Track tyres....

User avatar
Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:57 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red
Location: Kyoto, Japan.
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Track tyres....

Post by Ranjan » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:46 am

As I have some spare time and am bored; thought I would just do a quick review of track tyres I have used recently.

Please bear in mind that these are my own impressions under my own particular driving style and is not meant to be a definite assessment; please feel free to comment both positive and negative as all feedback is good. Also add to the list tyres you have experienced.

I will indicate whether they are Category A (more road) or B (more track).

Ok in no particular order.

Pirelli Trofeo R – in my opinion the best track day tyre currently made; really amazing levels of grip and the only tyre I have never managed to overheat; does take a couple of laps to get heat into the tyre. BUT they are terrible on the road as they don’t heat up and they hate rain. Category B.

Nankang AR-1 – This was a surprise how good this tyre was; heated up really quick and then provided great levels of grip and took a 25 minute hard session at Snetterton before some overheating was felt. Category B.

Nankang NS-2R – Now that one cannot buy the track compound performance has fallen away dramatically. Not bad for the money if you are on a budget but I cannot really recommend them anymore. Category A.

Dunlop Direzza 03G – A very close second to the Trofeo, amazing levels of grip once warm. They take a little more time warm up but they last ages before overheating. I like this tyre a lot but another tyre that does not like rain. Category B.

Federal 595 RS-R – A great budget tyre in it’s day but now getting completely outclassed by similarly priced rivals. I was 2 seconds a lap slower on these in my RX8 when compared to the AD08R at Brands Indy. Category A.

Yokohama AD08R – Brilliant budget tyre superb on track considering how cheap they are. Gave me loads of confidence mid corner and into the braking zones. Category A.

Toyo R888R – A great tyre with great grip levels but I found they overheated on me quicker than the AR-1s but they were slightly better in wet conditions. Last ages before wearing out; good value for money. Category B.

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 – The best all round tyre, in my opinion, for driving to track, having a blast then driving back home safely. Just bought a set for the RX8. Did a whole session at Spa in a 911 and kept up (just about) with better shod 911s. Category A.

Ranjan.
These users thanked the author Ranjan for the post (total 10):
warpc0il (Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:38 pm) • Mpv2k3 (Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:01 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:09 pm) • MightyCondor (Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:53 pm) • bigpete (Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:41 pm) • mrspiller (Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:58 pm) • Ninja_Freak (Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:36 pm) • Keni_Williams (Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:26 am) • CraigS (Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:09 am) • brix79 (Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:02 am)

User avatar
MightyCondor
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 717
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:14 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver
Location: Reading, Berks
Has thanked: 110 times
Been thanked: 184 times

Re: Track tyres....

Post by MightyCondor » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:02 pm

Much appreciated feedback Ranjan.

There's a few on that list that I've been tempted to try next, both on my RX8 and RX7.

The last time I compared prices, there was a big premium to move up from Federals to AD08s or ÀR1s, so I would still maintain that Federals are the best value track tyre, even if the more expensive rivals are quicker

I currently use Federals as my only tyres on the RX7 and will be looking to replace them soon. Considering either AD08s or the new Goodyear Supersports which seem to be reviewing well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2004 Sunlight Silver 231 Impulsive Panic Buy Rotary Shed & lesser seen RX-7 FD3s
2005 Winning Blue 231 - Loved and set free (sold) :(
2004 Winning Blue 231 - Lost at the hands of a careless BMW driver

User avatar
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Posts: 21600
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:56 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow
Location: Groomsport, Co Down, NI
Has thanked: 293 times
Been thanked: 1077 times
Contact:

Re: Track tyres....

Post by warpc0il » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:07 pm

Mod Bit: Moved thread to where it can do the most good and not get lost in the general chatter
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
bigpete (Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:42 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

User avatar
nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 2582
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:11 pm
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White
Location: poole dorset
Has thanked: 597 times
Been thanked: 240 times

Re: Track tyres....

Post by nightfire10 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:08 pm

Ranjan wrote:As I have some spare time and am bored; thought I would just do a quick review of track tyres I have used recently.

Please bear in mind that these are my own impressions under my own particular driving style and is not meant to be a definite assessment; please feel free to comment both positive and negative as all feedback is good. Also add to the list tyres you have experienced.

I will indicate whether they are Category A (more road) or B (more track).

Ok in no particular order.

Pirelli Trofeo R – in my opinion the best track day tyre currently made; really amazing levels of grip and the only tyre I have never managed to overheat; does take a couple of laps to get heat into the tyre. BUT they are terrible on the road as they don’t heat up and they hate rain. Category B.

