Fitting Bonnet Gas Struts

Area for car DIY ideas and how-to's - NOT questions.
Fitting strakes, taking the bumper off, or changing exhaust...
Java
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Nordic Green
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fitting bonnet stay dampers.

Post by Java » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:06 pm

Has anyone fitted bonnet stay dampers? I've looked under the bonnet and haven't seen any pre-existing holes to bolt or screw the dampers in place so I presume I'd have to drill a few holes and use self-tapping screws.

Anybody know any different? I just want to confirm what's involved before buying a set.

Steve
NG 230, T/B leather, SS strakes, RR rebuild, Sohn adaptor

drago
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by drago » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:25 pm

Hi mate! Fitted some of these to mine just recently

The dampers are fitted to the bonnet using some small inserts which are attached using a special rivet gun which you will have to either borrow of someone or purchase yourself(about £15) the instructions are very detailed and show you exactly what to do so you shouldnt have any problems.

You have to drill some holes into the bonnet for the inserts but be very careful as if you dont shorten your drill bits down you could easily come through the other side!

The holes for the other side of the damper are already there you just have to open them up to 9.1mm and then just rivet them in place!

If you have any problems just pm me :)

Java
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by Java » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:38 pm

Thanks for the info.
NG 230, T/B leather, SS strakes, RR rebuild, Sohn adaptor

wattg
Former Member
Former Member

Post by wattg » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:16 pm

Where exactly on the underside of the bonnet do you drill the holes for the 4 inserts?
Velocity Red 230, Cloth, Stainless Strakes and Crest.

orbist
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by orbist » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:34 pm

RX-8 Owners Club Founder Member

wattg
Former Member
Former Member

Post by wattg » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:44 pm

Does anyone know what is the name of the tool for inserting the metal inserts into the holes after you have drilled them. Also where would I get one of these tools.
Velocity Red 230, Cloth, Stainless Strakes and Crest.

lochpark
Former Member
Former Member

Post by lochpark » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:04 am

This type of fixing is known by a few names, riv nut, rivnut, nutsert, blind rivet and clinchnut.

The cheapest place I found was RS Components

Part number 181-682

Altenatively there were some on ebay if you wanted to get them from the US, though by the time you pay the postage they'll be about the same price

RX8Head
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by RX8Head » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:11 pm

Hi all just thought I would let you know I fitted my bonnet stays a couple of weeks back and have the tool for the rivnuts, got it on ebay it was 20 quid after a lot of hunting around and finding ones local costing £60 or more. If anyone wants to borrow it just pm and you can have a lend of it.
Chris :D
RX8 Stealth Fighter Full list of mods complete with pics can be seen here 8), temporarily/possible permanently off the road due to an off at Brands Hatch :( .
Now rocking an SC VX220 :D .
Part of your friendly moderating team helping the keep the forum tidy, if you have any issues then feel free to drop me a pm and I'll do my best to help :wink: .

RichardK
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RichardK » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:01 am

drago wrote:Hi mate! Fitted some of these to mine just recently
See this thread

http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... php?t=8616
Post does not exist?
121 cars in 15 years.
"Enola Gay" FH55 OBW - 2006 RX8 190 Galaxy Grey, Cloth, SSStrakes, RBScreens Membership 1111
1996 Delica Space Gear Jasper 2800TD

California Style
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by California Style » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:12 am

I have got the dampers now off Ebay.. Will fit soon as I can muster the time and tools

RX8head kindly lnt me the Rivnut gun, so I should be doing it when I get back from Hols in Jan.....

If anyone has any tips (other than dont drill through bonney, please feel free to share, but it looks pretty straight forwards....
Lightening Yellow
SORN Track special from now on!
California Smile
Now with removed whine (boooo!)
Project thread for pics and info

California Style
Former Member
Former Member

Post by California Style » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:33 pm

ha! what a pain in the arse that was!

My top tip..dont drop important screws into the engine bay! feck me its a night mare to find some stuff.....

