RX-8 repairs and modifications
13Black
Forum Trader
Forum Trader
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

13BeRightBack

Post by 13Black » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:49 am

A quick reminder to those who don't know - I'll be away from Tuesday (20th) midday until I get back some time on Monday afternoon due to Glastonbury shenanigans.

Therefore I won't be in the shop and I may be hard to get hold of - if you try to call and it appears that I'm talking some gibberish about being in a different dimension preoccupied with being the new Overlord of Planet Zog... then it's probably just a bad signal, I'm in a field, nothing to worry about, I'll return all messages on Monday :D

Anyone else on here who's going, let's meet up for a cider, yeah?

Regards
Nick

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: 13BeRightBack

Post by warpc0il » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:17 am

Don't forget your wellies and bogroll
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

WhelanUK
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by WhelanUK » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:49 am

And the baby wipes
• Brilliant Black PZ • D585-R Coils • Magnecor Leads • Rear LED Lights • 13Black Mini Map • GROM Unit • Piano Black Trim • Cusco Front Strut Brace • Custom Steering Wheel • 13Black Engine Mounts • 20mm Spacers • Short Shifter • R3 Interior • AEM Intake • Toyosport Decat

joney
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by joney » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:39 am

Yer bad signal :roll: ps don't forget the gas mask the porta toilets can get a little ripe in the heat
If its not broke I'm sure I can find a reason to take it apart :thumright:
Things Done: Nexus Mod, Led Lights, D969 Coils, cobra exhaust, moded ash tray to gauge pod, Toyo Decat, cruise control mod with mazda 6 steering wheel and Lots of Cleaning
To Do: ?
Want:Ms kit

Dazza44
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Dazza44 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:45 am

There's allways www.mansize.fitmeanappy .com Image

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Phil Bate » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:07 am

joney wrote:Yer bad signal :roll: ps don't forget the gas mask the porta toilets can get a little ripe in the heat

Portaloos? Pah! Longdrops ftw!
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar

SeriousSam
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by SeriousSam » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:23 am

Top festival tip from a mate of mine many years ago - take a roll of bin bags and a couple of bog rolls with you. Saves you having to carry a gas mask for the portaloos when you can crimp one off into a bin bag, tie the top and then lob it in one of the bins. Apparently. Although don't go putting that into one of the recycling bins [-X
To Do List: HKS CAMP2 install; cruise control; new exhaust; detail paintwork, possible respray

Done: Hayward Rotary rebuild and stage 2 port; Racing Beat ARBs, adjustable front droplinks, ram air intake and lightened flywheel; Exedy stage 1 clutch; Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs; Koyo radiator; heated front screen; EBC redstuff pads all round

13Black
Forum Trader
Forum Trader

Post by 13Black » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:27 am

I think the public will give me funny looks squatting in front of Ed Shearan on the pyramid stage producing better noises than he is.

Conan
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Conan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:01 am

They never used to have loo,s at Stonehenge free festivals ;)
But then it didn't cost the price of a house to attend either :)
Don't ask me what we did as my memories a little blurred #-o
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

bigpete
Forum Trader
Forum Trader

Post by bigpete » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:31 pm

Conan wrote:They never used to have loo,s at Stonehenge free festivals ;)
But then it didn't cost the price of a house to attend either :)
Don't ask me what we did as my memories a little blurred #-o
It's probably still where you left it Pete :lol:
Bigpete

Comp testing, parts for sale and fitting service, Servicing
Non runners bought for cash.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BostonRotary

https://www.facebook.com/BostonRotary

13Black
Forum Trader
Forum Trader

Post by 13Black » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:41 pm

I've been a bit quiet on the RX-8 front lately due to the day job and catching up with the delays that have crept in due to unforeseen problems and the time away fixing modern cars instead etc.

One such project that has been taking priority is a gearbox and rear axle design, manufacture, and rebuild for a century old vehicle that I'm having to do remotely with another company who actually has the vehicle that has hardly even been assembled during my time with the project. So getting any dimensions to work with has been slow and sometimes changing, which is obviously frustrating but an intrinsic part of the project when taken on. You can only make designs taking into account what is available at the time and incorporate any leeway by whatever means possible to the extent that the requirements allow. It was always going to be on and off while I wait for parts and info to come back to me.

