Just bringing this thread up-to-date...
First some context
Our home is huge and "The West Wing" is unheated, as are the outbuildings.
My '68 Alfa and '04 RX-8 sit in a garage that's a converted stable, with a straight on-the-dirt concrete floor and no dpc in the walls.
Damp is therefore a serious problem for us, not helped by the weather in Northern Ireland and the sea being only 200 yards away
Our first batch of desiccant dehumidifiers were so effective, much better than the old compressor versions, and despite the issues with disc motors, that we decided to buy same more.
The original Amcor product was no longer available so we bought three Devola Fast Dry 8L
https://www.airconcentre.co.uk/products ... ier-dvfd8l
taking advantage of a 10% discount code plus another 2% for buying 3 off.
These proved to be better than the Amcor in that they were even quieter, just the "fan" sound, and just as effective.
Well, two of the three were good but one kept stopping with the alarm light lit.
The alarm indicates an internal fault, usually overheating, and resets when the power is removed.
When we went round to check the dehumidifiers, emptying the tanks on those without remote drainage, this one unit would be sitting silent with only half a tank of water and the alarm lit on
The supplier - AirConCentre (part of the LoveShopping group) - was very helpful and arranged to have the faulty unit collected.
Within a few days we had a new replacement
Within a week the replacement started exactly the same behaviour, so we wondered if it was a problem with the airflow in the location or the electricity supply to the socket.
Anyway, we swapped units around and the same (new) one had the same problem, in a different building.
Repeat the process with AirConCentre and we get another new replacement.
We checked the production batch on the label and the replacement was from the same batch as all the others; including the original two that were still happy and the first failure and it's replacement.
A month later and the second replacement is also playing silly buggers.
Back on the phone to AirConCentre and they're happy to swap yet again but they've checked their stock and all of that model are from the same batch.
They offer to upgrade us to the Meaco brand product for just the difference in retail price, in the hope that this will resolve the problem permanently. In the end they do better than that as they also apply a Customer Services discount code and free NI shipping on the new order, to ensure that we're not out-of-pocket.
God know how much all this cost them.
Anyway the replacement Meaco arrives via DPD and there a slight crump in the corner of the box.
I take a quick look inside before signing for the delivery and all appears fine.
Take the new unit out of the packaging and find that the water tank has got a big crack across the front
Back on the phone to AirConCentre and they suggest running the unit, with the drain into a bucket, to confirm if everything else is working, while they check to see if they've got a spare tank in stock.
It all worked and the replacement tank arrived next day.
It's been nearly a week now and the new unit is happily running, still into a 20L external tank so it can go for days without emptying.
So, this is the new unit we have https://www.airconcentre.co.uk/products ... dd8ljunior
and I'm happy to recommend. There's also a discount code NET1819
for 5% until 20th August (though it might still be worth trying after that date).
You may think that a dehumidifier is unnecessary in warm weather but you only have to check under the car after a run to see how much excess water the a/c is pulling from the air. Also consider that rusting is much more aggressive in warm conditions than in the cold.