Good Info for future Lemans trips

Past events that the Club & Members have attended. Read-only.
BIGWITHEY
Club Member
Club Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by BIGWITHEY » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:12 pm

Right here we go again .....
This is what I think we'll be doing in June next year:

I suggest that rather than stop overnight in Kent on the Wed night we cross and stay in France, that will give us an easier day on Thurs and should get us into Le Mans earlier and we'll be returning on Mon 16th.

Speedferries are quoting £63 return for the Wed (10.45 crossing) and the Thurs with return on the Mon(17.10), although this will definitely increase the nearer we get to June.

We'll be booking camping /entrance tickets with Speedchills for the 3rd year and this year they're working on a reserved camping area, this'll be confirmed along with prices early in the new year.

So if you're up for the 3rd club invasion of La Sarthe get your fingers out and book your ferry :wink:

Le Mans 24hr 14-15 June 08 ** Who's going, who's booked **
Le Mans 24hr 14-15 June 08 ** Questions/discussion **
Former Club Chairman
Former Events Coordinator
PZ,GG, SS Strakes, Tints, R B Exhaust, K&N Filter and Bonnet Stays.
190 Strato gone but not forgotten.
'08 Applecross Tug of War Winning Team Member

BIGWITHEY
Club Member
Club Member

I've booked the 10.45 out on the 11 June and the 17.10 return on the 16th. The price has already gone up to £78, £28 out £50 back, although it's still cheaper than any other crossing.
Former Club Chairman

BIGWITHEY
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Le Mans 24hr 14-15 June 08 ** Details **

Latest Camping Details/Prices

Those of you that went last year should have had the e-mail from Speedchills by now but for those of you that haven't and to explain what I propose please see below:

Ok a little background info, camping on the Beausejour campsite in 2006 was great the only checks were at the gate and you could pitch pretty much anywhere on the site that you fancied, the toilets and showers were cleaned by local women that sat outside for about 16hrs a day and would clean them pretty much after every person used them, so basic but clean.

2007, not so good we now had "professional" security on the site so people were told where to pitch and how much space they could have, I suppose it was needed as the ACO are developing the main circuit area and some of the camp sites closer to the start were smaller due to building work, also the toilets were now being cleaned by contractors that came around every 3/4 hours to clean them which was ok if you used them just after they were cleaned but not so good if it had been 4hrs since the last clean!

2008, Again more development at the main area means 2 of the larger sites will be smaller, Maison Blanche will have numbered (35m2) spaces for the first time and Houx Annexe will be much smaller in overall size as a result of the tram and building projects already well underway also Beausejour will be broken into two areas, a zone with 105m2 areas, and a zone with smaller 35m2 plots.
All this means that all campsites will be busier and the ACO will be trying to get as many on the sites as they can, so the days of huge pitches with paddling pools a large marques won't be happening this year.

As a result of last years "issues" at BSJ Speedchills have arranged a secure fenced off camping area CAMP CREATION within BSJ with Marked, Pre-Allocated Marked Pitches and dedicated exclusive toilets/showers.
I've been in contact with S/chills for a few months while they've been sorting this out and the deal we've got at this stage is:

The cost for the 5 nights, Wed - Mon will be £129 per car for camping, £30pp for the Speedchills membership and £45pp for the Race tickets.
* A dedicated RX8OC area
* No need to buy 2 x Club Membership if you're on your own
* Everyone gets the £30 cost for club membership.

I appreciate that this is more than we paid last year but with all the stuff going on I feel it's not a bad deal but I'm open to any suggestion, thoughts or requests.
Former Club Chairman

BIGWITHEY
Club Member
Club Member

Post by BIGWITHEY » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:13 pm

Hints, Tips and Info

Here are some tips on how to make sure you are legal whilst driving in France

Compulsory

A valid full driving licence (not provisional), with paper counterpart if you have a photocard licence
The original vehicle registration document
Your motor insurance certificate
( I personally would also take copies of all the above and only present the originals as a last resort :wink: )
Your passport
European insurance cover (it's a good idea to get one of your passengers insured too just in case)
You should show a GB sticker on your car, or have Euro-plates (number plates that include the GB euro-symbol).
Headlights - technically, these should be adjusted or have a mask fitted for driving on the right hand side.
Spare set of bulbs - you can be fined if you can't replace a faulty bulb on request.
Warning triangle

