Let's talk oil catch cans

Details of any aftermarket goods for the RX8.
Remember that this may invalidate the warranty. - The club takes no responsibility at all for any aftermarket additions to the car.
MARKTHOMASBRAND
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Let's talk oil catch cans

Post by MARKTHOMASBRAND »

Halcyon wrote:I think the catch cans may actually be causing this issue.
The only reason I fitted a catch can was because I got fed up of cleaning out the intake due to the standard Mazda arrangement not doing it's job properly #-o

After this occurring on around 6 occasions,and only 1 of those occasions was the oil actually overfilled,I'd finally had enough and fitted the can.I knew this solution would not stop the oil getting sucked up but 2 mins to empty the can is way better than the best part of an hour removing & cleaning the air box,MAF & throttle body IMO :)

Regards,Mark.
Mark's : 2023 Misano Blue BMW M135i XDrive.

Mandy's : 2019 30th Anniversary Mazda MX-5 RF # 1761/3000.
stewartm
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by stewartm »

In my case I have recently had a series of issues, prior to fitting a catch can. Fitting the catch can did not resolve them. My take is that the 8mm dia pipe that connects the top of the filler tube to either the intake, or catch can if fitted, can not shift enough gas in high revs/high load situations, and the problems stem from there.
Java
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Nordic Green
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Java »

Stewart, are you the guy that's currently testing the "vent-to-atmosphere" for Ben to help prove whether oil is being sucked up or blown up? If so, any issues with oil being blown up the filler tube?

Re. blow-by gasses, on an engine with good compression, I presume that some gas will make it into the sump regardless since all seals cannot be 100% perfect. If so, my rebuilt engine only started filling the catch can after about 4000 miles. One would have thought that with seals becoming more bedded in with more miles driven then the likely hood of filling the catch can would be less...if the issue is caused by blow-by gasses.

So, in a nutshell, I'm still confused as to why it happens and wonder if anyone is any wiser given that many of us are seeing this problem. For me, it even happened when the oil was well under the halfway mark.

Steve
NG 230, T/B leather, SS strakes, RR rebuild, Sohn adaptor
stewartm
Club Member
Club Member

Post by stewartm »

Yes, that is me. Based on experiences over the weekend at Blyton, it looks like it is definitely blowing in my case. I need to sort some time with Ben and look at it further, as the Blyton test was the next step we were following to fully figuring out what is going on. I am back at Blyton in a couple of weeks, so will be doing so more testing to try and refine what we know. Will keep you posted if I find out anything further.

Cheers Stew.
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

As Stew knows, I forgot :oops: :oops: :oops: to replace my oil filler cap at Blyton last weekend after topping up to about 3/4 at the very start of the day. I did 3 hard sessions of ~15 minutes each on track before I spotted what I'd done (plonker!). Anyway, the open top of the filler was bone dry and they was ZERO sign of an oil having been blown out anywhere in the engine bay. I fully expected a massive clean up job, bit nothing :? . So any appearance of oil at the filler neck is certainly not a routine occurrence, even when the nuts are being revved off the engine and the car being significantly thrown about!

So, basic question, why did Stew's engine vent oil and mine didn't, even with filler cap off :?

I hope someone can find out the cause, as this seems to happen to a significant minority of engines and understanding the cause will lead to a solution.
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
stewartm
Club Member
Club Member

Post by stewartm »

Perhaps that lends weight to what I was thinking. Any gas that was venting out of the filler pipe did not have to deal with the constriction of being forced down the pipe to the intake. My suspicion is that under some conditions, the gas flow rate exceeds what that pipe is capable of transporting away and so pressure builds behind as the system effectively becomes closed. No filler cap = no restriction = no closed system for pressure to build in. Maybe I should run with the filler cap removed :twisted:

Also, you have the breather mod, which should allow a great flow rate for any gas as there are 3 pipes to exit out of rather than one (if I understand the mod correctly).

