Read the Frequently Asked Questions that have been accumulated over time.
- Forum Moderator
- Posts: 10096
- Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:38 pm
- RX-8: 40th Anniversary
- Colour: Crystal White
- Location: In the land of the big cat!
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is often also referred to as the Engine Control Unit (ECU) though the PCM on the RX8 controls much more than just the engine.
For maximum benefit, start this process with a stone cold engine.
- 1 Disconnect battery and leave for at least minute.
2 Reconnect battery and turn to ignition II so the dash lights are on.
3 Pump the brake 20 times, enough to flash the brakelights, within 8 seconds.
4 Some cars may get the oil pressure indicator to centre and back down again to confirm PCM reset completed but this seems to be removed in later PCM firmware upgrades - so don't worry if yours doesn't.
5 Turn the key forward to start the engine and leave to run for at least 10 mins on idle - without touching the throttle pedal. (you may hear revs rise and fall but this is OK)
6 Once idle settles, turn engine off.
7 Restart engine and let run for 2 mins to reset DSC and steering.
8 To reset DSC turn steering wheel fully clockwise then fully anti-clockwise.
9 Turn ignition off.
10 Turn ignition on and ensure traction light is extinguished.
11 Power the driver's window all the way down, then back up and hold the switch in the up position for 5 seconds to reset the "single-shot" function.
Last edited by warpc0il
on Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 7 times in total.
- These users thanked the author Delanor for the post (total 2):
- daveyz (Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:18 pm) • violent_jelly (Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:27 pm)
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, K & N filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
- Spin Doctor
- Posts: 25625
- Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:56 pm
- RX-8: 231
- Colour: Lightning Yellow
- Location: Groomsport, Co Down, NI
The procedure to reset the PCM on the R3 is different to the S1...
1. Record radio station presets (FM1/2, AM).
2. Disconnect negative battery cable for a minimum of 1 minute.
- With negative battery cable disconnected, depress and release brake pedal one time.
3. Reconnect negative battery cable.
4. If equipped with DSC, perform the STEERING ANGLE SENSOR INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE (as above)
5. Input radio station presets.
6. Initialize power windows. (as above)
Last bumped by warpc0il on Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:55 pm.