Looking to fit a sub to the bose system ?

Details of any aftermarket goods for the RX8.
Remember that this may invalidate the warranty. - The club takes no responsibility at all for any aftermarket additions to the car.
sonny91
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Looking to fit a sub to the bose system ?

Post by sonny91 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:42 am

Im looking to fit a sub in the car as it lacks base. Its a good system and i like it. I know alot of you will encourage getting rid of the bose all together. But i personally i like the system and im a fan of bose. I have 2 systems in my house.
I was lookin to put a sub in the center consol at the rear seat. The one that you can remove to get into the boot.
This is one thing i dont know about and would really appreciate some help. Is it possible to link into the bose. Do i need to get a certain sub do i need a amp ?
Was looking to do something like this Image

warnock360
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Re: Looking to fit a sub to the bose system ?

Post by warnock360 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:25 pm

Hey,

I don't think you will be able to fit a proper sub in that space, looks more like an 8" one. I put a sub and amp in the back keeping the Bose and works pretty well. You need to buy something like [urlw=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180750216315]this[/urlw]. That is the one I used and works fine. With that you can use any amp/sub combo as converts the rear speaker lines to rca.

Have a search on here, that is what I did and found some useful stuff.

Will
Done: Windows tinted, carbon fibre strakes, xcarlink, k&n panel filter, VIBE 12" 1000W sub, Audiobahn 800W Mono amp, offset number plate, black badges, fly eyes light tints front and back, ET500 pads, De-cat, custom paintwork, custom alloys, D585 coils

To do: cat back exhaust,drilled and grooved discs, coilovers

ryanshepherd
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by ryanshepherd » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:16 am

did you just take a signal from the speakers?? like, split the signal??
http://www.facebook.com/excellentcadaver

Check out my band, album released on 01/09/12

sonny91
Former Member
Former Member

Post by sonny91 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:17 pm

Thanks for the help. Id definatly want to go for putting the sub in the center console.
So it will be a 8" sub. Im not looking for massive base. What wattage would you recommend.
I was lookin at this
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 0604561715

If i was to go for this what amp would i need. And what else. Do i need a enclosure.
Sorry i i sound stupid but ive never had to fit a sub so never looked into it untill now

Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Phil Bate » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:22 pm

How about using two drivers, one above the other to achieve a larger effective diameter?
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
Operation Mint - Kuro preservation project
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar

warnock360
Former Member
Former Member

Post by warnock360 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:34 pm

yes I took spurs off the rear 6x9 speakers to go into the unit.

As for buying speakers and knowing what to get I have used http://www.bassjunkies.com for 5 years now. Quite a good selection on there.

As for wattage, I'm not too up on performance of an 8" sub but RMS is the important figure not peak wattage. I would say somewhere in the 300 to 400W peak and 200 to 300W RMS will be pretty punchy. Just had a look at [urlw=http://www.bassjunkies.com/subwoofers/8 ... er-08s8l52]this[/urlw]. Kicker are always good and the square shape may actually be better for fitment?? Check out the measurements carefully though.

Vibe are also good. I'm using a Vibe s12 1000w 12" sub and had it for 3 years now and would not change it one bit. On the amp side you need to go for something that will match the rms of what you want so if you go for say 300W RMS and 600W peak for the sub like that kicker one you will want a 400-500W amp so it too has an RMS in the range of what you are looking for.

I would suggest you would need to make an enclosure of some sorts too as that will help the bass but may not be essential. And thinking about it you will have to think how the ski hatch will secure into that spot it will be much heavier with a sub in it and vibrate a lot more too, so you might have to make up a custom box to fill the gap. Just thinking aloud here though.

I hope that helps. If someone has more experience with 8" subs please add something, mine have all been 12's in the boot!

Will
Done: Windows tinted, carbon fibre strakes, xcarlink, k&n panel filter, VIBE 12" 1000W sub, Audiobahn 800W Mono amp, offset number plate, black badges, fly eyes light tints front and back, ET500 pads, De-cat, custom paintwork, custom alloys, D585 coils

ryanshepherd
Former Member
Former Member

Post by ryanshepherd » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:34 pm

you can get free air subs that don't require an enclosure. they would do the job perfectly, to be honest, the amount of low end the standard system needs is minimal :)

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:24 pm

I was thinking of fitting a free air sub under the drivers seat, but I'm not sure if there's enough space to fit one large enough to do any good.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

ryanshepherd
Former Member
Former Member

Post by ryanshepherd » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:27 pm

you get ones designed specifically for under the seats, comes with a built in amp, no idea what they are called (i'll find out tomorrow from my friend) but my friend has one in his subaru, works well, enough bass to fill out his tinny sounding system, i totally forgot about these, sure he got it brand new from halfrauds for 30 quid or something.

