Royal Steering Wheels alternative?

Details of any aftermarket goods for the RX8.
Remember that this may invalidate the warranty. - The club takes no responsibility at all for any aftermarket additions to the car.
LeeW
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Sparkling Black

Royal Steering Wheels alternative?

Post by LeeW »

Had a slightly strange reply from RSW regarding the ATR momo wheel that I requested to be retrimmed. They politely declined.

Saying that they are unable to retrim the momo wheel as the foam can come apart when removing the leather, its a common problem and it took too much time last time and pushed them behind with other orders....

On one hand it seems that they are extremely busy and they're now being selective over what jobs they take. But on the other hand, they retrim wheels, its what they do, they're known to be one of the best. Surely they should be able to do it, charge more, make the client wait longer, a multitude of work arounds... get more staff? I dunno.... It seems weird to say they can't do it.... anyway...

Any recommendations for other firms to try so see if anyone would like the business?
07' Kuro
RRP Single Res midpipe w/ Pettit/Milltek cat-back, RRP MK2 Coils and leads, AEM CAI, RRP Custom Map, RSW Custom Steering Wheel.

RX8 Story (slow progress): viewtopic.php?f=104&t=78506
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: Royal Steering Wheels alternative?

Post by warpc0il »

I seem to recall that there were a lot of fake Momo steering wheels being sold and this caused an issue for anyone trying to retrim.

Maybe they'd rather not deal with any "Momo" branded wheels, just in case...
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
LeeW
Club Member
Club Member

Post by LeeW »

Maybe
07' Kuro
RRP Single Res midpipe w/ Pettit/Milltek cat-back, RRP MK2 Coils and leads, AEM CAI, RRP Custom Map, RSW Custom Steering Wheel.

Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Ranjan »

Yes, this is all because of the glut of fake Momo wheels that once dismantled fell apart because of cheap materials and thin metal spokes; everyone avoids dealing with these, causes too many problems to deal with.

Ranjan.
These users thanked the author Ranjan for the post:
LeeW (Tue May 18, 2021 6:32 pm)
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

I know of an automotive upholsterer in Exeter who might do that kind of thing? Can enquire with them if you want, although I think their focus is seats.
These users thanked the author Dr. FrankenRex for the post:
LeeW (Wed May 19, 2021 7:39 pm)
Doc - Club Information Coordinator - Media Team

FrankenRex2 - RR Full Bridge with Race Extension porting, shiny big brakes and lots more besides :D

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
LeeW
Club Member
Club Member

Post by LeeW »

Cheers, I might just spam the other top hits on google if no ones got any direct recommendations and see what they have to say….

Still a peculiar situation….!
07' Kuro

LeeW
Club Member
Club Member

Post by LeeW »

Decided to give Edge Automotive a try who aren't far from Rugby. Got a price of £250 to do the Honda wheel, so will see what the quality is like and report back. Bit more expensive than I wanted it to be but don't have too much choice.

Could be useful for is RSW start turning down RX8 wheels next....
These users thanked the author LeeW for the post:
New Duke (Wed May 26, 2021 12:43 pm)
07' Kuro

Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

How did you get on Lee? Be interesting to see what Edge Automotive's work is like as I'd love to see some alternatives :thumleft:
Doc - Club Information Coordinator - Media Team

FrankenRex2 - RR Full Bridge with Race Extension porting, shiny big brakes and lots more besides :D

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
DrewR3
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Crystal White

Post by DrewR3 »

Ive been talking with BNeurope ltd who do alot of jap/Subaru parts and retrim. They are based in birmingham not far from my work. Been very polite in my questions about my rx8 wheel being plumped and trimed in Alcantara with a centre line. Thinking of using them, found them on Ebay at

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMPRE ... 635-2958-0

Was going to enquire next bout member discount or group buy etc
Daily - 2012 Mercedes E220 Coupe AMG sport, Deep Blue, 19 inch AMG alloys with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, AMG BBK with drilled discs, TDI Tune box, De-Chrome Show 2010 RX8 R3, Crystal white, 23k miles, Full Mazda Service History, Borla Exhaust
Sadly Gone - 2006 '56' Rx8 Pz Prodrive edition, Galaxy Grey
LeeW
Club Member
Club Member

Post by LeeW »

Dr. FrankenRex wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:07 am
How did you get on Lee? Be interesting to see what Edge Automotive's work is like as I'd love to see some alternatives :thumleft:
Sorry forgot to update!

Little footnote to the experience. At the same time as enquiring with Edge i also emailed Control Customs, who had just done a Accord Type R wheel that id seen for sale on eBay. He emailed back saying that they didn't work on these wheels anymore. I thanked him for the reply but asked why and he called me back and we had a long conversation about it. This was a while ago now and I can't actually remember the details but they are very time consuming compared to others hard to get perfect, so aren't worth the risk at taking them on.

