DIY: Fit a Nexus 7 tablet into your RX8

Area for car DIY ideas and how-to's - NOT questions.
Fitting strakes, taking the bumper off, or changing exhaust...
rickp
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Re: DIY: Fit a Nexus 7 tablet into your RX8

Post by rickp »

WaferShaf wrote:The centre hole is for a toggle switch for manual camera selection, but that's out in the car!
So which ones the ejector seat then Shaf?
:D :thumright:
Dave2112
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Custom

Post by Dave2112 »

I am just embarking on doing my nexus install :shock: hope I don't **** it up!!!
Kamikaze
Too many to list.
joney
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by joney »

Nice what are the other switches for ( ejector seat)
If its not broke I'm sure I can find a reason to take it apart :thumright:
Things Done: Nexus Mod, Led Lights, D969 Coils, cobra exhaust, moded ash tray to gauge pod, Toyo Decat, cruise control mod with mazda 6 steering wheel and Lots of Cleaning
To Do: ?
Want:Ms kit
WaferShaf
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by WaferShaf »

Dave2112 wrote:I am just embarking on doing my nexus install :shock: hope I don't **** it up!!!
you'll be fine following the thread.. just always check your measurements before you cut anything vital!! :thumleft:
- Shaf - :mrgreen:

RX-8 PZ ProDrive Edition [008/800] (lowered 15mm, Bilstein dampers, Eibach springs), 2006 Galaxy Grey
Completed: D585-R CoilsNGK Iridium plugs & Magnecor leadsN3R3 starterSohn adapterCruise controlCalliper refurbBonnet liftersClimair deflectorsCabin LEDs2Din Metra kit
To do/Wish List: ●Mini map●20mm spacers F&R●Discs●DVR F&R●Body kit●Respray??
WaferShaf
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by WaferShaf »

hehe.. no lads, the ejector seat button is in the top of the gear stick ;)

-the 3 little buttons are vol up/pwr/vol down for the nexus
-the centre hole will toggle between front cam/auto/rear cam (I only have the rear cam at the moment) 'auto' is where is defaults to coming on when you put it in reverese.
-red rocker switch will be to charge the nexus direct from the battery if I need to top it up after not driving for a while. Otherwise it charges off the ignition by default.
-black rocker switch, hopefully wont need to use this one too much (should always be 'on'), but it will be to break the permanent live to the Nav housing motor in case it stops working and I need to reset it (as per my swearing post above!)

I could have mounted it all directly in the ashtray compartment, which would leave space for even MORE switches, but just thought it might be tidier in the ashtray itself. It all might be a bit unnecessary, but I'm trying to cover bases so that I can resolve issues by pressing buttons/flicking switches instead of having to dismantle the bloody dash over and over again!

The lighter socket normally has a low profile twin usb outlet in it.
- Shaf - :mrgreen:

RX-8 PZ ProDrive Edition [008/800] (lowered 15mm, Bilstein dampers, Eibach springs), 2006 Galaxy Grey
Completed: D585-R CoilsNGK Iridium plugs & Magnecor leadsN3R3 starterSohn adapterCruise controlCalliper refurbBonnet liftersClimair deflectorsCabin LEDs2Din Metra kit
To do/Wish List: ●Mini map●20mm spacers F&R●Discs●DVR F&R●Body kit●Respray??
WildMan10
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Crystal White

Post by WildMan10 »

There's a good chance that I'll be embarking on this install shortly. I have sat nav in my project car and a while back got a Nexus to go with it; unfortunately, since then it's been too far down my priority list to get sorted.

It's now climbed my priority list as my Greddy Turbo car has an Adaptronic ECU that I can link to the Nexus to get tuning information and gauge data. The car has an Audiologic AUX-in to connect an iPod and, coincidentally, I have an iPod in my winter car that I've never used.

I grew up in a time before electronics and PCs. I struggle with anything involving software and have a knack of getting problems with anything electronic, so this may be a bit of a challenge. I want to use the Nexus primarily for the Adaptronic as I can get music through my phone - I mainly listen to digital and internet radio stations, which I get through phone apps, and use CDs when I fancy something different or lose the phone signal. I'm not that fussed about sat nav on the Nexus as I've got used to Google Maps navigation on my phone (I tend to use this on my winter car as I can get at it straight away whereas the CoPilot on the tablet I put in takes time to warm up; my R3 has a Garmin sat nav plumbed in that I primarily use to show me the road layout ahead and warn me of speed cameras).

I'm also a little concerned about the GPS signal to the Nexus. This means I'm considering a further option, which is to make my own mounting, modifying the Nexus as necessary to make it unattractive to steal.