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:55 pm

£30 or [urlw=http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_265872]£140[/urlw]?

It might get cooked under the drivers seat, due to the proximity to the cat/exhaust, so maybe the front passenger would get the benefit.

Actually there's more room under the passenger seat as it doesn't have the height adjustment.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™

ryanshepherd
Former Member
Former Member

Post by ryanshepherd » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:03 pm

it's similar to this but i think it was halfrauds own make, was definitely around 30 quid at the time, might have been clearance or something mind you, i'll ask him tomorrow :)

ryanshepherd
Former Member
Former Member

Post by ryanshepherd » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:06 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Infinity-Bass ... 500wt_1288

worth a punt, RRP is around 180 i think :)

VelocityVinnie
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 192

Post by VelocityVinnie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:06 pm

to get the best results you would have to build an enclosure onto the back of the centre cubby, a free air sub wouldnt work very well, and would rattle the plastics.

You could fit a shallow underseat active sub under the passenger, you wouldnt fit one under the drivers because of the mech.

Alpine do a good underseat sub, but they tend to be lower rated around 200w, which is ample when you have it in a small cab like the 8, the best thing about buying an active sub is the amp is perfectly matched to the driver and such the crossover is perfect, so no flappy bass.

If you tap of the 6x9 you wont get a true sound unless you use a device called a LOC, the Bose amps add loads of EQ to the sound and as such some low frequencies are removed and may mean you get muddled bass.

I would certainly recommend an active sub for 'add on' purposes.

Ive got two 12" drivers in mine, and punches hard, but it can get lost when your moving as they are in the boot.

I may add a small 8" sub under a seat soon, so i only use the big ones when im showing off lol.

Oh and you can also get really good punchy 6.5" subs now aswel

ryanshepherd
Former Member
Former Member

Post by ryanshepherd » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:14 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-IN-CAR-SUB ... 868wt_1272

for those on a budget,^^^

edit, this looks like it only has 1 input, you' need to take a feed from a left and right speaker, positive from one, negative from the other as you' want the sub running in mono.

i actually have a huge setup from my mr2, super shallow boxes, 400 watts powering each sub (2x12), and another 350 watts powering a 3rd sub, yes, two 12 inch and a 10 inch sub in an Mr2, it sounded insane!!!!

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:27 pm

Well I've just got hold of a used Ripspeed 100W Active Subwoofer System PSR-135A, which I suspect is the one that was on sale @ £39 in Halfords up to a couple of years ago.

Anyway, the outside is a bit rough,

and the wiring has been "modified" with a couple of rocker switches,

though the remote control doesn't look like it's ever been used :?

TIA

The unit fits under the seat, which is great.

The only problem is that it didn't come with any instructions and I've not found any on the 'net.

The panel has various sockets and switches...

Left-to-right;
  • I'm assuming that "L.P.F" is Low Pass Filter and I'd want this On.
    "Phase" is either NORmal or REVerse, so I assume this changes the voice coil ins to outs, to keep it in phase with the main speakers - so is there a method to this or just what sounds right?
    FREQuency is adjustable from 80Hz to 200Hz, which I assume to be the cutoff for the LPF.
    There's a jack socket which fits the remote cable.
    LOW IN L & R are RCA Phono, which look like line inputs.
    The HI IN/POWER socket has 10 pins, of which 9 are connected in the plug.
    The Yellow wire is obviously +12V as it has an in-line fuse holder.
    The Blue wire which could be switched +12V??
    Both the Yellow and Blue have the rocker switches inserted.
    There's a thickish Black and there's a loose label marked GND, which I guess should be on this wire.
    There's Grey marked HI IN L+ which is paired with a black marked HI IN L-
    There's White marked HI IN R+ which is paired with a black marked HI IN R-
So, my questions to those in-the-know (Vinnie this means you :wink: ) are:
  • Can I just connect the Yellow wire to the back of the cigarette lighter socket, or is there a better choice?
    What does the Blue wire do?
    The switches have been added so do I remove them or would they serve a purpose?
    Does GND just need to be any good body earth?
    Is it easier to connect the RCA plugs to line out on the head unit (is this even accessible?) or just connect the hi-level inputs to the rear speaker wiring?
    Would either option be better technically (sound quality?)
    What should I set the controls to?
    Do I need anything else to made this unit work with the standard Bose?
PS. If anyone has a set of instructions for these, or can find them on the 'net, please shout.

