Enabling Cruise Control on the S1 - As-Built Data Mod

Area for car DIY ideas and how-to's - NOT questions.
Fitting strakes, taking the bumper off, or changing exhaust...
Nillbymouth
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Re: Enabling Cruise Control on the S1 - As-Built Data Mod

Post by Nillbymouth » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:12 pm

Nillbymouth wrote:
JamieM wrote:So Nillbymouth, you might want to check that you have the 4-pin (all black) switch, even though you have 4 wires in the harness! :thumright:
Yes, I've got a black switch with the white top part where the connector plugs into.....time to buy a new switch....
Got a new switch from the Mazda dealer in Edinburgh today for £18.73. A 5 minute job to fit it and....

I have cruise control :D

Many thanks Jamie, excellent work.
2008 210/400 40th Anniversary edition RR D585 coils and Magnecor leads, RR mini re-map, RR Gold rebuild and Street port August 2015, RR superfast starter motor, Black refurbed alloys, De-cat, Shore 60A Polyuretane filled engine mounts. Oil Catch can fitted, Mouse mat mod....All thanks to the previous owner...thanks GazRX8 :D Now with new rims and winter tyres and alcantara steering wheel.

PeteH
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:15 pm

Mazda are about to have a sudden panic that they have a serious reliability issue with the brake light switch...... :P
RX-8 in Time Attack 2016 (2nd in class) & 2017 (Championship Winner)
http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=69554

binghamf6
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by binghamf6 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:11 pm

Had an other go at it today (check the switches and wiring in the week had to redo the wire in the ecu connector all ok) so I tried setting the baud rate to 38400 and got a buffer error but I now have cruise main light on the dash so just need to see if works when I test drive it (have already replaced the brake light switch to a 4 pin and added the wiring for it ) so many thanks Jamie good work.
Shane..

HID's + LED'S , Custom Gauge Pod , Piano Black Center Console , Later Interior , Bonnet Struts , Catch Tank
Poly Bushed Front End , Meister R Zeta S coil overs , Braided brake lines , Sohn And 2T Tank
RE-Amemiya short shifter, Show 'N' Go Front No. Plate , R3 Style starter motor.
Racing Beat Silenced de-cat and Rev 8 Cat back , Lambo Doors

Rebuilt and Ported at Hayward rotary

WaferShaf
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by WaferShaf » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:38 am

New 4 pin brake light switch arrived and fitted.

Horrible last photo, but it's to show "cruise" lit in green and cruise control operational!!

Thanks once again to JamieM, clever clever clever!! Hard times, but modest donation made in appreciation of your efforts!

ImageImageImage

- Shaf - :mrgreen:

RX-8 PZ ProDrive Edition [008/800] (lowered 15mm, Bilstein dampers, Eibach springs), 2006 Galaxy Grey
Completed: D585-R CoilsNGK Iridium plugs & Magnecor leadsN3R3 starterSohn adapterCruise controlCalliper refurbBonnet liftersClimair deflectorsCabin LEDs2Din Metra kit
To do/Wish List: ●Mini map●20mm spacers F&R●Discs●DVR F&R●Body kit●Respray??

JamieM
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JamieM » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:27 am

Thanks very much :D
Author of the cruise control enable mod
'54 231
LC Full bridge, D585s, Cobra exhaust, Exedy stage 1 clutch & ultralight flywheel, Tein springs, M1144 pads, 20mm spacers, AxialFlow shortshifter, catch can, MS style spoiler/skirts etc, eyelids, debadged boot, JDM towhook, XCarLink Bluetooth, Alpine MRX-M55 Amp (350W RMS) into SWR-8D2 Sub (custom box)
'52 Mk2.5 MX-5

MR_E
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by MR_E » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:00 am

This looks great! I havent even looked at my car yet to see if i have the correct switches or if my crappy bluetooth ELM will work. But does anyone know if the mazda 6 sport steering wheel would work. If I got one bare like this would my airbag fit? I'm guessing not by the looks of a complete one?
Bare http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-MAZDA-6- ... SwbYZXYCF9

Complete http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-6-sport ... Sw2gxYpK55

Update:

Using this old Bluetooth Adaptor

On a 2004 231, using a Win10 x64 Laptop.

