 15, 2021 12:11 am)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Is that the new crash test dummy (in his mouth)?
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Jays-231-5speed
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

warpc0il wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:42 pm
Is that the new crash test dummy (in his mouth)?
It's his smash test dummy, lol
Jays-231-5speed
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Today is just gonna consist of sanding and lots of, cleaning up the front wheel hubs, front subframe, stripping the rest of the car if the rain allows me too.

Photos will come as and when I can stick then on, I have no phone to get photos (building this is expensive)

Another thing. The work Dan put into this car undersealing the whole thing, credit to the lad.
Jays-231-5speed
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Strip down today is almost complete, the rain held us up for the most part but dash is out, all heater matrix is out.
Purchased a 100L ait compressor today as well so should be here tomorrow or Tuesday then when prep work is done it's on to the spraying of the chassis and stuff.

Anyone know of a seller that makes extended boot lips? Not as big as a duct tail, maybe half that? Wanna fit one with a RE style boot spoiler. Need to source them before paint, lol.
Jays-231-5speed
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Photos will be uploaded tomorrow.
Jays-231-5speed
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Todat consisted of getting primer for when the compressor turns up tomorrow to do the engine bay.
Jays-231-5speed
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

You know I think I might be borderline stupid unless I'm missing something..... How on earth do I add a sig or is that members only thing?
Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Shagrington »

I don't know if it is limited to members only - if not you should be able to click on your name at the top of the page and then user control panel > profile > edit profile > edit signature
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes (now finally retired) :cry:
Jays-231-5speed
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Rain has pretty much stopped all progress, hasn't stopped since taking drivers door off the car. Covered it and left it. Got a shed on the other hand, pretty big one so should be able to do most things in that.
Jays-231-5speed
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

So shed got put up today so progress is now gonna be awesome with the car now I got a dry place to work.
Jays-231-5speed
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Good news, all car is stripped, on the 11th when I get my last pay cheque I'm gonna get a membership on here to open a build thread. Most of the front is now painted, cleared and ready to be put in the garage for storage (not putting anything back on the car till I know engine and box and subframes are back in and built up. Plus I'm planning on doing a wiring shave/tuck.

I picked up some sheet metal for the cage holes that was left in the shell when I got it (part timers) compressor is here and working a treat, spray guns are epic to say they're cheap as a cut in half penny. Paint was the most costly thing to do with the entire thing. The price of this paint I've got it INSANE!! £100 a liter and then another £18 for 5L of thinners. WUT?!?!?!? But Ive got MOST of the paint I need. The colour is BLINDING in the sun, I promise you now, I can't even look at it without my eyes streaming... It's THAT bright haha. Building it to stand out and my god it won't half stand out, haha.

Found a tin of underseal in the car as well (Thanks Dan, that's now mine bro) checked the chassis over for any sign of weakness in it like rust and stuff. I'm gonna say minus the holes this might just be the best shell for an RX8... It's CLEAN! No previous repairs on the rear 1/4s or anywhere on the car. So that's all good.

Now is time for the bad news. I lost my job yesterday (29th) so that means progress on this will be limited to almost nothing but as long as I'm still making little progress all is good to me.

That's all I can actually update at the moment. Photos I have no PC as mines broke for the minute so not a chance of them yet.

Also looking for a running cheap RX8 to donate it's running gear and stuff to mine. The car HAS to be complete with 0 things missing cause it's ALL going to mine.
Cscameron
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Custom

Post by Cscameron »

Can’t wait to see photos of the paint. Looks like you’re going about as subtle as I am!

RX8-OC sunglasses may need to be a thing 😎
You can call me Madam Secretary 8)
Jays-231-5speed
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Cscameron wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 1:22 pm
Can’t wait to see photos of the paint. Looks like you’re going about as subtle as I am!

RX8-OC sunglasses may need to be a thing 😎
Put me down for a set. Haha, I've thrown RX8 Owners club stickers on my misses MK5 Astra Estate, haha. Just cause she said not to and didn't want them getting wrecked.
Jays-231-5speed
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Bad news guys, the car wasn't salvagable because the chassis legs was cut through and quiet bad to be fair, 3 people told me it's not worth my time so now.... I'm going back to an old project for a bit....

The RX8 shell has been crushed, all parts I still have and will still have to build up over time ready for maybe another RX8 shell I get. All is not lost though.