I have a lot of reading to do here to see the latest recommendations for the install, apps and set-up. Additionally, I need to look at how I can link the Adaptronic, for example by Bluetooth or USB OTG (whatever that is), and I fear that there may be a conflict where I can connect the stereo/AUX-in or the ECU, but not both.

If 2 devices don't fit into one input on the Nexus then my first thought was to get a Bluetooth receiver like the Tecknet here. The Bluetooth receiver could also connect to my phone.

I also have a double DIN kit so have the option of fitting a double DIN. I also have a complete set of speakers and amps to replace the BOSE system. However, I'm holding back from installing this as it seems such a waste on a loud car like the Greddy Turbo (it includes, for example Morel Elate 3-way speakers). I'll wait until I know how quiet the car's going to be after I've tried and decided on the 8 exhaust combinations from the systems I already have (Pettitt Modular System with either the cat module or decat module; standard cat, Racing Beat twin-resonated decat, or Powerflow decat combined with either a Racing Beat Revi catback or existing Powerflow single-exit catback.

For me, a reversing camera isn't worth the effort as I've already done that for my winter car and I've found it of limited use.

Reading, reading, decisions, decisions.

Update on connecting the Adaptronic:
After countless frustrating hours of research for a technophobe like me I can finally say that AFAIK:
1. There are 2 methods of getting data from the Adaptronic to the Nexus, one involving the 2.5 mm jack serial port out and one involving the USB port.
2. The USB port option would be the simplest - use USB OTG with a cable between the Adaptronic's mini USB port and the Nexus' micro USB port - were there not a problem that is scary to resolve: charging the Nexus whilst connected to the Adaptronic. I've looked everywhere and posted on several forums to no avail; there is no easy way to charge the Nexus whilst using the USB OTG function as, to quote a website,
"While you can purchase various kind of “OTG” Y-cables, which purportedly will allow you to use an external device (or even connect to a USB hub so you can use multiple devices) while at the same time allowing a charger/power supply to be connected, this doesn’t work with a stock Nexus 7. This is a kernel limitation and you can override that by rooting and flashing a custom kernel.".
The instructions for the kernel are scary and the odds of me ending up with an expensive paperweight by trying to add a kernel or root the tablet are too great for me to risk. I'm therefore kicking the kernel option into touch.
I also looked at soldering a charger directly across the battery on the logic of 'how will the rest of the tablet be affected if the 4.3V to 5V there is provided by the battery or charger?'. I can intuitively see some possible problems, for example the Nexus might throw a wobbly if the battery connection voltage is higher than the voltage on the mini USB or the charger might not like the reverse situation. I know that people have replaced the battery with a charger supply but this has a whole host of gotchas for installation in a car. I'll do a bit more research on this on the net.
I wonder, also, if I could replace the existing battery with a larger one in the car.
3. The 2.5 mm jack serial out will use Bluetooth. I can run a 2.5 mm jack to RS232 (DB9) cable to the dash and fit an RS232 Bluetooth dongle in the end. The dongle will have to run with Serial Port Profile (SPP) and be ready to go (none of the hunting for drivers for a PC Bluetooth dongle).
I was hoping to find a simple and inexpensive dongle like the ones for a PC, but I can find nothing between a £10 PCB unit like this one and a £70-£100 dongle like this one, pictured below.

Unless I get any advice to the contrary, I’ll look further at powering the battery directly before spending money on trying the £10 Bluetooth PCB route.
Attachments
RS232_Bluetooth_PCB.jpg
RS232_Bluetooth_PCB.jpg (154.24 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
RS232_Bluetooth_Dongle_Brainboxes.jpg
RS232_Bluetooth_Dongle_Brainboxes.jpg (23.28 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
RS232_2.5jack_Cable.jpg
Ian
Now back to one, a white R3. Gone but not forgotten: 04 Tit Grey 231, 06 Copper Red Evolve (231), 09 VR R3, 10 Aurora Blue R3, 06 Black PZ; RX87 13BREW project car ;-( ; 04 White with Greddy turbo conversion ;-(

Buying a used RX8 turbo is like marrying a stripper.
Beware - older people may be cr@p drivers but they can afford better lawyers
Agis
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Agis »

Anyone interested in this?

