Replacing Double Din Headunit for an Android one

Details of any aftermarket goods for the RX8.
Remember that this may invalidate the warranty. - The club takes no responsibility at all for any aftermarket additions to the car.
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:52 am

I use my phone in a windscreen mount for music and navigation but now that the penalty has been increased I'd like control those functions on a less obvious headunit instead. This no-brand Android seems to fit the bill, can run all my music steaming apps, Google Maps, and has phonebook and bluetooth support. Everything my Android phone does and should be simpler than installing a tablet (have read that thread). Then I can hotspot internet to it (I get 30gb of tethering allowance per month).
http://amzn.eu/0bDViBG

I bought the car with a bog standard aftermarket JVC KW-R510 double din headunit already installed, so I'm hoping that it won't be a mammoth task to switch. I know I'll need to route the new Wifi and GPS antennae somewhere. Also my steering controls don't work with the current headunit so I'm not bothered about them too much.

Besides that, I'd appreciate any tips on potential hurdles/quirks with the 8 or things to be mindful of? Anything. E.g. I bought a 2 din stereo for my X-Type only to find the cavity behind was only 4 inches deep! Jag had made an extra-slim, L-shaped stereo for the car.

I'd like to avoid buying this, hitting an expensive roadblock, and sending it back. Thanks in advance.

Lemon
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Winning Blue

Re: Replacing Double Din Headunit for an Android one

Post by Lemon » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:28 pm

wow that looks like a cool bit of kit there.
Thanks, Stu

Dr. FrankenRex
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:26 pm

Having removed and replaced the stock head unit (for another stock head unit) and there's plenty of space back there - so that shouldn't be an issue.

I know that there are issues with AC controls etc. but I don't believe that applies to the R3 as they have different wiring looms, so you should be OK. If it already has an aftermarket HU then again it should already have the wiring adaptors to make it all work.

If it was me, I'd order it and have the old one out to see what's what. Amazon are great for returns so worst case you lob the old one back in and get your money back - not ideal, but I'd say there's not much chance of it not working.

Also, love to hear your feedback on it as I'd be interested in something like that in the future...
These users thanked the author Dr. FrankenRex for the post:
New Duke (Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:55 am)
FrankenRex2, leaner and meaner. RR Full Bridge rebuild with Race Extension porting, Cusco Strut Brace, RB Header, RB Dual Res Decat, Pettit Catback, Eibach lowering springs, Maserati 6 pot brakes, braided brake lines, custom built DRLs, track wheels, Custom front and rear lights, braided clutch line, RB ARBs - the list goes on!

New Duke
Club Member
Club Member

Post by New Duke » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:55 am

Thanks for your thoughts Dan, very helpful. I'll definitely get one or a similar Android unit then. Just trying to convince my business partner to let me put it on the company card, otherwise I'll need to wait a couple of months.

The only issue I see with the unit I linked to is that it only has 1gb of RAM, so could run a bit slow. I've asked previous buyers for feedback and asked the manufacturer if they plan to release a 2gb model soon. There is an Android 5.1 model with 2gb RAM but oddly doesn't have a front AUX input.

Don't fancy getting done by the plod so will get something. Will update with how it goes.

Dr. FrankenRex
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:15 pm

Depending on budgets, you could look to get one that does Android Auto. My only concerns around such a scheme would be the lack of apps compatibility with Android Auto - for example I use OBD apps quite a lot...
FrankenRex2, leaner and meaner. RR Full Bridge rebuild with Race Extension porting, Cusco Strut Brace, RB Header, RB Dual Res Decat, Pettit Catback, Eibach lowering springs, Maserati 6 pot brakes, braided brake lines, custom built DRLs, track wheels, Custom front and rear lights, braided clutch line, RB ARBs - the list goes on!

New Duke
Club Member
Club Member

Post by New Duke » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:01 pm

Good suggestion, I'll expand my search to Android Auto headsets and see what they do. My own needs are:

Google Maps (not any old navigation software)
Call handling
Bluetooth 4.0
Wifi
In-built mic for voice commands
Music playback from my Android phone (via bluetooth)
Multi-tasking (for simultaneous navigation and music)
Unrestricted access to the Play Store to install music streaming apps that I subscribe to. Like Radiotunes and TuneIn
Apt-X support would be lovely but not essential

EDIT: Sadly there's no Android Auto app for Radiotunes, which I pay for so am bound to (and like). So I'll need a native Android unit. Otherwise looks like a good option for other folks.

Dr. FrankenRex
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Yeah, that was what I was going to say about Android Auto... I also believe it only works via USB rather than bluetooth...

I would be very interested to see how this all comes together and how well it works in practice as I said, because I had a nexus install on my old 192 and miss the functionality built in to the dash

brad_wil
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by brad_wil » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:41 pm

Hi guys.
Any update on this thread?
I purchased an DD Android HU for my previos car and now want to put it into the track car...simply because i have it already and i could load the track app which could hopefully record my track life progression.
The one I bought was from this website:
http://xtrons.co.uk/
I also bought the facia from them.
I've just emailed them to find out which wiring harnesses I would need to keep everything working properly.
Otherwise I would have to purchase this which is a bit expensive:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CT23MZ04-MAZ ... 1438.l2649

So I'm interested to see what others have done.

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:42 pm

Do you still have the climate control working in your track car?
How about the steering wheel audio controls?
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

brad_wil
Club Member
Club Member

Post by brad_wil » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:39 pm

warpc0il wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:42 pm
Do you still have the climate control working in your track car?
How about the steering wheel audio controls?
Climate control works. I haven't tried the steering controls as there is no radio signal and I haven't bothered even trying to tune it.

GreySilver Beast
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Post by GreySilver Beast » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:42 pm

Had a look at New Duke's New System and was mighty impressed with the set up in his car =D> =D> =D> =D>
GSB-TDU - Events Coordinator & Events Team Admin
RX-8OC Club Calendar - Gang Bang Car Club - My Website - GSB III 03/08/13 - Present
S/Days-C/limits = 17
Skid Pan = 1
Go Karting = 1
3 MPS MKII T/Days = 6
RX-8 R3 T/Days = 5 + 7 session's
GT86 T/Days = 53.5 + 31 session's
Total = 64.5 + 38 session's
Cars Driven = 182

brad_wil
Club Member
Club Member

Post by brad_wil » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:44 pm

GreySilver Beast wrote:Had a look at New Duke's New System and was mighty impressed with the set up in his car =D> =D> =D> =D>
Do share...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Return to “Aftermarket”