(also dont do it repeatedly like a moron......)

Alos the rivnut tool was a pain in the arse too, wityh one rivet nut threading totally, so I had to drill it out...[edited]....

Mind you I am quite sh*t at this sort of thing, normally my uber engineery friend helps me out.....

:oops:
Lightening Yellow
California Smile

RX8Head
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8Head » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:56 am

=D> Yes but it's worth all the efforrt isn't it =D> .

IIRR I too drop a bolt or two into the engine bay, but didn't manage to strip a rivnut though.
RX8 Stealth Fighter Full list of mods complete with pics can be seen here 8), temporarily/possible permanently off the road due to an off at Brands Hatch :( .
Part of your friendly moderating team helping the keep the forum tidy, if you have any issues then feel free to drop me a pm and I'll do my best to help :wink: .

California Style
Former Member
Former Member

Post by California Style » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:57 am

yeah rivnut tip...

squeeze fairly hard....but DO NOT Deploy full hulk like strength.....
Lightening Yellow
California Smile

The G Man
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by The G Man » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:45 am

After seeing carl_surgey's bonnet stay dampers in action, had to get myself a set 8) I've now got a set winging their way here as we speak :wink:

So, question is, who's got the "clubs" rivnut gun? Can I borrow it? Or alternatively come and fit them for me :lol:

Obviously I will pay P&P :wink:

Your's in anticipation,

G
2006 - 2010, 231BB, Gone But NEVER Forgetten
2010 - 2013 370Z GT Pack
2013- 2016, 370Z Nismo
2016 - present,Ford Mustang 5.0 GT, Ruby Red,FRPP Touring by Borla,FRPP Track Handling Pack,FRPP Strut Brace,Custom Plenum and coil covers by RPI,20/23mm spacers,Super Snake Stripe By BigWorm Graphics,American MuscleSplashGuards,DRL LED, Steeda Bonnet struts.

The G Man
Former Member
Former Member

Post by The G Man » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:41 pm

:bump: Arrived this morning :D (note to TNT, don't use a great big truck to deliver things for my Rex, when Mrs G is in :shock: )

Just a gentle bump, to whoever has "The Club Rivnut Gun", I'll be deep in the Wild West of Scotland for the next week and a half, so will be completely cut off from technology, i.e. a computer :shock: , I would like to fit my dampers when I come home 8)

So if anybody wants to lend a rivnut gun, could they PM me please, many thanks

G
2010 - 2013 370Z GT Pack
2013- 2016, 370Z Nismo
2016 - present,Ford Mustang 5.0 GT, Ruby Red,FRPP Touring by Borla,FRPP Track Handling Pack,FRPP Strut Brace,Custom Plenum and coil covers by RPI,20/23mm spacers,Super Snake Stripe By BigWorm Graphics,American MuscleSplashGuards,DRL LED, Steeda Bonnet struts.

RX8Head
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8Head » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:18 pm

You have PM The G Man

The G Man
Former Member
Former Member

Post by The G Man » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:21 am

Chris you have PM :wink:
2010 - 2013 370Z GT Pack
2013- 2016, 370Z Nismo

The G Man
Former Member
Former Member

Post by The G Man » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:31 pm

Bonnet stay dampers on today :D Working a treat, even though the instructions were for a left hooker :shock: Suppose I'll have to put up with the 10mm socket rolling about behind the light unit :roll: Happened in slo mo, no way to get it out without the bumper coming off :shock:

Thanks Chris for the rivnut tool, I'll pop it in the post sometime next week :wink:

Love it now the bonnet glides up 8)

G
2010 - 2013 370Z GT Pack
2013- 2016, 370Z Nismo

jca2627
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by jca2627 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:24 am

G, the nose only takes about 10 mins to take off and about the same to put back. Find yourself a spare half hour and sort out that 10mm socket.

