R3 + tall driver + helmet

R1DSO
Club Member
Club Member

Re: R3 + tall driver + helmet

Post by R1DSO » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:52 am

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:30 pm
When you park up after a track session leave the car in gear. Do not apply the handbrake as you are clamping to very hot discs.
Read about this one from one of the stickies, thanks Chris :thumright:. Glad to have picked up this tip to avoid a seized disc on the day!
Racing Beat REVi ram air duct
K&N panel filter
Suffix C genuine Mazda coils
Magnecor leads
Racing Beat header
Racing Beat mid pipe with 200 cell high flow cat
Ryan Rotary Performance engine mounts
Heel/toe pedal mod

R1DSO
Club Member
Club Member

Post by R1DSO » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:07 pm

New Duke wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:11 am
I'm sure you know this but there's also no need to stay out until the pads fade. If you come in after 5 laps for example, everything will be that much cooler and you can get back on track sooner.

Good thing that it's the evening session. Still looks an impressive 26 C at 6pm :shock: It's the heat soak from the engine and transmission that makes it scorching. That warmth from the cup holders turns hot and the entire dashboard radiates heat from the engine bay. I lost a stereo headunit to engine heat soak on a 30 C track day :(

I'll be in cooling off in the pool in our garden wishing you well :D
I'm going to be missing my aircon :shock:. I'll probably have it on when queuing to get out of the pit lane etc. to try and keep the sweat at bay. I thought the track marshals didn't like you having your windows open, but hopefully I can get away with the rears and then crack the fronts open a little when under way.

I know you can put the car's cabin heater on to pull some temperature away from the engine, but I don't think I fancy that idea. Especially as I understand you can't wear shorts. I'm going to be jealous of you in that pool :lol:.

My concern about going out for less laps is that, I believe, the session is fully subscribed. I'm therefore assuming there will be a fair bit of pit lane queueing involved to get on track between runs and I know how much our rotaries warm up sitting at idle!

However, I would definitely rather avoid brake fade. So, if that means a cycle of 5 laps followed by 10 mins cooldown, then so be it :). The session is on the shorter Brands Hatch Indy circuit, so circa 1min per lap, incidentally.

One thing I do need to think about is that my OBD Link MX+ drops its connection whenever anything else goes over Bluetooth. I'm mostly using Dashcommand, but it seems to be a hardware limitation as my other OBDII apps are doing the same. I wanted to be on a continuous Bluetooth call to communicate with my mate in his car (a TT), but may have to park this idea.
K&N panel filter
Magnecor leads
Racing Beat header
Heel/toe pedal mod

R1DSO
Club Member
Club Member

Post by R1DSO » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:11 pm

warpc0il wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:28 am
I strongly recommend leaving the DSC enabled but be aware, if you're over-heavy with the throttle and lean on the DSC a lot to keep you out of trouble, then this also uses the brakes (on individual wheels) to keep the car in line.

Having the DSC light blink occasionally is a good indication that you're driving on (rather than over) the limit.
That is very good to know, thanks Dave :thumleft:. Sounds like I need to try and avoid too much DSC activation to keep my brake temps down.

As much as I want to try drifting around a few corners, I expect the marshals won't be too happy with this either [-X. I'll be sensible and keep the DSC on, at least for this first track outing in the RX-8.
K&N panel filter
Magnecor leads
Racing Beat header
Heel/toe pedal mod

Ainmhidh
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Ainmhidh » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:18 pm

Track days I've been to there were specific instructions about deliberate drifting getting you pulled off the track. They've also generally said that a crack open on the windows was okay as long as they were mostly closed, so an inch or two for air should be fine.
These users thanked the author Ainmhidh for the post:
R1DSO (Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:00 pm)
Alan | Membership Secretary | 2010 R3 | stock apart from a couple of dings and scrapes! (Black diamond discs, yellow stuff pads, RR d585s, Magnecor leads...)

