TRACKDAY : Tyres (for 18" wheels)

Equipment that may be needed plus general information on track days.
Markl17
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Stormy Blue

Re: Track tyres....

Post by Markl17 »

I used Michelin pilot sport 3 as my first track day tyre and they were a very good all round tyre they coped with a very wet spa no problem,they also did 10000 road mile,I am now using federals on track and Michelin on the road.
But tyres are a very subjective issue and how you like the car to feel.
Mark
These users thanked the author Markl17 for the post:
Barry John (Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:59 pm)
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

As others have said, unless you're doing a large number of track days or have spare wheels then I'd go for a decent road tyre. It will let you get to know the car and the likelihood of you putting too much heat through them is pretty slim if you're still learning the ropes.

If you get bitten by the bug then look at some more track focussed rubber in the future :thumleft:
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
MightyCondor
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by MightyCondor »

I would say the chance of overheating a road tyre depends both on brand and conditions. If you're tracking on a hot summers day, then it's more likely they'll get cooked quickly. However I've managed to overheat Avon ZZ5 road tyres on a wet March day, so I would suggest something like a Michelin PS4S for a do it all tyre that will hopefully stand up to track work.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author MightyCondor for the post:
Barry John (Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:59 pm)
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex »

For those of you who use Federal 595 RSR's on track. Would you have any idea how long they last ( years ) when stored in a garage and used occasionally ?

The reason I ask is that I have some that came with my spare PZ alloys. They have been used ( I assume track ) but look to still have plenty of tread. There are a few cracks in the tyre but sidewalls look ok. I'm assuming this is just from sitting around in a garage. They were manufactured in late 2015 by the sidewall numbering and are over 5 years old now.

5 years would be the time I would look to change most tyres, regardless of tread. I am not really sure I want to test out the theory of whether they still good by testing them on track for the first time, so am tempted to just cut my losses and switch tyres. I don't want to waste perfectly good semi-slicks if they could still be usable though. Thoughts ?

Also a side note. I have rainsport 5's on at the mo, which I picked up in Dec, and seem to be fantastic in the wet and for aquaplaning but as it's now getting drier and warmer I am less enamored when I push the car a bit. I might have the wrong pressure though so will experiment. What pressure are people running them at for road driving ? Thx !!
New Duke
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke »

On our XF I run our Rainsport 5s at the stock pressure plus 5-10% depending on the weight load. That's a much heavier car they they've held up well booting it in 40 degree heat, so I'm sorry you've not had the same good experience.

Personally I'd be weary of using tyres made in 2015. My RSRs are aging alright (made in 2018), but not all wear is visible and I'm thinking of replacing mine next year.
Conan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Conan »

I think the name of the tyre says it all ( rainsports )
The first question would be ( when are you doing the track day and which circuit ) and have you been on track before ?
The way to keep tyres is cool and dark so it depends a lot on storage rather than age to an extent.
Cracks between the tread isn't the end of the world, just check the firmness of the tread compound with your finger nail etc.
You can get tyre softner from Demon Tweekes etc which would be good to do and give them several coats over a period of time, a little goes a long way.
Iv'e raced on old tyres before ;)
If its a hot day and you do a couple of warm up laps and build slowly it shouldn't be a problem.
Even a 10 year old tyre will perform on a hot day
Pete
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything
Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Ranjan »

:whathesaid:

Also, the 595 RSRs make a great summer tyre so swap them with the Rainsport.

Ranjan.
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex »

New Duke wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:27 pm
On our XF I run our Rainsport 5s at the stock pressure plus 5-10% depending on the weight load. That's a much heavier car they they've held up well booting it in 40 degree heat, so I'm sorry you've not had the same good experience.

Personally I'd be weary of using tyres made in 2015. My RSRs are aging alright (made in 2018), but not all wear is visible and I'm thinking of replacing mine next year.
Yeah I hear that there could be internal bits that can go or the rubber just gets old. I am not sure I want to test that at track speeds.

With the rainsports don't get me wrong they are ok, and unbelievable for aquaplaning but just don't seem to hold the road like my Bridgestones did. They were great over greasy winter and on track at Donington but now they seem to lose grip easily. Alot of people say go higher pressure so I'll try that but at Donington going lower was better. So I'll experiment and see if I can make them work. Alot of people rate them as a road tyre so maybe I'm missing a trick somewhere.
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex »

Conan wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:31 pm
I think the name of the tyre says it all ( rainsports )
The first question would be ( when are you doing the track day and which circuit ) and have you been on track before ?
The way to keep tyres is cool and dark so it depends a lot on storage rather than age to an extent.
Cracks between the tread isn't the end of the world, just check the firmness of the tread compound with your finger nail etc.
You can get tyre softner from Demon Tweekes etc which would be good to do and give them several coats over a period of time, a little goes a long way.
Iv'e raced on old tyres before ;)
If its a hot day and you do a couple of warm up laps and build slowly it shouldn't be a problem.
Even a 10 year old tyre will perform on a hot day
Pete
I got them in December as was going to Donington and thought it might be greasy. Then there was talk of it being dry so I panicked and when these came up I snapped them up. The rainsports ended up being used for the track that day so never used the federals yet. Track experience is bedford a few times, Donington and then the prodrive day when I bought the car. However many many years go karting and have done thruxton as an experience day.

Nothing in the calendar now track day wise as the kart championship is starting this weekend and the first few rounds are bunched up so a track day is not looking likely till Aug / Sep at least if I can get out even then. Would love to do Silverstone, especially after your epic vid of the PZ at Silverstone and really want to try semi slicks after everyone raves on about them.

