A chance to introduce yourself...
Jays-57-RX8
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: 231
Colour: Galaxy Grey

On my third RX8

Post by Jays-57-RX8 »

Hey guys, new on the forum, as title says, picked up my third RX8 and as it happens, you guys already know the car, haha, it's not like it was though, it's currently a shell with holes in the floor, oh god, see where this is going?

Anyway, this is my first 231 6 speed, it's a 2007 Galaxy Grey. Eddie-R32 owned it before me (viewtopic.php?f=104&t=75390) That's his project thread on it. Massive shout out to that dude for keeping this car CLEAN and also for leaving the thread up as it helped me find the history of the car and what sort of life it had.

I now currently have the car after my friend Dan strippped the car bare of all of the upgrades done to it for his car, cage, blah blah, everything gone, cut out the cage so left me with 4 big holes in the floor (not a massive issue) but while Dan had it, the dude went over this and cleaned it all up, not like it needed much, and undersealed all of it with whatever rust was there, it was removed, rust treated and unsealed.

My plan was to just build it back into a stock 231 family car but after seeing what Eddie did to it, I think I might just go down the route he did, bring the car back to it's Former glory..... I'm just glad I got the car cause I've saved it..... Hopefully this one lasts me longer than 12 months, lol

Also if anyone else has any photos of my RX8 (FL57 MYB) please, upload them to this, I'd love more to add to the background of the car.
These users thanked the author Jays-57-RX8 for the post:
30405 (Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:14 pm)
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

On my third RX8

Post by GreySilver Beast »

Hi Jay & :welcome: to the RX-8OC :thumleft:

<<<<<< Please put your Location in your Profile Box, it will help us to know where you are, if required any help in the future :thumright:

Please check out the EVENTS SECTION's for anything coming up soon in your area :thumleft:

Events Team
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
Jays-57-RX8
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Re: On my third RX8

Post by Jays-57-RX8 »

GreySilver Beast wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:09 pm
Hi Jay & :welcome: to the RX-8OC :thumleft:

<<<<<< Please put your Location in your Profile Box, it will help us to know where you are, if required any help in the future :thumright:

Please check out the EVENTS SECTION's for anything coming up soon in your area :thumleft:

Events Team
Sweet dude, will do that now, lol, plus I don't think I can put a location..... I'm never in 1 place too long, lol, RX8's and the roads go really well together...
Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Shagrington »

Hi and :welcome: Jays-57-RX8. :D Well done on saving the car =D> and as it's not your first you probably don't need my usual tips for new owners - I will leave you tip number 5: Join the club for discounts on all sorts of things (you will very quickly get the cost of membership back - and then some), loads more info in the members only sections (including access to all the workshop and technical manuals), local meets (they are all postponed right now I think but may start to happen again in a while) - if you can't find one exactly local it is a good excuse for a drive if you come to one a bit further away, a sexy keyring just for joining and more. :thumright:
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes (now finally retired) :cry:
Jays-57-RX8
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Jays-57-RX8 »

Shagrington wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:34 pm
Hi and :welcome: Jays-57-RX8. :D Well done on saving the car =D> and as it's not your first you probably don't need my usual tips for new owners - I will leave you tip number 5: Join the club for discounts on all sorts of things (you will very quickly get the cost of membership back - and then some), loads more info in the members only sections (including access to all the workshop and technical manuals), local meets (they are all postponed right now I think but may start to happen again in a while) - if you can't find one exactly local it is a good excuse for a drive if you come to one a bit further away, a sexy keyring just for joining and more. :thumright:
Thanks for the tip pal, I'll sort it out as I'll probs need the manuals, meets don't bother me in terms of distance so..... I've currently got 6 projects 3 mine, 2 my misses and 1 my mates, lol. Mine is FL57 MYB RX8, Astra 2011 2.0CDTi 160, 2007 307 SW SE 2.0HDi 136, misses is a 2005 Astra 1.9CDTi 150 Estate SRi XP and a 2007 Nissan Note 1.4, my mate also has a 2005 1.9 150 Astra as well but to do most things I need to I need a ramp to make it faster.... Progress on this RX8 is gonna be SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW I'm not even joking, I've had the car for about 3 or 4 month already, all I've done is collect a few parts and leave the shell sat on the drive with the holes in the floor, haven't bothered with it.... I'm sorting out the cars that was here first, with this been the last it's better for me cause then no time limit to get it sorted.

