Wheel Spacers - 20mm too much?

Details of any aftermarket goods for the RX8.
Remember that this may invalidate the warranty. - The club takes no responsibility at all for any aftermarket additions to the car.
BobJ
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wheel Spacers - 20mm too much?

Post by BobJ » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:45 pm

I had a set of 20mm (total 40mm track increase per axle) Eibach hub-centric pro-spacers fitted front and rear when I had the Racing Brake BBK fitted this week. Although they are not strictly needed for clearance between the caliper and the wheel, I thought I'd give them a bash on aesthetic grounds.

The springs and wheels are standard and the spacers bring the edges of the tyres right up level with the width of the wings - in other words, you couldn't go any wider than 20mm on each side without your tyres protruding beyond the wings.
I'm now left wondering whether I've over done it and whether I'd have been better with 10mm or 15mm spacers.

The Eibach hub-centric 10's come with longer studs to replace the originals but as far as I can make out fitting these means dismantling the wheel hubs and is not a job i would feel comfortable doing.
The Eibach hub-centric 15's use the same fitting method as the 20's e.g. the spacer has it's own wheel studs fitted and the spacer is bolted onto the original hub studs. I know that Rod of this Parish had 15's fitted to his R3 but found that the spacer studs supplied by Eibach were too long for the OEM blind wheel nuts and he had to get some deeper wheel nuts to fit the wheels. From what he said it would appear that Eibach have simply used the same length wheel studs in the 15 & 20mm spacers despite the fact that the 15mm is obviously 5mm less i.e. the studs are 5mm too long - if that makes sense #-o

Anyway - in a bit of a quandry so would appreciate some opinions. Either - yes Bob, they look great and where can I get a set from =D> or no Bob, you've over done it - ditch them or get narrower spacers [-X What do you think?
Attachments
Ebay 319.jpg
Ebay 319.jpg (44.85 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
Ebay 318.jpg
Ebay 318.jpg (92.84 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
Ebay 316.jpg
Ebay 316.jpg (99.08 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
Now Gone: RB Single Tip Cat-Back Exhaust; RB Complete Big Brake Upgrade Kit; RB Lowering Spring Kit; RB Front & Rear Anti-roll Bar Kit; RB ARB Links; K&N Panel Filter; Eibach 15mm Pro-Spacers; M'z Custom Rear Under Skirts; Lockwood Grills; Various Mazda aftermarket accessories...

MARKTHOMASBRAND
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Wheel Spacers - 20mm too much?

Post by MARKTHOMASBRAND » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:05 pm

Yes Bob,they look great as does the rest of the car =D> .

Regards,Mark.
Mark's : 66 Plate 2017 Honda Civic FK2 Type R Black Edition.

Mandy's : 64 Plate 2014 Mazda MX-5 25th Anniversary,# 971,Soul Red,6 Speed Manual & LSD,17" wheels.

VelocityVinnie
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Custom

Post by VelocityVinnie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:43 pm

ype think they look great!, spacers are on my to do list.

RX8R3Rod
Club Member
Club Member

Post by RX8R3Rod » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:58 pm

Hi Bob, I reckon they look just fabulous - as does the rest of your car!
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Cusco Zero 2 coilovers & ECON, K-Sport BBK 8-pot forge 356mm front, 4-pot BBK 330 mm rear, 20" OZ Ultraleggera, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 245/30/20, Pettit exhaust, Pettit front and RB rear ARB's, Cusco strut and brake brace, Full Paintshield, Rustmaster and Rustbuster, M'Z Custom nose and rear skirts
190 Winning Blue 05-08, R3 Aurora Blue 08-10 ... fabulous friends

benedunn
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by benedunn » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:18 pm

=P~ stunning and im looking options to do the same to my car right now! .................. having seen that i think ill buy some right away :wink:
Please excuse the spelling mistakes ^^ :D

I'll second that!

rex 192 b black: red and black interior, chrome mazda alloys, full mazda aero kit (inc spoiler), Full custom painted engine and intake etc, medium street ports intake and exhaust, full toyo system front to back, all round ebc drilled and grooved disks with red stuff pads and fully adjustable meister R coilovers n do i love it :D

VelocityVinnie
Club Member
Club Member

Post by VelocityVinnie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:38 pm

would have to faf painting them though, as i have black alloys and disc hubs.

dont know which to got for on mine, as i dont have standard offset alloys, think mine are 42's??

benedunn
Club Member
Club Member

Post by benedunn » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:00 am

ive just ordered these - i also wanted black you see :wink:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170683829817? ... 1439.l2649
Please excuse the spelling mistakes ^^ :D

I'll second that!

rex 192 b black: red and black interior, chrome mazda alloys, full mazda aero kit (inc spoiler), Full custom painted engine and intake etc, medium street ports intake and exhaust, full toyo system front to back, all round ebc drilled and grooved disks with red stuff pads and fully adjustable meister R coilovers n do i love it :D

exiled-viking
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Supercharged

Post by exiled-viking » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:56 am

