A chance to introduce yourself...
ZuluMat
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Kuro Black

New Guy looking for a RX8

Post by ZuluMat »

Hello everyone my name is Mat and I hope you are all well, I have been a lover of Japanese cars since I was 17 with a rather nice Japanese car history.

Although I’ve owned several Japanese sports cars I’ve never had a rotary engine before so my knowledge is sketchy, I have read a few things on here and online but would like to ask you guys what I should be looking out for when I’m looking at buying a RX8.

I have found a nice PZ with 60k on the clock and going to test drive it on Thursday, what should I be looking for? Any issues that my be hard to spot if I’m not looking for them?

Any support and advice will be very much appreciated.

Mat.
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Re: New Guy looking for a RX8

Post by kopite72 »

R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
Lucky 8 Racing
Former Trader
Former Trader
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Lucky 8 Racing »

You’ve come to the right place!
A compression test prior to sale would be important unless you want to get a fresh build put on in the near future.
Other than that, sills, bodywork and suspension are the main things I’d be looking at on a pz as they will set you back the most to fix or replace
These users thanked the author Lucky 8 Racing for the post:
ZuluMat (Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:57 am)
All of the rotors, none of the compression
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

When test driving, or being driven, the car does not really “come alive” until you get above 3500rpm. Once rolling then from those Revs it should accelerate smoothly and quickly up to the beep which is up at the 9000rpm Rev band. The engine will not have the big increase in noise or harshness that a piston engine can.
Also it’s very easy to stall when new to the car as there is little torque when setting off and the engine is so smooth.
Is it a private sale or trade?
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

if the compression is good, then rust, oh my days the rust.....

rear arches is where it starts and then it can run down between the inner and outer skins to then rot out the back and bottom of the sills, plus the bottom of the sills and the around the bootlid centre brake light
ZuluMat
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ZuluMat »

Hello Chris, the one I have found is at a garage and looks to be in good condition and have claimed that the compression is between 6.1 to 7.1 across both rota’s.

Thursday I’ll know more when I drive the car, thank you all for your words of advice and I’ll go on the test drive better informed.
ZuluMat
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ZuluMat »

350matt wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:34 am
if the compression is good, then rust, oh my days the rust.....

rear arches is where it starts and then it can run down between the inner and outer skins to then rot out the back and bottom of the sills, plus the bottom of the sills and the around the bootlid centre brake light
looking at the photos it looks very clean and a good example of a PZ
ZuluMat
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ZuluMat »

Velocity_Dan93 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:13 am
You’ve come to the right place!
A compression test prior to sale would be important unless you want to get a fresh build put on in the near future.
Other than that, sills, bodywork and suspension are the main things I’d be looking at on a pz as they will set you back the most to fix or replace
I think for my own peace of mind I’ll have a rebuild in the near future then I can reset the clock on the engine, at the moment it’s all speculation as to when a service and parts have been replaced.
Scotty PZ
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by Scotty PZ »

Like yourself I have had a fair few jap performance cars, I jumped into RX8 ownership with a PZ also, they are great once you get to know them. If you have had a torquey turbo car before they can feel lackluster, but once you get your head around the way they perform, especially on a back road they are epic performance for the money. I have a list of all of the PZ manufactured with their PZ number, if you purchase it let me know and I can find out which one it is.
Galaxy Grey PZ number 24.
Large street port. Lots of flames, lots of smiles.
ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Re: New Guy looking for a RX8!

Post by ChrisHolmes »

My understanding is that the PZs were not “numbered” as the 40ths and Kuros were, but then every day is a school day after all.
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by v-rex »

Scotty PZ wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:13 pm
Like yourself I have had a fair few jap performance cars, I jumped into RX8 ownership with a PZ also, they are great once you get to know them. If you have had a torquey turbo car before they can feel lackluster, but once you get your head around the way they perform, especially on a back road they are epic performance for the money. I have a list of all of the PZ manufactured with their PZ number, if you purchase it let me know and I can find out which one it is.
Reversing on any kind of hill fills me with dread. Still can't get it right after all these years. Either I roll forward or I have a smelly car for a while....

Going forward, yes off the lights it's not amazing, but it's great once you are going imo!
These users thanked the author v-rex for the post:
Scotty PZ (Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:46 pm)
Scotty PZ
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Scotty PZ »

v-rex wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:40 pm
Scotty PZ wrote:
Reversing on any kind of hill fills me with dread. Still can't get it right after all these years. Either I roll forward or I have a smelly car for a while....

