home build turbo kit

Details of any aftermarket goods for the RX8.
Remember that this may invalidate the warranty. - The club takes no responsibility at all for any aftermarket additions to the car.
gazipswich
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Winning Blue
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

home build turbo kit

Post by gazipswich »

is it a viable option to build your own turbo kit? have tried searching but cant find. thanks and rough cost
Dadiodude
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Re: home build turbo kit

Post by Dadiodude »

You'd have to have a manifold manufactured, inter cooler, induction, oil lines and then the tricky issue of electronics so not really. Better to buy a used kit and refurb it. Remember that you wouldn't really want to turbo an old engine so there is the possible cost of a rebuild to consider as well.
"very funny Scotty - now beam down my clothes"

2008 40th Anniversary in Crystal White Pearl
Mazda Aero Kit, Coded Rear, Custom Cat Back, Vent Pod and Depo Gauges, Pipercross, Redline Trans Oils, Blue Calipers, Eibach 20mm Spacers, Rays Wheelnuts, LEDs, Leather Gaiter, Oh! and a Dangly Air Freshener

To Do: What's cheap?
Will66
Media Team
Media Team
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by Will66 »

It's possible. But it would take a lot of work.
RX8OC Met Advisor and Ex-Moderator!
Miss May 2013 with these modifications02 November 2012

Certified Tarmac Terrorist! Evading the colour police since March 2013 :ninja:

Mazda RX8 - The Liv Tyler's Lips of Motoring
liambeattie1
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by liambeattie1 »

so with a fresh engine is a turbo kit going to shorten the life of the engine more so than an engine that is neglected by joe public?
BIG-Mal
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by BIG-Mal »

Best bet, buy a premanufactured kit specific for the car aswell as for the specific power expected. The costs of manifold intake ecu, injectors, fuel pump, specific turbo "yes there's massive options & so many ways to screw it up"

A premanufactured,tested, known kits is by fare the best & overall safest way to go forward. Engine rebuilds can & will happen no matter what "it's a risk anyone & everyone has to face"

Luxuries such as traction control etc, yes there's aftermarket units to give this more capabilities to cope with the increase power but to be honest, if you can handle powerful cars then realistically it's not really necessary. Uprating the brakes is a must, possible exhaust upgrades maybe needed to help the general flow if your using the standard exhaust still. But for a general note supercharger kits would probably be an easier choice & maybe a cheaper option.

Not forgetting the tuning costs as any ecu would need mapping.

Technically fitting a turbo would be pretty easy, the electronics & tuning is the tricky part & the costly part then ontological of that theres the cool gadget route, boost controllers, displays, gauges, vdu's blar blar
EX faff owner "ST205 GT4 with 338BHP" now a REX-8 owner I love me driving & me cars

Toyo zorst, toyo de-cat to-be fitted, K&N type 2 induction, magnacor ignition leads, NGK laser plugs, updated coil-packs, updated battery, N3Z1 updated starter, carbon fibre door trim.

Plans, carbon fibre coil pack heat shield with cool air flow, also induction kit & radiator heat shield
BIG-Mal
Former Member
Former Member

Post by BIG-Mal »

I don't get this, any performance mod turbo, s/charger, air filter etc can effect wear n tear, even simple choice of oil can effect these engines
How you drive, low oil levels, not allowing warming up etc wrong fuels. These engines have 3 seals the apex seals which wear out these are the weak points.
Adding a 3rd oil injector like the yanks had for there rx8's we got dumped for apparently 2 like the early generation rx7's
EX faff owner "ST205 GT4 with 338BHP" now a REX-8 owner I love me driving & me cars

Toyo zorst, toyo de-cat to-be fitted, K&N type 2 induction, magnacor ignition leads, NGK laser plugs, updated coil-packs, updated battery, N3Z1 updated starter, carbon fibre door trim.

Plans, carbon fibre coil pack heat shield with cool air flow, also induction kit & radiator heat shield
Will66
Media Team
Media Team

Post by Will66 »

The 3rd injector was fitted on all the Series 2 RX8s.