R1DSO
Club Member
Club Member

Post by R1DSO » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:00 pm

Ainmhidh wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:18 pm
Track days I've been to there were specific instructions about deliberate drifting getting you pulled off the track. They've also generally said that a crack open on the windows was okay as long as they were mostly closed, so an inch or two for air should be fine.
I thought that might be the case with drifting :(.

Good news on the windows - thanks for the intel. I still think I’m going to need to take a change of clothes :lol:.
K&N panel filter
Magnecor leads
Racing Beat header
Heel/toe pedal mod

Ainmhidh
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Ainmhidh » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:21 pm

seems likely - remember you need arms and legs covered whilst on track too, so that helps with being too warm...
These users thanked the author Ainmhidh for the post:
R1DSO (Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:54 pm)
Alan | Membership Secretary | 2010 R3 | stock apart from a couple of dings and scrapes! (Black diamond discs, yellow stuff pads, RR d585s, Magnecor leads...)

R1DSO
Club Member
Club Member

Post by R1DSO » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:54 pm

Ainmhidh wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:21 pm
seems likely - remember you need arms and legs covered whilst on track too, so that helps with being too warm...
I thought covering arms was only a requirement on a convertible, but I was going to bring something long sleeved just in case. It’s going to get sweaty :coolant:.
K&N panel filter
Magnecor leads
Racing Beat header
Heel/toe pedal mod

nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by nightfire10 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:31 pm

Arms and legs have to be covered for track days

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author nightfire10 for the post:
R1DSO (Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:48 pm)
Hayward's Street/bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers edfc Racingbeat rear anti roll bar oil pres oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front rear grills,Tinted wind ws folding tow hook's,595s,connect2
To do install sohn tank bracket made but still need to get time to install,caliper painting :thumright:
180 of 400

R1DSO
Club Member
Club Member

Post by R1DSO » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:48 pm

nightfire10 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:31 pm
Arms and legs have to be covered for track days

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
Got it, thanks :thumleft:. I picked up a ridiculous long sleeve floaty shirt thing in Mexico a couple of years back (think Richard Attenborough in Jurassic Park), which should do the job in the heat.

Right, I’ve got my helmet, torque wrench/wheel and locking wheel nut sockets, tyre pump, 1l engine oil + tissue and 3 shots of premix packed.

I’m thinking I’ll leave my brake fluid at home. I’m assuming the fluid can’t go down that much with pad wear in a 2.5 hours session :-k. I also only have a big 5l bottle from when I replaced and bled the breaks a few weeks ago which I rather not take unless necessary.
K&N panel filter
Magnecor leads
Racing Beat header
Heel/toe pedal mod

GreySilver Beast
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

R3 + tall driver + helmet

Post by GreySilver Beast » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:10 pm

It's actually up to the discretion of the Track Operator and Circuit Organiser depending on the weather etc..... :P

For instances when we did Snetterton 300 last week, MSVT relaxed the rules for closed cars that had Door Cards fitted and we therefore could wear Shortsleeve Shirts in our cars =D>

Events Team
These users thanked the author GreySilver Beast for the post (total 2):
New Duke (Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:31 pm) • R1DSO (Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:45 pm)
GSB-TDU - Committee - Events Coordinator & Events Team Admin
RX-8OC Club Calendar
NPT Website
GSB III 03/08/13 - Present

R1DSO
Club Member
Club Member

Post by R1DSO » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:46 pm

GreySilver Beast wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:10 pm
It's actually up to the discretion of the Track Operator and Circuit Organiser depending on the weather etc..... :P

For instances when we did Snetterton 300 last week, MSVT relaxed the rules for closed cars that had Door Cards fitted and we therefore could wear Shortsleeve Shirts in our cars =D>

Events Team
That’s good to know, thanks :thumleft:. Here’s hoping for a sympathetic track operator [-o<.
K&N panel filter
Magnecor leads
Racing Beat header
Heel/toe pedal mod

Return to “Trackday Information & FAQ's”