Nice look,s I have been running a same set up but lowered the car with tein mono flex,
180 modifications AS AT 21/05/2012/ 22 new mods for this year sorry for spelling and grammar mistakes !, supercharged, full interior trim , paint job,diamond black, metallic orange,HKS CAMP2-2 ecu,s mazda/HKS ECU F,con-IS FUEL management system,,fully bluetooth/ loads of gadgets, fully upgraded brakes,discs, suspension,exhaust,greedy oil pan,TPMS ,

if i was Britannia i would wave the rules,

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:30 pm

My wheels are 30mm offset, which is the same as the OEM wheels with 20mm spacers, and it's just what I wanted.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

shifty
Former Member
Former Member

Post by shifty » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:34 pm

You need to lower now you have the same issue I had with a 4x4 look going on looks good though.

mj2326
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by mj2326 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:25 pm

yea i've got 20mm fitted now i feel it give it a better look all flush down the sides
RB ram air duct with k&n filter, petit hi flow cat, K sport 8 pots, Ferodo DS2500 pads with Goodridge Hoses, OEM bodykit, R Magic rear wing spoiler, 35% rear tints and sunstrip, Cusco F+R strut brace, bc coilovers, petit rally clutch with cromley light weight flywheel, RB anti roll bars F + R, Koyo sport radiator, 20mm Eibach pro spacers all round, lockwood grills, axial flow short shifter.

RX8R3Rod
Club Member
Club Member

Post by RX8R3Rod » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:41 pm

Doesn't it just! =D>
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Cusco Zero 2 coilovers & ECON, K-Sport BBK 8-pot forge 356mm front, 4-pot BBK 330 mm rear, 20" OZ Ultraleggera, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 245/30/20, Pettit exhaust, Pettit front and RB rear ARB's, Cusco strut and brake brace, Full Paintshield, Rustmaster and Rustbuster, M'Z Custom nose and rear skirts

tonyG1987
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by tonyG1987 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:15 pm

wow looks great! i've been contemplating about getting these for a while now but your pics have just confirmed it. they look awesome. so is it just a bolt on then? take the wheel off slap spacer on to hub then spacer on to wheel? or do i have to take it to the garage? Im looking to get 20mm as well.

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=21958 - are these the same as the ones you have?

im a bit cautious as they are cheaper than the ones on ebay.
Rx8 R3

BobJ
Former Member
Former Member

Post by BobJ » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:55 pm

Thanks for the positive comments folks :)

Tony, no - the ones I've had fitted are 20mm per spacer widening the track width by 40mm total. They are Eibach Part No: S90-4-20-001. They are a straight forward bolt on fit with the spacers coming with their own wheel studs and nuts. In other words you simply slide the spacer onto the original hub studs, tighten up the spacer to the hob, mount the wheel on the new spacer wheel studs and tighten up using the original wheel nuts. Job done.

Having studied the Eibach site, the ones in the link you've provided are 10mm spacers (total track width 20mm) which are apparently supplied with longer wheel studs to replace the original studs. As far as I can make out this means dismantling the hub to fit the new studs which is way beyond my spannering skills :roll:
Now Gone: RB Single Tip Cat-Back Exhaust; RB Complete Big Brake Upgrade Kit; RB Lowering Spring Kit; RB Front & Rear Anti-roll Bar Kit; RB ARB Links; K&N Panel Filter; Eibach 15mm Pro-Spacers; M'z Custom Rear Under Skirts; Lockwood Grills; Various Mazda aftermarket accessories...

tonyG1987
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tonyG1987 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:27 pm

many thanks bob :) just bought 2 pairs. looking forward to fitting them now.
Rx8 R3

Mazda Rotary Parts
Forum Trader
Forum Trader

Post by Mazda Rotary Parts » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:57 pm

BobJ wrote:Thanks for the positive comments folks :)

As far as I can make out this means dismantling the hub to fit the new studs which is way beyond my spannering skills :roll:
Your right it's a big job to change rear studs on the RX-8 or the RX-FD because you have to press the hub bearing out of the upright after you have removed it from the suspension and taken out the drive shaft, front is really easy but not the back.

"If" your using 15mm spacers two things to check would be that where the old studs protrude into the recesses between the stud holes on the face of the wheel that they do not bottom out.

Also if you try and use the stock Mazda wheel nuts the stud may hit the cap up the inside of the wheel nut and not tighten correctly, however this is easily remedied by using longer wheel nuts the same as can be found on this link.

http://www.mazdarotaryparts.com/bfe-whe ... -315-c.asp

Hope this helps
REgards
Clive

http://www.mazdarotaryparts.com
http://www.racingbeateurope.com
We aim to help and assist our customers make the right choices for their Rotary, whether they be standard or modified. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us:-
sales@racingbeateurope.com or call 01474 777 800

BobJ
Former Member
Former Member

Post by BobJ » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:52 am

Clive, dumb-ass question probably but here goes - What about the locking wheel nut with the 15's or is that a deeper nut than the other standard ones? Have I just answered my own question there :oops:

Rod, How are you getting on with the 20's - I know you had 15's before but anticipated some issues with the wider tyres you've got fitted. Have you stuck with the 20's or reverted back?
You need to lower now you have the same issue I had with a 4x4 look going on looks good though.
- Shifty you're right. I couldn't quite put my finger on it but you're right. Okay - Eibach's or coilovers? Where's my credit card...... :D

RX8R3Rod
Club Member
Club Member

Post by RX8R3Rod » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:29 pm

Hi Bob,

Well after experimenting with 20mm's I have found I have some rubbing issues (on the plastic rear wheel arch liner, or some part of it, I think - thanks for the insight on this Clive) when I have a rear-seat passenger, so I'm going back to 15mm's.

