Just got an RX8, but it seems broken and my garage dont know hot to fix it.....

A chance to introduce yourself...
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Re: Just got an RX8, but it seems broken and my garage dont know hot to fix it.....

Post by bigpete8 »

Luke has recently arranged rebuild for another member.
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
Iantheace
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0

Re: Just got an RX8, but it seems broken and my garage dont know hot to fix it.....

Post by Iantheace »

He said that he believed it to be the side seal, but that the history with this particular company is really bad quality rebuilds where they would re-use parts they shouldn't and the amount of warranty issues is probably what lead to them going bust. Apparently the owner of that company has also gone awol.

He expected that the rotors and housings would likely be in poor conditions being that the motor has done 106k miles and had a very likely poor rebuild.

The suggestion was the swap the engine with a low mileage one, or to go to a rebuild company that doesnt charge any extra regardless of engine condition, with the former likely being alot cheaper.
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Talk to BigPete @ Boston Rotary he has a good used engine not even run in properly yet which may be available, but he quick.
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
Ollie
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Post by Ollie »

Yeah I was considering that who it was they may not be the best. Shame really. I'd be onto big Pete or even Luke himself as he sometimes has knowledge of decent engines kicking about.
Club Treasurer

Kentaro The Red - Sadly fallen...
Star Platinum - Work in progress

For whats pending... See here: viewtopic.php?f=204&t=86071
Iantheace
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Iantheace »

Bigpete @ boston only has a 190 engine, was really hoping for a 230 :(
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by v-rex »

bigpete8 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:52 pm
I've recently had a rebuild done through Luke (outsourced to TPS) and I'm very happy with how it all went. There are some threads on it in the members area. Luke has the option for him just to take your engine, get it rebuilt, and then bring it back and fit it, so can save you some travel and transport costs, especially as the car is not running currently.

He might be able to source you a good engine as well, if you go down that route, but these are getting harder to find and of course especially hard if you wanted one that was already ported. I see you've also talked to BigPete, who I've not used personally, but I only hear great things.

In terms of the engine, if you are thinking of the rebuild, you can always get the rebuilder to look at the engine and see if anything is salvageable. If not then you have to go find the bits, but you may be able to save some of it and keeps the costs lower. It does sound like it's not looking good though, but always worth a try.

Edit: I see it is running. Oops. Please ignore my comment on me saying it's a non-runner...
Iantheace
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Iantheace »

v-rex wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:43 pm
bigpete8 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:52 pm
I've recently had a rebuild done through Luke (outsourced to TPS) and I'm very happy with how it all went. There are some threads on it in the members area. Luke has the option for him just to take your engine, get it rebuilt, and then bring it back and fit it, so can save you some travel and transport costs, especially as the car is not running currently.

He might be able to source you a good engine as well, if you go down that route, but these are getting harder to find and of course especially hard if you wanted one that was already ported. I see you've also talked to BigPete, who I've not used personally, but I only hear great things.

In terms of the engine, if you are thinking of the rebuild, you can always get the rebuilder to look at the engine and see if anything is salvageable. If not then you have to go find the bits, but you may be able to save some of it and keeps the costs lower. It does sound like it's not looking good though, but always worth a try.

Edit: I see it is running. Oops. Please ignore my comment on me saying it's a non-runner...
It's running on 1 rotor at the moment! And even that one doesn't seem amazing!

Front rotor: 5.5,5.2,5.4
Rear rotor: 3.4,4.2,3.0

He thinks he can source me an engine, so fingers crossed :).
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex »

Great. Luke will make sure you're sorted.

I am impressed your engine runs with those numbers in the rear. I know it's a bridge so will show lower comp numbers in general but still impressive it runs.
Iantheace
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Iantheace »

Luke replaced the engine today and it runs like a dream now!

Should have heard it before it was hurrendous. Sorting MOT next week then were good to go!
These users thanked the author Iantheace for the post (total 3):
ChrisHolmes (Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:36 pm) • 30405 (Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:40 pm) • v-rex (Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:13 pm)
Iantheace
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Iantheace »

Had to break the car now, used it for first time after luke put a new engine in, and the engine blew to bits :(, luke had a look, it literally blew the end off the spark plug 5 miles into a new engine :(.
exiled--viking
Former Member
Former Member

Post by exiled--viking »

#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o :(
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

OMG :shock:

So sorry to hear of your experience. Just 5 miles, not even time to get the engine warm either :(
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex »

Iantheace wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:13 pm
Had to break the car now, used it for first time after luke put a new engine in, and the engine blew to bits :(, luke had a look, it literally blew the end off the spark plug 5 miles into a new engine :(.
OMG. Really sorry to hear this.
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

So the end of the plug fell into the engine and took it out?