Illegal
Police radar detection devices
Not wearing a seat-belt

Things worth taking
Reflective waistcoat/jacket - not compulsory for France - but probably worth taking - might even save your life!
If you have breakdown cover for Europe then carry your card on some policies you have to notify the service provider (AA/RAC/Green Flag etc.) every time you travel
A European Health Insurance Card would be worth taking, they're free and can be applied for online here and most importantly cover us in France.
Carry your annual Travel/Health insurance policy if you have one.
Maps (route is easy and the last person I knew that relied on sat-nav got lost in both directions!)
Speeding fine money!
Spare set of car keys, imagine being in France and losing the only set you have or even locking them in the car ... you know who you are :wink:

Speed limits
Motorway - 130kmh/80mph (110kmh/68mph when wet)
Open Road - 90kmh/55mph
Town - 50kmh/31mph

If you get caught driving more than 25km/h over the speed limit you could find yourself hitching a lift home or sitting in the passenger seat - the police in France can take away your license on the spot for this offence!

Alcohol limits - 0.25mg/l

Camping Essentials

Toilet roll
Tent
Airbed with repair kit
Personal Radio for Radio Le Mans to keep track of the race wherever you are
Torch
Lantern
Tickets, Camping Pass etc
Specs and spare contact lenses (and solution)
Radio
Sunnies (it should be hot) Image
Sun lotion
Wet Weather Gear (it could be wet) Image
Anti mozzie spray
Fold up chair
A sleeping bag
A £15 gazeebo fromArgos is well worth the investment. Not only can you use it in case of rain but also as shelter from the sun and you can leave it behind.
Cheap BBQ .. again it can be left behind
An insulated cool box you can fill with ice to cool the beers and also to store any perishable foodstuffs
Cigarettes if you are that way inclined
Nurofen/Alka Seltzer Image
Free Club Lanyard / Ticket Holder - for keeping your ticket safe so it doesn't mutate into sweaty 'merde'
Sense of Humour!!!

Weather info

All information on this page is provided as a service. It is only intended as a guide to the more important rules for driving in France. It is not meant to be a comprehensive document. I'll try and keep the information on this page up-to-date, but cannot be held responsible in any way for any consequences arising from inaccuracies. If you find a mistake or would like to post some additional information, please pm me. Your co-operation is appreciated.

J.
Former Club Chairman

BIGWITHEY
Club Member
Club Member

This is the route from the north of Le mans to the campsite, the chances are that the N138 Mulsanne Straight will be closed on Wed afternoon so this route is the easiest, you follow the N138 Tours signs through town and you'll then do a left at some lights and climb a hill. As you start to go down you'll come to a large new roundabout where the N138/Mulsanne straight begins. This is where it'll be closed and can be a little tricky, turn left and take the immediate right that looks like a small lane, at the bottom (200yds) turn right again. From here the map is pretty clear.
If the N138 is open then just drive south and turn right at the second roundabout ( McDonalds) and the camp site is on the left.

Former Club Chairman

BIGWITHEY
Club Member
Club Member

Route from Boulogne to the Beausejour Campsite (click the search button on the map)
Former Club Chairman

BIGWITHEY
Club Member
Club Member

General Le Mans info map

Thanks to a PistonHeads member :wink:
Former Club Chairman

HypoThermia
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: R3
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by HypoThermia » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:18 pm

This post was recovered from the backup after it was deleted - it contains useful information that will benefit future Le Mans events organisation :wink:

Ian.
(Former Chairman, Membership Secretary, and long time Admin)
R3 Aurora Blue Mica - Racing Brake calipers, rotors and steel brake lines - Racing Beat exhaust - TARGA2 sensors - Lockwood grilles - blue LEDs - side and fog light upgrades - window tints - Eibach spacers
And still three gears left...

Chris231
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Chris231 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:15 pm

Ian, I thought I was going mad when I saw this. #-o :wink:
Titanium Grey, bling wheels (set number 6) Now gone but will never be forgotten, sat nav, I-mob tracking, SS Strakes, full set of RB grills, K&N Filter and Borla zorst. Now lowered.

Just ask me where anything is, it will be in the boot!!

Now she's "the reasonably priced car is the star" as driven by Jason Plato on Fifth Gear. :notworthy:

Looked after by Rotaryrevs

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: Good Info for future Lemans trips

Post by warpc0il » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:09 am

Changed from Announcement to Sticky and Unlocked, to encourage updates as this information is now 3 years old.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

Return to “The Vault”