So when I went with Edge who made no comments about risks or problems, I assumed it was through naivety and was fully expecting a call half way through the retrim with problems that had arisen.

No such phone call arrived and the wheel was very nicely retrimmed in the time frame discussed for fee of £246 delivered.
IMG_0044 2.jpeg
IMG_0045 2.jpeg
IMG_0049.jpeg
These users thanked the author LeeW for the post:
Torque23 (Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:07 pm)
07' Kuro

RX8R3Rod
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Custom
Has thanked: 0

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Looks fabulous! Lovely finishing.
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Tein Monosport EDFC Active coilovers, K-Sport BBK 8-pot forge 356mm front, 4-pot BBK 330 mm rear, 20" ATS Racelight, Michelin PS 4 245/30/20, Pettit exhaust, Pettit front and RB rear ARB's, Cusco strut and brake brace, Full Paintshieldx2, Rustmasterx2, and Rustbusterx2, M'Z Custom nose and rear skirts
190 Winning Blue 05-08, R3 Aurora Blue 08-10 ... fabulous friends
Leck3000
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Leck3000 »

I got myself a new Autoexe one instead of getting mine redone. I did get the limited carbon one because, well carbon :inlove:

They do still do the normal ones which are essentially the same as what I believe most people get done by Royal and for not much more, and you still have the OEM wheel as a spare or to sell.

https://shop.mazmart.com/en/steering-wheel-2

*edit* just reminded myself of the actual purpose of this thread and now realise my information is not answering the question from the OP but will leave it here for the purpose of others looking for retrim options.
Last edited by Leck3000 on Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RX8R3Rod
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Custom
Has thanked: 0

Post by RX8R3Rod »

V v nice indeed! :thumleft:
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Tein Monosport EDFC Active coilovers, K-Sport BBK 8-pot forge 356mm front, 4-pot BBK 330 mm rear, 20" ATS Racelight, Michelin PS 4 245/30/20, Pettit exhaust, Pettit front and RB rear ARB's, Cusco strut and brake brace, Full Paintshieldx2, Rustmasterx2, and Rustbusterx2, M'Z Custom nose and rear skirts
190 Winning Blue 05-08, R3 Aurora Blue 08-10 ... fabulous friends
DrewR3
Club Member
Club Member

Post by DrewR3 »

Leck3000 wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:20 pm
I got myself a new Autoexe one instead of getting mine redone. I did get the limited carbon one because, well carbon :inlove:

They do still do the normal ones which are essentially the same as what I believe most people get done by Royal and for not much more, and you still have the OEM wheel as a spare or to sell.

*edit* just reminded myself of the actual purpose of this thread and now realise my information is not answering the question from the OP but will leave it here for the purpose of others looking for retrim options.
#-o Wish you had put this up before i bought another steering wheel and trying to find someone to re finish it 😂 Harry, do you wanna buy your steering wheel back.....
Daily - 2012 Mercedes E220 Coupe AMG sport, Deep Blue, 19 inch AMG alloys with Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, AMG BBK with drilled discs, TDI Tune box, De-Chrome Show 2010 RX8 R3, Crystal white, 23k miles, Full Mazda Service History, Borla Exhaust
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member

Post by New Duke »

Leck3000 wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:20 pm

But the shipping! :shock:
Leck3000
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Leck3000 »

DrewR3 wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:12 pm
#-o Wish you had put this up before i bought another steering wheel and trying to find someone to re finish it 😂 Harry, do you wanna buy your steering wheel back.....
Yeah sorry about that, there is always ebay.

Yeah shipping could be an issue, may be better to source from AutoExe in Japan. I get shipments from America all the time so mine just slipped in along with my RB header :whistle:
DrewR3
Club Member
Club Member

Post by DrewR3 »

Leck3000 wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:31 pm
DrewR3 wrote:

Yeah shipping could be an issue, may be better to source from AutoExe in Japan. I get shipments from America all the time so mine just slipped in along with my RB header :whistle:
You mean i can buy more and things just appear with them. Import from america is cheaper than japan isnt it? Eye watering prices from japan.
Leck3000
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Leck3000 »

DrewR3 wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:38 pm
Leck3000 wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:31 pm
DrewR3 wrote:

You mean i can buy more and things just appear with them. Import from america is cheaper than japan isnt it? Eye watering prices from japan.
Yeah generally speaking but depends if the American price is hiked by their need to import. Worth a comparison anyway.

Return to “Aftermarket”