Cheers,
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™

warnock360
Former Member
Former Member

Post by warnock360 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:09 pm

Hi Dave,

I can't answer all of your points but here are a few of what I would/have done.

Can I just connect the Yellow wire to the back of the cigarette lighter socket, or is there a better choice? No problem in this for the remote wire, this is where I did mine and no problems to report.

The switches have been added so do I remove them or would they serve a purpose? I can only imagine these are to be able to turn the sub on and off when it would normally be on, i.e. if you only want more bass some of the time.

Does GND just need to be any good body earth? yes, normal stuff make sure it is a good connection, usually just sand a bit of the paint away where you connect it.

Is it easier to connect the RCA plugs to line out on the head unit (is this even accessible?) or just connect the hi-level inputs to the rear speaker wiring? I don't think there is a line out on the head unit? I used this for my sub as needed a low input via RCA. took the spurs of the rear speakers[/color]

Would either option be better technically (sound quality?) I don't think there is a difference.

What should I set the controls to? as you said use LPF to get rid of the mid and high otherwise it will sound muffled coming from under your seat. As for the rest of the settings such as phase, levels etc have a play around for a few mins with them as we all have differing tastes in how we want our systems to sound. I would probably have the freq set about mid way as this should add a little more mid to the sound too

Do I need anything else to made this unit work with the standard Bose? hmm you should be ok, when connecting the +ve to the battery you need the fuse within 12" of the battery.

I hope that helps a bit.

Will

VelocityVinnie
Club Member
Club Member

Post by VelocityVinnie » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:54 pm

OK

The yellow wire should be constant live so run this fused to the battery + terminal.

The blue wire is remote +12v this needs to go to the cig lighter.

The black is ground, so take this to a good chassis point, or because its going under the seat you could use a sub frame mounting bolt.

there is no line out on the Bose, so the RCA's are redundant.

you will need to use the high inputs on your sub taken from the rear 6x9 speaker.

you don't need the rocker switches, unless you want to use one as a dead mans handle to cut power to the sub, and in which case should be on the yellow constant 12v.

everything as been covered regarding low pass switch, phase etc so no need to add to that.

I suggest once you have installed it, then turn the system up to your normal listening level and bring the sub volume in until the balance is right, you will have to find a happy medium with phase and crossover point, as every genre of music will sound different, and be portrayed by the sub different.

vin

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:12 pm

Thanks guys.

I'll do a quick'n'dirty hook-up first to make sure the unit works, before I start removing bits of trim etc to get it installed neatly.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:55 pm

My quick-n-dirty hook-up showed that the sub wasn't working, which turned out to be a tiny flake of corrosion that had shorted across a couple of tracks on the PCB. :roll:

Once I'd finally got it working, I was about to fix it under the front seat (where it's designed to go) but I wasn't really happy about the loss of leg (foot) room for any rear seat passengers.

After a bit of wondering around the car I discovered that it's a perfect snug fit inside the rear storage box, between the rear seats.

I cut a 3" diameter hole in the face of the box, directly aligned with the speaker, as it was very muffled otherwise, now it sounds great.

It's not about to take on The Ministry of Sound but it just adds the bass that the Bose system misses.

It also made it very easy to do the wiring as everything just piggy-backs off the main amp and speakers.

I was thinking of dressing the hole with one of these but, seeing as I only paid £20 for the subwoofer including postage, it seems a bit overkill to spend £18 to add a bit of bling. [-X

SteveD kindly provided a Mazda bonnet badge which is a perfect fit and dresses the hole nicely.

I fitted the remote control to the side of the console, which is neat while still being accessible.

If anyone is thinking of doing the same you want a Ripspeed 100W Active Subwoofer System PSR-135A. They normally go for around £30 plus P&P but I was lucky as the seller just called it a "car amplifier" in the title of the listing and put it in the "Amplifiers" section - so no one else noticed it :lol:

Pros & Cons..