BIG-Mal
Former Member
Former Member

Post by BIG-Mal »

Hmmm yeh but isnt he running a s1 like me......

Dadiodude
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Dadiodude »

Yes but as Will said, the additional oil lines were only fitted to R3s - no S1 has them regardless of market.

Mazda Aero Kit, Coded Rear, Custom Cat Back, Vent Pod and Depo Gauges, Pipercross, Redline Trans Oils, Blue Calipers, Eibach 20mm Spacers, Rays Wheelnuts, LEDs, Leather Gaiter, Oh! and a Dangly Air Freshener

Will66
Media Team
Media Team

Post by Will66 »

And since series 2 engines seem to be failing anyway it would appear that they're not a great solution to the problem. Any engine that you're going to apply F/I really needs to be built to cope with it. Uprated seals, higher oil pressure and probably Sohn adapter to run high spec fully synthetic oil will be essential for a long-lived motor. If I was going F/I I would seriously be looking at water or methanol injection too.

RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Custom

Post by RX8R3Rod »

And one senior rotary engineer from Mazda has been quoted as saying, 'if you're going to FI the RX8, do it within the first couple of thousand miles ...'. Hmmmm.
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Tein Monosport EDFC Active coilovers, K-Sport BBK 8-pot forge 356mm front, 4-pot BBK 330 mm rear, 20" ATS Racelight, Michelin PS 4 245/30/20, Pettit exhaust, Pettit front and RB rear ARB's, Cusco strut and brake brace, Full Paintshieldx2, Rustmasterx2, and Rustbusterx2, M'Z Custom nose and rear skirts
190 Winning Blue 05-08, R3 Aurora Blue 08-10 ... fabulous friends
Dadiodude
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Dadiodude »

Of course - then Mazda don't have to warranty it :)

My understanding is that the side ports aren't ideal for a turbo and Mazda suggested that a blower is more suited. But with Petitt no longer offering the supercharger the options seem a bit thin on the ground.

Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Bulldog »

If you look at my thread youll see what Will and Rod have said is what I am doing.

I am building an uprated engine with cold hardened seals and bearings. It will be running on fully syth oil with a sohn adapter providing clean 2 stroke into the combustion chamber. I will be using an uprated oil pressure regulator and new upgraded oil cooler lines. A turbo needs fully synthetic oil as it spins very fast 200k rpm is not unheard of and the standard greddy turbo only has oil cooling. I intend running this engine in gently.

Then I am going to install an apexi boost controller, a turbo timer and an adaptronics ecu and sensors/gauging.

Then using a bolt on greddy kit as the initial template we will add the FI at about 5psi and get the system working / tuned. Then I will slowly move over to a completely custom set up.

So in answer yes I believe whilst not easy it is possible to build your own kit.
It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.

More info in my project thread

Worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you are, and your reputation is who people think you are.
Will66
Media Team
Media Team

Post by Will66 »

:whathesaid:

All the people I've talked to about this say that to F/I an RX8 you need to build the engine for it. Bulldog is doing it the right way particularly with the Adaptronic ECU. If it was me I'd look at water injection too.

Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Phil Bate »

What are the thoughts on the [urlw=http://www.mazdaparts.com/products/Esme ... eals-.html]Esmeril apex seals[/urlw] as opposed to hardened ones? I want to turbo probably late this year/next year and will rebuild before hand, but I want longevity balanced with torque so have been thinking about these
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
Operation Mint - Kuro preservation project
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar
Dadiodude
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Dadiodude »

I don't think they're made for longevity but more for race/drag engines that are regularly pulled down. They're a vulnerable engine so however you approach FI I think you have to assume something will fail at some point. Pity that a three rotor is so expensive as that would be the obvious way to go for a reliable 300bhp (ish) N/A.

RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3

Post by RX8R3Rod »

It's quite instructive to have a look on the FI sections on RX8club and see the mileages people tend to get when they go FI. There are not too many that get very high mileages.

It's also interesting that Mazdaspeed experimented with, and then abandoned, (electric) supercharging between around 2004 - 2006.

