Suggestions for Racing Brake Big Brake Kit pads for track?

Details of any aftermarket goods for the RX8.
Remember that this may invalidate the warranty. - The club takes no responsibility at all for any aftermarket additions to the car.
stever
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Suggestions for Racing Brake Big Brake Kit pads for track?

Post by stever » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:57 am

I've got currently got Ferodo and Hawk pads for track days with my 4 pot front and standard rear caliper Racing Brake kit on my R3, but they're badly in need of replacing prior to the annual club event track day.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good replacements and where to get them from? Essex Rotary have the project Mu HC800s listed, which are a lot cheaper than what I've paid before for Hawks, but they're not ones I've used before.
Titanium Grey 231ps 23/12/03 to 20/10/13
Velocity Red R3 20/10/13+
Racing Beat springs, anti-roll bars and exhaust. Eibach spacers. RB Big Brake Kit, K&N filter. D585 coils & Magnecor Leads. Sports mirrors. B-pillar trim. Scuff plates. Interior LEDs. Bonnet stays. Ultra light fly wheel. Axial Flow short throw shifter
The other car: Tesla Model X P100D 19/12/17+

SeriousSam
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 231

Re: Suggestions for Racing Brake Big Brake Kit pads for track?

Post by SeriousSam » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:58 am

If you can find out what the Mintex pad part code is, I know a company that can order up M1144 pads in small batches. They sorted me out for the Jag, and whilst they don't do the M1144 as a standard option, they have the right pad in different compounds. All I had to do was pair the pad code with the compound code and they made them up. Only problem is the lead time - if there's no stock, it's 6 weeks.

I'm guessing the Racing Brake kit uses different pads to stock? If not, I have a set of stock M1144 front pads, brand new in box, you're welcome to buy those off me.
To Do List: HKS CAMP2 install; cruise control; new exhaust; detail paintwork, possible respray

Done: Hayward Rotary rebuild and stage 2 port; Racing Beat ARBs, adjustable front droplinks, ram air intake and lightened flywheel; Exedy stage 1 clutch; Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs; Koyo radiator; heated front screen; EBC redstuff pads all round

stever
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by stever » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:50 am

Cheers - good suggestion, but I'm not sure how I'd go about finding the Mintex equivalent, or even if they do one. There are quite a few of us with the same brake kit and there are compatible brands out there. It's just that the ones that I've used before don't seem to be available nowadays and the stockists I'd normally use don't seem to be listing anything compatible at the moment.

The front calipers on the Racing Brake Kit are a quite different fit to the stock fronts - they have plates on the back that bolts run through to hold them into the calipers. This is what the Mu version looks like:

Racing Beat springs, anti-roll bars and exhaust. Eibach spacers. RB Big Brake Kit, K&N filter. D585 coils & Magnecor Leads. Sports mirrors. B-pillar trim. Scuff plates. Interior LEDs. Bonnet stays. Ultra light fly wheel. Axial Flow short throw shifter

Harrizone
Founder Member
Founder Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Harrizone » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:04 am

H Steve,

Project Mu ideal, have used them at track days and on the road both front and rear. Just apply them a couple of times initially to get a bit of heat in them before attempting an emergency stop.
Fully bridged engine by ER, & Revi air scoop Full Mazdaspeed kit, bull bars & rear fog, short shifter, Dotz wheels, Falken FK452 225/45/18 (road) Federal 595 RS-R 235/40/18 (track) Racing Brake 4-pot front calipers ET500 pads (road), XT960 pads (track), RB header, cat & Catback & ARB's & adjustable drop links F&R, Tein Flex coilovers, BHR& leads, K&N filter.

SeriousSam
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by SeriousSam » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:45 am

Hmm, tricky one that. As a Racing Brake dealer, you may find Clive has some insight on this one. Alternatively if you have an old pair of pads available, you could always take some measurements and pictures and see if any manufacturers could make you a custom set. I'm trying to think of which other members used these brakes and could point you the right way - Ray and will66 definitely had them, and I'm relatively sure Clive races his RX-8 with these up front as well.
To Do List: HKS CAMP2 install; cruise control; new exhaust; detail paintwork, possible respray

Done: Hayward Rotary rebuild and stage 2 port; Racing Beat ARBs, adjustable front droplinks, ram air intake and lightened flywheel; Exedy stage 1 clutch; Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs; Koyo radiator; heated front screen; EBC redstuff pads all round

stever
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by stever » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:01 pm

Thanks both - it sounds like the Mu's will be the easiest option from what Ray's said, but I'll drop Clive a note to see if he's got any other input; he'd have previously said Hawks I'm sure, but he isn't listing any at the moment on his site.

PeteH
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:43 pm

The pad type you need is a D647. A web search will pull up lots of options.

Check out this web site for some of the options:
https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/inde ... =7426_7429

Racing Brake also do their own line of pads, in three "flavours":
http://www.racingbrake.com/Aluminum-Cal ... 023-pu.htm
RX-8 in Time Attack 2016 (2nd in class) & 2017 (Championship Winner)
http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=69554

SeriousSam
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by SeriousSam » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:51 pm

Looks like Mintex do a version of that pad shape as well, so if you wanted M1144 or M1155 then you could get some of these made up by TMS Motorsport. Tim sorted mine out for the Jag, he'll help if he can.

https://www.tmsmotorsport.co.uk/mintex- ... ption=true

stever
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by stever » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:33 am

Thanks again both - that gives me plenty of options, so I'm sure I'll be able to get something sorted. Cheers

Return to “Aftermarket”