JDM Combe 2019
Saturday 1st June | Castle Combe

Club stand display | Exclusive Club track session | The ever popular drift team displays | Pro driver passenger rides & more

£15 per car (Admits the driver and up to 3 Passengers) | Under 17's go FREE! And do not need a ticket.

Nexus 7, Wifi Reversing camera and other questions

Details of any aftermarket goods for the RX8.
Remember that this may invalidate the warranty. - The club takes no responsibility at all for any aftermarket additions to the car.
bigpete8
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Nexus 7, Wifi Reversing camera and other questions

Post by bigpete8 » Fri May 04, 2018 1:05 pm

I'm thinking about replacing the Sat Nav in my RX8 with an old Nexus 7 I have lying around (I'm aware of lengthy threads on installation).
I'd probably use the Torque app to connect to Car Ecu etc but was wondering about a few other things:

1) Has anybody used the pogo pins for charging rather than the usb port? Thinking this would leave that open to connect some external storage.
2) Has anyone tried a Wifi reversing camera (either with or without the nexus 7) as this seems a better option than having to run cabling throughout car.
3) As a follow on point to above, has anyone looked at the cabling from the DVD rom in the back to the sat nav - I was thinking could remove the DVD replacing with Hard disk (SSD probably best to cope with vibration) and was hoping to splice into that cable to convert to USB (and micro usb at Nexus end).
Presumably it looks like an old PC connection - IDE (similar to below)
4) Has anybody done anything else interesting? - Trying to justify the effort involved as my spare time is almost always limited!
cdrw_mount_back.jpg
cdrw_mount_back.jpg (12.93 KiB) Viewed 565 times
Sunlight Silver 231
Trying run on a budget to keep the noise level down - from the missus!

bigpete8
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Nexus 7, Wifi Reversing camera and other questions

Post by bigpete8 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:08 pm

No answers or suggestions?
Sunlight Silver 231

Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 192

Post by Shagrington » Sat May 05, 2018 2:08 am

Sorry, nothing from me ... you lost me at 'pogo pins' if I'm being honest. :scratch: :oops:
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes

Lemon
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Lemon » Sat May 05, 2018 8:44 am

i don't think the pogo pins will provide a secure enough connection tbh.
Thanks, Stu

TomJ
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Stormy Blue

Post by TomJ » Sat May 05, 2018 9:06 am

I had a Nexus from a member, where it had been modified to relocate the usb charging point. Essentially, the port and ribbon had been shifted to the rear (back) of the tablet. I’d have thought the tablet could possibly be opened, and a new soldered connection taken off the pogo pin connector internally to a suitable point and connection?

bigpete8
Club Member
Club Member

Post by bigpete8 » Sat May 05, 2018 12:32 pm

Was going to solder to pogo pin or internally like you say.
Have seen mixed reports of whether an otg will work when connected to pogo. Some say only rooted some saying stock works. Guess I'll have to suck it and see.
Here's the pogo pins for those that don't know...
download.jpeg
download.jpeg (4.83 KiB) Viewed 467 times
These users thanked the author bigpete8 for the post:
Shagrington (Sat May 05, 2018 3:09 pm)
Sunlight Silver 231

joney
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by joney » Sat May 05, 2018 6:43 pm

Been doin research on this for a long time
Your best to use the standard charge port in usb otg mode. I use a custom firmware to allow charging and otg at the same time. Stock firmware will only do one or the other
I'm not to sure on wifi cams as auto switching to it in reverse was a little more work then going the cabled route. I have a cabled cam that powers on from the reverse lights then an app picks up the fact there's now input and switchs over.
I don't have stock wiring so no idea but I use a usb stick that does the job as you can get some very large once for not much
Anything else kind of I used an arduino to added audio control buttons

I did start writing a guide but never finished it. If you need any ideas I can pull my finger out and finish it
If its not broke I'm sure I can find a reason to take it apart :thumright:
Things Done: Nexus Mod, Led Lights, D969 Coils, cobra exhaust, moded ash tray to gauge pod, Toyo Decat, cruise control mod with mazda 6 steering wheel and Lots of Cleaning
To Do: ?
Want:Ms kit

bigpete8
Club Member
Club Member

Post by bigpete8 » Sun May 06, 2018 8:33 am

Which rom did you end up using? And what does it run like?
Some body did think the slowdown was down to one of the Google services that only updates a few days after resetting. Bookmarked it I think to try out.... 🤔
Sunlight Silver 231

Syracuse
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black
Has thanked: 0

Post by Syracuse » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:26 am

I had done a lot of stuff around this, you could have a look here http://www.rx8france.com/forum/viewtopi ... 19&t=30105
And ask google to translate it in french.
These users thanked the author Syracuse for the post:
bigpete8 (Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:47 am)

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:17 pm

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

Artermis
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Artermis » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:08 am

Did my Nexus build over the weekend... I used the Gen 2 (commonly referred to as the 2013) which doesn't have the pogo pins. I used at OTG (on-the-go) Y cable to allow for USB charging plus the addition a USB mass storage device. My intention is to fit a panel mount USB port either in the cigar lighter or cup holder for USB memory stick to hold music. I don't see why I'd want something as large as a HDD in there when you can buy large sticks these days.

Nexus doesn't allow OTG USB use as factory, so you need a custom Rom in order to allow the functionality, which are easily enough available, i've kept a copy of the one I used, just to be sure.

The 2013 tablet allows for wireless charging, so another possible solution.

I re-arranged the circuit boards in my unit to make room for the cabling. In stock form you're going to struggle to get the headphone jack and USB cables in either end of the tablet and fit it in the housing. I switched mine around and fits easily.

Again you could get around this by using bluetooth and a BT receiver on your headunit and then you could use wireless charging and BT and have no physical connections at all to your tablet - although that doesn't give you USB mass storage that you're after.

Here is my tablet after I re-arranged it...

Tablet rearranged.jpg
Tablet rearranged.jpg (302.68 KiB) Viewed 89 times

The battery, centrally mounted as factory, is picked up, re-orientated and moved down one end of the device. The bottom board (USB port) is picked up and inverted so the USB port points inwards, making loads of room for the cable to connect. You can't move this board far as it has the ribbon connection to the screen, which is quite short, but it inverts with ease. The upper board (headphone jack) has 3 connections on it, 2 ribbons to the lower board and the battery plug, Since we already moved the battery that board is free to go pretty much where ever you wish, I moved mine across and inverted it again - to make the headphone jack point inwards - for ease. The bottom (USB) board is screwed down, the battery is secured with sticky pads and the upper board a bit of black tape holds it down. Some black tape secures the wires to stop them rattling or getting caught in the motor mech too.

Tablet fitting.jpg
Tablet fitting.jpg (381.44 KiB) Viewed 89 times

It's not pretty with the black tape as I shuffled stuff a little bit whilst I got it all worked out but then nobody is going to see it and it won't move or rattle on you.

Artermis
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Artermis » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:11 am

OH and I forgot to mention... I tried to hot glue the tablet in place... hot glue stuck to the housing like you wouldn't believe but it wouldn't stick to the tablet glass and would pop off under a little pressure. I therefore wrapped the ends of the tablet in black tape (sticks like sh1t to a blanket), then applied hot glue to the taped region and stuck it on. You'll need a crowbar to get it off now!

Return to “Aftermarket”