Stuttgart ST9 Alloys and Winter Tyres

Details of any aftermarket goods for the RX8.
Remember that this may invalidate the warranty. - The club takes no responsibility at all for any aftermarket additions to the car.
Chris the Sheep
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Stuttgart ST9 Alloys and Winter Tyres

Post by Chris the Sheep » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:29 pm

I live out in the country with a really steep driveway so winter tyres are a must. I crunched some numbers and decided that it made more sense to buy a cheap set of 18" alloys complete with tyres than it was to change over tyres twice a year on my OEM 19" R3 alloys.

So here they are - Stuttgart ST9 18" x 8" ET42 in bronze fitted with Bridgestone Blizzak LM25 225/45/18. A staggered fitment with 9" wheels at the back was available but I wanted the standard setup and in addition I don't think the wider tyres would have helped in the snow! The open spoke design makes cleaning them a doddle compared to the OEM alloys. They show off the big brakes nicely too 8)

I also weighed both the new wheels and the OEM wheels with tyres out of interest -
R3 BBS 19" x 8" with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 225/40/19 (brand new) = 20.0 kg
Stuttgart ST9 18" x 8" with Bridgestone Blizzak LM25 225/45/18 (brand new) = 21.4kg

And the pictures...

Last edited by Chris the Sheep on Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Racing Brake 4 Pot Calipers | Slotted Front/Rear Discs | Braided Brake Lines | D585 Coils | 18in Stuttgart Alloys + Bridgestone Blizzak Winter Tyres | R3 Alloys + Bridgestone RE050A Tyres | Racing Beat Braided Cooler Hoses | Tinted Windows

DanBass
Communications Team
Communications Team
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Re: Stuttgart ST9 Alloys and Winter Tyres

Post by DanBass » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:52 pm

Very nice. You can really tell the arches were made for 19's though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'96 NA8 MX-5: MeisterR, and soon to be choo-choo'd
'56 Galaxy Grey PZ: sold

'54 Brilliant Black 192: sold
'54 Titanium Grey 192: rebuilt, sold
'53 plate Velocity Red 192: being rebuilt...still

‘67 Sunset Orange BMW 335D MSport Touring
'01 Topaz Blue BMW 330ci convertible

Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Bulldog » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:03 am

I like those wheels and good choice on the tyres
It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.

More info in my project thread

Worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you are, and your reputation is who people think you are.

brix79
Club Chairman
Club Chairman
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by brix79 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:25 am

Those are indeed some fine looking wheels. :thumleft:
John
Chairman & Forum Admin Team

2017 // 2010 Aurora Blue R3
Potenza S001s | 20mm Eibachs | M1144s | Pettit Catback

2011-17 // 2005 Titanium Grey 231 | Gone, but never forgotten..

Chris the Sheep
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Chris the Sheep » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:22 pm

Thanks guys, very happy with them.
DanBass wrote:Very nice. You can really tell the arches were made for 19's though!
Yes, 19" is wheel utopia! Unfortunately, this purchase was a balance of cost. I worked my way through the wheel options from the cheapest available and these came in at £480, not bad! Adding a quality set of tyres brought the entire package to £1,050. That was enough for me and there was no chance I was sacrificing the quality of the tyres for bigger wheels.

I was interested to see the difference in feel with a thicker profile tyre on the 18". Not much difference if I am honest. Our Mercedes ML is an Edition 10 with upgraded 20" rims from the standard issue 19". I went for 19" rims for the winter tyres on this car and the ride quality is way better.
Chris

Racing Brake 4 Pot Calipers | Slotted Front/Rear Discs | Braided Brake Lines | D585 Coils | 18in Stuttgart Alloys + Bridgestone Blizzak Winter Tyres | R3 Alloys + Bridgestone RE050A Tyres | Racing Beat Braided Cooler Hoses | Tinted Windows

HwAoRrDk
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by HwAoRrDk » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:54 pm

Chris the Sheep wrote:I worked my way through the wheel options from the cheapest available and these came in at £480, not bad! Adding a quality set of tyres brought the entire package to £1,050.
You overpaid a bit on the tyres. :P Should've checked the club tyre prices - Blizzak LM25s can be had for £101 each at present. :wink:
Speed-sensitive windscreen wipers project
Need new tyres? Check prices before buying with the club tyre prices service! (Club members only)

Chris the Sheep
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Chris the Sheep » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:26 pm

You overpaid a bit on the tyres. :P Should've checked the club tyre prices - Blizzak LM25s can be had for £101 each at present. :wink:
I did check! That website is a great tool.

Camskill and mytres appear to offer the best deal. Tyre prices are a bit variable but mytyres are showing £115 per tyre today which comes out at £460 all in delivered (unless I am missing something?) Add in another £50 for valves, fitting and balancing which is what it would cost in Aberdeen, and you're talking £510. Add that to the cost of the wheels at £505 (incl delivery) and you have a total cost of £1015. So I could have saved £35 but for ease I just opted to have then fitted and delivered all in one go. Saves multiple trips to the garage loading the car with rims and tyres!

Incidentally, I did try to wangle a further discount from LK Performance on the basis that buying such an expensive package that the fitting should be free. However, they weren't budging and I couldn't find another site that did the rims cheaper or did the rims and tyres I wanted.
Chris

Return to “Aftermarket”