<disclaimer>
This may all be cobblers. I am waiting on someone who actually knows what the hell they are talking about to confirm whether my theory holds water.
</disclaimer>
Java
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Java »

If the breather mod you're referring to is the one from the top of the oil filler tube to the lower intake manifold, then isn't that tube still the same diameter and therefore just as restrictive? The fact it splits at a T to go to both intake nipples shouldn't help if the upper end is still restrictive to the flow of gases.
stewartm
Club Member
Club Member

Post by stewartm »

Ah there you go. I hadn't seen the mod in detail. I though there were multiple tubes from the filler pipe rather than a single one that splits. That could well be my theory up in smoke. With the mod there is still a feed off to the intake tho as well isn't there, so ultimately you have 3 paths (2x links to the maintenance ports and 1x to the intake). Do they all feed off the same source pipe from the filler?
MARKTHOMASBRAND
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MARKTHOMASBRAND »

I thought the breather mod was fitted by Mazda to solve the mayo on the dipstick problem and nothing to do with oil in the intake :?

Regards,Mark.
Mark's : 2023 Misano Blue BMW M135i XDrive.

Mandy's : 2019 30th Anniversary Mazda MX-5 RF # 1761/3000.
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

MARKTHOMASBRAND wrote:I thought the breather mod was fitted by Mazda to solve the mayo on the dipstick problem and nothing to do with oil in the intake :?

Regards,Mark.
Correct, I was speculating whether it might also have some other benefits wrt the oil problem. But, as with Stew;

<disclaimer>
This may all be cobblers. I am waiting on someone who actually knows what the hell they are talking about to confirm whether my theory holds water.
</disclaimer>

:lol: :lol:
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
Ian.Mothersole
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Ian.Mothersole »

This probably wont help, but I may as well just throw my setup into the discussion: Hayward bridge ported 231 engine, <2006/7 engine with no breather mods, and no catch can. The only oil that's been in my intake is the result of my own stupidity :oops:

Stew, I wonder if you could modify an oil filler cap to fit a wider diameter pipe to the top of the filler neck?
Ian.M - Keep It Simple!
Club Shopkeeper & Forum Admin Team

"Rex" 2009-16
Velocity Red 231; Hayward Rotary ported engine; Racing Beat exhaust, flywheel, air duct, anti-roll bars; Eibach lowering springs, wheel spacers; Essex Rotary mini-remap; Prodrive PZ spoiler.
"Rex 2" 2014-
Velocity Red 231; the project car.
"Blue Rex" 2015-
Winning Blue 231; RX ATE.
benedunn
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by benedunn »

Mazdas breather mod adds a second breather pipe from the sump. So 1 into the upper intake and one that tee's off down to the lower intake. Also worth noting that the lower intake will create a negative atmosphere since it sucks hard.

FYI everyone Christine's 'oil leak' was infact her newly fitted catch can over flowing :shock:
Please excuse the spelling mistakes ^^ :D

I'll second that!

rex 192 b black: Red RX8 R3 n do i love it :D
motorsport and performance
Witton7117
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Witton7117 »

Does the PZ have this mod already in place or would I still benefit from getting a catch can and SOHN?

Cheers
Java
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Java »

benedunn wrote:Mazdas breather mod adds a second breather pipe from the sump. So 1 into the upper intake and one that tee's off down to the lower intake.
Thanks for the info Ben. I wondered where the tube from the upper intake disappered to.

Would adding a breather to an original S1 sump be an easy thing to do (ie. leak proof)? And if so, would that mean we'd need two catch cans, or just the one before the upper air intake? That's probably more relevant to those using fully synthetic in the sump.
Chris231
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Chris231 »

Ian.Mothersole wrote:This probably wont help, but I may as well just throw my setup into the discussion: Hayward bridge ported 231 engine, <2006/7 engine with no breather mods, and no catch can. The only oil that's been in my intake is the result of my own stupidity :oops:

I'm with Ian on this one, mine is a Hayward rebuild 2009, no overfilling issues, had no issues on track days etc. Put a catch can on and what happens on the first track day with it on, she decides she's going to vomit :puke: more oil into the catch can than she can cope with, resulting in oil all over the floor. :roll:
Titanium Grey, bling wheels (set number 6) Now gone but will never be forgotten, sat nav, I-mob tracking, SS Strakes, full set of RB grills, K&N Filter and Borla zorst. Now lowered.

Just ask me where anything is, it will be in the boot!!

