MartinS
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Galaxy Grey

New RX8 Owner In Kent

Post by MartinS » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Hi there.

I bought a galaxy grey '07 RX8 231 a month or so ago, have had a couple of technical issues, so I'd thought I'd join this forum so I can have a read through some of the topics which might be relevant to me.
And maybe I can help some other people with advice along the way, as I am quite handy with the spanners and do all my own mechanical work.

I'm no stranger to the rotary engine, about twelve years ago I owned an RX7 FD.

Anyway, here it is, look out for it around the Maidstone area.

I'm off to have a look round the forum.

https://thumbsnap.com/s/AQNem2yN.jpg

Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Re: New RX8 Owner In Kent

Post by Shagrington » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:30 pm

Hi and :welcome: MartinS. :D We have a meet at Dartford every month (next one is next Tuesday - details in the social meets bit of the events etc section) and you would be very welcome if you can get there.

If you can't find the threads that may help with your "technical issues" please feel free to ask - someone will be able to help. :thumleft:

I really doubt you will need this, but I can't help myself with the copy/paste buttons :oops: Have a good read through whatever in the FAQ section you didn't already read :study: and then (and just ignore me if you know all this already) here are my best tips for keeping it all running sweetly:

1. To start up turn the key to position 2, wait for most of the lights on the dash to go out (I watch the airbag light by the glove box), press the clutch to the floor (optional, but reduces drag), turn the key to start and do not touch the throttle until it has started. You can drive off straight away, just keep the revs down for a bit (see #4 below).

2. Never [-X turn off the engine before it has reached at least somewhere towards normal operating temperature (should only take a minute or two, but best to go for a short drive if just swapping cars round on the drive etc). Switching off cold risks flooding, which is a real :censored: with a rotary engine. Mazda recommend rev to 4k and hold it for 8-10 seconds switching off while still revving if you have no option but to switch off cold (it is not necessary to do this in any other circumstance).

3. Check the oil level regularly (use the dipstick - the oil gauge tells you nothing other than that you have or don't have pressure) and top up if necessary with semi synthetic 5w30 (more people are advising to use 10w40 now though) ... small amounts at a time, no more than ½ a litre then check the level again before adding more as you don't want to overfill it.

4. Use all the revs once the engine is nice and warm (keep it below about 4k until the needle on the water temperature gauge is pointing straight up, then give it another 10 minutes for the oil to warm up too before really thrashing it :twisted: ) and hit the beep often. Best acceleration is from 4k revs up - to pull away you really need to rev to 2k - you can let the revs drop after lifting the clutch if you are in traffic, cruising steadily at 3½k revs and changing down to go up hills or accelerate gets you the best mpg ... which still won't be great. ;)

5. Join the club for discounts on all sorts of things (you will very quickly get the cost of membership back - and then some), loads more info in the members only sections, local meets (or if you can't find one exactly local it is a good excuse for a drive if you come to one a bit further away), a sexy keyring just for joining and more. :thumright:
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired - just need to get rid of hand over the bank stuff etc)
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes

GreySilver Beast
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

New RX8 Owner In Kent

Post by GreySilver Beast » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:10 pm

Hi Martin & :welcome: to the RX-8OC :P

Please check out the EVENTS SECTION's :thumleft: - Events Team
GSB-TDU - Events Coordinator & Events Team Admin
RX-8OC Club Calendar - GBCC & Network Delivery Service
Track Days = 57.5/Sprint Days = 13/Car Limits 4 person = 4/Skid Pan = 1/Go Karting = 1/Cars Driven = 179

http://npt-communications.webs.com < Click > ****GSB III**** - GT86 Track Days = 48

Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Nickp47 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:01 pm

Hi Martin, I have seen your thread on PH, could be worth posting on here about your car's cat as you will not find better RX8 knowledge elsewhere. :thumleft:

MartinS
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MartinS » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:56 am

Thanks everyone!

Shagrington, many thanks for that info, much appreciated.
The previous owner actually told me a lot of that so, hopefully, at least one of its former owners knew what they were doing!

I have changed the oil & filter already, and after reading a lot of stuff online I did go for 10/40 (changing it twice to dilute what is in the oil coolers the first time), as well as gearbox and diff oils and brake fluid. I'll change the coolant soon too.

I've not used the car that much (I have a couple of other cars I use) but in 500 or so miles it hasn't used a noticeable amount of oil.

Hello again Nick.
Yep, that is me on PH too.
I've read quite a lot online, including on here, about the cat thing with these since I posted on PH, so I don't want to go over ground which I expect has been covered on here many times, but I've decided to go for a de-cat pipe.

I'm still exploring this site, but some of what I've seen so far looks very interesting, I'll have a lot of reading to do at work tomorrow!

Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Shagrington » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:24 am

The double oil change was a good move, much advocated on here for people getting an RX-8 and not being sure what is in there or when it was last changed. :thumleft: You will find that tales of them drinking oil are largely exaggerated (depending how you drive of course - take it on track or blast round everywhere at full throttle and you will use nearly as much as the bloke down the pub says you will). On average I think most of us expect to top up about 1 litre during the course of about 1500 miles or so.

