Lap timing, performance & video apps

Equipment that may be needed plus general information on track days.
WildMan10
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White

Lap timing, performance & video apps

Post by WildMan10 »

On track days I've not bothered with anything more than getting video on my accident DVR, on the spurious grounds that it keeps me close to the soul of fast driving. I've got gauges and mpg (!) from OBDII on my sat nav, so I've no need for Torque gauging.

I've suddenly got this mad desire to do more for Snetterton next week and have got myself confused. For example my search on the iPhone App Store throws up only newly titled Harry's lap timer.

Can someone please unconfuse me by advising:
With cost a low priority, what is the best bet for a track lap timer for a technology phobic old git?
Ditto for a performance (acceleration, bhp etc not Torque-like gauging)?
Assuming that mounting and powering is equally easy, which is the better platform for videoing and these apps: iPhone 5S, iPad mini or Nexus 7.

Please write slowly when adding anything remotely technical so I have a hope of keeping up.
Ian
Now back to one, a white R3. Gone but not forgotten: 04 Tit Grey 231, 06 Copper Red Evolve (231), 09 VR R3, 10 Aurora Blue R3, 06 Black PZ; RX87 13BREW project car ;-( ; 04 White with Greddy turbo conversion ;-(

Buying a used RX8 turbo is like marrying a stripper.
Beware - older people may be cr@p drivers but they can afford better lawyers
Flameshades
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Winning Blue

Re: Lap timing, performance & video apps

Post by Flameshades »

are you allowed to actively "time" your laps on track days? i seem to remember something about no racing no timing etc etc.
I also remember seeing a "track activity" day called HOTLAP or something like that, where you rock up they add GPS sensors to your car you get 4 laps and timed etc...

or ignore all that rubbish and get something like this http://www.aimshop.co.uk/collections/ca ... -lap-timer
maps start/finish by coordinates. i assume you press a button when on the start line, when you move it starts and when you get back to the Start/Finish line it counts a lap....
davidh
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by davidh »

I've used the Racechrono app a few times with good results. Can map the track yourself, add sectors etc... Or just download one of many preconfigured track layouts.
06-192|Street Ported|Strakes|Red Calipers and decals|Lockwood grilles|Lowered 3/4 plate|Petit Radio Knob|Sessantas 245/40|AuxMod|Nexus7|K&N panel|40th Anni spoiler|HIDs|LED sidelights|RB RamAir|Re-Amemiya shifter|Illuminated knob|Rear Grilles|Alu Fuel lid|Aero kit|DRLs|F&R DashCams|EBC Ultimax and redstuff|D585 Coils|Eibach springs|Braided brake and clutch lines|Sohn kit|Toyo decat and catback
WildMan10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by WildMan10 »

@flameshades. Thanks. Tracks generally do ban timing, presumably to keep silliness down and humour their insurers. I'm too old and sensible to use times for anything other than interest after the event. The timer you dug up is way more capable than I'll ever need and I'm wary of going faster with it
&davidh. Thanks. I'll have a look at that.
Ian
Now back to one, a white R3. Gone but not forgotten: 04 Tit Grey 231, 06 Copper Red Evolve (231), 09 VR R3, 10 Aurora Blue R3, 06 Black PZ; RX87 13BREW project car ;-( ; 04 White with Greddy turbo conversion ;-(

casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

I use racechrono, which I'd a free app on my android phone. It works well, when I remember to use it!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
SeanP
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Diamond Grey

Post by SeanP »

I think harrys lap timer looks good on ios (not used it, but videos I've seen are impresdive)... And racechrono is excellent on Android... The latter you can just record the GPS logs (a faster programmable BT GPS @5Hz update rate is more accurate than most built in 1Hz on most devices)... But the latest version of Racechrono seems to have gone into 'in-app' purchase mode for more functionality, but used to be 'free'... That pees me off somewhat because I donated to the original project and contributed to betas etc. (I. E. I've already paid something for it!).
R3, Diamond Grey = :twisted: HUGE smiles :twisted:
RoSPA & IAM (NO) Advanced Driving Tutor; Safe+Systematic+Smooth+Sparkle=FUN! Hayward rebuild@45K(s)miles, 17.5 MPG.
🏁Green Hell :D, Spa :D, AutoSolos 10+, Donnington, Oulton, Blyton, Prodrive x3, Thruxton, Brands Hatch x3, NorthWeald x5, Bedford SW. (Vids, Pics)🏁;
Never forget (28/08/09): 231, Titanium Grey, Leather.
SeanP
Club Member
Club Member