Now she's "the reasonably priced car is the star" as driven by Jason Plato on Fifth Gear. :notworthy:

Looked after by Rotaryrevs
Ian.Mothersole
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Ian.Mothersole »

^^Not a good advert for fitting a catch can then :|
Ian.M - Keep It Simple!
Club Shopkeeper & Forum Admin Team

"Rex" 2009-16
Velocity Red 231; Hayward Rotary ported engine; Racing Beat exhaust, flywheel, air duct, anti-roll bars; Eibach lowering springs, wheel spacers; Essex Rotary mini-remap; Prodrive PZ spoiler.
"Rex 2" 2014-
Velocity Red 231; the project car.
"Blue Rex" 2015-
Winning Blue 231; RX ATE.
Chris231
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Chris231 »

It is puzzling :scratch:

Maybe she was just that way out on Saturday morning :lol: :wink:
Titanium Grey, bling wheels (set number 6) Now gone but will never be forgotten, sat nav, I-mob tracking, SS Strakes, full set of RB grills, K&N Filter and Borla zorst. Now lowered.

Just ask me where anything is, it will be in the boot!!

Now she's "the reasonably priced car is the star" as driven by Jason Plato on Fifth Gear. :notworthy:

Looked after by Rotaryrevs
bigboss1986
Non Member
Non Member

Post by bigboss1986 »

I fitted mine today but I could not fit beside brake fluid tank like some members because of 1 metal pipe :cry: So instead i moved to the right but my inlet is higher than oil filler.Bottom of the tank is lower tahn oil cap.Is it still ok?

On 1st photo yellow arrow shows ''usual'' place for tank

On 2nd photo there is that pipe,I belive from stock but if my tank can be ''higher'' than oil filler Im happy.

Waiting for answers lads:D

Thanks
Done: 2x NCT,Tax changed to 1.3,Toyo full exhaust,oil cooler pipes,remedy high flow water pump,custom guages,poly bushes all round,KN panel filter,fitted baby seat :D
In progress: a lot :D
To do: fix some rust

SOLD :(
Markryan1981
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Markryan1981 »

After getting my air box off this weekend for the first time - guess I need an oil catch then :D ?

I filled the 8 up to 75% up the dip stick this weekend when I changed the oil, no further than that... perhaps keep that to 50%?
Mark

“Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.”

Titanium 231. Apex Rebuild @ 90k. Vreds 235/40/R18s, Premixing Motul 710. Fuchs XTR 5w-30. K&N air filter. XCarLink with Bluetooth. RR D585s, NGK Iridium plugs & Magnecor leads. White LEDs. Lockwood Grills. Red Stuff Ceramic pads and drilled discs. Using Tescos 99 ron.

http://www.albinballad.co.uk <- the other daft expensive hobby.
V8 Power
Former Member
Former Member

Post by V8 Power »

Fitted my catchcan over the weekend, question though.

I have used silicone pipe. Is this ok for resistance to oil or should I use fuel pipe?

Thanks
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence " Carl Sagan.
StreetDragster
Former Member
Former Member

Post by StreetDragster »

It'll be fine, my other car uses silicone piping for its full breather system and its been fine.

I think its only oil under pressure and fuel you need to be wary of using silicone

Thanks

Matt
2004 Mazda RX8 231 Trackcar
2004 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2V6
2018 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
Danwells84
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Danwells84 »

What size pipe is it? I have a catch can but not pipe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigboss1986
Non Member
Non Member

Post by bigboss1986 »

All information are here....anyway u need 8mm or 9mm.Color of your choice :D 2m will do
Done: 2x NCT,Tax changed to 1.3,Toyo full exhaust,oil cooler pipes,remedy high flow water pump,custom guages,poly bushes all round,KN panel filter,fitted baby seat :D
In progress: a lot :D
To do: fix some rust

SOLD :(
Danwells84
Non Member
Non Member

Post by Danwells84 »

Thanks, I agree I should look through the thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
V8 Power
Former Member
Former Member

Post by V8 Power »

Yes
I used 9mm ID in blue but bought 3metres!

However I do have 1metre left over :oops:
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence " Carl Sagan.

Return to “Aftermarket”