REQUESTING DIY VIDEOS FOR OC YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Area for car DIY ideas and how-to's - NOT questions.
Fitting strakes, taking the bumper off, or changing exhaust...
New Duke
Communications Team
Communications Team
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

REQUESTING DIY VIDEOS FOR OC YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Post by New Duke » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:04 pm

MODS: If you know of a location in the forum where this request would get the most views/be better suited then please feel free to move it.

Share your RX8 knowledge through DIY videos on the new OC channel

We're working on putting together a club YouTube channel. One category of the channel is DIY videos. We're essentially looking to have a convenient location where anyone can view how-to videos on the RX8. Hopefully to improve upon the videos already on other YT channels and fill in the gaps for DIY items that don't exist. This will be especially useful for new owners/members and may even help reduce the number of the same questions that are asked on this forum... and may also help new people to find the club.

Can I please ask that the next time you do some work on your RX8, could you consider getting out your camera or phone and videoing what you're doing? Doesn't matter how simple or complex the job. Then PM me (the channel admin) and I'll provided an upload link. Once uploaded we'll add the club logo to the beginning and upload it to the channel!

It would be ideal if you can talk through what you are doing on camera. But if you're shy then feel free to write out your steps and we can record a voiceover for you. Or feel free to record your own voiceover and send it separately as an audio file if you can't mix it into your video. We'll happily credit members for their submissions if you haven't already done so in your video, and you'll always own your own videos, the club will just be able to use them on the channel.

Below is a sample video I made quickly (currently on my private channel). Note that there's no opening logo, we just want the DIY bit. It's in 16:9 (landscape) as all video should be, not portrait. This video is in 4K but we're happy to accept any HD video. At this point our priority is encouraging as many submissions as possible.

So the steps are:

- Video your RX8 DIY
- Send me a PM
- Upload to the link I'll provide
- That's it! You've helped!

This channel has the potential to help a lot of people by sharing our knowledge, but it will only thrive through community input. Given how busy the 'what have you done to your RX8 today' thread is our members do loads of DIY on their 8s. So please do consider recording a video every time you do something on your 8. If you have any questions/concerns/ideas then please do PM me or post below.

Many thanks in advance.
Haydn
Last edited by New Duke on Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author New Duke for the post (total 6):
GreySilver Beast (Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:13 pm) • Vj4sothername (Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:20 pm) • warpc0il (Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:08 am) • johnbb99 (Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:23 am) • leeroy69 (Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:48 pm) • casey (Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:56 pm)

MightyCondor
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Re: REQUESTING DIY VIDEOS FOR OC YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Post by MightyCondor » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:54 am

Well I am about to fit a load of mods to a PZ in the next few months. May as well film it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author MightyCondor for the post:
New Duke (Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:19 pm)
2004 Sunlight Silver 231 Impulsive Panic Buy Rotary Shed & lesser seen RX-7 FD3s
2005 Winning Blue 231 - Loved and set free (sold) :(
2004 Winning Blue 231 - Lost at the hands of a careless BMW driver

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:51 am

I assume the footage can be lots of raw segments, without the need to edit together, as that's all that most people can capture as they work.

A set of stills, showing close-ups of items etc, could also be incorporated with the final production.

I find that the best How To videos include stills, often with big red arrows to point out the key elements; e.g. "These are the bolts you need to undo, but don't touch this one.."
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

New Duke
Communications Team
Communications Team

Post by New Duke » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:48 pm

That's right Dave. I'll happily accept completed videos like the sample video (the ideal) or raw individual clips that I can stitch together.

It's important though that if raw clips are given that the files are clearly named in the correct order and are ready for me to edit together. So no clips that just show the ground for 5 mins before any DIY starts for example. All smartphones have the ability to trim videos that have been taken, so that shouldn't be a challenge for anyone.

The key thing to keep in mind is that the editor (if you were to send raw files) may have no idea how to do the DIY task that is being demonstrated, so they can't be counted on to guess what info is and isn't relevant and what order it should all go in. Hence the file naming and trimming of clips beforehand.

