Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

fuchs gearoil

Post by brettski » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:46 am

Hi,
I brought a rx8 in feb and decided to change all the oils in the car in june, i put in fuchs race gear oil in the box, i found that as soon as it was in the box felt different, more notchie.
I did this just before i went to castle combe for a track day, i had 8 15minute sessions for the day, by the 5th session at very high revs changing from 3 to 4th the sincros decided not to work,and was crunching into gear,i was gutted ruined the rest of a very expensive day, i thought my gearbox has decided to give up.

I have sourced another gearbox and some one to fit it before my next track day, but since i have done that, another guy on the forum has been on a track day and had exactly the same problem in the same gear, and he had also put in fuchs race oil a day before,and said he had not had any signs of gearbox issues before on the track, using different brands of oils.

I followed your links when choosing my oils from you and ordered what i thought would be very good oils for my car, sadly its going to cost me £400 now, i would strongly suggest that you drop that oil from your list at the moment and possibly test it in your own car on a track or something before selling it to anyone else.
offset plate,s/s strakes,spoiler,toyosport from manifold back,blacked out windows,parkin sensors new coils,seafoamed, bonnet lifters(20mm)(more air in)track wheels,rb antirollbar links premixed,lambo doors on 4 august, mister r coilovers, vented front discs red stuff pads allround

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: fuchs gearoil

Post by warpc0il » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:34 pm

Opie also sell Redline MT90, which transformed the action on my gearbox (for the better) and others on here have reported similar results.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

oilman
Forum Trader
Forum Trader

Post by oilman » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:14 pm

Brettski,

I've spoken to Fuchs and they have asked for a few things. Do you have any of the oil that came out before the Syn 5 went in, or any of the Syn 5 that was used? What has actually gone wrong in the gearbox that needed to be fixed? And what sort of use does the car get - is it mainly track use, or mainly road or a mix?

I spoke to Simon (my boss, who had an RX-8) and he used the Syn 5 in his gearbox for approximately 5 years without a single problem.

Cheers

Tim
Use the code RX8OC and get 10% Club Discount
oilman's website: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/ - register for news and offers
email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
phone: 01209 202944

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:49 pm

oilman wrote:I spoke to Simon (my boss, who had an RX-8) and he used the Syn 5 in his gearbox for approximately 5 years without a single problem.

Cheers

Tim
Tim, did Simon ever do any trackdays in his RX-8? I can only re-produce the problem when hitting the beep in 3rd (~85-90 mph) and then changing up to fourth, whilst still heavily accelerating on long straights. I've done this at several tracks before and never had an issue (on whatever brand of gearbox oil Mazda use). Everything is fine on 1-2 and 2-3 hard changes on the track. So this problem is something I can't (legally) reproduce in normal road use. I plan to change my Fuchs oil out later this week, so it will only have done ~120 road miles and ~120 track miles. If an oil sample is any use I can provide it. I don't have any of the oil previously in use in my gearbox. My car does ~7,000 miles each year, including 5-6 trackdays (so about 600 trackmiles).
Club Secretary
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport

Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet
"Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3

matt_banks
Former Member
Former Member

Post by matt_banks » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:29 am

Hi Oilman there appears to be a few people posting up about gearbox issues shortly after changing to this oil. I have just ordered 3 litres in preparation for gearbox oil change, would there be an issue exchanging for a different oil as I am now worried to use this. Thanks
192 Winning Blue 07.10.10 - 06.03.13
231 Velocity Red 11.09.13 -

oilman
Forum Trader
Forum Trader

Post by oilman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:14 am

No problem at all if you wish to exchange it just call Tim on 01209 215164.

We have had many RX8's doing trackdays (including our own) and driven hard without problems on this oil so unless the formulation has changed (which we are checking with Fuchs) its hard to explain what exactly could have gone wrong as this is a top quality ester-based race oil.