Post by SeanP »

Oh, racechrono I mean you can record and then set the start / finish lines and splits later (or load a library track) and then examine the laptimes etc. 'after' the session... Which is abiding by track rules of not timing the laps...
RoSPA & IAM (NO) Advanced Driving Tutor; Safe+Systematic+Smooth+Sparkle=FUN! Hayward rebuild@45K(s)miles, 17.5 MPG.
🏁Green Hell :D, Spa :D, AutoSolos 10+, Donnington, Oulton, Blyton, Prodrive x3, Thruxton, Brands Hatch x3, NorthWeald x5, Bedford SW. (Vids, Pics)🏁;
WildMan10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by WildMan10 »

Guys, thanks. In the end I've plumped for Harry's Lap Timer Petrolhead version as I like the look of Bob's videos.

At Snetterton I'm hoping to have the footage that'll enable me to splice together the bits where I overtake cars on their cooling down laps or have a clear track ahead so that I can show my kids how cool and fast their Dad is. They won't know that a lap time of 3.20 isn't quick . . .
Ian

SeanP
Club Member
Club Member

Post by SeanP »

I'm impressed with the Harry's videos - and a bit jealous there's no Android version...

But I think the add-ons for DashCam and RaceChrono may be nearly there (but not used them in anger for a while, since upgrades!.

3.2 seconds is pretty quick, in my books ;-)

EDIT: Oh, Damn! Behind the times... Harry's IS available on Android. Yipee!! :twisted:
cib24
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by cib24 »

TrackAddict. Does everything that Harry's Lap Timer and RaceChrono Pro do but for free. And it syncs up directly with Racerender and is even sponsored on Racerender's website. I used it at Snetterton and came away very impressed. I just need a more stable mount for my phone and a 10hz GPS receiver to get more accurate timing (phones only have 1hz which isn't great for consistency) and I'm all set.
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS

Mods - Apexi PFC @ 1.00-1.06 bar, AEM WI 250cc/min, Knight Sports DP, RE-A 80mm cat, Fujitsubo exhaust, Greddy SMIC, Koyo N-Flow, Ohlins DFVs, poly bushings, Dixcel FP 17" discs , 17"x8" BBS RG-R, Nankang NS-2R, Project Mu pads.

398 Bhp (340 Whp) @ 6,036 RPM, 350-360 lb/ft (299-307 Wlb/ft) @ 2,900 - 6,100 RPM. - 12 Nov 17

My Build Thread
tractorboy
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by tractorboy »

I'm going to try TrackAddict on iPhone. Harry's LT can be fiddly to use and crashes occasionally. Will be interesting to compare. The full featured version is £6.99.

Bob
Sold in 2017: Velocity Red RX-8 231 '04, Acquired Nov 2009, 1st RX-8
cib24
Former Member
Former Member

Post by cib24 »

Good deal on iPhone. On Android Harry's Lap Timer is £5.99 for the Rookie version and £13.99 for Pro! RaceChrono Pro is £14.99!
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS

Mods - Apexi PFC @ 1.00-1.06 bar, AEM WI 250cc/min, Knight Sports DP, RE-A 80mm cat, Fujitsubo exhaust, Greddy SMIC, Koyo N-Flow, Ohlins DFVs, poly bushings, Dixcel FP 17" discs , 17"x8" BBS RG-R, Nankang NS-2R, Project Mu pads.

398 Bhp (340 Whp) @ 6,036 RPM, 350-360 lb/ft (299-307 Wlb/ft) @ 2,900 - 6,100 RPM. - 12 Nov 17

My Build Thread
tractorboy
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by tractorboy »

Sorry Roy, that's TrackAddict that's £6.99.
Sold in 2017: Velocity Red RX-8 231 '04, Acquired Nov 2009, 1st RX-8
cib24
Former Member
Former Member

Post by cib24 »

I see. Checking out the product page on RaceRender it looks like you are correct. TrackAddict on Android is free due to a partnership with HP Tuners whereas on iPhone the free version is relatively limited.

http://racerender.com/TrackAddict/Features.html
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS

My Build Thread

Return to “Trackday Information & FAQ's”