Can't stop thinking about getting and buying an RX8!

A chance to introduce yourself...
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White

Post by HarSc »

First post and here to say hi! (Apologies in advance - I'm new to forums/clubs and the like so I have no idea really, but I hope to be around here for some time to come, learn as I go and get to go to some meets if I can get my hands on an RX8)

I (20) have been looking at RX8s for almost the past two years now, and I just can't get them out of my head! I am yet to truly have my first car because I am currently a named driver on my sister's Peugeot - but I would love to look into getting a special and unique car for me to try and keep and look after for a long time to come. Unfortunately I seem to have an affection for the white of the 40th anniversary edition, as they just look so damn clean but I can never seem to find any for sale, be it good condition ones or one in need of a rebuild and some TLC! I'm currently looking around with a budget of about £3000-3500 total (might be able to stretch it more if I find the right one) but I'm hoping to keep my eyes peeled for the next month or few. I only recently discovered the OC and thought I'd give it a shot to join the forum and try and learn as much as I could before taking the plunge! So I guess any tips tricks or advice? Greatly appreciated :D

Harry
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Post by GreySilver Beast »

Hi Harry & :welcome: to the RX-8OC :thumleft:

<<<<<< Please put your Location in your Profile Box, it will help us to know where you are, if required any help in the future :thumright:

Please check out the EVENTS SECTION's for anything coming up soon in your area :thumleft:

Events Team
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Re: Can't stop thinking about getting and buying an RX8!

Post by Shagrington »

Hi and :welcome: HarSc. :D I think with that budget you should be able to find something very nice (maybe one that is in good condition with no rust but maybe needing a rebuild, maybe one that is all healthy or had a recent rebuild). There are not many white 40ths around, so finding that specific model may not be so easy

First trick - read the Buyers Guide viewtopic.php?f=25&t=24047

There are details here of all the different models and special editions too viewtopic.php?f=25&t=10895
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes (now finally retired) :cry:
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

:welcome: Harry. You've found the right place to help you in your quest for RX-8 ownership :thumleft:
These users thanked the author casey for the post:
HarSc (Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:25 pm)
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

Good to hear from you shagrington, I will for sure read the buyers guide - and only 200 whites were made on the 40th anniversary lot? That's crazy! I didn't think it'd be that few to be honest... I guess if I'm dead set on white I'll have to be patient or convince myself otherwise of my cravings :lol: it's awesome to see that there are so many guides and topics on here, so I'll definitely be having a look around!

And thanks, Casey! Hope I'll be here more and soon in an RX8 for the long run :P
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 30405 »

Hello and Welcome Harry!

I hope your hunt for a 40th goes well. A number of us always have an eye out so I'm sure if anyone spots one for sale they'll flag it for you.

The mischievous part of me would say buy a cheap non special edition one that's useable short term so you can start tinkering and learning the car (if your going to wrench on it your self). It's a great way to learn and you'll have loads of spares when the the right 40th comes along!

Becoming a full member will also give you access to loads of technical docs and discounts. I made a massive mistake when I got mine and spent loads of money in coils when if I'd been a member and done more research I could have bought the right parts first go for the same money. That said I've still saved a huge amount through discounts and knowing what to look out for thanks to the club.

If there's a meet near you it will be worth going along to even before getting the car to see different examples and the members will show you what to look out for when going to see one. Plus they are friendly and good for a laugh.

Good luck on your hunt!
These users thanked the author 30405 for the post:
HarSc (Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:25 pm)
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

Thanks 30405 - I think that might be a good idea, I'll definitely keep it in mind to get a cheap one first, it definitely hinges on how easy the 40th's are to find - and I get the gut feeling that I might have a harder time with that :-k . I think for the first part of owning one I'll take it to Rotary Revs which is only a small-ish drive from me and let them sort it all so I know it's right from when I first get it, as I have very limited knowledge at the moment (aside from fluid levels and simple checks/changes) on physically maintaing and wrenching on a car, but I soon hope to start tinkering - start small and go from there I guess! I've been looking up all the quirks of having rotaries and what it takes to keep them ticking too so that should be handy. I'll definitely have a look at what meets there are soon or nearby, it would be awesome to see a group of RX8s all together! What's the requirements for becoming a member of the OC and not just the forum? I assume you would have to have a car at that point? :)
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary

Post by Delanor »

:welcome: Harry.

