Choosing and fitting LEDs

Read the Frequently Asked Questions that have been accumulated over time.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Choosing and fitting LEDs

Post by warpc0il » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:50 am

DannyJames wrote:Firstly, if you're upgrading your bulbs to LEDs then you don't need canbus support in the RX8 however some of the better bulbs have it anyway. This should be the same for both Series1 and Series2 cars however there is a thread on this forum recommending H11 bulbs for the fog lights which is wrong (for the R3 at least) and cost me a cool £65 which I couldn't get refunded.

If you want to match the headlights for colour then you need around 5000K. If you want bright, crystal white you'll need 6000k and will need to upgrade your headlight bulbs.

Front Sidelights - T10 (W5W) 501 - I recommend using CREE bulbs for this as they are a front facing LED only with a diffusing lens which distributes the light evenly and proportionately lowering the chances of dazzling on-coming traffic.
For example:

Front Fog Lights (Post 2005) - 9006 HB4 - I recommend using side-walled CREE bulbs for this also as they are very bright and again won't dazzle oncoming drivers. These bulbs are also the best option if you are changing your fog lights in to DRLs.
For example:

Front Fog Lights (Pre 2005) - H11 5W - I recommend using side-walled CREE bulbs for this also as they are very bright and again won't dazzle oncoming drivers. These bulbs are also the best option if you are changing your fog lights in to DRLs.
For example:

Reversing Lights - 582 7440 T20 - For reversing lights it's important you get a VERY bright LED unit. Anything substandard just won't be bright enough especially in the day. I'd recommend avoiding side-walled bulbs for this application as the aim is to light up as large of an area behind you as possible to make reversing safe.
For example:

Wingmirror Puddle Lights - T10 (W5W) 501 - With this bulb you want it as bright as possible but you want a unit which has LED chips along the side of it's length due to the angle the bulb sits at. If you don't, you'll light up the side of your door but not the floor at the side of your car like intended. So you need something with lots of chips and no side wall. You also need to get a unit that is quite short else it just won't fit.
For example:

Rear Numberplate Lights - T10 (W5W) 501 - A short bulb is needed here to fit inside the bulb covers. AVOID side-walled bulbs unless you want to light up the floor behind your car rather than the plate.
For example:

Door Safety/Puddle Lights - T10 (W5W) 501 - A front facing LED bulb will be fine here. A short one again due to limited room behind the bulb cover.
For example:

Front Interior Roof Lights - T10 (W5W) 501 - As above.
For example:

Rear Interior Roof Lights - 36mm 272 Festoon - A four to six chip Festoon LED will fit nicely and provide ample light.
For example:

Update:
1hotsteppa wrote:I found 36mm festoon this bulb is too long. The original bulb I have taken out of mine is 30mm.
Vanity Mirrors - 31mm 269 Festoon - Each side takes one bulb. A single row unit is needed here of two to four chips. Warning: Take extra care when changing these bulbs as there is a known issue with the vanity mirror setup and it causing electrical faults around the car resulting in fuses being blown left right and centre.
For example:

Glove Box Light - T10 (W5W) 501 - A basic T10 with 4 or more chips will be fine here
For example:

Ash Tray Light - T10 (W5W 501 - A flat T10 is needed here to fit in the small space provided.
For example:

Boot/Trunk Light - 31mm 269 Festoon - A bright LED is needed with as many chips as possible but as short as possible, much like the wing mirror puddle lights.
For example:

I have not included the brake lights, turning lights, headlights and mainbeams because I have no experience changing these and realise that some may need resistors installing to stop light errors occurring.

Note: If anybody could just clarify the Pre and Post 2005 foglight bulb codes or any other differences between production dates I'll adjust the post accordingly.
Thanks to Danny for this valued contribution. =D>

Though the difference between the foglights isn't manufactured date but market.
UK Series 1 cars all use H11 bulbs, whereas US and JDM cars use HB4.
This is often incorrectly shown on ebay listings and some "select your model" websites, hence the confusion.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Re: Choosing and fitting LEDs

Post by warpc0il » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:23 pm

It helps if you have a friend helping when you fit LED's, especially when testing the brake lights, and after all...

.... many hands make light work :giggle:
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Re: Choosing and fitting LEDs

Post by warpc0il » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:19 pm

Updated following input from Pete(1hotsteppa).
1hotsteppa wrote:Rear interior light.

I found 36mm festoon is bulb is too long. The original bulb I have taken out of mine is 30mm.
Thanks Pete
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™

Return to “FAQ - Frequently Answered Questions”