A chance to introduce yourself...
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Re: Possible RX-8 purchase

Post by PaulAV »

I personally drove over to Derby to help Will Berry out, he'd dropped a battery clamp bolt (ended up sat on the radiator) can't promise to make house calls, but there are people around, just saying
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
Ollie
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Post by Ollie »

What I'm saying is basically anything other than rust work is generally a fixed cost. When you go chasing rust through a chasis, it could be surface or it could be deep rooted. Finding out if its deep rooted in of itself can be expensive. So an engine rebuild is a fixed price, suspension parts fixed price etc etc. Fixing rust? Anyones guess.
Club Treasurer

Kentaro The Red - Sadly fallen...
Star Platinum - Work in progress

For whats pending... See here: viewtopic.php?f=204&t=86071
Groundpounder1
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Groundpounder1 »

Makes more sense yes I understand that, thanks for clarifying.
Honkytonk
Media Team
Media Team
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Honkytonk »

For that money, even if it's a heap it'd be worth more than that in bits you pull off.

Do it. I promise you it'll be the best £430 you'll spend.

Why 430? Because if when you buy it I'd highly recommend becoming a club member, as we get discounts on lots of stuff, Group buys, and you get access to even more help than you've been offered already, things like the Technical manuals, Mazda Documents etc.

Honestly, for £30 I've saved so much time, money, and frustration. And you get a shiny keyring.
These users thanked the author Honkytonk for the post (total 3):
goodeggbob (Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:38 am) • Ainmhidh (Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:58 am) • Groundpounder1 (Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:56 pm)
Want to Take Part in the Club YouTube channel? Click Here!

Marvel at the Amazing Technicolour P-Shed Project Thread
And my OEM-only Luton Adonis, the Mighty Vectra!
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by PaulAV »

Don't forget the keyring ^^^^
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
Ainmhidh
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Ainmhidh »

*cough* 431 *cough* (all costs upfront)
These users thanked the author Ainmhidh for the post:
Honkytonk (Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:25 pm)
Alan (he/him)| 2010 R3 | stock apart from a couple of dings and scrapes! (Black diamond discs, yellow stuff pads, RRP MkII Coils, MSD leads...)
Groundpounder1
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Groundpounder1 »

Ha I appreciate the hustle, and honestly considering the welcome and help I’ve already had gratis from you nice folks even though I’m brand new, I think it’d be a definite to join even without the offer of a nice key ring.

Thank you all again, it’s really nice to find a place to ask advise and help and be so inundated with responses, kindness and most of all patience with someone who has no clue. Cheers 🙂
Groundpounder1
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Groundpounder1 »

So after seeing it today and doing a couple checks I have more info/questions if you'll kindly indulge me.

I did an MoT check, and apparently the last MoT was 21st March 2016. It's been stood a couple years at least, if we assume it was driven for that year after the MoT. The advisories then state "all discs need cleaning due to standing (It's apparently been standing even during it being MoT'd?) and the suspension components were corroded. It passed all previous MoT's with no advisories back to 2013, when it failed on "Nearside Rear Anti-roll bar linkage worn and seriously weakened" and had advisories of

o/s wiper blade split
front brake discs rusting on inner faces
slight play in o/s/r anti-roll bar link
rear brake discs starting to rust

The BF of the woman I'm doing the work for said it had done nearly 40k, but according to the MoT the mileage was 53,400 at last MoT in 2016. Either he was just wrong or he was embellishing. It could obviously be more now.

There is also an "outstanding recall" found, no idea what that is, if anyone could help me out? It says outstanding since feb 2020 so I assume it only popped up from my check?

Can obviously see visible rust on the discs and know they'd want sorting, but the rest seems... troubling? Cheers.
Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Nickp47 »

This does change things a bit, it is still a pretty risk free purchase but with mileage being a fair bit higher than 37k the chances of the engine having low compression are higher.
Anti roll bar links (drop links) are very common items to break and not dear to replace and the rust on the brakes is irrelevant really as you would likely change them.
Rust on suspension components could be an indicator of more widespread rust, I think we can safely assume there will be some surface rust as it has been standing for a while so really it needs someone to have a good look underneath (check to see what cat is on it at the same time)

Also get it running and see if it restarts when hot.

If the above things seem ok buy it but make a compression test top of your list of things to do

It probably has three or four different recalls outstanding but these are normal and of course free of charge
Groundpounder1
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Groundpounder1 »

Hey again Nick, cheers. Yeah I just went snooping in the forum further and saw that the recalls are fairly common on a couple things, it was just a bit surprising at first until Iwent and educated myself a little bit :D

Yeah from what I've been told here etc I think it will hinge on the Cat for me, in case it's more than I want to deal with long term and wanna just break it in that case, and also actually getting it running going through some of the checks from the FAQ further etc.
nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by nightfire10 »

The disks will start to rust after washing with the handbrake left on!

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Hayward's Street/bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers edfc Racingbeat rear anti roll bar oil pres oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front rear grills,Tinted wind ws folding tow hook's,595s,connect2 ,at long last sohn and ap50 tank instaled ,revi ram air duct already fitted ! calipers painted,diff oil changed .
just oil lines to fit at some stage ( had them a while too) :P

180 of 400
Groundpounder1
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by Groundpounder1 »

The further potential worrying aspect was the fact that the last logbook change (presumably when she bought it) was just before the last MoT. I mean it could be nothing, but it could also be something drastic went wrong potentially during that time, and it was never used or put in for another one after the one from that first year of owning it. Seems it's been sat ever since.

Of course that is conjecture, and it could just be it was too expensive to run/not practical in some way or was just a vanity buy where the shine wore off. Who knows.
goodeggbob
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by goodeggbob »

Hj again mate,have you actually given the car a good visual inspection yet, as i said before,rust is the only real deal breaker at that price.
I suppose it ammounts to how much work you are prepared to do yourself, but spares for these,particularly used ones are both plentiful and cheap at the moment,barring the engine of course,if it needs a rebuild.
Rob :thumright:
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

I've never checked this myself but I'm pretty sure that if you switch the speedo display from mph to kph, then the trip and milometer also displays in kms rather than miles.

If this is the case then it's just possible that someone had knocked the button on the dash before the last MOT and it was showing 53,400 kms, which is about 33,180 miles...
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Honkytonk
Media Team
Media Team
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Honkytonk »

It do do that yes it does. Hold down the right stalk.
Want to Take Part in the Club YouTube channel? Click Here!

Marvel at the Amazing Technicolour P-Shed Project Thread
And my OEM-only Luton Adonis, the Mighty Vectra!
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Mummy... That man just said "Do do" :shock:

... and now he wants to hold down my stalk [-X
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post (total 2):
New Duke (Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:37 pm) • 30405 (Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:02 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