Cheers

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by casey » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:05 pm

Just arranged for my Fuchs Syn5 gearoil to be changed out tomorrow morning for Racing Synchro 80 Gearlube 70W-80 GL4 on the recommendation of MRP. Clive of MRP uses it in his RX-8 at trackdays so hoping this will solve my 3rd-4th synchro crunch problem. Just need to find somewhere to test it at 90mph+....... :paranoid:

I will report back when I've found somewhere to safely test the replacement oil.
Last edited by warpc0il on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Club Secretary

"Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump

Ian.Mothersole
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Ian.Mothersole » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:10 pm

^^this is the stuff I put in my box before Snetterton.
Its made it slightly quieter and I certainly had no problems with it on the track - gear changes were as smooth as ever :D
Can recommend :thumleft:
Ian.M - Keep It Simple!
Club Shopkeeper & Forum Admin Team

"Rex" 2009-16
Velocity Red 231; Hayward Rotary ported engine; Racing Beat exhaust, flywheel, air duct, anti-roll bars; Eibach lowering springs, wheel spacers; Essex Rotary mini-remap; Prodrive PZ spoiler.
"Rex 2" 2014-
Velocity Red 231; the project car.
"Blue Rex" 2015-
Winning Blue 231; RX ATE.

brettski
Former Member
Former Member

Post by brettski » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:45 pm

Hi Tim,
i changed the oil about 1500 miles ago, and am having the same symptoms as casey i have only done one track day about 180 miles, im not sure what oil was in it before, its left me very disheartened on taking my car on the track.
thanks brett
offset plate,s/s strakes,spoiler,toyosport from manifold back,blacked out windows,parkin sensors new coils,seafoamed, bonnet lifters(20mm)(more air in)track wheels,rb antirollbar links premixed,lambo doors on 4 august, mister r coilovers, vented front discs red stuff pads allround

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by casey » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:29 pm

I’d welcome views from others on what they think has happened here and what I do next. The facts;

54 plate car bought new. I do about 6,000-7,000 road miles, plus 4-6 trackdays in the car annually. This has been the pattern for the past 5 years, the car having completed 23 trackdays to date. Original engine, clutch, gearbox, diff. Some mods done to the car, see my sig below.

26 August 2010: gearbox oil changed by Mazda main dealer on 6th annual service. 45,931 miles
Trackdays done subsequently at Cadwell, Oulton (x2), Brands, Blyton (x2), Japfest 2011(2x 20 minutes). No problems with gearbox.

23 August 2011: 7th annual service (which did not include gearbox oil). 53078 miles
Trackdays done subsequently at Snetterton, Brands, Blyton. No problem with gearbox.

12 May 2012: Japfest 2012 (2x 20 minutes track sessions). No problem with gearbox. 55805 miles

12 June 2012: trackday at Oulton Park. No problem with gearbox. 56,761 miles

25 July 2012: knowing the oils in the gearbox and diff haven’t been changed for a while I decide to get gearbox and diff oils changed for “Fuchs Titan Race Syn 5 75w-90” and “Fuchs Titan Gear LS” respectively, based on the Opie Oil website recommendations. Nothing unusual spotted on magnetic drain plugs on the change.

26 July 2012 (day after oil change): drive to Snetterton for a trackday. No problem on the ~50 mile relaxed drive up to the track. Nothing noted on the relaxed pace sighting laps. First track outing, after a warm up lap, changing up on the beep in 3rd up to 4th and I get an almightly crunch as 4th is engaged. For rest of day I have to count to 3 in neutral before engaging 4th gear on an up-change. No problem in any other gear changes, up or down. Drive home and changing up at 4,000rpm in 3rd is no problem. 57,251miles

1 August 2012: change gearbox oil for “Racing Synchro 80”. More debris stuck to the magnetic drain plug than seen on the change a few days previously (see pictures). On a test drive any change up 3rd-4th above 4,500rpm results in a crunch :cry: . If I drive to 7,000rpm in 3rd, wait for the revs to drop to 4,000 in neutral, then engage 4th I can avoid the crunch.
Attachments
Drain plug 3a.jpg
Drain plug debris
Drain plug 3a.jpg (94.08 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
Drain plug 2a.jpg
Drain plug debris
Drain plug 2a.jpg (84.81 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
Club Secretary

oilman
Forum Trader
Forum Trader

Post by oilman » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:09 pm

I have had Fuchs/Silkolenen on the phone this morning, they are quite concerned about this.

Can anyone get me a used sample (who is having problems)? Or a long shot I know still have the bottle as there will be a batch number on there.

Fuchs are saying they have not changed the formula since 2006, so are baffled as to why it is now causing issues in some gearboxes.

Cheers

Guy

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by casey » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:03 pm

^^ Guy - many thanks, I've just called your office and left my details so you can call me. I have a sample of the (less than a week) old Fuchs oil that was taken out of my box this morning. This oil has only had ~120 miles road and 100 track miles use. I also have a part used bottle that was used to fill the box last week, so can provide a batch code.