One point to make about 40th Anniversary ownership is the Annual Road Tax puts it in Band M which is £580 a year! :shock: as well parts will be in short supply such as trim, suspension, alloys etc as they were exclusive to that model.

To give you an example I have owned mine for 12 years now and have never managed to find a single alloy to keep as a spare.

The pre - 23rd March 2006 registered 190 and 230 bhp cars Road Tax is £330.

Del.
These users thanked the author Delanor for the post:
HarSc (Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:24 pm)
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

Hi Delanor!

I did have a peep at the road tax costs and the calculator spat out £570 when I put in generic 08/09 rx8 data, so bang on the dot to what yours is... Which is a rather hard pill to swallow - depends on dedication I guess! I'd probably be able to stomach it, it almost seems cheap compared to insurance haha as that's going north of 2k easily.

I was even tempted to look at a white R3, but they're out of my budget unfortunately, and I don't think it's worth trying to respray anything to white as it's probably the same cost as a 40th. It's awesome to see that you've kept yours for 12 years though! And oooooo those alloys are so nice :shock:

I think I definitely need to weigh up the pros and cons for going 40th vs normal S1 pre 06 for tax/parts ease but then when I see a white one all logic goes out of the window again :oops: :lol:
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by bigpete8 »

If I was you I'd go for the youngest car in the best condition with the lowest mileage you can afford.
Rust is becoming the biggest issue for older cars.
And get a compression test before paying with any cash.
These users thanked the author bigpete8 for the post:
HarSc (Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:49 pm)
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

Hi bigpete8,

Yeah, I think that is probably a good strategy. Especially on the rust side of things - engines can be rebuilt and reconditioned but rust on the frame is harder to do so. And do you think it would be worth paying around £1000 for one if it doesn't have a compression test? I'd possibly be able to get it rebuilt with the rest of the money saved? :-k or would that lead to more problems...

Thanks for your reply!
nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by nightfire10 »

Don't know if this is still available Image

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author nightfire10 for the post (total 2):
30405 (Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:26 pm) • HarSc (Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:15 pm)
Hayward's Street/bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers edfc Racingbeat rear anti roll bar oil pres oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front rear grills,Tinted wind ws folding tow hook's,595s,connect2 ,at long last sohn and ap50 tank instaled ,revi ram air duct already fitted ! calipers painted,diff oil changed .
just oil lines to fit at some stage ( had them a while too) :P

180 of 400
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

As with any car mileage and condition are places to start and I would extend my choice a little more it will give you hopefully more chance to find a good example, I am a little biased but I found 190 bhp cars with a 5 speed box are better to drive around town and performance is not far behind the 230 bhp cars so don`t dismiss those as being the poorer RX-8, a really clean and cared for Brilliant Black car is an awsome colour that suits the car, as is Strato Blue arguably the best blue, the Kuro is itself although another special edition in Sparkling Black with Stone coloured trim which is a stunning car in the flesh and its obviously a matter of personal choice but knowing what I do now I would start looking at cars that have had knowledgeable owners that have had the all important RX-8 bits and pieces attended to as described in the Buyers Guide.

Del.
HarSc (Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:15 pm)
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 30405 »

HarSc wrote: What's the requirements for becoming a member of the OC and not just the forum? I assume you would have to have a car at that point? :)
No car required, you'll find a bunch of members here that have moved on from the RX8 to other cars but stay as members.

https://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/members ... Select.php

£31 quid and your in.

If you look around the forum you'll see areas you cannot access without being a paid member. My build/project/ramblings thread is in the members only section. Not that I don't want to share but these areas sent searchable via Google and I'm to lazy to hide my number plate on pictures.