Should be able to do some stuff to it shortly. Got an engine off Dan (Had a red 231 with Lambo doors on and mazdaspeed everything) Rear rotor is a little bit bleh on it with compression been in the high 5's on the rear but the front isn't that bad, still starts hot and cold so it'll do till funds allow me to rebuild it (myself of course cause if I put all the effort into building the car then I'm gonna build engine too)
Jays-57-RX8
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Jays-57-RX8 »

Shagrington wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:34 pm
Just a quick one, how do I open a project thread? Is it pending how many posts you've done, like over 10 you can make a post there or something?
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by bigpete8 »

I believe only members can create project threads.
These users thanked the author bigpete8 for the post:
Jays-57-RX8 (Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:12 am)
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

You need to join the club.to get full access to that section
These users thanked the author qwakers for the post:
Jays-57-RX8 (Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:12 am)
Jays-57-RX8
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Jays-57-RX8 »

Thanks lads.
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

On my third RX8

Post by GreySilver Beast »

:whathesaid: :whathesaid: :thumleft:
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
Jays-57-RX8
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Jays-57-RX8 »

I need to get this member thing sorted out, won't be till the 11th though, lol....

I've already got a few "cheap" things I wanna do to the car before I even build it.

By cheap I don't mean like £150 ebay special coilovers, I mean like Custom D.I.Y Headlights, rear lights (If I can take the pigs apart) and I did a custom light in my Astra before, it was a dome light that lit the whole car up so wanna do something like that again for the 8, so while headliner is out, onto changing that from white. All this will be on a project thread and how I've done everything. I'm just hoping I keep the car for longer than 12 months.
These users thanked the author Jays-57-RX8 for the post (total 2):
GreySilver Beast (Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:11 pm) • 30405 (Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:30 pm)
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 30405 »

Jays-57-RX8 wrote:I need to get this member thing sorted out, won't be till the 11th though, lol....

I've already got a few "cheap" things I wanna do to the car before I even build it.

By cheap I don't mean like £150 ebay special coilovers, I mean like Custom D.I.Y Headlights, rear lights (If I can take the pigs apart) and I did a custom light in my Astra before, it was a dome light that lit the whole car up so wanna do something like that again for the 8, so while headliner is out, onto changing that from white. All this will be on a project thread and how I've done everything. I'm just hoping I keep the car for longer than 12 months.
The rear lights will need cutting to get into as they are friction welded. Going to do a set my self over the weekend.
These users thanked the author 30405 for the post:
Jays-57-RX8 (Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:49 pm)
Jays-57-RX8
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Jays-57-RX8 »

Vj4sothername wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:31 pm
Jays-57-RX8 wrote:I need to get this member thing sorted out, won't be till the 11th though, lol....

The rear lights will need cutting to get into as they are friction welded. Going to do a set my self over the weekend.
Well I guess that's that.
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 30405 »

Jays-57-RX8 wrote:
It's doable. Just have to be careful the rear lens crack seemingly for no reason. I suspect the have a stress point as the 2 set's I've gone through all went in the same place.

I'd advise getting another set so you can keep using the car should the worst happen.
Jays-57-RX8
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Jays-57-RX8 »

Vj4sothername wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:57 pm
Jays-57-RX8 wrote:
It's doable. Just have to be careful the rear lens crack seemingly for no reason. I suspect the have a stress point as the 2 set's I've gone through all went in the same place.

I'd advise getting another set so you can keep using the car should the worst happen.
I don't have the issue about using the car...... It's a flintstone car at min, nothing in it!
Jays-57-RX8
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Jays-57-RX8 »

Pulled the stereo apart yesterday to do a little custom thing to it (I'm hoping this actually works as I think it'll be killer if it does.

I'm hoping to spray the black part another colour and around the heater vents I wanna stick halo rings (Bluetooth controlled ones so I can adjust brightness) that come on with door lights or the headlights, not sure on that yet but that's the plan, headlights will be taken apart at some point to get them done. Other things can wait to do with the car as the rain here is just stupid.
These users thanked the author Jays-57-RX8 for the post (total 2):
30405 (Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:49 am) • casey (Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:18 am)
Jays-57-RX8
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Jays-57-RX8 »

As it turns out, I kinda like the 1.9 150 Astra's that much I've just been given this Astra, so yes I've taken another project on.

RX8 will be done first. But here's pics of the Astra, I'll put pics of the RX8 up shortly.