Going forward, yes off the lights it's not amazing, but it's great once you are going imo!
They challenge you a bit, you have to keep the momentum up to stay in the power band, it's bloody rewarding and always makes me smile like a grinning prat.
These users thanked the author Scotty PZ for the post:
v-rex (Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:56 pm)
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

New Guy looking for a RX8

Post by GreySilver Beast »

Hi Mat & :welcome: to the RX-8OC :thumleft:

Please check out the EVENTS SECTION's for anything coming up soon in your area :thumleft:

Events Team
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
ZuluMat
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ZuluMat »

Scotty PZ wrote:
well I currently drive a 2004 Honda Accord Sport with 150ish BHP but the motors I have had over the years have ranged from Toyota MR2 Turbo, Supra twin turbos, Skyline R32 Turbo, S13 200sx Turbo and other cars such as civic’s and MR2 and Supra NA’s. I’ve always wanted to have a rotary engine motor at some point and I feel the RX8 PZ is the way to go, having had my accord for a while now I’m sure the RX8 performance will far exceed it.
ZuluMat
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ZuluMat »

GreySilver Beast wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:57 pm
Hi Mat & :welcome: to the RX-8OC :thumleft:

Please check out the EVENTS SECTION's for anything coming up soon in your area :thumleft:

Events Team
Thank you, I shall check out the events once I’ve got myself the car.
These users thanked the author ZuluMat for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:33 pm)
Ollie
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Post by Ollie »

No car required to join in for meetups. Head along anyway. Its a great opportunity to meet new people and see some of the cars for yourself! Always a fun time had by all.
Club Treasurer

Kentaro The Red - Sadly fallen...
Star Platinum - Work in progress

For whats pending... See here: viewtopic.php?f=204&t=86071
Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Shagrington »

Hi and :welcome: ZuluMat :D and :whathesaid: about any meet ups. :thumleft: Happy hunting and good luck finding the right car if you didn't already.
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes (now finally retired) :cry:
Dom-PZ
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Dom-PZ »

Welcome and good luck! I wanted an RX-8 once... just to try, see what all the fuss was about. I was well rewarded and so still have it :D
Scotty PZ
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Scotty PZ »

ZuluMat wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:20 pm
Scotty PZ wrote:
well I currently drive a 2004 Honda Accord Sport with 150ish BHP but the motors I have had over the years have ranged from Toyota MR2 Turbo, Supra twin turbos, Skyline R32 Turbo, S13 200sx Turbo and other cars such as civic’s and MR2 and Supra NA’s. I’ve always wanted to have a rotary engine motor at some point and I feel the RX8 PZ is the way to go, having had my accord for a while now I’m sure the RX8 performance will far exceed it.
Good man, I have had 2 Jza80 tt's, one a UK tt6 and the other a auto tt, I loved them but the time was right to move on.
The RX8 is great pal, just invest in a compression test, check for rust, if all is well then make the jump. Do the basics and they are reliable, mine has never let me down (but then again, I plowed about 5k into it).
ZuluMat
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ZuluMat »

Yorindesarin wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:38 pm
No car required to join in for meetups. Head along anyway. Its a great opportunity to meet new people and see some of the cars for yourself! Always a fun time had by all.
Thank you this is kind of you all, I should hopefully all going well have a PZ by next weekend (fingers crossed) if not I’ll pop out in the accord :-)
ZuluMat
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ZuluMat »

Shagrington wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:02 pm
Hi and :welcome: ZuluMat :D and :whathesaid: about any meet ups. :thumleft: Happy hunting and good luck finding the right car if you didn't already.
Thanks you
ZuluMat
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ZuluMat »

Dom-PZ wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:18 pm
Welcome and good luck! I wanted an RX-8 once... just to try, see what all the fuss was about. I was well rewarded and so still have it :D
Thank you, I have a feeling I’ll be very happy once I find the car for me.
ZuluMat
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ZuluMat »

Scotty PZ wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:22 pm
ZuluMat wrote:
Scotty PZ wrote:
Good man, I have had 2 Jza80 tt's, one a UK tt6 and the other a auto tt, I loved them but the time was right to move on.
The RX8 is great pal, just invest in a compression test, check for rust, if all is well then make the jump. Do the basics and they are reliable, mine has never let me down (but then again, I plowed about 5k into it).
I think over time I’ll put a fair amount of cash into the PZ but I want to try keep it as stock as possible with some subtle mods, as times goes on the PZ will become a lot more rare.
These users thanked the author ZuluMat for the post (total 2):
Scotty PZ (Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:03 pm) • v-rex (Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:11 pm)
Scotty PZ
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Scotty PZ »

ZuluMat wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:48 pm
Scotty PZ wrote:
ZuluMat wrote:
I think over time I’ll put a fair amount of cash into the PZ but I want to try keep it as stock as possible with some subtle mods, as times goes on the PZ will become a lot more rare.
I agree, I am looking at buying a second one and storing it in my workshop.
Don't hesitate pal, they are a great bit of kit.
ZuluMat
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ZuluMat »

Scotty PZ wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:03 pm
ZuluMat wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:48 pm
Scotty PZ wrote:

I agree, I am looking at buying a second one and storing it in my workshop.
Don't hesitate pal, they are a great bit of kit.
Will see how this one looks on Thursday, all going well I’m be coming home with it.
These users thanked the author ZuluMat for the post:
Scotty PZ (Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:39 am)