Changing the differential / diff oil

Area for car DIY ideas and how-to's - NOT questions.
Fitting strakes, taking the bumper off, or changing exhaust...
Manic Mechanic
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Velocity Red
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Changing the differential / diff oil

Post by Manic Mechanic » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:35 pm

This may be a help to someone, thought I'd post it up. Carried out on my 54 reg 192 - I'd guess it's the same for all models but would welcome comments.

First off, get hold of the oil - I won't go into recommendations for grade on here as it's been done elsewhere. Probably best get some from Opie with club discount.
When you have the oil, keep it somewhere nice and warm for a day or so. This makes it flow better and simplifies refilling. I put mine hidden away in the airing cupboard.

For tools, you will need 23mm and 24mm sockets. Rubber gloves would be advisable to minimise oil contact with your skin.
Obviously you'll need some kind of bowl to drain the oil into and somewhere to dispose of it. A funnel and an old 5 litre engine oil container would be ideal. Most council refuse/recycling places have somewhere for you to dump old oil.

So, the job.
Jack up and securely support the rear of the car. Place your bowl under the diff.
Diff.JPG
Diff.JPG (64.67 KiB) Viewed 3118 times
Using the 23mm socket, loosen the filler plug but do not remove it - more on why later.

Using the 24mm socket, undo and remove the drain plug. If you leave the filler plug in loosely while doing this, the oil drains slowly and it's much easier to keep it off the exhaust and suspension. It also helps to stop it running up your sleeve.

I used a bit of 12" bore (or 13mm if you're too young) hose which was a snug fit over the end of the Halfords oil bottle. I tapered the end of the hose with a stanley knife so it's a snug fit in the filler hole:
tube 2.JPG
tube 2.JPG (72.63 KiB) Viewed 3118 times
I tried a smaller bore hose pushed inside the end of the oil bottle first, but the oil's just too thick for it to work properly.

Crawl under the back of the car. Refit and tighten the drain plug.
Fit the tapered end of the hose in the diff filler hole and squeeze. Best not to lie directly under the diff or oil bottle in case it drips.
It's easiest to fill the diff from a full bottle, so I found it best to stop regularly and brim it.

As you get past 1 litre, keep stopping and removing the filling tube to see if there's enough in. When it's full, you'll get a steady stream of oil coming back out, not just an occasional drip.
Mine seems to have taken slightly more than the 1.3 litres listed in the handbook - I'd say more like 1.5 l.

I lowered the car to allow the excess to drain out, conscious that it isn't sitting flat when on the jacks.

Refit the filler plug and lower the car to the ground.
Pete.
Sold up, but did have fun with a 192, leather, sat-nav, crest, strakes, grilles, Toyo 'zorst, 6 speed 'box, anthracite wheels, bonnet struts, K&N, debadged boot.

No pistons or boobies, but still expensive.....

racerboy59
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Nordic Green

Re: Changing the differential / diff oil

Post by racerboy59 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:21 pm

Nice write up. I will also add that you can keep the bottles drowned in a bucket of hot water for a short while. This will help it flow better out of the bottle if you are in more of a rush.

Also it is recommended to change the plug washers. You can get these from your local dealer for about £1 each.
Last edited by racerboy59 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manic Mechanic
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Manic Mechanic » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:23 pm

Haha, I'll get one in the right place eventually (as the actress said to the bishop....)
Pete.
Sold up, but did have fun with a 192, leather, sat-nav, crest, strakes, grilles, Toyo 'zorst, 6 speed 'box, anthracite wheels, bonnet struts, K&N, debadged boot.

No pistons or boobies, but still expensive.....

Andrew.Pate
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Andrew.Pate » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:11 pm

Just a further helpful hint to add to this already useful article - for those worried about beating gravity and getting the new oil in - Laser multipurpose pumps are available on ebay for about £15. It makes getting liquid into the diff and gearbox very easy.

Andy
Nighthawk Black Honda Civic Type-R EP3 (2005-2006), 200bhp
Brilliant Black 231 (2007 - 2010), 230 bhp
Deep Black Renaultsport Megane F1 Team R26 (2010), 230bhp
Montego Blue Z4 Coupe (2011-Present), 265bhp

racerboy59
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by racerboy59 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:43 pm

Agree with Andy. I used the laser mini pump. It will hold about 1 litre and makes it extremely simple and clean way to fill up with the new oil. Well worth the £15.

duckula67
Former Member
Former Member

Post by duckula67 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:34 am

Did mine today after reading this and another thread about gearbox.
Used 3x 1ltr bottles to do diff and gearbox with a smidge left over.
got some 8mm poly hose from homebase which is a nice tight fit over bottle neck (taped on to make sure though) and heated the bottles in hot water for 20 mins first (thanks racerboy59).
Dead easy job took about 40 mins to do the lot. Laser pump is a waste of money in my opinion as the warmed bottles were really easy to squeeze (and I'm a wimp :lol: )

Found a fair bit of iron filings on diff magnet! say about 1/4 teaspoon full, is this bad on a 15000 mile car?