Anyway, what has made it different is that the owner has a nasty bout of cancer that is terminal and even with the treatment he's being given, wasn't given long to live at the start of the project that commenced February, so I was happy to give it priority and progress as quickly as something like this would allow. I gave a rough estimate at the start given what we knew but then soon ran into problems and more work than we couldn't have known from the outset - not the end of the world but pushed it past my original estimate which he's fine with - my side of the deal shouldn't be the critical path of the project however the nature of it means that I have to run at the pace of the rest as it takes shape. He wants his last months spent getting some automotive projects taken from concept to reality while he can. Top guy.

5 months later, after some delays and reshuffling at their end which has required some design tweaks my end.. I've managed to get most of it sorted and ready to fit, with the rest happily designed and just waiting for another company I outsource to to get their arses into gear and actually deliver what I asked of them, 2 bloody months ago. Not a lot of work for them to do but they're really busy and faffing around not getting things done, which has rather miffed me off.

I've just been told by the guy who's sorting the rest of the vehicle that the owner, who a few weeks ago wasn't well anyway, has been discharged from hospital and is now in palliative care on whatever painkillers it takes to take away the pain.
He's not going to live to see this completed let alone be able to drive it himself. I feel a bit devastated. I really wanted to get this working in at least some sort of state in time for him but it's now not possible, even if I got all the parts today, even if I got them a month ago probably given the rest of the car is still upside down getting the other work done to it.

His wife has informed us that the vehicles in his possession must be completed regardless if he's well, unwell or even with us any longer.
I'm in a weird place of being annoyed at my supplier for delaying things, even though it may not have made a difference in the end, grateful that the owner still wants us to have work coming to small firms like ours supporting what we do and not just calling a halt to the project, and a bit upset about the whole situation. I don't know. The requirements of the whole thing has given me my fair share of anxiety anyway but the end result is what makes it worth it with these things - but of course the main satisfaction of it coming together won't be realised anymore, for any us involved to its full extent... and for the owner, not at all.

With this project having its costs that I'm yet to be paid for (which is fine, it's not finished, I don't care if I'm out of pocket for now)... another project that I've had since Feb also which has had a few things to be done to it, which is now finally done and with the customer, again having its problems, delays and stress for various reasons, that has again come with some considerable costs that I'm yet to invoice for and hence haven't received any payment or prepayment for, again, fine by me really... and some other work that is booked in for the rest of the year that we've only scratched the surface with to find out the work necessary, but I'm now reluctant to fully take on with my dad due to, shall we say, differences in the quality of the work we are happy to sign off and attitudes to the work, to put it nicely in the fewest words possible. So future income opportunities are looking patchy at the moment.

As a result, I've kinda been running out of money while I get all this stuff out of the way and I've been so busy getting it all sorted working through the delays that I've had to sideline the RX-8 business which is after all just a side business that keeps me entertained more than anything. So nothing new or exciting has been happening lately since I haven't had the momentum to get on with anything meaningful.

So for the coming weeks I need to get this project for this guy sorted as soon as I can - it's what he wants and the least I can do is my best in return for him choosing to keep a roof over my head, even if the money he's spending won't be for his direct benefit now.

Bear with me, RX-8s are definitely on the to do list but a little way down near the bottom at the moment. I've just renewed my Trader status anyway so got to make the most of it.

-Nick

brix79
Club Chairman
Club Chairman
RX-8: R3
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by brix79 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:34 pm

Feelin' your pain bro. :|
John
Chairman, Membership Secretary & Forum Admin Team :shock:

2017 // 2010 Aurora Blue R3
20mm Eibach Pros | LED'd | Premixed | More to come..

2011-17 // 2005 Titanium Grey 231 | Gone, but never forgotten..

Dr. FrankenRex
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:12 pm

Takes a pair of brass ones to stand up and put all that in writing on here. From reading it, I too feel mixed about it all from what you've said.

I hope that the project you mention ends up every bit as wonderful as you, the owner and the others involved with the restoration could have wanted it to be.

