Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red
Has thanked: 0

Howdy Howdy

Post by HungaryBill »

Good morning all!

I'm an american (I figured I'd get that out of the way early) but am currently living in Hungary. I've been lurking on the forums for a bit and have come up with a few European questions that my american forum counterparts just have no clue about so I figured I'd register here. I own a 2004 RX8 (231) with all the good and bad that comes with that. I bought it because there are two tracks within spitting distance of where I live (the Slovakia Ring, and the Pannonia Ring) and I wanted something to take out to the track days and have some fun with.

As of right now, she's stock. I'm working through the usual weak spots before I start shopping for go-fast goodies. I've recently installed a set of BHR coils and when I get back, I have a starter from an R3 waiting to be installed. But I am in Oxford at the moment, and I am definitely easily distracted.
So if anyone has some cheap go-fast parts that they think will fit in the airlines overhead storage compartment... :D

Cheers guys!
Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Re: Howdy Howdy

Post by Shagrington »

Hi and :welcome: HungaryBill. :D If you don't already have strakes try and find a set, they offer improved downforce and handling on the corners and it will look naked without them.

Disclaimer: The claims of added downforce may not be entirely true, the car looking naked without strakes definitely is true, disregard anybody who says otherwise, they are wrong.
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes (now finally retired) :cry:
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

:welcome: from another 2004 RX-8 owner (which I've owned from new). You've chosen a fun car for tracking. Done 70 odd in mine now, mostly around UK, but also Spa in Belgium with a group from this club in 2015.

One tip, which you may be aware of, beware fuel starvation, particularly on left hand sweeping corners when fuel tank is below 1/3 (although it can happen at 3/4 tank in extreme cases). We've had lots of issues with older cars where the fuel filter, built into the pump basket in the petrol gas tank tends to get clogged and the fuel pressure drops. New pump masks problem for a while, but replacing filter basket is the best solution if this problem occurs (or maintain high gas level in tank!).
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
Rostyghost
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Rostyghost »

Hi there Mr. HungaryBill! (:

Along with some go-faster bits don't forget about the brakes. I don't know how about Hungary, but while you are in UK you might consider getting some good brake pads and discs (although not sure if makes sense buying discs and putting them in your luggage).
EBC Brakes makes some decent pads. I have EBC yellowstuff brake pads and they do amazing job both on track and public roads. In tandem with EBC grooved brakes they will be stopping your car in no time. Not that the stock brakes are not decent enough to do the job, but when I experienced braking with EBC stuff on the car I firmly decided to have them on all of my cars from there on.

Another trackday essential for you would be Motul RBF660. Brake fluid is probably even more essential than good brakes and pads, and then again, from my experience, Motul RBF is a great product for the price. (:
Current: 2010 Black Abarth 500 Esseesse; Sabelt Seats, EBC Brakes; Ulter stainless steel exhaust; BMC air intake.

Ex: 2004 Velocity Red S1; RRP Coil Pack & MSD Leads, Mishimoto oil catch can & magnetic drain plug, Cobra rear exhaust; Motul 6100 + Motul 710; Autobot Drift figure on the dashboard 8)
HungaryBill
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by HungaryBill »

Shagrington: Thanks! I havent looked much into aero yet. I have an old magnahelic gauge I've been meaning to break out and take some baseline measurements before I started going crazy. I was thinking I'd start with some aluminum undertray pieces first and go from there (maybe extend it forward from the front lip, and out in front of the wheel wells. Might add canards. No idea what I'll do towards the back, but that's a ways off still).
Probably similar to the Miata in this thread: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum ... 454/page1/

Casey: I had heard fuel starvation was an issue but I was told it was under 1/4 tank and that a walbro 255 unit would fix that. Looks like I'll have to add a new filter basket to the list as well. I'm pretty stoked about finally owning an 8, I've wanted one since I heard Mazda was making another Rotary (circa early 2000's). I had a few RX-7s I used to autocross ("autotest" in the UK?) but never had any of them out on the track. Right before I moved here I bought a BMW 330ci to play with but tracking it proved to be super spendy (sub frame mount reinforcements, fragile cooling system, etc, etc, etc). The 8 as been marvelous in that department in comparison. Aside from "basic maintenance" there really isn't much it "needs" to take it out and have some fun. Quick question about that bonnet (hood) in your profile picture: Did you notice any difference (cooling or aerodynamic) when you put it on? I've been eyeballing something similar, but t 1000GBP it's pretty pricey

Rostyghost: Yeah, I've got a set of StopTech sport pads (front and rear) in the cart at Tarmac Sportz but am waiting on some money to come in first (tires, and safety gear killed a lot of my original budget). My car has about 22,000kms on it and the stock rotors look to have some life left in them and the stoptec pads are reported to be pretty gentle so I figure I'll run them and see how things look afterward. When I do those I've got some Motul RBF600 to toss in as well. I also need to get some gear oil for the trans and diff (looking at redline synthetic). Ebay.uk has been an absolute savior in that department. Trying to ship things to Hungary from the US was going to bankrupt me with the fees and VAT.