Nankang AR-1 – This was a surprise how good this tyre was; heated up really quick and then provided great levels of grip and took a 25 minute hard session at Snetterton before some overheating was felt. Category B.

Nankang NS-2R – Now that one cannot buy the track compound performance has fallen away dramatically. Not bad for the money if you are on a budget but I cannot really recommend them anymore. Category A.

Dunlop Direzza 03G – A very close second to the Trofeo, amazing levels of grip once warm. They take a little more time warm up but they last ages before overheating. I like this tyre a lot but another tyre that does not like rain. Category B.

Federal 595 RS-R – A great budget tyre in it’s day but now getting completely outclassed by similarly priced rivals. I was 2 seconds a lap slower on these in my RX8 when compared to the AD08R at Brands Indy. Category A.

Yokohama AD08R – Brilliant budget tyre superb on track considering how cheap they are. Gave me loads of confidence mid corner and into the braking zones. Category A.

Toyo R888R – A great tyre with great grip levels but I found they overheated on me quicker than the AR-1s but they were slightly better in wet conditions. Last ages before wearing out; good value for money. Category B.

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 – The best all round tyre, in my opinion, for driving to track, having a blast then driving back home safely. Just bought a set for the RX8. Did a whole session at Spa in a 911 and kept up (just about) with better shod 911s. Category A.

Ranjan.
Tried a few have we ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hayward's Street/bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers with edfc,Racingbeat rear anti roll bar,oil pressure and oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front and rear grills,Tinted windows,folding tow hook's,595s,connect2
To do install sohn tank bracket made but still need to get time to install,caliper painting :thumright:

User avatar
mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 2124
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:04 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Copper Red
Location: Hengoed - South Wales
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 224 times

Re: Track tyres....

Post by mrspiller » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:15 pm

MightyCondor wrote:Much appreciated feedback Ranjan.

There's a few on that list that I've been tempted to try next, both on my RX8 and RX7.

The last time I compared prices, there was a big premium to move up from Federals to AD08s or ÀR1s, so I would still maintain that Federals are the best value track tyre, even if the more expensive rivals are quicker

I currently use Federals as my only tyres on the RX7 and will be looking to replace them soon. Considering either AD08s or the new Goodyear Supersports which seem to be reviewing well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Ranjan
A well written guide which couldn’t have come at a better time for me .
If it’s dry I always use slicks , Ive used Dunlop - Michelin but Pirelli seems for me the best lasting and a bit stickier , I’ve had 888 on the car as a starter tyre For about 2 years , if its wet /damp they certainly get your arms working but manageable .
My 888 have seen so many heat cycles , after around 5-7 hot laps the arse really does fall out of them . I have looked this week on prices for replacements . The AR1 are around £200 per corner and the trofeo around £250 so not a huge difference


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:57 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red
Location: Kyoto, Japan.
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: Track tyres....

Post by Ranjan » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:35 pm

MightyCondor wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:02 pm


The last time I compared prices, there was a big premium to move up from Federals to AD08s or ÀR1s, so I would still maintain that Federals are the best value track tyre, even if the more expensive rivals are quicker

Alan, where did see the price difference between the Federals and Yokos; when I got them they were both around the £80 to £100 mark.

Ranjan.

User avatar
Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:57 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red
Location: Kyoto, Japan.
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: Track tyres....

Post by Ranjan » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:37 pm

Thank you Dave, I have never seen this section on the forum #-o

Ranjan.

User avatar
Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:57 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red
Location: Kyoto, Japan.
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: Track tyres....

Post by Ranjan » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:40 pm

mrspiller wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:15 pm
MightyCondor wrote:
The AR1 are around £200 per corner and the trofeo around £250 so not a huge difference


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wayne,

Try the Dunlop D03Gs on the RX8 rather than the Trofeos which suit the heavier supercars better.

Ranjan.

User avatar
MightyCondor
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 717
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:14 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver
Location: Reading, Berks
Has thanked: 110 times
Been thanked: 184 times

Re: Track tyres....

Post by MightyCondor » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:51 pm

Ranjan wrote:
MightyCondor wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:02 pm


The last time I compared prices, there was a big premium to move up from Federals to AD08s or ÀR1s, so I would still maintain that Federals are the best value track tyre, even if the more expensive rivals are quicker

Alan, where did see the price difference between the Federals and Yokos; when I got them they were both around the £80 to £100 mark.