While it's off you can get a good look around your suspension and oil coolers/pipework.
John
Ex '04 VR 231, R&B Leather, lit-up knob, Audio X-Link, Reverse sensors, JPerformance Catback, Trafficmaster, S/S Rear grilles, Black Lockwood grilles, B-pillar trims, interior trim pack, 3/4 plate, crest, strakes & accent. 050As, silly grin! :cool:

The G Man
Former Member
Former Member

Post by The G Man » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:30 am

Had it off when Lexx gave me a hand fitting the RB grills, will get on the case. When I was re-doing my front hubs, I took the wheel arch covers off and had a look at the oil cooler pipes, they seem ok for the time being 8)

Top tip when fitting these, place a blanket or sheet over the engine bay before drilling the anchor points, saves having swarf and cuttings going into the engine bay :wink:
2010 - 2013 370Z GT Pack
2013- 2016, 370Z Nismo

RX8Head
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8Head » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:53 pm

Nice one George the bonnet stays are nice they also open the bonnet a little higher giving you more light and a better veiw when checking the oil :thumright: .
No rush for the rivnut tool back it's not a lot of use for much else, anyone else want to borrow it just pm me.

Nice But
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Nice But » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:03 pm

After trying to win some of these barstards offov flea bay for the last 12 months.......... I got some for 26 quid Image Result

Fitted today..... (Cheers Chris for rivnut doofah) they're the dogs twitcher. I lost the frikin' nylock nut...... then found it on the drive.... took about 2 hours. 25 mins trying to find the nut I'd dropped :roll: :roll:

Piccy and video.....
Tim
MX5 2.0 Launch Edition 2005 - Velocity Red with Eibach boingies.Racing Beat Zorst - not quite an 8 but lots of fun still.
Ex 231hp true blue, Winning Blue 56 plate Sadly missed

http://www.2into.co.uk

ArjunNotay
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192

Post by ArjunNotay » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:49 am

I was thinking of getting some of these...where have people bought these from? I have seen some on ebay but im not sure which are good or not....any advice is greatly appreciated.

Arjun.
BB.r/b leather.192.Replikit MS bodykit.19" Lenso s73s.AEM CAI.GReddy Catback.Tein S Spings.Tints.Bonnet Struts.Piano Eyebrows.B pillar trim.Side strakes.Red Calipers.Red interior lights.Rotary Tax Disc.

RX8Head
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8Head » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:25 pm

I got mine off fleabay as long as they say they are Mazda original ones you should have no problems quality. I know a couple of people have the Tein ones and they also look good.
If you do get some and need a Rivnut tool just pm me as I've got one and they are a pain to get unless you want to spend lots of money and it's not much use for much else :roll: .

DogsnutsEA
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by DogsnutsEA » Mon May 19, 2008 10:42 am

Well I must say that I was very paranoid doing this myself as it involves drilling into the bonnet and everything but now I don't know why I was worrying so much... :D

I did this yesterday, took me a little while to find all the tools and try to follow the instructions etc but about an hour and a half later they were on... Working perfectly.
The only advice I can give is make sure you punch the bonnet (not literally... using a punch and hammer) and this will help the drill bit not slide anywhere. Very essential for a precise fitting. :wink:

Thanks Chris (RX8Head) for the loan of the Rivnut gun... I never realised how painful on the hands it would be to get those things put in... :lol:
But needless to say it is all done now and looking really good and I don't have to worry about the bonnet prop again... Woohoo!! :lol:
James (Former Club Tart (now owned by Hypothermia)/Annual Show 'n' Shine Winner 2006/Prodrive AutoTest Champ 2007)

MazdaSpeed 230 Strato with Grey Trim, DoB 22-03-06. Borla Exhaust, GunMetal Grey Strakes, Chrome MazdaSpeed Badges, Black MazdaSpeed Rear Brake-light Decal, Rear Parking Sensors, Leather Handbrake, Leather Front/Rear Console Lids, Illuminated Gearknob, RED Interior LEDs, RED LED Puddle Lights, LED Sidelights, Xenon Fog Lights. Now with MazdaSpeed GunMetal Grey Alloys.

Return to “DIY”