Photos are also fine. And don't worry if they are a larger resolution that the video clips, I can scale them down. But I would ask that they are annotated by the person submitting the video, don't expect the editor to have the time or knowledge to do it. Photos should also be clearly labelled with a filename that shows where they go in the file sequence. For example:

SSV_Cleaning001.mp4
SSV_Cleaning002.mp4
SSV_Cleaning003.png
SSV_Cleaning004.mp4

That shows clearly what goes where in the timeline :thumleft:

I should also note that there's no need to show your face on camera folks. We're more that happy with seeing the work itself and having the explanation spoken. But if you see yourself as the next James May and want to show your face and be the host of your videos, then you're very welcome to do so!

EDIT: If you want to do a voiceover (because talking to yourself on your driveway can get funny looks from the neighbours) but don't have the ability to mix one into your video? Then feel free to record one separately on your computer or phone and you can send it along with you video as separate audio. Either in a single file that you've timed to your video clip, or in multiple audio files provided that they're clearly named in order as shown above.
Last edited by New Duke on Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:01 pm

Having had some experience creating content for corporate videos, can I suggest that the process includes sharing a "rough" cut of the complete video (or sections of, if it's large) back to the content provider.

This can save a lot of work later if a key element has been missed or something isn't in the most logical order.
It can also be the best time for the source to provide the voice-over narrative, either recorded or written down.

Much easier to make significant changes early on, rather than wait until it's fully polished before finding an error.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

Jeebi
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by Jeebi » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:35 pm

Will you be running a list of videos submitted so we know which ones have already been covered ?

New Duke
Communications Team
Communications Team

Post by New Duke » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:11 am

warpc0il wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:01 pm
Having had some experience creating content for corporate videos, can I suggest that the process includes sharing a "rough" cut of the complete video (or sections of, if it's large) back to the content provider.

This can save a lot of work later if a key element has been missed or something isn't in the most logical order.
It can also be the best time for the source to provide the voice-over narrative, either recorded or written down.

Much easier to make significant changes early on, rather than wait until it's fully polished before finding an error.
Very good point. I'd like to see how it goes before committing to that as a rule though. My hope is that members can review video they create themselves and ensure that they're sending usable video. Personally I don't really want to be drawn into an editing back-and-forth for every video because tbh I just don't have the time. It's better (for me at least) that members double check the clips that they submit beforehand and submit as above... or even better send a complete video that they're happy with. There will be other categories of the channel that we'll be producing original content for. The DIY side though I would like members to create as much as possible themselves so that I'm more curation rather than creation on that aspect. (Hey that rhymes! :D )

Us adding a voiceover if a member can't do one and they have submitted a script with their video is fine, but I'd expect them to have timed it to their video content/clips first. *I'll update the file submission post now regarding submitting separate audio files as a voiceover.

Of course if members want to swap videos amongst themselves for tweaking and 'peer review' prior to submitting to the channel that could work well and would spread the burden. 'Many hands' and all that. But that's down to personal initiative.
Jeebi wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:35 pm
Will you be running a list of videos submitted so we know which ones have already been covered ?
Good question and yes. I'll keep the first post updated with what videos/topics are submitted and accepted. If and when those start coming in ;)

Personally I'd encourage us having more than one video on the same topic. If say the channel already has one video on say 'how to replace the fuel pump', but another person 6 months on thinks that they would like to make another video pointing out additional points that they feel would be useful? Whether as a full tutorial or just as a polite addendum? Then I'd encourage them to do it.
These users thanked the author New Duke for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:07 am)

Honkytonk
Communications Team
Communications Team
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Honkytonk » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:16 am

I do think if one person's video is submitted and is serviceable but missing information or footage, and another is later submitted which uses the original as a base and adds the information required, there's no problem with that - we may either upload the new one as an 'Updated' version alongside the old, or replace the old one entirely depending on how much good content it contains.

I think the way this library will grow is through iterative improvement, and I don't think anyone should be upset if their video is switched out for a newer, more fully featured one if another member has gone to the effort of making that. This channel is never going to be a comment on your personal skills, but simply providing the best source of information for people searching for 'How do I replace the fuel pump in an RX8', or 'How do I turn off an RX8' (hopefully we'll replace that one in the algorithm...)
These users thanked the author Honkytonk for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:08 am)
Have a gander at my Diamond in the Rough in
The P-Shed Project Thread

And my Lazarus project, the awful(ly fantastic!) Mighty Vectra too if you like

Return to “DIY”