TRACKDAY : Tyres (for 18" wheels)

Equipment that may be needed plus general information on track days.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: Track Day Tyres (for 18

Post by warpc0il »

mrspiller wrote:I lust admit...
Freudian slip ;)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Copper Red

Re: Track Day Tyres (for 18" wheels)

Post by mrspiller »

warpc0il wrote:
mrspiller wrote:I lust admit...
Freudian slip ;)
Wooooow where the hell has that come from .......ImageImageImagebloody phone never locks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

Thread ressurection time, but I have found the below tyres for a very good price compared to the Federals and Nankangs, has anyone tried them?

For the price I might just be a guineapig and provide some feedback.

http://www.vipmotorsport.co.uk/Westlake ... -235-40-18
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
Eddie_r32
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Eddie_r32 »

They are cheap! Equivalent rsr are about 50 quid more, that's a good saving if they are any good
2007 Galaxy grey 231.
RRP Parts: Full bridge, long tube header, cofs + tanks, pulleys, engine mounts, oil injectors, remap, race cat.
Other: Greddy sump, Autoexe exhaust, autoexe brake brace, ingalls engine brace, ultra racing f+r strut brace, hsd coilovers, whiteline Arbs, 4 pot brakes, r3 Diff, r3 interior and lots more
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

That's why I'm thinking it might be worth being a guineapig...
DOC 787B

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

untakenname
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by untakenname »

Federal 595 RSR are a tenner more at camskill in 225/40/18, shame all the deals went, a couple of years ago you could get 18" RSR's for £60 :(
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

I went for a set of AD08Rs in the end as got a deal on a set from a chap breaking his car that have only done one track day.

Will provide feedback once I've taken them on track :P
DOC 787B

Eddie_r32
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Eddie_r32 »

I have had a fair few cars with ad08r's you will love them, great tyres
2007 Galaxy grey 231.
RRP Parts: Full bridge, long tube header, cofs + tanks, pulleys, engine mounts, oil injectors, remap, race cat.
Other: Greddy sump, Autoexe exhaust, autoexe brake brace, ingalls engine brace, ultra racing f+r strut brace, hsd coilovers, whiteline Arbs, 4 pot brakes, r3 Diff, r3 interior and lots more
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

Just a bit of an update on this if people are in the same boat. The AD08Rs were a great tyre and stood up to punishment really really well.

I have no got myself an as-new set of NS2Rs which will be going on for the Blyton Park sprint. I shall update people when I have tried them out :D
DOC 787B

Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member

Track tyres....

Post by Ranjan »

As I have some spare time and am bored; thought I would just do a quick review of track tyres I have used recently.

Please bear in mind that these are my own impressions under my own particular driving style and is not meant to be a definite assessment; please feel free to comment both positive and negative as all feedback is good. Also add to the list tyres you have experienced.

I will indicate whether they are Category A (more road) or B (more track).

Ok in no particular order.

Pirelli Trofeo R – in my opinion the best track day tyre currently made; really amazing levels of grip and the only tyre I have never managed to overheat; does take a couple of laps to get heat into the tyre. BUT they are terrible on the road as they don’t heat up and they hate rain. Category B.

Nankang AR-1 – This was a surprise how good this tyre was; heated up really quick and then provided great levels of grip and took a 25 minute hard session at Snetterton before some overheating was felt. Category B.

Nankang NS-2R – Now that one cannot buy the track compound performance has fallen away dramatically. Not bad for the money if you are on a budget but I cannot really recommend them anymore. Category A.

Dunlop Direzza 03G – A very close second to the Trofeo, amazing levels of grip once warm. They take a little more time warm up but they last ages before overheating. I like this tyre a lot but another tyre that does not like rain. Category B.

Federal 595 RS-R – A great budget tyre in it’s day but now getting completely outclassed by similarly priced rivals. I was 2 seconds a lap slower on these in my RX8 when compared to the AD08R at Brands Indy. Category A.

Yokohama AD08R – Brilliant budget tyre superb on track considering how cheap they are. Gave me loads of confidence mid corner and into the braking zones. Category A.

