Brake hose upgrade - convince me!

Details of any aftermarket goods for the RX8.
Remember that this may invalidate the warranty. - The club takes no responsibility at all for any aftermarket additions to the car.
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Sparkling Black

Brake hose upgrade - convince me!

Post by Phil Bate »

After burning through my redstuff pads surprisingly quickly I have new plain discs and M1144s all-round on the way, plus a set of caliper refurb kits for a full on brake refresh.

Of course this has led me to consider changing the brake hoses for aftermarket Teflon/stainless items, but being a sceptic at heart I wonder if they are actually worth it.

Can anyone vouch for them either way - do they give a more solid feel or are the standard hoses already good? Were you disappointed at any lack of improvement? I understand this could be tricky as they are usually installed along with other brake components and so the effect not necessarily accountable, but any feedback (from direct experience) would be greatly appreciated.

I already know what set I would use if I decide to go down the route so please let's avoid a 'these ones are better than those ones' discussion.

Cheers
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
Operation Mint - Kuro preservation project
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar
TheManc
Former Member
Former Member

Re: Brake hose upgrade - convince me!

Post by TheManc »

i've had them on a few cars and i didn't really notice any difference , just nice to have IMO
AdamGaltress
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red

Post by AdamGaltress »

My understanding is that you only get the benefit after the brake fluid has gotten quite hot, as in this state it makes the standard lines softer and gives a squishy feel. The stainless steel obviously won't get softer at those temperatures and doesn't go squishy
AdamGaltress
Events Team & Comms Team

JDM RX-7 FD - Project Thread
Bridgeport Copper Red MazdaSpeed Evolve - Project Thread
- Parted out
Murf
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Murf »

I swapped to stainless lines I imported from Racing Brake US. Fitted them along with doing a flush with ATE Super Racing Blue and also the Cusco brave with master cylinder support.

Immediately the brake feel was incredible compared to before. Honestly don't know which of the 3 items it was down to, or a combination of old fluid squishy hoses and a flexing firewall..... I was happy with what I spent on upgrading (and it was a fun job) but I don't have any objective proof that it was the hoses. They sure are shiny though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
231 Sunlight Silver
Project Thread!
PDB
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by PDB »

For the relatively small outlay of around £60, it's a no brainer, any rubber that's been exposed to the elements and internally heated lots of times will perish.

Fit and forget, and enjoy the confident pedal :)
BMW 330 Clubsport owner...... sorry to the rotary lovers
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

The theory is that if the stock hoses are old they are soggy and expand and contract more than they should, re-inforced teflon lined hoses do not so again in theory hydraulic pressure should remain higher thus firmer pedal that shouldn`t deteriorate.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate »

Yeah I have read the often dramatized theory behind it - the rubber hoses bulging with wasted force every time you apply the pedal. However this is always from companies that sell uprated hoses. The standard ones will have some form of internal braiding already and I wonder how much they do really expand and detract from the pedal feel
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
jrmurray1108
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by jrmurray1108 »

Murf wrote:They sure are shiny though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is enough for me :D

On a more serious note I have had them in bikes and it is definitely noticeable through the levers, so the theory is at least correct, can't speak for cars though
Jay

Gone but not forgotten - Nordic Green bridgey of awesomeness - http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=61154

Now rocking a 93 FD3S and a SN95 Mustang Cobra :D
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

I think the cars actual brake set up governs the result - with remote servo`s and brake bars, even some panel flexing where a direct acting servo is sited can affect the pedal action - I only ever used Goodridge hoses once on my RS Turbo and that did noticeably firm up the pedal but I also had converted the brakes to Cossie discs & pads.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
Nerdstrike
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Nerdstrike »

Do it. I immediately loved my brakes when I made the change. The main advantage I felt was in modulating brake pressure in the middle region between full lock/ABS and moderate braking. It gave me much more confidence piling on the brakes on track. More vibration and such carries back through to your foot, so I can see why they don't do it for normal cars. It might be too honest for the typical driver. The converse was that it made it a bit harder to heel toe when not deploying all the anchors as the pedal didn't seem to sink quite as far.

Disclosure: The hoses went on with a fluid refresh, but no change in pads.