Good to know about the tyre softener. I saw it on Demon Tweeks and good to know it's not just a gimmick. Am I just checking for general toughness with a fingernail? They should be softish still ?
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex »

Ranjan wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:15 pm
:whathesaid:

Also, the 595 RSRs make a great summer tyre so swap them with the Rainsport.

Ranjan.
Yeah30405 has them on his car now and raves on about them but I am being a big girls blouse and fear the first day I use them it'll be torrential and I'll slide into a ditch.

I think I just need to man up and use them in the summer as a track day is looking shaky at the mo and I really want to try these. This is my best chance I guess.

I'll probably get my spare alloys refurbed ( I can't find somewhere who does wet paint finish near me so I'm going to powdercoat from the same place that did my current set, sacrilege I know! ) and then use these in the summer. If I don't like them I currently have the new Potenza sport in my head.....

Here's hoping for a hot dry summer....
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex »

Thanks all for the responses. Sorry for the delay in responding, this afternoon has been a zoom fest and didn't have time for this more interesting stuff! I think summer tyres is the best bet I think, maybe with some tyre softener first. I still hope to get out to a track day with the club though fingers crossed
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 30405 »

Im going to come down there and fit them my self at this rate!
These users thanked the author 30405 for the post:
v-rex (Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:50 pm)
nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by nightfire10 »

The federals will be going on when I get to combe tomorrow been trying to wear them out for a while

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author nightfire10 for the post:
v-rex (Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:46 pm)
Hayward's Street/bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers edfc Racingbeat rear anti roll bar oil pres oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front rear grills,Tinted wind ws folding tow hook's,595s,connect2 ,at long last sohn and ap50 tank instaled ,revi ram air duct already fitted ! calipers painted,diff oil changed .
just oil lines to fit at some stage ( had them a while too) :P

180 of 400
Conan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Conan »

nightfire10 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:04 pm
The federals will be going on when I get to combe tomorrow been trying to wear them out for a while Image

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
Hi Steve,
If i'd known I would have tried to get down there to see you
Unfortunately I've got things on
Have a great day, the weather is going to be good and track temp will be high by late afternoon
Will have to catch up another day
Pete
These users thanked the author Conan for the post:
nightfire10 (Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:31 pm)

qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

v-rex wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:41 pm
Thanks all for the responses. Sorry for the delay in responding, this afternoon has been a zoom fest and didn't have time for this more interesting stuff! I think summer tyres is the best bet I think, maybe with some tyre softener first. I still hope to get out to a track day with the club though fingers crossed
come to castle combe with me in july! (almost) guaranteed to be dry and i would welcome the company :D
These users thanked the author qwakers for the post:
v-rex (Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:40 pm)
Conan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Conan »

qwakers wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:29 pm
v-rex wrote:
come to castle combe with me in july! (almost) guaranteed to be dry and i would welcome the company :D
That would be good,
I could come down as well even if I don't drive.
What are the details ?
pete

nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by nightfire10 »

Yep let us know what date

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Hayward's Street/bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers edfc Racingbeat rear anti roll bar oil pres oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front rear grills,Tinted wind ws folding tow hook's,595s,connect2 ,at long last sohn and ap50 tank instaled ,revi ram air duct already fitted ! calipers painted,diff oil changed .
just oil lines to fit at some stage ( had them a while too) :P

180 of 400
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Track tyres....

Post by GreySilver Beast »

The trackday James is driving on the 6th July, is now Sold Out :!: - Events Team
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by qwakers »

https://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/trac ... y/CC060721
looks like i got in just in time, as i booked this morning, and its now sold out!

edit: too slow, nigel beat me! :mrgreen:

however, i could be persuaded to share my car, providing your legs are the same length as mine!
These users thanked the author qwakers for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:39 pm)
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex »

qwakers wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:29 pm
v-rex wrote:
Ok looks like this is booked out but I have almost 3 karting events in July ( Glan-y-Gors near Snowdonia, Rye House in Hertfordshire and Ellough Park near Norwich ). I think August looks a bit better ... I'll have to find an event and get on it quick. Seems these track days are very popular, after everyone has been locked up for so long.
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex »

qwakers wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:39 pm
looks like i got in just in time, as i booked this morning, and its now sold out!

however, i could be persuaded to share my car, providing your legs are the same length as mine!
hmmm, how tall are you ? Near 6 ft perchance ?
Conan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Conan »

qwakers wrote:

If it sold out today then someone grab a reserve place and you'll almost definately get in as some won't have their car ready in time

qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by qwakers »

v-rex wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:46 pm
qwakers wrote:

5'9"
v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex »

qwakers wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:48 pm
v-rex wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:46 pm
qwakers wrote:

5'9"
Might require an adjustment. Or me to drive with my knees up....

I think thanks for the offer, I'd love to come but as I'll be up at GYG for the 4th July, I don't think I'll have the energy for the following tuesday for Combe.

However do look forward to coming out to another trackday and meeting you and others, especially if we can all meet up and talk more freely post lockdown rules. I quite enjoyed Donington and meeting everyone and even better if we can all have lunch together and talk more openly.
These users thanked the author v-rex for the post:
qwakers (Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:55 pm)
bc-49
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by bc-49 »

We’ve got a thread running for Silverstone GP 2nd November, sounds right up your street!

Over 10 people paid up so far so plenty of reference and lots of chat to be had, it’s shaping up to be a good one.

What karting are you doing, Club 100?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author bc-49 for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:28 pm)
2006 Galaxy Grey 231

Nankang NS-2R | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Eibach 20mm Spacers | EBC Discs + Bluestuff Pads | Racing Beat REV8 Catback + High Flow Cat | BHR Ignition | K&N Filter | Koyo Rad | Mishimoto Thermostat | Greddy Sump with ER Lines | Lockwood Grills

Return to “Trackday Information & FAQ's”