Toyo R888R – A great tyre with great grip levels but I found they overheated on me quicker than the AR-1s but they were slightly better in wet conditions. Last ages before wearing out; good value for money. Category B.

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 – The best all round tyre, in my opinion, for driving to track, having a blast then driving back home safely. Just bought a set for the RX8. Did a whole session at Spa in a 911 and kept up (just about) with better shod 911s. Category A.

Ranjan.
These users thanked the author Ranjan for the post (total 10):
warpc0il (Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:38 pm) • Mpv2k3 (Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:01 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:09 pm) • MightyCondor (Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:53 pm) • Boston Rotary (Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:41 pm) • mrspiller (Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:58 pm) • Ninja_Freak (Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:36 pm) • Keni_Williams (Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:26 am) • CraigS (Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:09 am) • brix79 (Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:02 am)
MightyCondor
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Re: Track tyres....

Post by MightyCondor »

Much appreciated feedback Ranjan.

There's a few on that list that I've been tempted to try next, both on my RX8 and RX7.

The last time I compared prices, there was a big premium to move up from Federals to AD08s or ÀR1s, so I would still maintain that Federals are the best value track tyre, even if the more expensive rivals are quicker

I currently use Federals as my only tyres on the RX7 and will be looking to replace them soon. Considering either AD08s or the new Goodyear Supersports which seem to be reviewing well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

Mod Bit: Moved thread to where it can do the most good and not get lost in the general chatter
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Boston Rotary (Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:42 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by nightfire10 »

Ranjan wrote:As I have some spare time and am bored; thought I would just do a quick review of track tyres I have used recently.

Please bear in mind that these are my own impressions under my own particular driving style and is not meant to be a definite assessment; please feel free to comment both positive and negative as all feedback is good. Also add to the list tyres you have experienced.

I will indicate whether they are Category A (more road) or B (more track).

Ok in no particular order.

Pirelli Trofeo R – in my opinion the best track day tyre currently made; really amazing levels of grip and the only tyre I have never managed to overheat; does take a couple of laps to get heat into the tyre. BUT they are terrible on the road as they don’t heat up and they hate rain. Category B.

Nankang AR-1 – This was a surprise how good this tyre was; heated up really quick and then provided great levels of grip and took a 25 minute hard session at Snetterton before some overheating was felt. Category B.

Nankang NS-2R – Now that one cannot buy the track compound performance has fallen away dramatically. Not bad for the money if you are on a budget but I cannot really recommend them anymore. Category A.

Dunlop Direzza 03G – A very close second to the Trofeo, amazing levels of grip once warm. They take a little more time warm up but they last ages before overheating. I like this tyre a lot but another tyre that does not like rain. Category B.

Federal 595 RS-R – A great budget tyre in it’s day but now getting completely outclassed by similarly priced rivals. I was 2 seconds a lap slower on these in my RX8 when compared to the AD08R at Brands Indy. Category A.

Yokohama AD08R – Brilliant budget tyre superb on track considering how cheap they are. Gave me loads of confidence mid corner and into the braking zones. Category A.

Toyo R888R – A great tyre with great grip levels but I found they overheated on me quicker than the AR-1s but they were slightly better in wet conditions. Last ages before wearing out; good value for money. Category B.

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 – The best all round tyre, in my opinion, for driving to track, having a blast then driving back home safely. Just bought a set for the RX8. Did a whole session at Spa in a 911 and kept up (just about) with better shod 911s. Category A.

Ranjan.
Tried a few have we ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hayward's Street/bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers edfc Racingbeat rear anti roll bar oil pres oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front rear grills,Tinted wind ws folding tow hook's,595s,connect2 ,at long last sohn and ap50 tank instaled ,revi ram air duct already fitted ! calipers painted,diff oil changed .
just oil lines to fit at some stage ( had them a while too) :P

180 of 400
mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Copper Red

Post by mrspiller »

MightyCondor wrote:Much appreciated feedback Ranjan.

There's a few on that list that I've been tempted to try next, both on my RX8 and RX7.

The last time I compared prices, there was a big premium to move up from Federals to AD08s or ÀR1s, so I would still maintain that Federals are the best value track tyre, even if the more expensive rivals are quicker

I currently use Federals as my only tyres on the RX7 and will be looking to replace them soon. Considering either AD08s or the new Goodyear Supersports which seem to be reviewing well.