In contrast, my GT86 brakes are not quite so crystal clear and those hoses are a year old. It's on my possible upgrades list.
Liam22
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Liam22 »

Phil, it is beholden on you to do a fluid change and then hose change for a true before/after test. You know you want to!

FWIW, my other car came with Goodridge hoses as standard fitment which surprised me.
duckula67
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by duckula67 »

I changed mine and did the clutch line at the same time.
Noticed a difference right away. More solid feel.
Mods:Black wheels.Start button.AEM CAI.D585Coils.EBC ultimax discs.Yellowstuff pads.Racing fluid.Stainless brake&clutch lines,Stainless vents.Cobra Catback.Bonnet struts.Auxmod.Custom Gauge pod.Eibachs&Fast road setup.Shortshift.Sohn adapter.Comp clutch&Flywheel.N/plate offset.Red calipers.Leather Gaiter.LEDs in&out.Smoke LED rear lights.LED 3rd brake.
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate »

I found the attached PDF which appears to be an internal test report from Goodridge comparing stainless/Teflon and rubber hoses. Unfortunately it came from some form of [urlw=http://www.gotyournose.com/goodridge/fr ... rubber.pdf]marketing company/website developer's site[/urlw] and not the actual Goodridge site. There is always the possibility it was created as a mock-up however it bears the Head of Engineering's name and the data is at least plausible. It may have been submitted as an example as part of a design contract, nonetheless it makes for interesting reading.

Anyway thanks for the replies, the curiosity was too much to bear so I have bought a set :) (not goodridge)
Attachments
Goodridge_stainless_v_rubber.pdf
(150.45 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Paddy2691
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Paddy2691 »

I felt a difference when fitting mine, this was on their own as I'd already upgraded all the brakes and refurbed the calipers the week before. After a good half hour B road hoot the pedal never softened and was lovely and solid. Also I got the, in red and they look great lol.
07 Sunlight Silver 231- LC Rotary Rebuild & Street port, Team Dynamics 1.2 wheels, Exedy Clutch, Lightened flywheel, Cobra Catback, Tein Street Basis Coilovers, Whiteline adjustable ARB's, 15mm spacers, Gauges, Aero kit, EBC discs & Red Stuff pads, Braided clutch & brake lines, K&N Panel filter, Vred. Ultrac Sessanta 235/40. 8)
maniclamb
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ

Post by maniclamb »

Apologies for rekindling an old thread, but I'm pondering doing the exact same thing... Firstly I'm going to replace my Discs and Pads; Discs will likely be OEM Spec from ECP, and currently looking at getting the Mintex FR Pads (they have replaced the 1144's according to Merlin Motorsport). Finally I'm thinking of swapping to braided hoses - something like https://www.goodridge.co.uk/products/ca ... -2003-2012 .

I'm hoping to sharpen up the braking experience on my RX-8 without going too wild with an upgrade. Anybody got any experience with the above, or recommend a good Disc to go with? Thanks :)
thatturborx8
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
RX-8: R3

Post by thatturborx8 »

I recommend the brake hoses from HEL.
They are a great fit and you can choose any colour if it matters to you.
We have fitted at least 10 sets and never had an issue.
The beauty of the teflon brake hose is that you will get sharper braking when the fluid gets really hot and you are hard on the brakes as the oem ones tend to expand.
Also i have many times seen oem hoses to coolapse from the inside causing the caliper to stick closed.
Brake disks and pads i would recommend the EBC disks with the EBC bluestuff pads.
I think club members have a discount on them as well.
ECP disks,even Brembos,never mind Eicher or Padgid will get warped after two track sessions.
These users thanked the author thatturborx8 for the post:
maniclamb (Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:45 pm)
Cheesecake :P
Danielle-Loading....
maniclamb
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ

Post by maniclamb »

Thank you thatturborx8
Brake disks and pads i would recommend the EBC disks with the EBC bluestuff pads.
I'd not considered these. Are these suitable for everyday/fast-road setup? Unlikely to track too much, but just want confident and sharp braking performance.
thatturborx8
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
RX-8: R3

Post by thatturborx8 »

Yes,i am very happy with them
These users thanked the author thatturborx8 for the post:
maniclamb (Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:58 pm)
Cheesecake :P
Danielle-Loading....