Ranjan.
I admit that it's probably been nearly a year since I last checked, but I'm used to the Yokos being nearer £150 a corner. If they really can be had for ~£100 now then that's a revelation to me Image

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2004 Sunlight Silver 231 Impulsive Panic Buy Rotary Shed & lesser seen RX-7 FD3s
2005 Winning Blue 231 - Loved and set free (sold) :(
2004 Winning Blue 231 - Lost at the hands of a careless BMW driver

User avatar
New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:38 pm
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black
Location: Colchester, Essex
Has thanked: 365 times
Been thanked: 258 times

Re: Track tyres....

Post by New Duke » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:42 pm

Keep in mind that the Federal 595 RS-R are available in 2 different compounds and the softer compound of the two costs about £50 more per tyre right now on Camskill. The soft should be faster too.

Thanks for the review Ranjan.

User avatar
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 1650
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:56 pm
RX-8: R3
Colour: Diamond Grey
Location: London
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 323 times

Re: Track tyres....

Post by Mpv2k3 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:52 pm

Does anyone know what is the difference between Ad08R and Ad08RS?

The AD08RS Are approximately £70 more expensive than the Ad08r.

Also the AD08R come in two different noise db levels. 70db or 75db

Do they come in different compounds? I didn't think they did.

what ones to people normally use?
Diamond Grey 2009 Mazda Rx8 R3 - Owned since June 2012
K&N Panel filter>D585-R Ignition Coil Kit>BHR Engine Mounts>Lockwood Front Grilles>Mintex M1144 brake pads>RacingBrake braided brake lines>Black Diamond G12 Grooved Brake Disc Front & Rear>Eibach Spacer's front 15mm, rear 15mm>4-Pot Front Brake >RacingBeat ARB's

User avatar
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Posts: 21600
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:56 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow
Location: Groomsport, Co Down, NI
Has thanked: 293 times
Been thanked: 1077 times
Contact:

Re: Track tyres....

Post by warpc0il » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:53 pm

These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Mpv2k3 (Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:03 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

User avatar
Mpv2k3
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 1650
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:56 pm
RX-8: R3
Colour: Diamond Grey
Location: London
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 323 times

Re: Track tyres....

Post by Mpv2k3 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:04 am

Cheers,

I'll stick with the AD08R for now then
Diamond Grey 2009 Mazda Rx8 R3 - Owned since June 2012
K&N Panel filter>D585-R Ignition Coil Kit>BHR Engine Mounts>Lockwood Front Grilles>Mintex M1144 brake pads>RacingBrake braided brake lines>Black Diamond G12 Grooved Brake Disc Front & Rear>Eibach Spacer's front 15mm, rear 15mm>4-Pot Front Brake >RacingBeat ARB's

User avatar
benedwards64
Former Member
Former Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:03 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Galaxy Grey
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Track tyres....

Post by benedwards64 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:10 am

Interesting reading. I've been running a set of older R888s and a couple of sets of newer R888Rs recently (as track-day and sprint tyres respectively). The R888Rs are noticeably quicker - 3 seconds around Kendrew, for example - but really don't cope well with heat I've found. Fine for a sprint car, but given we're double driving at events we often find the first driver has the advantage with cooler tyres. The older R888s are much more consistent, and have dealt with 20-minute hard trackday sessions with no apparent loss of grip.

I've just picked up a set of Yoko Advan A052s, so will update this (if it's ok to hijack?) in a couple of weeks when we've had a chance to try them :)

User avatar
Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:57 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red
Location: Kyoto, Japan.
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: Track tyres....

Post by Ranjan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:39 pm

Ben,

Please hijack away, the whole point of starting this topic.
I thought all you Sprint guys were using the AR-1s now?

Ranjan.

User avatar
benedwards64
Former Member
Former Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:03 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Galaxy Grey
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Track tyres....

Post by benedwards64 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:27 pm

There's quite a mix in the paddock - never used AR-1s myself, but quite a few use them and are impressed.

User avatar
neil_jdmr
Non Member
Non Member
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:02 am
Location: northumberland
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Track tyres....

Post by neil_jdmr » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:28 pm

Great review ranjan,

From the catagory A tyres i also find the yoko tyres come out on top. I infact preferred them to my 888s i had previously. Now the ns2r i found awful and terrible under braking, squirmy horrid things. This has put me off trying the ar1s but since ive only heard good things. The federal 595s i thought were pretty poor compared to similar priced yokos and again they were not great under heavy braking and seemed like the sidewalls were too soft.

Ao52s next for me

User avatar
722Adam
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:52 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red
Location: Cheshire
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 61 times

Re: Track tyres....