I got....

However, my brake switch is a white plug with just two wires, so guess i need one of those (And also the correct Steering Wheel!) before i can test fully! But looking good so far, many thanks!! :)
Last edited by MR_E on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamieM
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JamieM » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:00 pm

Excellent :thumleft: Did it not print out your full VIN or have you just blanked it out for the photo? (it doesn't matter, but if there's a cosmetic bug displaying the VIN I'll look into it ;))

Yeah I think a Mazda 6 wheel works (don't know about the "sport" version, but the standard one), the button "pods" are a different shape though so you have to fit the whole wheel. Not sure about air bag. Think it's a different shape too. I know of a couple of people who went down that route though, check out this thread for the hardware side of the mod, some interesting posts relating to your question: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7129&start=100#p1018668

They used the whole wheel + airbag. Also viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56965&start=50#p1013420 ;)
Last edited by JamieM on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'54 231
LC Full bridge, D585s, Cobra exhaust, Exedy stage 1 clutch & ultralight flywheel, Tein springs, M1144 pads, 20mm spacers, AxialFlow shortshifter, catch can, MS style spoiler/skirts etc, eyelids, debadged boot, JDM towhook, XCarLink Bluetooth, Alpine MRX-M55 Amp (350W RMS) into SWR-8D2 Sub (custom box)
'52 Mk2.5 MX-5

qwakers
Club Member
Club Member

Post by qwakers » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:08 pm

i did it too, the rx8 airbag DOES NOT fit. which is a shame.

JamieM
Club Member
Club Member

Post by JamieM » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:23 am

Just uploaded a new version (2.1), very minor changes.

No change to main execution, but the ELM327 baud rate auto-detection has been improved, meaning that hopefully less people should need to use the --baud option now, it should "just work" in auto mode for more people.

Also tweaked some of the time delays so that they are a bit more lenient, automatically increasing if errors occur. I've had requests on the FORScan forum for this, as theoretically rx8cc should work on some other Mazdas with very similar data, e.g. the 2006 Mazda 3, but the delays were set up for an RX-8 which seems to have a faster responding ECU, and thus timed out on the Mazda 3. No difference for RX-8 users.

Also un-hid the --log option, since there's no reason for it to be secret and I've told loads of people about it now anyway. It now appears in the help text (--help or -h).
'54 231
'52 Mk2.5 MX-5

smharris480
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by smharris480 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:12 am

Hey guys

I'm sure this has already been mentioned, but..

I bought a cheap USB ELM237 clone off fleabay and was struggling running JamieM's programme. I honestly thought my wiring was wrong!!!

After reading through this thread it was mentioned to change the baudrate to 38400

This worked like a charm and I too now have working cruise control, albeit with a Mazda6 steering wheel. Which I quite like

On a side note, my 6 steering wheel came with a single stage airbag... So I fitted a 2R2 resistor in the orange airbag connector which is then clipped into an already fitted retainer on the rear of the airbag...

Hope this helps

Sorry!! No photos..

JamieM... Once again mate... Your a Legend... Well done mate...
Simon

Relocated Front Number Plate,
Illuminated Gear Shift (Red),
Nutty's D585's,
Toyosport Sports Cat and Rear Silencer,
JamieM's Cruise Retro Fit (using Mazda 6 wheel),
Syflex Auxmod,
Interior LED (Blue),
Exterior LED (Indicators, Stop/Tail, Rear Fog, Side Lights)
LED 3rd Brake Light

Kaks07
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Kaks07 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:54 pm

Right Long overdue. Thanks to Jamie and his efforts and his step by step guide along with Josh from RR with all wiring - I was finally able to unlock my cruise control. Cheers for everything lads. Appreciate it. Keep rocking! :mrgreen: :thumleft:

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:40 pm

We have a winner =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Essex Rotary remap
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