Cheers everyone!
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Howdy Howdy

Post by GreySilver Beast »

Hi & :welcome: to the RX-8OC :thumleft:

Please check out the EVENTS SECTION's for anything coming up soon in your area :thumleft:

Events Team
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

HungaryBill wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:57 pm
Quick question about that bonnet (hood) in your profile picture: Did you notice any difference (cooling or aerodynamic) when you put it on? I've been eyeballing something similar, but t 1000GBP it's pretty pricey
TBH, you'd be better off with some bonnet hood lifters. I bought the bonnet hood to solve a cooling issue (tracking with ambient 2%+ degrees), but it has marginal effect. I kept it though, as I like the look. It's criminal that Seibon supply the bonnet hood with a finish that dulls very fast when exposed to sunlight though. I was warned, but I couldn't believe how quickly it faded, so decided on the colour coded finish and now prefer it :D
2019-08-07 07.43.00.jpg
Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:57 pm
I also need to get some gear oil for the trans and diff (looking at redline synthetic).
Just make sure the oil you get is GL-4 spec, NOT GL-4/GL-5. Loads of info on the serious issues with GL-4/GL-5 spec oil on this forum if you are not already aware. I lost a gearbox trans on track "discovering" the issues!

Redline MT-90 for the gearbox trans is a popular choice. But sheer coincidence, 2x 946ml 2 x US quart ;) bottles arrived with me TODAY, ready for a gearbox trans oil change.

I'll think I've translated all my English to American :?: ;) :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
HungaryBill
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by HungaryBill »

Casey: hahahaha. wait now, you didn't join the american forum. I joined the Brit forum, I should be the one translating :lol: :lol:

I had to go back and check. Yup. I had the GL5 in the basket. You might have saved me a gear-box there, so this next beer goes out to you sir. Cheers! Had I bought the bonnet, I was planning on colour matching as well (see? I even threw the "u" in "colour"). That looks really amazing! Amazing enough, I might just keep it on the shopping list. Hard to justify though since the hood is already aluminium (shameless confession. that last sentence was put in there for the sole purpose of typing "aluminium". I really do like the colour matched hood)

GreySilver Beast: I'll keep an eye out, buddy. Thanks!
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you are bored one evening, have a read of this topic, towards to end it contains a fairly comprehensive report I wrote after a strip down of my failed gearbox and discussions with the oil distributor in the UK and meetings with Fuchs, the company that produced the oil that was recommended for the RX-8 6 speed box.

https://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/v ... 29&t=46270

We have again heard recently from forum users suffering gearbox issues who had used GL-4/GL-5 spec oil. They were unaware of the issue, so I posted this reminder quite recently:

https://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/v ... 6#p1218686
These users thanked the author casey for the post:
warpc0il (Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:39 pm)
Conan
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Conan »

Hi Bill and welcome to the forum :thumleft:
What milage is your car and is it UK right hand drive ?
I see you have been around a bit so you know the fastest way around a track is practice πŸ˜‰
All you need to do is brake pads, fluid, tyres and suspension ( cooling pipes to the brakes are the best upgrade after )
Suspension and set up will give you the biggest gain per lap with up to 5 seconds or so where engine mods may give you nothing.
Best gain would be PZ suspension in you luggage which is plug and play.
Aero is not worth playing with on these cars really although the PZ boot spoiler does stabilise it better at speed.
Regards
Pete
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything
HungaryBill
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by HungaryBill »

Casey: That was a pretty good read, thanks for that. I saved Opie oils for future oil purchases (as opposed to ebay), seems like a good guy to do business with. I saw other oils asked, but I didnt see MT-90 for the differential. I was under the assumption it'd be save in there as well? Your thoughts would be appreciated on that one.

Conan: My car has about 21,000kms on it but it's left hand drive. Honestly though, I'm pretty sure the mileage has been rolled back at some point. The guy had a clean line of maintenance records that came with the car, but it just seems low (and pointless. 1000-miles a year in a car is like keeping your girlfriend a virgin for the next guy). But I'll take it.

Yeah, seat time is everything (plus it's a lot of fun). I'm getting into the game late this season, but I'm hoping to get at least 5 or so trackdays in next year (more if I can swing it, but life tends to get in the way if I push it too much). I hadn't heard of PZ suspension, I'll have to check them out! I was on the fence as to whether or not I wanted adjustability (Konis, or coilovers) or just stab and play (Bilsteins and Eibach pros). And I know engine mods dont give you anything but dang if it isnt hard to stay away from the shiney stuff! :lol: So far I've been pretty well behaved about the matter, but not sure how long I can refrain from buying that racing beat single outlet cat-back they got. I bet that makes a darn good noise. :mrgreen:

Cheers guys!
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:21 pm
Casey: That was a pretty good read, thanks for that. I saved Opie oils for future oil purchases (as opposed to ebay), seems like a good guy to do business with. I saw other oils asked, but I didnt see MT-90 for the differential. I was under the assumption it'd be save in there as well? Your thoughts would be appreciated on that one.
Nope, you need GL-5 for Diff, look at first post here (scroll down) for common oil brands used:

https://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/v ... ?p=1218686

I've used the Motul option in the past, but now tend to use any generic oil that meets the spec.