If there is a label on the coolant tank/lid saying it has FL22 you probably won't need to rush changing that, it is good for something like 10 years I think.

More important is the ignition system ... are there any receipts etc for new coils and leads within the last 25-30k miles? Read this if you didn't already find it viewtopic.php?f=25&t=36282
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired - just need to get rid of hand over the bank stuff etc)
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes

Ainmhidh
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Ainmhidh » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:16 am

Hi and welcome! Always good advice from shaggy and it saves the rest of us from saying it!
One other thing - I'm not saying you *should* join the OC, but there's a good chunk of forum including some of the detailed tech stuff that you can only access as a paid up member, and the discounts from the trusted traders for paid up members is likely to get you the membership fee back fairly quickly if you're planning on doing a modicum of stuff to the car.
Alan | Membership Secretary | 2010 R3 | stock apart from a couple of dings and scrapes! (Black diamond discs, yellow stuff pads, RR d585s, Magnecor leads...)

MartinS
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MartinS » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:42 am

Hi Shagrington.

Yes, you do tend to find certain car's little foibles get hugely exaggerated online, but I am keeping a close eye on the oil level.

I'll check the coolant cap later, I didn't bring the RX8 to work today.

I've read a lot about the ignition systems on these but that article really explains it well, just the sort of info I joined this forum for!
Mine had new coils, leads and plugs a year and roughly 2,000 miles ago, but I'll check the part numbers on the coils when I get time.

It would seem my car has suffered some ignition / cat catastrophe prior to my ownership, as a couple of weeks after I bought it I discovered this :shock:

https://thumbsnap.com/s/5UyuIlle.jpg

After a lengthy and very spirited drive at the weekend I did notice that the floor was very hot there so when I get chance the cat is coming off.

Hi Ainmhidh.
Thanks, I did join the club very late last night, I guess it just hasn't been processed yet. :thumleft:

Ainmhidh
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Ainmhidh » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:47 am

Good stuff - it's a manual process for the shop keeper to see the payment and then set a flag for you - usually happens in the same sort of time frame as an Amazon Prime delivery, rather than the old 28 day mail order deal! (I'm only talking about the forum flag, not the welcome pack - just to add to the confusion!)
Alan | Membership Secretary | 2010 R3 | stock apart from a couple of dings and scrapes! (Black diamond discs, yellow stuff pads, RR d585s, Magnecor leads...)

MartinS
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MartinS » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:55 am

Ah ok, that's fine, there's no rush.

I just noticed that you have Yellowstuff pads fitted to yours.

I'm a little disappointed with the brake feel (I've checked for seized calipers etc. and all is good) so was thinking about changing the pads to give them a little more initial 'bite' and Yellowstuff was what I was leaning towards.

How do you find those for everyday road use?

Ainmhidh
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Ainmhidh » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:08 am

They seem fine - certainly felt as good when I changed them as what it had on it previously (think it was greenstuffs on the front and ??? on the back with standard discs). They've now done a year and a couple of track days - maybe a bit of glazing after Silverstone - they felt less effective than I was expecting next time I drove it, but it all seems good again after some further use.

impressiveg
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by impressiveg » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:10 am

Welcome back to rotary ownership and the forum!!!

felixflyer
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by felixflyer » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:02 pm

Hi from another new member from Kent.

I just bought an RX8 as a bit of a project and am in Ashford.

Will possibly be rebuilding my engine soon (unless i'm really lucky and its just flooded). After that you may see me on the M20. :thumleft:

MartinS
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MartinS » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:18 pm

Thanks guys.

I must say, after having a bit more of a look round, what a brilliant and helpful site this is! =D>

Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Shagrington » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:42 pm

Thanks for joining the club. =D> As Ainmhidh said you'll find all the technical/workshop etc manuals in the members areas. :thumright: If it helps you with another option for brakes I found the Hawk pads I had fitted with Black Diamond disks a marked improvement on the originals. If you can get Mintex 1144 pads I have read on here that they are also very good.

The rotary, as I'm sure you know already, generates a lot of heat and the Cat has to deal with that, so your centre console and the floor by your seat do get hot as a matter of course ... not normally hot enough to melt the carpet unless the Cat has collapsed though, but don't expect cold drinks in the drink holders to stay cold or chocolate not to melt if you put any in there. There are many here who de-cat, as you are planning to do, but there are Cats that will cope - just not the cheap ones from Cats2U etc (unless you just put them on for the MOT and take them off again afterwards). If you do Mazda Rotary Parts have one that will work well for a little over £400 (Mazda's own is something like £1300 I think) or some hi-flow sports cats work (I have a BHR hi-flow and Pettit Racing Catback on mine) but keep it legal.

Glad to see you're finding the forum useful, there is a lot of good stuff here and a lot of very friendly and helpful people with some great knowledge. :thumleft:
'Grington.

MartinS
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MartinS » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:41 pm

Thanks for the suggestions on the pads, and cats.
I'll look into those too before I make a purchase. :thumleft:

Return to “Hello.. I'm new here..”