Oil filter relocation

Details of any aftermarket goods for the RX8.
Remember that this may invalidate the warranty. - The club takes no responsibility at all for any aftermarket additions to the car.
Velocity_Dan93
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Oil filter relocation

Post by Velocity_Dan93 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:08 pm

In my quest of being different and making the bay look pretty I've had a thought of relocating the oil filter to where my air pump use to be.
So far can't see anything other than some stuff from the USA forum which I take with a pinch of salt.
Problems so far:
Fire hazard: if it leaks it will be right over the manifold. Easily fixed with a little SS tray around it or something along those lines.
Air lock ?: not sure on this but I read something about but it has to be at the same level as the oem one ? Don't see why though.
Pressure changes: can't see why if it's a sealed system, the amount of oil that will be needed to get it trough some pipes shouldn't be enough to cause a problem right ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated I'm a little lost on this one :/
VR Mazdaspeed with lambo doors yo!
RR rebuild with full bridge and lightweight rotors.
CC ultra lightweight flywheel, pettit flywheel nut and lightweight underdrive pulleys.
AEM intake, full RB exhaust system, custom SOHN and catch can, greddy sump, Mishimoto cooling system and oil lines. Brap

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: Oil filter relocation

Post by warpc0il » Mon May 01, 2017 11:18 pm

I can't see any major issue with this.

The best way to avoid an airlock is to keep the runs as level as possible, especially no upward loops.

Also pre-fill the filter with oil and let it stand for a while before fitting, such that the element it totally soaked.
I always do this for peace-of-mind.

Make sure that any connectors used have an adequate bore size, as well as the pipes.

Don't be tempted to switch to a different filter element, unless you're sure that the bypass pressure is the same.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

Velocity_Dan93
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: Oil filter relocation

Post by Velocity_Dan93 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:25 pm

Filter will be the same size for sure thats the one thing that seems clear.
I don't understand the airlock issue as surely when you put a filter on the oem system you have a filter full of air? Plus the oil would drain downwards as it's upright. Is it that there is just an acceptable amount to be allowed or is there some sort of one way valve on the filter housing ? The kits I'm looking at screw onto the oem housing and extend with hoses to and from the new location.
VR Mazdaspeed with lambo doors yo!
RR rebuild with full bridge and lightweight rotors.
CC ultra lightweight flywheel, pettit flywheel nut and lightweight underdrive pulleys.
AEM intake, full RB exhaust system, custom SOHN and catch can, greddy sump, Mishimoto cooling system and oil lines. Brap

Return to “Aftermarket”