If you ever find yourself out my way in need of a cuppa and a chillax then let me know mate :thumleft: (If you're not rushing around like a headless melon, of course!)
Current: FrankenRex 2, leaner and meaner. '60 plate, eibach lowering spings, Maserati 6 pots, braided brake lines

To-do: suspension geometry, alcantara headliner, Ryan Rotary remap, track alloys, custom-built DRLs, Foglight tint

No more: '58 Blue R3, '04 White/ Black 192, '09 Diamond Grey R3, '09 Velocity Red R3

ChrisHolmes
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by ChrisHolmes » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:42 pm

your customer certainly sounds like an incredible strong person and with his feet firmly planted so surely he would make an interim payment to cover work done to date. Are your sub cons aware of the urgency, I am sure they would respond positively to the situation. Shops can work wonders when they know how critical and deserving a situation is. Just look at DIY SOS to see how people can do the impossible.
Your a great guy and your skills are excellent, but don't let your heart overrule your business needs by too much.
Toyo SS Catback
SS Strakes
Custom Sat Nav 3 Gauge install
Meister Zeta R Coilovers
Whiteline ARBs F&R
Slotted & Dimpled Discs F&R
Mintex 1144 Pads F&R
Full OE Aero Kit
Revolution Alloy Front Strut Brace
Lockwood SS Grills
Passenger Footrest
Lambo doors
Original engine 86000 smiles (169.7 rwhp) and then it died!
Own build Steet ported engine fitted Feb 2018 and running sweet as nut

13Black
Forum Trader
Forum Trader

Post by 13Black » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:29 pm

About time I updated this I guess for anyone interested.

Sadly, the evening of that last post, the customer passed away at home.
I was kindly invited to the funeral down on the south coast where I discovered what a great man he was from the short history told at the service. I'm usually quite reserved at funerals even for family members but for whatever reason, I really wasn't on this occasion. Without a doubt the most upset I'd been in a while.

I met the rest of the family and the other chap who's sorting out the rest of the vehicle for the first time and discussed various parts of the project.
After that it was a case of trying to push on as much as possible.
Finally, after much pestering, the supplier produced something after I informed them of the customer's passing. The excitement was short lived as they'd made a cock up of, well, most of it, so what I had was only really for mocking-up purposes.
I dropped off what I could with the rest of the vehicle and took some of the other bits back to the engineering firm. They understood and said they'd make it properly.

Again, more months passed of what felt like being fobbed off by this firm and having to try to be positive to the family etc that I am being told it's on the way.
Eventually I was called up and asked if I could bring one of the parts back to them... which was weird as they still had the drawings that they originally worked to. I took a day off work to collect the part, drop it off, and drop another small job off with them and said not to start it until this old job was sorted.
Of course, they went ahead and finished the latest project for me to collect, the other one still not started. That took longer than I wanted as well, I would have been better off machining it myself in hindsight.
Maybe a few weeks later I'm called up by the firm to say that they've yet again made a slight cock-up of what is a simple bit of machining. If I wanted it to be as per the drawing, I'd have to wait weeks (so extrapolate that into how long it would have actually taken...) as they didn't have any more of the material in stock and he was going away on holiday. Fine, it'll have to do, finish it off and I'll collect it Tuesday...

After a bit of work finishing the parts off, with a great sigh I can finally say that the parts are back with the vehicle and the rest of the work can commence again.

Although this isn't the end of my involvement with the project, it is at least concludes what has been the longest, most frustrating and emotional contracts I've had... for what has actually been quite a small amount of physical work on my part.
I plan on cutting all ties with the supplier as no one can work with these kinds of delays, I will have to ensure that as much of the work stays in my control in the future. And I am very grateful to the rest of the people involved in the project for being so very patient and understanding.

On that note, in the spirit of the original post I'd just like to announce that the next 2 weeks (until 19th March) I am going to be flat-out getting other projects out of the way as the deadlines are now very close after the workload and delay I've had.

After that, business as usual I should think.
Nick

13Black
Forum Trader
Forum Trader

Post by 13Black » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:08 am

Hey guys. In case anyone tries to get hold of me, I'm currently away for a week. Back on Thursday night, 14th :)

Return to “13Black Rotorsport”