Track tyres....

Markl17
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Stormy Blue

Re: Track tyres....

Post by Markl17 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:21 pm

I used Michelin pilot sport 3 as my first track day tyre and they were a very good all round tyre they coped with a very wet spa no problem,they also did 10000 road mile,I am now using federals on track and Michelin on the road.
But tyres are a very subjective issue and how you like the car to feel.
Mark

Dr. FrankenRex
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:35 am

As others have said, unless you're doing a large number of track days or have spare wheels then I'd go for a decent road tyre. It will let you get to know the car and the likelihood of you putting too much heat through them is pretty slim if you're still learning the ropes.

If you get bitten by the bug then look at some more track focussed rubber in the future :thumleft:
FrankenRex2, leaner and meaner. RR Full Bridge rebuild with Race Extension porting, Cusco Strut Brace, RB Header, RB Dual Res Decat, Pettit Catback, Eibach lowering springs, Maserati 6 pot brakes, braided brake lines, custom built DRLs, track wheels, Custom front and rear lights, braided clutch line, RB ARBs - the list goes on!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg

MightyCondor
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by MightyCondor » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:52 am

I would say the chance of overheating a road tyre depends both on brand and conditions. If you're tracking on a hot summers day, then it's more likely they'll get cooked quickly. However I've managed to overheat Avon ZZ5 road tyres on a wet March day, so I would suggest something like a Michelin PS4S for a do it all tyre that will hopefully stand up to track work.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Return to “Trackday Information & FAQ's”