Anyway just wanted to say thanks for the guide and photos, helped a lot =D>
Mods:Black wheels.Start button.AEM CAI.D585Coils.EBC ultimax discs.Yellowstuff pads.Racing fluid.Stainless brake&clutch lines,Stainless vents.Cobra Catback.Bonnet struts.Auxmod.Custom Gauge pod.Eibachs&Fast road setup.Shortshift.Sohn adapter.Comp clutch&Flywheel.N/plate offset.Red calipers.Leather Gaiter.LEDs in&out.Smoke LED rear lights.LED 3rd brake.

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:30 pm

Just did the diff and gearbox.

Draining, both were pretty mucky with a big blob of sticky black sparkly goo on the drain magnets - not surprising as the car has 50k on the clock and no evidence of previous changes.

Re-filling, I used a length of clear 1/2" hose, a cheap drill pump, with a cordless drill, and a 2" length of 1/2" stainless thin-wall tube I just happened to have in the garage. This tube fitted tightly into the end of the hose and was a snug fit in the fillers holes. Snug enough not to fall out and just loose enough that the excess could leak past when the unit was full. This made it a one-man operation and it took longer to get the car on the ramps and axle stands for access than it did to change the oils. I'll take this along to the Essex Meet on Friday, in case anyone would like to borrow it.

Just driving back off the ramps and down the drive it's noticeable that the gearbox is quieter in neutral and it's easier to select reverse.
Maybe I should have measured the oils coming out as I'm surprised by this immediate difference unless the level was low.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

PaulRX-8(231)
Former Member
Former Member

Post by PaulRX-8(231) » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:41 pm

Think my diff oil needs changing as its not got signs of being done in the service history. Looks like an easy ish DIY job, so should i attempt it myself??
Paul
2013 BMW 530d M Sport, Citrin Black
2004 Mazda RX-8 231, Lightning Yellow

PaulRX-8(231)
Former Member
Former Member

Post by PaulRX-8(231) » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:47 pm

could i use this as the pump?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LASER-SYPHON-PUMP ... 5ad333de1a

I only ask as i already have one in the garage unused!
Paul

duckula67
Former Member
Former Member

Post by duckula67 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:46 pm

Can't hurt to try. If it doesn't work the worst you can do is make a bit of a mess!
To be honest though I just duct taped some silicon hose that I got from homebase for a quid onto my oil bottles as stated in the guide and it was really easy anyway!
Mods:Black wheels.Start button.AEM CAI.D585Coils.EBC ultimax discs.Yellowstuff pads.Racing fluid.Stainless brake&clutch lines,Stainless vents.Cobra Catback.Bonnet struts.Auxmod.Custom Gauge pod.Eibachs&Fast road setup.Shortshift.Sohn adapter.Comp clutch&Flywheel.N/plate offset.Red calipers.Leather Gaiter.LEDs in&out.Smoke LED rear lights.LED 3rd brake.

PaulRX-8(231)
Former Member
Former Member

Post by PaulRX-8(231) » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:50 pm

Ok so checked my history again no sign of it being done. So called Mazda in alyesbury spoke to a very helpful guy who told me there were no records on the digital system. So I spoke to him about the diff oil and they are doing it for me for £45 plus I'm going to take all my service details with me and get it updated in there system. Will get them to look at the funny paint patch on my boot lid too.
Paul

RickyG512
Club Member
Club Member
Location: Croydon/ Kingston/ Heathrow/ M25 South and West Sides

Post by RickyG512 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:19 am

Hi does anyone know how often this should be done and the benefits or noticeable change when changing the differential oil?
Car Bought With Black Wheels, Black Windows, Petit/Miltek Full Exhaust System, High Power Start Motor

Have done - 1. All RED interior lights + LED side lights 2. Red D585 coils, 3. Fit a big spoiler which requires respray, 4. K&N air and oil filter, 5. 10W40 fuchs XTR, 4. Imitation shark fin GPS glued on the roof lol 5. Red hammerite brakes

To Do List - 1. Sohn Adapter, 2. LED fog lights

MARKTHOMASBRAND
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MARKTHOMASBRAND » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:36 pm

Hi,

The Service Schedule will give you the answer to your 1st question :)

:arrow: [urlw=http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 25&t=35688]Click here[/urlw]

Regards,Mark.
Mark's : 2020 Championship White Honda Civic FK8 Type R .

Mandy's : 2019 Mazda MX-5 30th Anniversary RF # 1761/3000.

Freeman38
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by Freeman38 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:04 pm

I did mine as soon as I got the car. I used Miller's NT, and just realised that was nearly 5 years ago.
My car the diff had a faint whine. That went away and hasn't reappeared since. Probably time to change the oil again
●2004 Custom Blue ● Full Body kit and Carbon Fibre Mazdaspeed style Spoiler
● Polybush Full Kit● XYZ Coilovers● Hotchkis Front ARB's
● Pettit ANP Remap and EFIDUDE Logger●D514A Coil Packs Setup
● K&N Panel Filter● Racing Beat CAT Back Exhaust● ToyoSport HiFlo CAT
●Dimpled and Grooved Discs●EBC Yellowstuff pads●HEL Brake/Clutch Lines
●XXR 550 Wheels 8.75J ET36●Nankang NS2-R●R3 Differential

Return to “DIY”