What size aftermarket wheels

Details of any aftermarket goods for the RX8.
Remember that this may invalidate the warranty. - The club takes no responsibility at all for any aftermarket additions to the car.
kiwigaz
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

What size aftermarket wheels

Post by kiwigaz » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:04 pm

Hi

So after speaking with drifworks I'm now wondering whether I get slightly wider wheels.

I was going with 8j but should I be considering 8.5j?

So far order 18" 8j with offset to be decided(bank holiday in japan today) once work wheels are open.

Anyone have personal experience with wider wheels?

Car is lowered slightly on bilstein pro12 kit

Cheers in advance

J2daG1990
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White

Re: What size aftermarket wheels

Post by J2daG1990 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:05 pm

what size tyres are you looking to fit to them?

This will then help you work out the answer to your question.
Build Thread for the JDM Inspired R3 - http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=62214

kiwigaz
Former Member
Former Member

Post by kiwigaz » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:27 pm

I'm after a size wheel that fits under the arches with no modification given the lowering of my car. I'm running 245 on standard alloys at the moment and don't really wish to go much bigger.

mzivtins
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by mzivtins » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:48 pm

Go 9.5 j on the rears, they look mean as hell!

kiwigaz
Former Member
Former Member

Post by kiwigaz » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:51 pm

I don't want to run a staggered setup. Will they fit ok up front I. E. Clearance to turn etc?

Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:38 pm

If you are moderately lowered you can run 9.5 with an offset of 40 all around with no problem on 245 40 18s. That's what I have.

What actual tyres are they? The section width can vary between manufacturers.
These users thanked the author Phil Bate for the post:
kiwigaz (Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:53 pm)
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
Operation Mint - Kuro preservation project
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar

kiwigaz
Former Member
Former Member

Post by kiwigaz » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:52 pm

They are the bridgestone adrenalins. Cheers phil that's just what I wanted to know

Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:03 pm

Pics as requested:
WP_20150809_19_23_11_Pro.jpg
WP_20150810_23_57_27_Pro.jpg
WP_20150813_01_38_14_Pro.jpg
WP_20150812_22_41_26_Pro.jpg
WP_20150913_17_49_50_Pro__highres.jpg
WP_20150812_13_57_28_Pro_DT.jpg

As you can see they are pretty much as flush as you would want to go without it looking all 'pokey'. 245 on a 9.5" rim is knocking on the door signed 'stretch' but the section width of the Contis is very generous, so they work out nicely. Your Adrenalins will likely show a bit of stretch as Bridgestones are usually a little narrower for the stated tread width.

Make sure you check the weight of the wheels as they can get heavy in this size, and the Adrenalins are not featherweight tyres.

Have a look at this thread for other examples: http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... =5&t=66852
These users thanked the author Phil Bate for the post:
kiwigaz (Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:57 pm)
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!

Elonexxx
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Elonexxx » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:06 pm

If i get time I can get some pics of 235 Adrenelins on a 9j if that'll help at all?

I've got two et 40s and two 45s, and I have plenty of room but do have quite abit of camber, -2°C all round
- Stuart

kiwigaz
Former Member
Former Member

Post by kiwigaz » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:14 pm

I've gone for 9.5j and they have said et of 32. Don't arrive until may unfortunately!

722Adam
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by 722Adam » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:50 pm

Phil Bate wrote:If you are moderately lowered you can run 9.5 with an offset of 40 all around with no problem...
Sorry for resurrecting this thread but it made more sense than starting again.

By my calculations:
The size above gives an 80.5mm measurement from the hub face to the outside edge of the wheel.
The standard 8j ET50 wheels give a 51.5mm measurement to the same points.

Therefore your setup is equivalent to running 30mm spacers on the standard wheels (If you're looking at how the wheel sits in the arch) am I correct?

It's also 20mm deeper into the arch at the inboard edge (50mm total extra width, which checks out mathematically), does this cause any issues?

I ask as I'm looking at some JR11s for use on track and wouldn't mind the extra width for wider rubber, I'd rather not use spacers and equally don't want any issues when my budget finally allows me to run coilovers.
Full Bridgeport 231 - Built by Rotary Revs

Full Bridgeport / Lightened & Balanced Rotors / RRP Lightweight Pulleys / CC Ultralight Flywheel / RB Manifold / KKS Sports Cat / Toyosports Catback / D585-R Coils / Magnecor R-100 Leads / 2kW Starter / 700ml Oil Catch Tank / AEM Fuel Pump / PZ Suspension / Carbotech Brakes

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:04 pm

When you say "for use on track and wouldn't mind the extra width for wider rubber" are you expecting to get more grip from this setup?
If so, you could be disappointed.

Grip is a factor of both the size of the contact patch and the loading.
Too large a contact patch and the contact pressure drops below the optimal for grip.

Larger wheels and tyres also increases the unsprung weight, which also compromises handling.

Obviously there are many other factors involved, not least being the tyre compound and construction, but don't assume that wider tyres equals faster lap times.

Wide tyres are really for posers, not for drivers.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Velocity_Dan93 (Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:38 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

722Adam
Club Member
Club Member

Post by 722Adam » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:16 pm

I'm not expecting more grip. That comment was more to test the water and see if anyone came back saying they wouldn't use JR wheels on track.