Owch

thats really unfortunate
BigPete
Club Member
Club Member

Post by BigPete »

350matt wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:30 pm
So the end of the plug fell into the engine and took it out?

Owch

thats really unfortunate
Possibly fake plugs I’ve seen a few now that have taken engines out.
Bigpete

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BostonRotary
SprintRX8
Club Member
Club Member

Post by SprintRX8 »

If that’s the case who supplied the plugs?.
These users thanked the author SprintRX8 for the post:
SmuttyHutty (Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:54 pm)
13BLT Renesis Rotary powered Dolomite Sprint in the making😏.
Balanced Lightened and Tweaked.and Supercharged.
Iantheace
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Iantheace »

The plugs were genuine NGKs picked up from euro car parts at full retail. Not really sure what’s caused it, but the car reported a misfire, and then 3 miles later, boom. The end of the plug is physicall missing, I’m guessing shredded in the engine.

Since it happened the dash is lit up like an Xmas tree. Both air bag lights, the steering , the alternator all have warnings.

It’s a nightmare.......
Ollie
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Ollie »

You know ECP can't garuntee those plugs being genuine? Due to the fact much like dealers their suppliers could be getting them from dodgy sources without knowing it.. Presumably though Luke would've said if they were fakes. Such a shame regardless.
Club Treasurer

SprintRX8
Club Member
Club Member

Post by SprintRX8 »

Did it have a misfire before the rebuild?.
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Yorindesarin wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:10 am
You know ECP can't garuntee those plugs being genuine? Due to the fact much like dealers their suppliers could be getting them from dodgy sources without knowing it.. Presumably though Luke would've said if they were fakes. Such a shame regardless.
An unfounded statement these days Ollie. ECP will be buying direct from NGK these days but I acknowledge that many years ago some of their sources and products may well have been suspect.
Rotary History;

ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

Iantheace wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:19 am
The plugs were genuine NGKs picked up from euro car parts at full retail. Not really sure what’s caused it, but the car reported a misfire, and then 3 miles later, boom. The end of the plug is physicall missing, I’m guessing shredded in the engine.

Since it happened the dash is lit up like an Xmas tree. Both air bag lights, the steering , the alternator all have warnings.

It’s a nightmare.......
Get all the plugs sent back to NGK for failure analysis, you have nothing to lose in doing that.
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post:
bigpete8 (Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:37 am)
Rotary History;

SmuttyHutty
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by SmuttyHutty »

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:31 am
Iantheace wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:19 am

It’s a nightmare.......
Get all the plugs sent back to NGK for failure analysis, you have nothing to lose in doing that.
I know that the plugs are recessed into the chamber, but could not the damage to the plug have been caused by a piece of apex seal being mashed into the plug rather than a bit of the plug dropping off and mashing the engine?
Iantheace
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Iantheace »

The car reported a misfire sometimes before it had a new engine. But being that the old engine had low compression it’s not that surprising.

We replaced everything but the d585 coils when we replaced the engine, Ngk plugs, magnecor leads, new everything on the engine (didn’t transfer any old parts).

The only things that were not changed are the map (which was for a bridge port, but Luke thought this would be fine), and the d585 coils.

I guess I could try contacting NGK and seeing what they say
SprintRX8
Club Member
Club Member

Post by SprintRX8 »

Your complaint would be with ECP
As they supplied the Spark Plugs.

If you still have the D585 I’ll get them tested.

Do you still have the old Spark plugs.
Could you post some pictures of them.
Ollie
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Ollie »

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:30 am
Yorindesarin wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:10 am
An unfounded statement these days Ollie. ECP will be buying direct from NGK these days but I acknowledge that many years ago some of their sources and products may well have been suspect.
Ah that's good to know! It's not as if I was directly blaming them more so their suppliers.
These users thanked the author Ollie for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:16 am)
Club Treasurer