"spare" wheels for track days?

Equipment that may be needed plus general information on track days.
Flameshades
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Winning Blue

"spare" wheels for track days?

Post by Flameshades »

so thinking about when the car will eventually get back on the road....(nearly 6 months since i beeped...)
and hope to get to as many track/activity days as I can when she's back, I have a spare set of Stock wheels that I was going to get some 595's for but wondered if this is going to have any "other" issues.

the car has been to wheels in motion to get set up on my current wheels (8.5 front and 9.5 rear with spacers making ET12)
stock wheels are only 8J as we all know, but is that going to upset the set up of the suspension etc?

I can run with the spacers on track (wasn't going to ) but if it makes all the difference I can.

Just wondered if there was anyone that swaps the wheels regular enough to know if there is any difference?

obviously slightly less track in the stock wheels without spacers but not sure if its enough for me to need to get the car set up on other wheels etc...

awaiting Input
Gary
Nerdstrike
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: "spare" wheels for track days?

Post by Nerdstrike »

That depends on what changed for your road setup. If it was tweaked to counteract the potential understeer of the fat rear tyres, you might have an issue. For what it's worth, I imagine you could get away with it albeit adapting your sense of oversteer/understeer and available grip leaving corners. Less rear camber for a broader wheel would mean your exit grip would be reduced, but it's all about specifics.
Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Bulldog »

I found its fairly minor .. I had mine checked between 9js with 235s and 8js with 225s and the adjustments were very small
It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.

More info in my project thread

Worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you are, and your reputation is who people think you are.
Flameshades
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Flameshades »

if anyone would know it would be you Mike with all those rims :)
might have to see what you are selling out of the stash.....

Return to “Trackday Information & FAQ's”