Post by 722Adam » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:19 pm

We use the AR-1s on our race car (BMW E36, 180bhp/tonne) as do a lot of other guys in 750MC. For the price we've found them excellent; they will put up with a 2 hour race, although you do have to manage temps towards the end. Typically we try to get away with 2 sets for a full season which isn't bad going really.

I'd put them on my RX8, but with only one set of wheels I'd be extremely wary of driving in anything but bone dry conditions on the road! :shock:
Full Bridgeport 231 - Built by Rotary Revs

Full Bridgeport / Lightened & Balanced Rotors / RRP Lightweight Pulleys / CC Ultralight Flywheel / RB Manifold / KKS Sports Cat / Toyosports Catback / D585-R Coils / Magnecor R-100 Leads / 2kW Starter / 700ml Oil Catch Tank / AEM Fuel Pump / PZ Suspension / Carbotech Brakes

User avatar
benedwards64
Former Member
Former Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:03 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Galaxy Grey
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Track tyres....

Post by benedwards64 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:29 pm

benedwards64 wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:10 am
Interesting reading. I've been running a set of older R888s and a couple of sets of newer R888Rs recently (as track-day and sprint tyres respectively). The R888Rs are noticeably quicker - 3 seconds around Kendrew, for example - but really don't cope well with heat I've found. Fine for a sprint car, but given we're double driving at events we often find the first driver has the advantage with cooler tyres. The older R888s are much more consistent, and have dealt with 20-minute hard trackday sessions with no apparent loss of grip.

I've just picked up a set of Yoko Advan A052s, so will update this (if it's ok to hijack?) in a couple of weeks when we've had a chance to try them :)
Quick follow up on this - we completed the sprint at Blyton Park last weekend, and the A052s were really very impressive. Grip levels stayed consistent throughout the day whether on a cold or warm lap, and they're much more progressive and predictable than the R888Rs. I'd never really thought about the soft sidewalls of the Toyos before, but the Yokos (at similar pressures) were so much more stable.

To top it all off, at the end of the day we got some un-timed 'fun' runs while the track was still open - an ideal opportunity for cocking about and doing some cool skidz. Except I couldn't do any cool skidz, because I couldn't unstick the blimmin thing! :lol:

Here's a vid from Blyton if anyone's interested. My time, 1:12.8, was a full second quicker than I managed in my old 600kg 160bhp Westfield on soft compound R888s a couple of years ago :shock:



You'll notice some understeer into turn 1 and some oversteer later on in the lap. I was really, really pushing by this point and I'm pretty confident I'd have ended up in the field if I'd still been on the Toyos :lol:
These users thanked the author benedwards64 for the post:
13Black (Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:00 pm)

Timmy2
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:57 pm
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Track tyres....

Post by Timmy2 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:16 pm

What would be the best tyre size for a trackday car on PZ wheels ie 8x18

User avatar
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Posts: 21600
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:56 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow
Location: Groomsport, Co Down, NI
Has thanked: 293 times
Been thanked: 1077 times
Contact:

Re: Track tyres....

Post by warpc0il » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:23 pm

PZ wheels are the same size as all the other UK-spec Series 1's i.e. 8x18
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

User avatar
Conan
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 6048
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:22 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black
Location: Cotswolds
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 689 times

Re: Track tyres....

Post by Conan » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:35 pm

Timmy2 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:16 pm
What would be the best tyre size for a trackday car on PZ wheels ie 8x18
235 x 40 x 18 is a good tyre size for the RX-8
It lowers the car 7mm, gives you a wider tyre for cornering, slightly lighter, better turn in and a touch more acceleration etc, not too much drag in a straight line for decent speed.
The Federal RSR 595,s are a good value tyre with very progressive grip and you can get 9 full open pit lane track days out of a set.
Pete
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything

Timmy2
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:57 pm
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Track tyres....

Post by Timmy2 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:45 am

I'm thinking Advan AD08Rs ,I had these on my previous track car(sapphire Cosworth) and found them very good

User avatar
benedwards64
Former Member
Former Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:03 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Galaxy Grey
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Track tyres....

Post by benedwards64 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:52 am

See my post above re: the new Advan A052s ;)

User avatar
Conan
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 6048
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:22 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black
Location: Cotswolds
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 689 times

Re: Track tyres....

Post by Conan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:25 pm

Timmy2 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:45 am
I'm thinking Advan AD08Rs ,I had these on my previous track car(sapphire Cosworth) and found them very good
What horse power were you running on that ?
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything

Post Reply

Return to “Trackday Information & FAQ's”