The full details are on that link I won't list them all here.
These users thanked the author 30405 for the post:
HarSc (Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:16 pm)
Essex2Visuvesi
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

RX8 Ownership is not a requirement. You'll find this a great forum and club and there are several active members (myself included) who have moved on from RX8s but still remain members for the social aspect. In my defense tho I do still own a rotary.
These users thanked the author Essex2Visuvesi for the post (total 3):
30405 (Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:42 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:09 pm) • HarSc (Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:16 pm)
Proud Member of the Essex Wankelist Massive
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Post by GreySilver Beast »

I thought the Wheels on the Mazda 3 MPS were the same ones as the RX-8 40th Anniversary :?:
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

Okay, that's awesome to know - I'll definitely be becoming a member, that's for sure! I think you may have a good point Delanor. I do definitely see having a 40th as a bit of a dream car for me (at least of the RX8 varieties) - I probably should widen my search and what I'm looking for. Even if it means I wait a few months or years and periodically be on the look out for a nice 40th. Main things key is getting a nice condition rx8, which as others have said, should be achievable with my £300-3500 budget thankfully :D thanks to everyone's welcomes and helpful comments too! I'm honestly so grateful to have found this forum/club, it'll definitely be a big help as I go forward and somewhere to hang out with others who like and enjoy RX8s, and maybe as I learn - help others too 8) I think I'll keep my eyes peeled on some more local listings to me so I can easily go and see the car in person if I'm thinking of buying it.

I'm just wondering how you guys would approach this but getting a compression test done on a car if I'm seriously looking at buying it - So if I were to find a car I like and check it over (general condition-wise, and just generally if I like it), should i offer to pay for a mechanic to inspect/compression test it and if all passes then buy it? Or do they foot the bill? I'm not sure how best to do it as it'd be my first time venturing into buying something like this :-k and hopefully they'd have a reputable rotary shop nearby? I know rotary revs is a 45 ish minute drive from me so that's not too bad... Just wondering what people's two cents are on that? :D
nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by nightfire10 »

Always try a cheeky offer nothing to lose

These users thanked the author nightfire10 for the post:
HarSc (Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:39 pm)
Hayward's Street/bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers edfc Racingbeat rear anti roll bar oil pres oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front rear grills,Tinted wind ws folding tow hook's,595s,connect2 ,at long last sohn and ap50 tank instaled ,revi ram air duct already fitted ! calipers painted,diff oil changed .

180 of 400
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

GreySilver Beast wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:09 pm
I thought the Wheels on the Mazda 3 MPS were the same ones as the RX-8 40th Anniversary :?:

Mazda 3 MPS is 7.5J 52.5 offset the RX-8 is 8J 50.0 offset the colour is different as well.

Del
GreySilver Beast (Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:25 am)
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

nightfire10 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:19 pm
Always try a cheeky offer nothing to lose
Definitely not wrong, that's for sure haha! :mrgreen: I'll try my best to not make it an insultingly low offer if i do that :shock:
nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by nightfire10 »

Think it's been for sale for a while

180 of 400
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

It's a shame that the wheels on that one have been changed from the standard ones of the 40th, but it still looks a nice car. I'm going to see a family friend who is a car dealer tomorrow hopefully (was already planned for other reasons) but i may well bring up the subject of me wanting an RX8 and see what he thinks/ can do as a dealer (don't really know about these things, but worth a shot). Might look at getting in touch with that ad you posted about at the weekend :D
nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by nightfire10 »

Yea anniversary wheels are worth £600ish

These users thanked the author nightfire10 for the post:
HarSc (Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:08 pm)

180 of 400
Ollie
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Post by Ollie »

nightfire10 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:03 pm

Wow... I could've had a set in need of refurb for sub 300 quid before I bought the car. God dammit.
Club Treasurer

Kentaro The Red - Sadly fallen...
Star Platinum - Work in progress

For whats pending... See here: viewtopic.php?f=204&t=86071
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by HarSc »

nightfire10 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:03 pm
Damn, that's nuts! I know they look nicer but i never thought stock rims (even limited versions) could be that much more even second hand to someone... Learn something new every day i guess haha
Some guy from oooop north ;) | Harry | Membership Secretary | Media Team

- My Main RX-8 R3 [MHZ 3800] thread here
- My Project Banana [GL04 MXU] thread here
- My Mazda 2 DE daily thread here
- My engine disassembly shenanigans here