Pro
  • cheap unit
    very simple and neat installation
    nothing modified other than the skihatch box, which is easy to replace
    no loss of boot or cabin space
    subtle improvement in sound
Cons
  • limited extra bass - so not for the boom-box boys
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:41 pm

Updated:

The installation has proven to be really neat and visually attractive while still understated.

It takes up no room on the boot or cabin and less than half the volume of the ski-hatch box.

However, I've been a bit disappointed with the volume of output from the Ripspeed subwoofer, and the original unit I bought sometimes droped in and out, though it's so quiet you'd hardly notice.

The drop-outs seem to be caused by the jack socket where the remote plugs in having been strained during it's previous installation (bought unit used). It's possible to get a replacement socket from Maplin though it will require a daughterboard to be removed to replace. :roll:

Anyway, I was lucky to come across a new-old-stock unit at a bargain price, complete in it's original unopened box - result - no more drop-outs. =D>

The volume from the new unit is also very low and I've concluded that this is due to the Bose system having low impedance (2 ohm IIRC) speakers. With such low impedance, the voltage required to drive them at a reasonable volume might not be sufficient to really drive the subwoofer's hi-level input; at least that's my theory. :scratch:

The subwoofer also has RCA inputs but, of course, there's no RCA output on the headunit or rear Bose amp.

At a cheap potential solution I've sourced a hi-level to RCA converter with adjustable (0 to 2V) input level.

It arrived today but it's just too pigging cold to got out there and mess about with wires.
convertor.jpg
Converter
convertor.jpg (79.63 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
It's obvious how it connects and is adjusted though I took a look at the "Easy to follow illustrated instructions"....
instructions.jpg
Instructions
instructions.jpg (325.26 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
So that's pretty clear then :roll:

If this works I'll consider fixing the original subwoofer and making a kit, with really simple instructions if anyone is interested in the same installation. Light effects will be optional.

A neater solution than the external converter could be to replace some components on the Ripspeed's circuitboard, to make the input more sensitive. However, that would be more messing about and the converter is only the size of a ciggy pack and fits neatly under the parcel shelf, alongside all the Bose hardware.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:21 pm

Quick update...

I finally got around to fitting the RCA adaptor and it works really well.

So well, that for most music I only have the sub running at half power and for speech I switch it off.

Just as well that I fitted the remote on the side of the transmission tunnel.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™

DanBass
Communications Team
Communications Team
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by DanBass » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Oh my god. I just read those instructions and saw the first wife line! Hahahahahaha

Glad you got it working Dave.
'96 NA8 MX-5: MeisterR, and soon to be choo-choo'd
'56 Galaxy Grey PZ: sold

'54 Brilliant Black 192: sold
'54 Titanium Grey 192: rebuilt, sold
'53 plate Velocity Red 192: being rebuilt...still

‘67 Sunset Orange BMW 335D MSport Touring
'01 Topaz Blue BMW 330ci convertible

Lee LRD
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Lee LRD » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:52 pm

get a small (ideally digital amp (less heat produced) get a decent sub, i had a 10 inch in a sealed enclosure.
Get a set of LOC (line out convertors) from halfords about 7quid.
tap into rear speaker wires from Bose amp in boot use the LOC to convert the connection to phono leads to plug into amp
run a remote switch from the cigarette lighter to the amp.
run an earth and power from the battery

it works a treat, i found the bose sound very flat and with the sub set right gave a more richer sound.

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:55 pm

Lee LRD wrote: i found the bose sound very flat and with the sub set right gave a more richer sound.
This is the best bet for richer sounds :roll:
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™

JamesChamberlain
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by JamesChamberlain » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:31 am

If your looking for a Sub go for a Proper Sub Enclosure
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAZDA-RX8-RX-8- ... 0945030895
Mazda RX8 S1 Galaxy Grey 192, FH06 WZX, Tobacco/Black leather Interior, All extras

Mods - Nexus Install, Blue Interior LED's, Miltech Catback, Toyosports Decat, AEM Intake,R969 Coils,Stage 1 Clutch, Adjustable Droplinks, Mazdaspeed Kit, Mazdaspeed Front&Rear Struts, Exedy Light Flywheel, Greddy Sump

Next - Racing Beat Sway Bars, Teins Monoflex Coilovers, Window Tints

Return to “Aftermarket”