Oil Cooling Airflow

Equipment that may be needed plus general information on track days.
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey

Oil Cooling Airflow

Post by casey »

Having suffered oil temps of 116 degrees in an ambient of 20 degrees recently when 5-10 minutes into a track session I decided to see if there were any easy way to try and reduce the oil temp under these conditions. If I came off the power, the temps would drop noticeably within ~20 seconds, but ruins it rather the track experience! The temp is measured with an R-Spec gauge with the sensor mounted on an oil filter sandwich plate.

I came across a thread on the RX-8 US site where a number of people had adapted the front inner wheel arches to improve airflow over the oil coolers. It made sense to me, and the claims were for ~5 degree drop in temps in extreme conditions, just what I need to bring the oil temp into a "safer" range (100 ideally, 112 absolute max).

With acknowledgement to RX8club.com, here is the procedure to remove the inner wheel arches and make the mod (I have adapted the procedure slightly, having just completed the mod on my car)

1. I remove the front wheels to make it easier, BUT, you do not have to.

2. Remove the 10 or so black plastic screw nut clips with a small Phillips head screwdriver.

3. Remove the 3 Threaded steel screw nuts near/under the front lower bumper (NOT the ones what hold on the small black plastic wind deflector that looks like a ruler on it's edge).

4. The black plastic guard will now easily come apart from the main one , the removed shield is now the part you will work on.

5. Use a blade saw (or a Dremel in my case) and carefully remove the 3 vent partitions (in the two top vent slits, see the first pic) to lengthen the size so you now only have ONE middle partition vent joiner in each, so it will now look like the bottom two vents.

6. Use the Dremel to create an extra vent at the top slit.

7. Use a rasp file (or suitable Dremel tool) to smooth, straighten and correct all the new openings to match the original ones.

8. Enlarge the width existing vents by about 25% using a Dremel cutting blade (or small saw).

9. Wash off the Black plastic bits.

10. That is all, replace the shield in the reverse order when you removed it.

This is a VERY easy mod....

Note: I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT YOU ENLARGE THE VENTS TOO MUCH AS YOU ARE THEN EXPOSING YOUR OIL COOLERS TO TOO MUCH ROAD WATER SPRAY/STONE DAMAGE/WEATHER.

Before;

After;

I have a track day at Croft on 5 May. It the weather is hot (yes please 8) ) then I'll report back if the mod have improved the oil cooling!
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
duckula67
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Re: Oil Cooling Airflow

Post by duckula67 »

Interesting.
Look forward to the results!
Mods:Black wheels.Start button.AEM CAI.D585Coils.EBC ultimax discs.Yellowstuff pads.Racing fluid.Stainless brake&clutch lines,Stainless vents.Cobra Catback.Bonnet struts.Auxmod.Custom Gauge pod.Eibachs&Fast road setup.Shortshift.Sohn adapter.Comp clutch&Flywheel.N/plate offset.Red calipers.Leather Gaiter.LEDs in&out.Smoke LED rear lights.LED 3rd brake.
Clive
Sponsor Trader
Sponsor Trader
RX-8: Supercharged
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by Clive »

As discussed on the phone I would say you could go a little more extreme and make more of a difference as I did and cut out the bridges between the slots

Also there was somebody selling a vented bonnet this week which will have a dramatic effect on water temps and stop heat radiating out into the oil system -----------or alternatively you could just go slower :mrgreen:

Hope this helps
REgards
Clive

http://www.racingbeateurope.com

We aim to help and assist our customers make the right choices for their Rotary, whether they be standard or modified. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us:-
sales@racingbeateurope.com or call 01474 777 800
Boston Rotary
Forum Trader
Forum Trader
Colour: Custom

Post by Boston Rotary »

I've noticed my oil temps have gone up since fitting the greedy sump, which casey has had fitted not so long ago and wonder if this has bought the oil temp up for some reason?
Bigpete

Comp testing, parts for sale and fitting service, Servicing,
Repairs.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BostonRotary

https://www.facebook.com/BostonRotary
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

@Clive - driving slower isn't an option :wink: - but I had to at Snetterton after 5-10 min stints in the pm session to keep temps under control :cry: I might open the vents up a bit more after I get some experience as to whether it's had a noticeable effect. I was concerned about stones getting thrown in there from the wheels, although the angle of the slots helps to prevent this. I did see one guy who has removed a whole 10" square section and then cover it with a fine mesh - I might be tempted to try that!

@bigpete - interesting; before fitting the Greddy sump I had occasional water temp issues on track, but not oil temp issues....

Another observation (I believe I saw this at Snetterton) was that the oil temps would tend to stay "in control" up to about 105 degrees (just rising gradually), then the temp would rapidly rise beyond this point - and rapidly cool if I short shifted and kept revs lower

I'm going to change the oil (well, at least 4 litres via Pela pump) before Croft as it's due for a change and the extra heat cylcing might have compromised the oil's properties. Better safe than sorry!
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
Nerdstrike
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Nerdstrike »

The Greddy sump does two things - increases oil capacity, and adds different baffles. I wonder if you get some kind of hot loop in the oil flow and it doesn't cycle as much of the volume? The extra thermal capacity in the sump would slow both rise and fall of temperatures.

Alternatively, what if it were a new regime in the water cooling?
RickyG512
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Brilliant Black
Location: Croydon/ Kingston/ Heathrow/ M25 South and West Sides

Post by RickyG512 »

That RadReleif engine coolant additive is meant to bring temperatures down by 10 degrees!
Car Bought With Black Wheels, Black Windows, Petit/Miltek Full Exhaust System, High Power Start Motor

Have done - 1. All RED interior lights + LED side lights 2. Red D585 coils, 3. Fit a big spoiler which requires respray, 4. K&N air and oil filter, 5. 10W40 fuchs XTR, 4. Imitation shark fin GPS glued on the roof lol 5. Red hammerite brakes

To Do List - 1. Sohn Adapter, 2. LED fog lights

Return to “Trackday Information & FAQ's”