However, I think I might be somewhat atypical in this, since my car is lowered by rather more than the standard Mazda lowering springs, I have the BBK kit and I'm running the Bridgestone Scuderia RE050's (245/35/19) which have a noticeably 'squarer' sidewall when viewed from the front compared to the stock Bridgestone RE050's on the stock 19" alloys. I believe the rear wheel arch liner is a little bit different to the S1 too, presumably to help address the rusty-rear-arch problem, and I suspect that may make rubbing a bit more likely with my set-up.

I think if just any one of these was different I wouldn't have the problem at all.

And I know it works just fine with the 15mm's, so I'm going back to those. Trouble is, I can't remember about the locking wheel nut, but I'm thinking it must have worked ok as I don't remember it being an issue. Then again, I did wonder about all those bricks under my car one morning ...
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010

BobJ
Former Member
Former Member

Post by BobJ » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Despite the positive comments (thank you :oops: ) I decided that the Eibach 20mm pro-spacers were indeed too much and went for their 15mm ones. They are exactly the same as the 20's in terms of wheel mounting method except they are err... 5mm narrower #-o

Anyway, before I had them fitted I decided that the bare alluminium 'rim' stood out too much against the satin black of the discs that came with the Racing Brake BBK and the anthracite wheels of the R3. So I took them to my local body shop who said that I would be better off having them powder coated. The went to a small local powder coating company who said they would charge me about £200 for the job :shock:

So I resorted to a rattle can of Hammerite smooth in satin black. Having applied the recommended Hammerite primer and then spending ages carefully masking off the faces of the spacers I was quite pleased with the results. Hopefully the Hammerite will be a little more durable.....

I'm even more pleased with the overall effect on the car. I know it's only 5mm less per wheel but to my eye it looks a bit more restrained whilst still filling the arches nicely. It'll look even better when I get round to having some lower springs fitted.

Some barely used Eibach 20mm Pro-Spacers coming to an Ebay site near you soon....
Attachments
Ebay 326.jpg
Ebay 326.jpg (64.89 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Ebay 328.jpg
Ebay 328.jpg (91.37 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
Ebay 329.jpg
Ebay 329.jpg (85.87 KiB) Viewed 1325 times

RX8R3Rod
Club Member
Club Member

Post by RX8R3Rod » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:27 pm

Hi Bob, seriously - looks great! :D

And I shall soon be investing in a tin of black hammerite, too. Just waiting for my other pair of 15mm's to arrive so I can join you in the most honourable 15mm-spacer club.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing the effect of the springs ...
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010

tonyG1987
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tonyG1987 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:17 pm

bob why did you not keep the 20? was it because of the rubbing? did it stick out too much? anyway im interested in buying your one pm me with a price.

btw your car looks stunning! even more with the mods- its looking flush with the wheel arches now and bet it will be even more hella flush when lowered.
Rx8 R3

BobJ
Former Member
Former Member

Post by BobJ » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:41 pm

tonyG1987 wrote:bob why did you not keep the 20? was it because of the rubbing? did it stick out too much?
Tony - no issues at all with rubbing or the wheels sticking out too far. With the 20's fitted if you looked down vertically onto the wheel arches you couldn't see the tyre walls at all front or rear. No - it was for purely aesthetic reasons which is why I posed the orginal question as to whether 20's were too much. I've had the conversation with Rod about this and I've come to the conclusion that the convex nature of the side walls of the OE Bridgestone tyres probably didn't help with the overall effect in my eyes. It's purely a personal thing. Most people will be more than chuffed with 20's.

BobJ
Former Member
Former Member

Post by BobJ » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:58 pm

RX8R3Rod wrote:Hi Bob, seriously - looks great! :D

I'm very much looking forward to seeing the effect of the springs ...
Thanks Rod. Ordered the Racing Beat Springs and roll bar kit from MRP this morning. I'll get some photo's posted when they're on. And then that's it - mods completed...... :^o

clive59
Former Member
Former Member

Post by clive59 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi Bob,
Car looks great! Which body kit have you fitted?
Cheers,
Clive

clive59
Former Member
Former Member

Post by clive59 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:09 pm

Ignore the last post Bob! It's an R3!!! Doh! That'll be my next motor when I upgrade then.

Return to “Aftermarket”