Hard wire a go pro hero 5

Area for car DIY ideas and how-to's - NOT questions.
Fitting strakes, taking the bumper off, or changing exhaust...
mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Copper Red

Hard wire a go pro hero 5

Post by mrspiller » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:12 am

Does anyone know how to do this or is there a long lead on the market which plugs into the cigarette lighter ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

untakenname
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Re: Hard wire a go pro hero 5

Post by untakenname » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:52 am

You can tap the fuses in the passenger footwell then run the cables up the A-Pillar, do you want it running all the time or just when the ignition is on?
I did a howto a couple of years ago which can be found further down in the DIY section, these days you can get ready made hardwire kits so no soldering required.
A gopro isn't the best form factor for a dashcam as it's quite bulky and noticeable, I took my dashcam apart and fitted it into a Mazda 6 Autodim mirror housing so I can't be seen from inside the car.

I've got a gopro mount mounted in the dome light which captures the steering wheel and the road for trackdays, initially I had it mounted on the ceiling but it was a bit too high so have a 10cm attachment now which lowers it to give a better view of the road.

mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Copper Red

Post by mrspiller » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:12 pm

untakenname wrote:You can tap the fuses in the passenger footwell then run the cables up the A-Pillar, do you want it running all the time or just when the ignition is on?
I did a howto a couple of years ago which can be found further down in the DIY section, these days you can get ready made hardwire kits so no soldering required.
A gopro isn't the best form factor for a dashcam as it's quite bulky and noticeable, I took my dashcam apart and fitted it into a Mazda 6 Autodim mirror housing so I can't be seen from inside the car.

I've got a gopro mount mounted in the dome light which captures the steering wheel and the road for trackdays, initially I had it mounted on the ceiling but it was a bit too high so have a 10cm attachment now which lowers it to give a better view of the road.
Thanks , I’ll take a look in the DIY section . I do have a question , it is currently fitted to the windscreen . I did have it fitted to the roll cage behind the seats but found the footage wasn’t very good . Basically , the in car footage was ok but the view of the track ahead was really dark , is there a best setting to improve it as I would prefer it fitted to the roll cage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

untakenname
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by untakenname » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:43 pm

Does the Hero 5 have a HDR setting? If so then enabling it should solve the issues, otherwise changing the white balance and exposure should make the outside a bit brighter, some trial and error may be required as different weather will need different settings.
I changed the exposure on my cheap Yi action cam and made the interior a bit darker to make the outside brighter, sample pic below before I mounted it lower, for best results I think it's better to mount it on the helmet.
cambrands.jpg
Helmet POV
helmetpov.JPG
helmetpov.JPG (74.47 KiB) Viewed 39 times

Return to “DIY”