3D printing Components

Area for car DIY ideas and how-to's - NOT questions.
Fitting strakes, taking the bumper off, or changing exhaust...
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Re: 3D printing Components

Post by qwakers »

that makes sense to me, and the method you describe is certainly a viable option. i dont have a insert in front of me but it is tiny, approx 10mm and 3mm thick.

its to replace the insert you can see here.
s-l1600.png
i would obviously either measure the insert carefully or post one to whoever wants to give it a go.

it is also a possible option to cnc engrave the existing insert, by first sanding it back then painting it black, then cnc engraving through the paint layer to draw the design.
alisdairm
Club Member
Club Member

Post by alisdairm »

Arcizo wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:35 pm
Just wanted to put myself out here as someone who is willing to make custom designs and prints for the members. A lot of the time my printer is sitting idle, so as long as I am somewhat compensated for my design time and materials (generally dirt cheap), I will be happy to make stuff.
Arcizo, Can you change this to hold two 52mm gauges and make it plain without the lettering?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2720594
Arcizo
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Arcizo »

Sorry I never got back to you qwakers, got really busy with uni and completely forgot! Did you ever get it sorted?

Alisdairm, the project you linked actually came with the original design file for inventor, so it was really easy to modify. I made the holes 52.25mm diameter, which should be a snug fit if your gauges measure exactly 52mm.
I wasn't sure if you wanted the audio hole kept. I removed it, but if you want it's easy to add back in. If the fit isn't great I can adjust the holes, if you tell me by how much.
Also, I'm sure you know, but just in case: PLA is not temperature resistant enough for the inside of a car. PETG in my experience does well, but ABS or ASA would be ideal. :)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6550479/files
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

as it happens, yeah i did.

not perfect but it'll do :D
alisdairm
Club Member
Club Member

Post by alisdairm »

Arcizo wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:31 pm

Alisdairm, the project you linked actually came with the original design file for inventor, so it was really easy to modify. I made the holes 52.25mm diameter, which should be a snug fit if your gauges measure exactly 52mm.
I wasn't sure if you wanted the audio hole kept. I removed it, but if you want it's easy to add back in. If the fit isn't great I can adjust the holes, if you tell me by how much.
Also, I'm sure you know, but just in case: PLA is not temperature resistant enough for the inside of a car. PETG in my experience does well, but ABS or ASA would be ideal. :)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6550479/files
That looks perfect. Print it up in whatever material you think will work best and message me on me how you want paid.
Arcizo
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Arcizo »

Sent you a message a couple days ago in case you haven't seen it

Return to “DIY”