This Astra is near dead, flywheel is gone, clutch is toast, slave is leaking oil, engine mounts are banging, bushes on the suspention are all dead, front shocks are wasted, rear springs have both snapped, tires are wrecked, brakes only just stop the car, the engine loses boost when you change gear, I've changed all the boost related stuff with brand new items and still does it. That's an unknown.

But hey, at least I have a second car to support my bad bad habit of RX8 Ownership, lol
GreySilver Beast (Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:36 pm)
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

Jays-57-RX8 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:55 am

This Astra is near dead, flywheel is gone, clutch is toast, slave is leaking oil, engine mounts are banging, bushes on the suspention are all dead, front shocks are wasted, rear springs have both snapped, tires are wrecked, brakes only just stop the car, the engine loses boost when you change gear,

Seems a very apt registration then - it is a WUSS #-o :lol:

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
Jays-57-RX8
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Jays-57-RX8 »

Well here is the beast itself.

This is how I got the car.

I think that is an MX5 steering wheel or maybe an R3 one? I'm not too sure....

You'll see that I have a thing for purple so, this is that effect.

Well there's my RX8.
GreySilver Beast (Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:36 pm)
Jays-57-RX8
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Jays-57-RX8 »

Delanor wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:55 am
Jays-57-RX8 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:55 am

This Astra is near dead, flywheel is gone, clutch is toast, slave is leaking oil, engine mounts are banging, bushes on the suspention are all dead, front shocks are wasted, rear springs have both snapped, tires are wrecked, brakes only just stop the car, the engine loses boost when you change gear,

Seems a very apt registration then - it is a WUSS #-o :lol:

Del.
Believe it or not that was the cars name, before my mate even got the car or seen it in person I named it Wuss. Sealed in fate he had to own it, told me I have to get it for £200 from £500.... Told him inlet it wrecked, £200 we got it for, lol
Jays-231-5speed
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
Has thanked: 0

Post by Jays-231-5speed »

Lost access to the other account, but this is the new one, so I'll keep posting. Car is now back on the drive after taking a break from it, got it all stripped under the bonnet, wings, bumpers, all off, all the other things under the boonet is off as well, brake pipes are gone, all wiring is gone, car is almost totally stripped.

I'm sending parts off to be shot blasted and then I'm getting them powder coated to make sure they last, I'm rebuilding the whole entire thing.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Jays-231-5speed wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:26 pm
Lost access to the other account
Send Alan a message and he should be able to sort that
ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=26613
if nothing else it maintains continuity of posts.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Scartlead
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Scartlead »

Jays-231-5speed wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:26 pm
Lost access to the other account, but this is the new one, so I'll keep posting. Car is now back on the drive after taking a break from it, got it all stripped under the bonnet, wings, bumpers, all off, all the other things under the boonet is off as well, brake pipes are gone, all wiring is gone, car is almost totally stripped.

I'm sending parts off to be shot blasted and then I'm getting them powder coated to make sure they last, I'm rebuilding the whole entire thing.
Get Ur membership sorted and get a build thread up. Would be good to see this type of restoration 👍
Aka Mark

My Build viewtopic.php?f=204&t=70916
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White

Post by HarSc »

Jays-57-RX8 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:59 am

Yup. MK3 MX-5 wheel without cruise control. Although they are nicer than the S1 RX-8 wheels IMO anyways hah! ;) :lol:

They're the same wheel as on the R3 too, just different stitching and plastics colours (and R3 has cruise control buttons on the right) :thumleft:
Some guy from oooop north ;) | Harry | Membership Secretary | Media Team

- My Main RX-8 R3 [MHZ 3800] thread here
- My Project Banana [GL04 MXU] thread here
- My Mazda 2 DE daily thread here
- My engine disassembly shenanigans here
Jays-231-5speed
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
Has thanked: 0

Post by Jays-231-5speed »

HarSc wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 12:58 pm
Jays-57-RX8 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:59 am

Yup. MK3 MX-5 wheel without cruise control. Although they are nicer than the S1 RX-8 wheels IMO anyways hah! ;) :lol:

They're the same wheel as on the R3 too, just different stitching and plastics colours (and R3 has cruise control buttons on the right) :thumleft:
I wish I could say this is nice, from the car been used as a shed for many months the wheel has been slightly messed up so.... I'm just going race wheel. or rather when it comes time for a wheel then I'll get as I like then, haha