The bad news is I need to get this sorted so have arranged to purchase a used gearbox and get it fitted next week. A very expensive trackday outing :(
Club Secretary

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by casey » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:20 pm

oilman wrote:.......who is having problems?.........
Based on these thread links;

gazipswich
jph009 & duffbyname
brettski

It would seem that the above 4 members, plus myself, have experienced recent gearbox synchro issues possibly linked to use of this oil.
Club Secretary

oilman
Forum Trader
Forum Trader

Post by oilman » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:34 pm

Casey,

Thanks, that is just the stuff I need. I am still stuck in a meeting at the moment, can I give you a call in the morning regarding the samples?

Cheers

Guy

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by casey » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:46 pm

^^Guy, no problem, call me tomorrow. I'll be around from 9am on the number I left at your office.
Club Secretary

brettski
Former Member
Former Member

Post by brettski » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:29 pm

casey, im gutted that its still crunching,so no point changing the oil just spend the £400 on new box now then,i really wish i had put in the redline that i was going to put in. Please oil man dont sell this anymore, its not very good

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by casey » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:24 pm

^^ I'm gutted too, as I was very careful on the remainder of the trackday to delay upchanges. I guess once the damage is done that seems to be it. It was worth trying some different oil in case the damage hadn't gone too far.

I am collecting a replacement gearbox on Friday from a Rex that's been broken for parts, together with new clutch as I might as well get this changed too whilst the box is out - current clutch is the original, having done 57k. Local garage booked to do the work next week, they reckon about 3 hours labour.
Club Secretary

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by casey » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:47 am

Guy phoned me this morning, as promised, and has arranged for a courier to collect my sample of used (250mile) oil, plus the leftover fresh oil still in the bottle (with batch code). He has removed this oil from the recommended list for the RX-8 on the Opie website whilst the issues are being investigated. He says that Fuchs are very concerned to hear of our problems and are anxious to analyse the oil samples. Can't fault the Opie response at the stage.
Club Secretary

brettski
Former Member
Former Member

Post by brettski » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:40 pm

im not going to bother to change the oil, i agree on the response, im really interested in what fuch come back with i bet they say theres absolutely nothing wrong with it!! this has left me very deflated about the whole rx8 thing at the mo :thumbdown:

oilman
Forum Trader
Forum Trader

Post by oilman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:08 am

I'm not sure Fuchs will say there is nothing wrong, although they might not phrase it quite that way. I spoke to someone there the other day (sorry, been off ill, would have mentioned it sooner) and they said they have found something that needs looking into with the oil. They are genuinely concerned about the oil causing problems, so I think they will be doing their best to sort it out.

Cheers

Tim

brettski
Former Member
Former Member

Post by brettski » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:32 pm

how long do you think it will take, im using fuchs in my engine, diff so im abit worried if that has done that to my gearbox, and im almost positive it has because as soon as it was put in it made my box noticeably worse from the moment i drove it out the garage, are the other products fuchs make ok?? thankyou for taking it off your web site, i dont want any other people using it.
i honestly think it is just a bad batch thats come out, others have used it for 2 years with no problems.
thanks brett

oilman
Forum Trader
Forum Trader

Post by oilman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:20 pm

Hi Brett

There is absolutely no need at all to worry about the diff and engine. The Syn 5 has never been in question as a diff oil, I don't think anyone has ever come to me with a problem with the Syn 5. I'm guessing you have the XTR 5w-30 in the engine and again, I can't fault it. We sell a lot of it and again, I can't think of a problem with it.

The Syn 5 in the gearbox is the only Fuchs product I can think of where there has been a legitimate problem.

Cheers

Tim

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by casey » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:22 pm

Just to let everyone know that FEDEX picked up the oil samples from me today and they are en-route to Opie Oils.

I need to get my car sorted so I have picked up a gearbox from a 8 that was being broken, courtesy of Clive at MRP and Steve-D. It's now at a local garage who are booked to change over the gearbox on Monday, plus replace the clutch, as it has done 57k and doesn't make any sense not to do it whilst the gearbox is out.

I'll retain the old gearbox whilst the oil investigation is underway.
Club Secretary

gazipswich
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by gazipswich » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:04 pm

After using this oil my box has been crunching from 1st to 2nd . I've now drained and used the synchro 80 but the damage seems to have been done. And is getting worse.

gazipswich
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by gazipswich » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:30 pm

Any news from Fuchs yet?

Return to “Opie Oils”