The extra width is more an aesthetic thing to be honest. The high res version of my avatar pic shows how much the standard wheels sit inside the arches and under load it just looks as though I could get away with slightly wider wheels.

I could of course go for 8.5j with a different offset to compensate (give me time to go do the maths ;) )

Edit: Ok, it'd be 8.5j ET30 by the looks of it. As it turns out, the wheels I like aren't available in 9.5j with the required offset, so the 8.5s look like the winner anyway.

I was looking more for a confirmation that I'd done the calculations correctly, as I don't want to end up with something that fouls the arch.

Full Bridgeport / Lightened & Balanced Rotors / RRP Lightweight Pulleys / CC Ultralight Flywheel / RB Manifold / KKS Sports Cat / Toyosports Catback / D585-R Coils / Magnecor R-100 Leads / 2kW Starter / 700ml Oil Catch Tank / AEM Fuel Pump / PZ Suspension / Carbotech Brakes

Dr. FrankenRex
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:52 am

As has been said, if pure grip is what you're after then go for lightweight alloys and some super grippy tyres. My R3 alloys are no longer the track day wheels as they're quite big and running 255 width tyres (entirely for looks and a bit of kerbing protection).

I'm going for some 235/40R18 tyres on some 8j ET32 alloys for the track. They're not the lightest in the world, but they fill the arches from an aesthetic perpsective, but also allow me to get some nice track rubber in a cheaper size than putting them on the 19s :thumleft:
FrankenRex2, leaner and meaner. RR Full Bridge rebuild with Race Extension porting, Cusco Strut Brace, RB Header, RB Dual Res Decat, Pettit Catback, Eibach lowering springs, Maserati 6 pot brakes, braided brake lines, custom built DRLs, track wheels, Custom front and rear lights, braided clutch line, RB ARBs - the list goes on!

Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:07 am

722Adam wrote:Therefore your setup is equivalent to running 30mm spacers on the standard wheels (If you're looking at how the wheel sits in the arch) am I correct?

Sorry I'm late, but for completeness yes - that is correct :thumleft:

With the rounded shoulders of the 245 Contis I have not had any rubs at all, even carrying moderate loads. Results will likely vary with other tyres however (even of the same size).

722Adam
Club Member
Club Member

Post by 722Adam » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:28 pm

Thanks for the sanity check Phil :)
Dan.NJ72 wrote:As has been said, if pure grip is what you're after then go for lightweight alloys and some super grippy tyres. My R3 alloys are no longer the track day wheels as they're quite big and running 255 width tyres (entirely for looks and a bit of kerbing protection).

I'm going for some 235/40R18 tyres on some 8j ET32 alloys for the track. They're not the lightest in the world, but they fill the arches from an aesthetic perpsective, but also allow me to get some nice track rubber in a cheaper size than putting them on the 19s :thumleft:
My intention was always to go for track rubber (probably 595-RSR), as these will be a 2nd set of wheels, with the standard ones used for wet/winter road use. Unfortunately I'm a bit of a fashion victim so am a little picky about the wheel design, though I'm sure I can find something in a sensible size that isn't too heavy.

Dr. FrankenRex
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:01 pm

I have the same issue, but I managed to nab a set of BBS CHs in 18" form for nice and cheap :)

good luck with the hunt! lol
FrankenRex2, leaner and meaner. RR Full Bridge rebuild with Race Extension porting, Cusco Strut Brace, RB Header, RB Dual Res Decat, Pettit Catback, Eibach lowering springs, Maserati 6 pot brakes, braided brake lines, custom built DRLs, track wheels, Custom front and rear lights, braided clutch line, RB ARBs - the list goes on!

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:47 pm

The main issue with aftermarket wheels is that the oem wheels set the bar so high. You're talking serious money to find anything as light, let alone lighter.

I went with Dotz Touge, which are heavier than the oem but the offset means I don't need spacers to get the body alignment, and they still work out lighter than oem with spacers.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

Eddie_r32
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Eddie_r32 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:54 pm

warpc0il wrote:The main issue with aftermarket wheels is that the oem wheels set the bar so high. You're talking serious money to find anything as light, let alone lighter.

I went with Dotz Touge, which are heavier than the oem but the offset means I don't need spacers to get the body alignment, and they still work out lighter than oem with spacers.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
I paid £350 for a set of volk racing challenges in18x9 18x10 et30 ish, super lightweight strong design and look good
2007 Galaxy grey 231.
RRP Parts: Full bridge, long tube header, cofs + tanks, pulleys, engine mounts, oil injectors, remap, race cat.
Other: Greddy sump, Autoexe exhaust, autoexe brake brace, ingalls engine brace, ultra racing f+r strut brace, hsd coilovers, whiteline Arbs, 4 pot brakes, r3 Diff, r3 interior and lots more

Dr. FrankenRex
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:03 pm

Yeah, the BBS CHs work out about the same weight (or maybe half a kilo more per corner...?) than the R3 wheels, but they are an inch smaller...

Return to “Aftermarket”