Ranjan
A well written guide which couldn’t have come at a better time for me .
If it’s dry I always use slicks , Ive used Dunlop - Michelin but Pirelli seems for me the best lasting and a bit stickier , I’ve had 888 on the car as a starter tyre For about 2 years , if its wet /damp they certainly get your arms working but manageable .
My 888 have seen so many heat cycles , after around 5-7 hot laps the arse really does fall out of them . I have looked this week on prices for replacements . The AR1 are around £200 per corner and the trofeo around £250 so not a huge difference

Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Ranjan »

MightyCondor wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:02 pm

Alan, where did see the price difference between the Federals and Yokos; when I got them they were both around the £80 to £100 mark.

Ranjan.
Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Ranjan »

Thank you Dave, I have never seen this section on the forum #-o

Ranjan.
Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Ranjan »

mrspiller wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:15 pm
MightyCondor wrote:
The AR1 are around £200 per corner and the trofeo around £250 so not a huge difference

Wayne,

Try the Dunlop D03Gs on the RX8 rather than the Trofeos which suit the heavier supercars better.

Ranjan.
MightyCondor
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by MightyCondor »

Ranjan wrote:
MightyCondor wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:02 pm

Alan, where did see the price difference between the Federals and Yokos; when I got them they were both around the £80 to £100 mark.

Ranjan.
I admit that it's probably been nearly a year since I last checked, but I'm used to the Yokos being nearer £150 a corner. If they really can be had for ~£100 now then that's a revelation to me Image

New Duke
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

Keep in mind that the Federal 595 RS-R are available in 2 different compounds and the softer compound of the two costs about £50 more per tyre right now on Camskill. The soft should be faster too.

Thanks for the review Ranjan.
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Diamond Grey

Post by Mpv2k3 »

Does anyone know what is the difference between Ad08R and Ad08RS?

The AD08RS Are approximately £70 more expensive than the Ad08r.

Also the AD08R come in two different noise db levels. 70db or 75db

Do they come in different compounds? I didn't think they did.

what ones to people normally use?
Diamond Grey 2009 Mazda Rx8 R3 - Owned since June 2012
K&N Panel filter>D585-R Ignition Coil Kit>BHR Engine Mounts>Lockwood Front Grilles>Mintex M1144 brake pads>RacingBrake braided brake lines>Black Diamond G12 Grooved Brake Disc Front & Rear>Eibach Spacer's front 15mm, rear 15mm>4-Pot Front Brake >RacingBeat ARB's
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Mpv2k3 (Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:03 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Diamond Grey

Post by Mpv2k3 »

Cheers,

I'll stick with the AD08R for now then
Diamond Grey 2009 Mazda Rx8 R3 - Owned since June 2012
K&N Panel filter>D585-R Ignition Coil Kit>BHR Engine Mounts>Lockwood Front Grilles>Mintex M1144 brake pads>RacingBrake braided brake lines>Black Diamond G12 Grooved Brake Disc Front & Rear>Eibach Spacer's front 15mm, rear 15mm>4-Pot Front Brake >RacingBeat ARB's
benedwards64
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by benedwards64 »

Interesting reading. I've been running a set of older R888s and a couple of sets of newer R888Rs recently (as track-day and sprint tyres respectively). The R888Rs are noticeably quicker - 3 seconds around Kendrew, for example - but really don't cope well with heat I've found. Fine for a sprint car, but given we're double driving at events we often find the first driver has the advantage with cooler tyres. The older R888s are much more consistent, and have dealt with 20-minute hard trackday sessions with no apparent loss of grip.

I've just picked up a set of Yoko Advan A052s, so will update this (if it's ok to hijack?) in a couple of weeks when we've had a chance to try them :)
Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Ranjan »

Ben,

Please hijack away, the whole point of starting this topic.
I thought all you Sprint guys were using the AR-1s now?

Ranjan.
benedwards64
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by benedwards64 »

There's quite a mix in the paddock - never used AR-1s myself, but quite a few use them and are impressed.

Return to “Trackday Information & FAQ's”