Mazda RX8 Sat Nav hood, Nexus 7 project, Complete System.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-RX8-Sat ... 2463853898
Vian
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Vian »

On this one, the last OS update to the Nexus caused no end of problems, making the whole tablet extremely sluggish. Did anyone find a decent workaround for it? I end up waiting ages for the damn thing to settle down when it first connects.
"Don't care if they say we are a dying race, I'd rather be here than any other place"
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by bigpete8 »

I have similar reservations about using my nexus 7 for this reason.
Have a look at https://www.howtogeek.com/164106/why-is ... -up-again/
Also includes links to Googles legacy versions so could go back to 4.1.2
These users thanked the author bigpete8 for the post:
Vian (Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:23 pm)
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
Vian
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Vian »

I'm not going down the rooting path, but there are a couple of ideas on that that could be worth trying. I don't have a problem with it being old, that's a given. I'd just like it to be usable.
"Don't care if they say we are a dying race, I'd rather be here than any other place"
untakenname
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by untakenname »

Rooting a Nexus 7 and putting on a custom rom is pretty painless, the whole process takes less than half an hour.
There's still quite an active scene for the device on xda-developers.com, I use Timurs rom as it's designed for incar use and uses very little power when sleeping plus has built in cam support and other features.
Vian
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Vian »

Yeah. You might as well be talking Swahili for all the use that is to me! And I've looked at xda before when things have gone wrong on various devices, and understand one word in ten of their "painless" processes.
Mattzdaspeed
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Mattzdaspeed »

This feels like a horrendous necro-post but I've seen a few external sites reference our thread here so I thought I'd update this saying that the Amazon Fire 7 Tablet is a much more readily available alternative that I successfully installed recently. I'd be more than happy to share my findings/issues/pictures/etc if there's still demand for additions to the already comprehensive steps here?

Thanks to all involved in the thread, really helped me out :thumleft:
Matt

Proud owner of my 5th 6th RX8... “Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!”
Mazdaspeed S1 - MS04 RXB Project Thread
HarSc
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Crystal White

Post by HarSc »

Mxttz0r wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:42 pm
This feels like a horrendous necro-post but I've seen a few external sites reference our thread here so I thought I'd update this saying that the Amazon Fire 7 Tablet is a much more readily available alternative that I successfully installed recently. I'd be more than happy to share my findings/issues/pictures/etc if there's still demand for additions to the already comprehensive steps here?

Thanks to all involved in the thread, really helped me out :thumleft:
There's definitely no harm in sharing/putting them up on here - the more info available, the better! Also gives a fair few options :thumleft: good to hear you got your install working well though :D
Some guy from oooop north ;) | Harry | Membership Secretary | Media Team

- My Main RX-8 R3 [MHZ 3800] thread here
- My Project Banana [GL04 MXU] thread here
- My Mazda 2 DE daily thread here
- My engine disassembly shenanigans here
untakenname
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by untakenname »

I'm still using the Nexus 7 though it's now a bit long in the tooth, I use it purely for android auto so my phones now doing the heavy lifting and using the phones data and music/apps without having to faff around with setting up wifi hotspot.
Posted this last year but may as well in this thread as well, the dongle (carlinkit) also works with Apple Carplay if you have an iphone and it can do this wireless with the more expensive version which is around £35.
[youtube][/youtube]
Milos_Balunovic
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Milos_Balunovic »

not a nexus but an 8" :D
Image20190317_141937 by Milos Balunovic, on Flickr

more pics on:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/144020715@N06/31199k

Maintaned the oem operation of opening and closing, and stock position of controlls
bigpete8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by bigpete8 »

Milos_Balunovic wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:44 pm
not a nexus but an 8" :D
Image20190317_141937 by Milos Balunovic, on Flickr

more pics on:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/144020715@N06/31199k

Maintaned the oem operation of opening and closing, and stock position of controlls
Looks cool which tablet did you use and what functionality do you get from the track ball?
Sunlight Silver 231

Pete/Peter him/he/hrh couldn't really care as have 3 siblings and was lucky not to get called by the dogs name.

Living with a rotary - 7 Years in
viewtopic.php?p=1105043#p1105043
Milos_Balunovic
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Milos_Balunovic »

Track ball is eventually a disassembled mouse with it. so I connected it as OTG device trackball for moving the mouse and 2 buttons assigned for eft/right mouse button clicks. and I have connected one of the buttons as "power" button.

The biggest problem is the lack of full multitasking since its an old tablet (was done mostly like a proof of concept but now works and I'm to lazy to take it out and replace)
And it doesn't have the capability to handle OTG + charging at the same time (not that I would like to have a hot battery inside the console which gets HOOT. so I replaced it with 6A Lion battery (instead of oem lipo) connected to a current limited DC converter in parallels (2A max) at 4.1V which keeps the batteries happy and not overloaded and even if the battery gets empty it can power on the tablet and charge the battery at the same time.

Than the tablet is not handling the charging (it only receives 4.1V constant on input, and it sometimes report empty batterie and turns of the tablet (after some 6-7 hours of driving / not turning off the tablet)

its some rebranded sh*t from the mobile network provider given for free with a subscription thought it perfectly handles torque or Co-Pilot (my preferred choice for offline maps)

Edit, as you can see there is no touch screen on it anymore. I want to find some tablet that can have its digitizer removed as well that is in 8" size
These users thanked the author Milos_Balunovic for the post:
bigpete8 (Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:05 am)

Return to “DIY”