Based on the mileages a lot of people seem to report FI seems fine if you've got some cash and it's not so much of a daily drive car but if you keep it in the garage and bring it out on nice sunny days at weekends for a blast that would probably be ideal, it looks to me.

I should think Bulldog is going to get about the very best possible life from his set up, as he's doing all the right things, as far as any of us can say. :D
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Tein Monosport EDFC Active coilovers, K-Sport BBK 8-pot forge 356mm front, 4-pot BBK 330 mm rear, 20" ATS Racelight, Michelin PS 4 245/30/20, Pettit exhaust, Pettit front and RB rear ARB's, Cusco strut and brake brace, Full Paintshieldx2, Rustmasterx2, and Rustbusterx2, M'Z Custom nose and rear skirts
190 Winning Blue 05-08, R3 Aurora Blue 08-10 ... fabulous friends
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Phil Bate »

With the seals I was thinking about not causing damage to the housings. As said with FI something is going to break earlier than normal, so it wouldn't be so bad swapping the seals out now and again when they bend if the housings haven't been all scored up. I presume they are only going to get more scarce in supply with no one reconditioning them?
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
Operation Mint - Kuro preservation project
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar
Will66
Media Team
Media Team

Post by Will66 »

The premature damage to the seals is generally caused by detonation, which is generally the motor running too lean on boost. The softer seals prevent seal damage hurting the housings. It's an F/I racing modification that's designed to save housings at rebuild time rather than prolong the engine's life between rebuilds. If you get the oiling, seals and ignition right, tune it properly and don't get too demanding with the boost levels then you should be able to get decent life from a boosted motor. Water injection also works to help engine life on boosted motor but that's another huge subject.

Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Bulldog »

We had a debate about this but settled on the cryro atkins seals and I will be adding a water injection system ..heat is the enemy of FI power
It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.

More info in my project thread

Worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you are, and your reputation is who people think you are.
madder
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by madder »

Should be interesting as there are two of us going FI this year.

:wink:
Racing brake 4 pots , stage 1 organic clutch, flywheel, Racing beat[/color] Resonated dc..Racing Beat Rev4 catback. COBB AP Black Halo Racing Ignition pack EVO2 race battery
rotorstock 8 fastest 1/4 mile 14.95 secs
Timmy2
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Timmy2 »

Anyone ever thought about mounting the turbo under the car where the silencer normally goes or in place of the Cat.
No I haven't gone mad its a thing try Googling it
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

It's possible and if you're only interested in producing max-power, either for the dyno or drag racing, then it can even be effective.
However, for a road or track car, the throttle delay makes it less than useless.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
13Black
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 13Black »

Rear mount turbos are so aids, and space under the bonnet isn't exactly the leading issue why more aren't turbocharged.
-= Rotormelon Money Pit Build of Tasteless Questionable Bodgery =-
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
-= Clicky click for build thread =-
PeteH
Former Member
Former Member

Post by PeteH »

I've never seen anyone actually prove the lag thing. It's "received wisdom" that it must create lag, because, well, it's obvious.... But the exhaust gasses take milliseconds to reach a rear mount turbo, and the pressure side builds so quickly that in the tests I've seen there is no discernible difference, regardless of where the turbo is. The major issue with a rear mount just seems to be the practicalities. You have to have a high temperature / pressure pipe (effectively a downpipe) running the length of the car. Then you need another high pressure feedpipe running back up the car. Then you need to pipe an oil feed and possibly water cooling from the engine to the turbo. Arranging the turbo control, BOV etc. needs more planning. You can't fit the cat until after the turbo. And you still need some kind of silencer. It's all just way more complicated and heavy. And it's inefficient because the exhaust gas is relatively cold by the time it reaches the turbo, so you need a bigger turbo to compensate (which does potentially create more lag, so I'll give you that Warpc0il ;) ). Basically, your precious engine power is being used to heat the atmosphere via an enormous downpipe...

As Mr. Black correctly says, you'd only do it if you didn't have space for a front mount. And under bonnet space is one thing we have lots of.

Return to “Aftermarket”